Options

[Magic: The Gathering] Duels: Origins. A colon here, a colon there.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Huh. I didn't know M14, or any of the core sets for that matter, were set anywhere.

I mean, M14 had Nephalia Seakite and Nephalia is a location on Innistrad.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Huh. I didn't know M14, or any of the core sets for that matter, were set anywhere.

I mean, M14 had Nephalia Seakite and Nephalia is a location on Innistrad.

Well, "Set on Shandalar" is kind of strong wording. It's not the same as with a set of Innistrad or RtR where there's a storyline that flows through the whole thing.

I think the core sets are used to introduce new players to the concepts of the game, and to allow Wizards to reprint just about any card that's needed for the upcoming or outgoing Standard that doesn't fit in either of the expert expansions. The new cards introduced in core sets, though, are usually taken from a setting. Formerly it was Dominaria, and for M14 it was Shandalar. You'll see references to Kalonian and Xathrid and Thune and other known Shandalaran (Shandalarian?) locations in previous core sets, but they really ramped up in recent core sets as the Shandalar setting became more central to the lore.

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/magic-fundamentals/magic-general/493827-shandalar-and-core-sets

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Shandalara-ding-dong. :D

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I didn't even bother with Sealed in 2014. Did any of you?

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    So I guess I need to cement my color identity. White/Green, White/Blue, or White/Black.

I don't even hate White/Red sometimes I guess. I liked Chandra and Gideon working together.

Decisions suck >_>

Also, @APODionysus that would be the best way to help the situation out but we'll see if it goes that way. It makes perfect sense and had thought Hearthstone should have done the same but they didn't so I have to hope Wizards has more sense on the matter.

I'm assuming that deck building counts as this year's gimmic? If so it's a solid gimmic so I'm not complaining in the least.

I'd LOVE so better looking male portraits though. I've always hated most all of the male portraits for the Duals sets. They make these crazy/creepy/super buff/ power hungry men and often pretty well rounded women. What if I want to be a pretty elf dude? Hmmm? JUDGE ME, WIZARDS!

Nah but really just something along the lines of Jace, Gideon, and Sorin are all cool looking dudes.

• Options
    There is going to be a few slots for multiple constructed decks, do not worry.

WotC would love to sell you more along with booster packs. :P

Depends on the card pool. I will go with the good old Black+Blue at the start.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

I played around with it enough to get the related cheevos, but that's about it. The potential card pool you drew from was way too small so every deck in the same colours ended up being kinda same-y. It was a wasted opportunity.

Which is why I'm also a bit worried about deckbuilding this year.

As for my colours? My primary's Green, my secondary's White. My tertiary's Black, but we only get to pick a primary and secondary colour, apparently.

Unless your chosen colours influence what cards you get for deckbuilding and there are werewolves among the Innistrad cards. Then my secondary colour would be Red.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

Oh yes. I played 5 or 6 of them. I think most of my runs were with Bw all-the-removal decks, and the AI wasn't any great shakes. But it scratched that sealed deck itch well enough to keep me coming back for more a few times.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    I'll check it out later then.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    I'll check it out later then.

It wasn't that bad but as @WotanAnubis mentioned, the card pool was very small and you were fighting very similar decks. I had a B/W primary deck and a mono green deck since my other colors sucked ... well that and I got two of those tree dudes that were hexproof and grew with the size of forests you had.

The main game was more enjoyable by far though. My wife bought the Fairy deck and she's unlocking that before the pair of us go into Two Headed giant mode. My primary decks are Avacyn and the Jace's Illusion decks. Both are a lot of fun. But green is so much more foresty and nice!

... I'll never decide and I'll never be happy. Period.

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options

Incredible stuff. Thank you for sharing. It's looking great so far and sure enough, the portrait the guy is using is pretty solid looking.

• Options
    I'm at work so I only saw some sections. The portrait looked like that Dack dude from the comics.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    THIS WAS MEANT FOR CHAT WHAT THE BUTT

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Huh?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Excited about the new release. Not that jazzed about deck building though. Limited is fun sometimes. But constructed was always daunting to me. And as someone had posted earlier, I hope it doesn't end up like Hearthstone where the starting sets are complete garbage and so you are forced to build something different from the beginning or don't bother playing with other players.

I played sealed a few times. Lucked out into a mono black deck with way too much removal. But after a while you simply saw the same cards too often for it to feel enjoyable.

• Options
    Don't worry, I don't think there will be a lot of variety and a meta will appear ASAP.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Excited about the new release. Not that jazzed about deck building though. Limited is fun sometimes. But constructed was always daunting to me. And as someone had posted earlier, I hope it doesn't end up like Hearthstone where the starting sets are complete garbage and so you are forced to build something different from the beginning or don't bother playing with other players.

I played sealed a few times. Lucked out into a mono black deck with way too much removal. But after a while you simply saw the same cards too often for it to feel enjoyable.

As has been pointed out, if this is the new gimmick for this generation (please give us Commander one day as its own game) then HOPEFULLY it will be separated from the core deck field. Because yeah ... Hearthstone's setup is straight up stupid.

That being said, IF they're smart about it (and I think they will be) then they have HISTORY on their side and the resourced to go through and look at which cards to put in the pull for deck building. This will allow people to experiment for sure but also prevent one or two single meta builds like back in the day with normal standard when it was all Cawblade, all the time (thank you Jace and Stoneforge Mystic).

Just asking a few top end magic players to look through their selection would go a long way towards helping with this as well.

Not to mention, unlike Hearthstone, you don't have hero powers and hero restricted access divided between 9 types. Just five mana colors.

And if that is Dackan I'm fine with that. I don't hate the guy what few comics I read with him in it.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Nyht wrote: »
    cptrugged wrote: »

As has been pointed out, if this is the new gimmick for this generation (please give us Commander one day as its own game) then HOPEFULLY it will be separated from the core deck field. Because yeah ... Hearthstone's setup is straight up stupid.

That being said, IF they're smart about it (and I think they will be) then they have HISTORY on their side and the resourced to go through and look at which cards to put in the pull for deck building. This will allow people to experiment for sure but also prevent one or two single meta builds like back in the day with normal standard when it was all Cawblade, all the time (thank you Jace and Stoneforge Mystic).

Just asking a few top end magic players to look through their selection would go a long way towards helping with this as well.

Not to mention, unlike Hearthstone, you don't have hero powers and hero restricted access divided between 9 types. Just five mana colors.

And if that is Dackan I'm fine with that. I don't hate the guy what few comics I read with him in it.

In the other games they've put out, the base decks have all been fairly even, the problem decks have all been DLC, which may or may not have the same balance team. So they probably will have a decent pool of cards without anything too silly. Or at least with full deckbuilding you'll be able to have a way to handle the silly stuff.

• Options
    I've been playing 2014 again and getting constant people which has been nice. I'm still using the Avaycn base deck and haven't found a new deck yet I thought was nuts. Still winning against most of them. Fairies seems underwhelming but I guess without Bitterblossom, not sure how the fae hold up.

Still haven't found an elf deck yet which I really want to go up against

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the avacyn deck in 2014 is easily one of the top 3 if not the best deck in the game

pre-DLC it was definitely the best

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I liked playing theme decks and Human Hunters is an awesome theme (with angelic protectors. Its friggen Supernatural!)

I also love Jace's Illusion deck a lot. Again, themes.

OH, speaking of DLC and unlocks ... each of my decks now has like another 10 cards behind lock and key but I don't know how to unlock them? Anyone able to point me in a good direction how to do so?

• Options
    pawa24pawa24 Registered User regular
    Well this will be interesting. Gruul has always been my main guild since I first started playing in the first Ravnica block. Smash and burn all the way.

• Options
    I liked playing theme decks and Human Hunters is an awesome theme (with angelic protectors. Its friggen Supernatural!)

I also love Jace's Illusion deck a lot. Again, themes.

OH, speaking of DLC and unlocks ... each of my decks now has like another 10 cards behind lock and key but I don't know how to unlock them? Anyone able to point me in a good direction how to do so?

Check the OP for the codes. You enter them in the Extras section if I'm not wrong.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Well, it seems 2HG is out of the next release. :(

I hope it's corrected.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    It'd be nice if they stopped removing fun modes every fucking year. Especially after how lame sealed was in 2014.

• Options

I hope it's corrected.

But ...

But ...

... I liked that best ... T_T

What about free for all of up to 4 players?

• Options
    MaytagMaytag Registered User regular

I hope it's corrected.

2HG is the only reason I buy these games, what a stupid decision if that's true.

Sorely missed Archenemy in 2014 as well, can't believe they're dropping 2HG next.

If there's no replacing co-op mode then they have at least lost one customer.

3DS: 1392 - 5070 - 7853
  • Options

I hope it's corrected.

But ...

But ...

... I liked that best ... T_T

What about free for all of up to 4 players?

This what everyone got from comments in examiner article:
    Can you confirm if 2hg is in the game this year? It is the main reason I play the game.

There's just four player free for all.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Judging by the video the 2015 build had some options disabled so no need to be alarmed.

I just hope it doesn't end up a Xbox One exclusive.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    wait why remove 2HG?..... that mode was awesome especially when you and a friend really synergized your decks.

that blows especially since thats how i got people interested in magic the first place.

:\

Harbringer197 on
  • Options
    Wait for a definite announcement.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Listening to that deck building interview it almost sounded like they were doing away with basic decks? That can't be right though ...

• Options
    For those that wanna pay to unlock decks Gold bundles will be made available during week for DotP 2014: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1476

I still haven't modified the OP. :neutral_face:

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    In some ways it surprises me they are adding custom deck building to Duels at all.

I mean, I'm glad they are.

But for me, what made DOTP work as a gateway drug into MTGO was the fact that I couldn't build my own decks and really wanted to. DOTP made me want to build crazy decks, so I turned to 'real' Magic. Seems like an effective system for them.

• Options
    From what I read in the WotC forums the deck building will have some limitations on the number of rares and uncommons you can add to a deck.

Good for people that are starting but if we end up with 90% vanilla commons it could get boring fast.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I really got several bad decks in deck building even when I kept restarting it
    I really do hope they fix it [unlikely]

• Options
    Issues with 2014? Check this thread on the WotC forums : http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/3753271

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    The Yu-Gi-Oh! game for XBLA and PSN is available in more regions. Yay!

I'll check it out later.

XBL - ArchSilversmith