As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Total War: Discussion] Total WAAAAAAAAGH WARHAMMER!

• Options
    boosterburnboosterburn Registered User regular
    I know I am in the minority here, but I like this game a LOT more then Shogun 2.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    I know I am in the minority here, but I like this game a LOT more then Shogun 2.

I wouldn't say that. I like Shogun 2, and Rome 2 is pretty awesome as well. I think they play pretty differently, so any preference, for me, would be based mostly on setting and the peculiarities of the games. I wouldn't say that one is inherently "better" than the other.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    I really like both, but I'm much more familiar with the setting in Rome 2 than in Shogun 2, so it took a while for Shogun 2 to really grow on me.

I've played a bit of Caesar in Gaul now, and the seasons seem like an interesting mechanic.
    I'll need to hole up for the winter, and then invade my neighbours come spring...

• Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Is there a consensus on the Caesar expansion? Wondering if I should pick it up or keep my powder dry for a bit...

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »

I wouldn't say that. I like Shogun 2, and Rome 2 is pretty awesome as well. I think they play pretty differently, so any preference, for me, would be based mostly on setting and the peculiarities of the games. I wouldn't say that one is inherently "better" than the other.

It definitely is inherently better. Shogun 2 never gets boring in the mid-game like Rome 2 does every time.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »

It definitely is inherently better. Shogun 2 never gets boring in the mid-game like Rome 2 does every time.

Except for the geography of japan allowing you to basically blockade everything with two maybe 3 armies and advance all unstoppable like.

Rome 2 actually is hard and the ai can pull some tricky maneuvers outside of sieges.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Massena wrote: »
    Is there a consensus on the Caesar expansion? Wondering if I should pick it up or keep my powder dry for a bit...

I got it as a Christmas present and I'm enjoying it. It's a little more interesting than the Grand Campaign, since the seasons change and such, although it doesn't take long playing as Rome to get everyone hating you, because there's a diplomatic penalty that's tied to your faction status.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I've put over 50 hours into this game, and there are just a ton of really small bugs and issues that keep it from becoming really great. It's addictive, but it's relying on the same formula that has basically defined this series from the beginning. Almost everything feels like a step back. Even the way the units fight feels worse somehow. There's very little unit cohesion, cavalry units refuse to run down unmounted soldiers (even when they're shattered) and instead herky-jerky between engaging individual soldiers and not engaging them, getting units off and on walls is an exercise in futility, both the battlefield and the campaign AI is a combination of really straightforward and strangely stupid at random times, etc. etc. etc. And do not get me started in naval battles. When your entire navy is predicated on the idea of ramming other ships over and over again, having the movement AI decide that it always needs to turn around in order to back up is about 17 levels of asinine.

It also doesn't help that there's a bunch of stuff that is clearly half-finished, from the political family system to the diplomacy voice acting to the battle engine itself (I have everything set to Very High and it looks worse than Shogun 2?). Also, is it just me, or is the camera zooming just kind of off-kilter? Sometimes you can zoom in to see units, and sometimes you can only hover just above them while they're on the bottom half of the screen, almost like you're peeking at them from under a blanket or something.

Anyway, I'm at the point in the Rome campaign where I know that finishing out the map is a matter of time, and I don't know if I can be bothered to finish. I've definitely had some fun, but I'm pretty sure I would have had more fun just playing a re-skinned Shogun 2 with more/different units. In all honesty, I'm actually thinking about uninstalling Rome 2 and re-installing Shogun 2 instead. For some reason I never replayed it even after picking up the DLC, so maybe now would be a good time to revisit it...

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Moridin889 wrote: »

Except for the geography of japan allowing you to basically blockade everything with two maybe 3 armies and advance all unstoppable like.

Rome 2 actually is hard and the ai can pull some tricky maneuvers outside of sieges.

Rome 2 is not that hard, and I have never seen said "Tricky maneuvers outside of sieges". The only hard parts I have seen is when the AI builds up stack after stack and sits at their cities doing nothing instead of conquering their neighbors. The AI is so fucking stagnant that the biggest "Empires" I've ever seen consist of like 2-3 provinces. At least the Shogun 2 AI is always doing something, always scheming, always warring, and actually accomplishing shit.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular

Rome 2 is not that hard, and I have never seen said "Tricky maneuvers outside of sieges". The only hard parts I have seen is when the AI builds up stack after stack and sits at their cities doing nothing instead of conquering their neighbors. The AI is so fucking stagnant that the biggest "Empires" I've ever seen consist of like 2-3 provinces. At least the Shogun 2 AI is always doing something, always scheming, always warring, and actually accomplishing shit.

That's not been my experience. In my Seleucids campaign, the Lugii (or whatever that Germanic tribe is called) forged an empire of like 6 complete provinces. That said, it was the only other serious empire besides my own.

• Options

I took a settlement and the owners had hidden 3 full armies in the mountains who came down to crush me for my impudence. I couldn't run because I was out of movement.

The ai uses naval forces. Shogun they'd take the trade resources and raid trading routes, but sending armies? Never.

They use the reinforcements pretty well, and agents to keep you off kilter. Anything involving combat in walled towns needs some work, yes. But overall, the campaign ai is better at planning. Probably needs a tune to its city management though, which leads to all the one province nations woth squalor threatening revolutions.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Okay, I can't seem to find anything, but it seems crazy to me that this mod would not exist yet.

Does anyone have a mod where right click brings up the detail page instead of the goddamn encyclopedia, like EVERY OTHER TOTAL WAR GAME EVER?

• Options
    What detail page? The one that comes up when you press 2?

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I believe so, yes (I only started messing with the game last night). When I right click on a city, I want the details of that city (the public order, etc). When I right click on a general, I want the details of that general. When I right click on a spy, I want the details of the spy.

I don't want to know what a city, general, or spy IS. I want to know about that specific one.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I believe so, yes (I only started messing with the game last night). When I right click on a city, I want the details of that city (the public order, etc). When I right click on a general, I want the details of that general. When I right click on a spy, I want the details of the spy.

I don't want to know what a city, general, or spy IS. I want to know about that specific one.

Just leftclick or mouseover, that will give you all the info about that specific unit you're going to get, I think. It just takes some getting used to, but I agree that it's a little annoying and I've found myself opening the encyclopedia unintentionally more often than not.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    I don't know, the UI of Rome II still bugs me. I can't seem to get into the game like everyone else. Maybe Rome:Total War spoiled me too much, but right now Shogun 2 and Fall of the Samurai are in my eyes, superior to Rome II.

The intro cinematic to Rome II is ultra lame; the music is not as good; the AI seems worse; the unit cards make it difficult to tell what units are which; the special abilities have made this game into a micro managing nightmare; you can't garrison troops in cities unless you have generals; and waiting for ALL THOSE NATIONS to take a turn is mind boggling as to how stupid it is.

I'm still trying to give this game a shot, but it's totally taken several steps backward from Shogun and the original Rome.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Anyone else playing Caesar in Gaul?

Every time you conquer a province you get -5 diplomacy with all factions....not sure how it's possible to win this while taking all Gaul. I ended up having 5 full stacks as Rome but unable to hold back every other faction sending all their men at me. I'm trying a second try and the first 3 provinces or so I will just subjegate the enemy, but after I take the Suebi I'll start to exterminate the client state factions before they start all rebelling.

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Man I had this one german tribe crushing me again and again with some insanely good placement of agents and armies with all of the approaches forcing my stacks into single file marching through snow attrition and stopping other stacks and jumping all on one. However Artillery remains way to powerful

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    Well, new patch dropped.

AI is kicking my ass on the campaign map. Carthage, Libya, Eratean league, whatever the hell it is and some barbarians north of Italy decided to all simultaneously attack me. I haven't been able to generate enough income to field a proper army and have been struggling to keep the public order under control, even with the temples.

The other factions just aren't give me a chance to tech up and my allies refuse to enter an alliance with me. It's just non stop attack after attack after attack.

Now on the battle map, I've managed to pull off some miraculous victories. The AI is still pretty stupid when attacking your city and sometimes won't send the full brunt of their force. (Unless they're reserves.)

I can usually bait the AI with levees and velitates, but man. It's been a frustrating campaign, and I'm only playing on normal. I am clearly doing something very wrong. (House Julia)

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I always want to play these games but I suck at them.

A lot.

It's usually fine on the battle map but the strategic one is hard to wrap my head around.

I mean I couldn't rid Italy of the etruscan league because some damn guals attacked and destroyed my legion that went around the north of the Apennines...

• Options
    I looked up the latest patch notes on the wiki, and I noticed someone had added a description of the political system.

wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War_ROME_II:_Politics_Guide

I've been playing the Caesar in Gaul campaign as Rome, but I had to give up because everyone went to war with me.
    I think the main problem was that I kept too many settlements for myself, instead of making them client states.
    Now I've restarted the Gaul campaign with the Arverni. Should be interesting.

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    Interesting, thanks for the link

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I always want to play these games but I suck at them.

A lot.

It's usually fine on the battle map but the strategic one is hard to wrap my head around.

I mean I couldn't rid Italy of the etruscan league because some damn guals attacked and destroyed my legion that went around the north of the Apennines...

I'm the opposite. I can handle the strategic map, but I'm awful at the tactical level. Bleh

• Options
    Is there any way to view the Rome 2 encyclopedia on the web?

• Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Prisca on
  • Options
    Prisca wrote: »

Great, thanks a lot!

• Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    /rant on
    Did the latest patch just break siege equipment?

Heavy siege towers are finicky at best, having my men fall off them to there deaths (including the scoprion at the top) While completely stationary and not under any fire at all, also refusing to move until they've been dismounted/remounted... and the tortoise? i told it to destroy a wall section and after it (finally) did it it just stopped. i could no longer use it/interact with it at all so it was stuck there...

So for warned, if sieging cities just bring the 'ol reliable balista spam to take out the towers/gate/wall and don't try anything fancy. (like siege equipment designed for that very purpose).

/rant off

But apart from that i've actually been having alot of fun playing recently! currently playing a heavily modded spartan game, a slightly modded roman game and a completely mod free Baktria game (Fuck horse archers, for real.)

1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    Has anyone had good results with slaves?
    I've just avoided using them at all (except those you start with), and always releasing or killing prisoners.
    It seems the public order penalty is big enough to discourage using slaves at all.

• Options
    Finally got this.

Tried Iceni for my first game and fumbled the opening really badly. Going to restart and do it right this time.

• Options
    RichardRichard Registered User regular
    Anyone having problems with updating this game? Even the smaller patches takes forever and grinds my computer to a halt every time. Just want to make sure before I delete and re-install the whole thing.

• Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    So I recall the devs making big promises about fixing the problems with this, back at launch.

Have they lived up to that? Should I finally give this a go?

• Options
    Tayrun wrote: »
    So I recall the devs making big promises about fixing the problems with this, back at launch.

They have fixed and adjusted a lot of things. Which specific problems are you talking about?

• Options
    Ivar wrote: »

They have fixed and adjusted a lot of things. Which specific problems are you talking about?

I got the impression that there were a lot of small problems holding the game back from being great, rather than being a small number of big problems?

Problems with unit movement on the battle maps would be the stuff that pissed me off the most though - still annoyed with the few times that happened in Rome 1. Is that sorted or is there still glitchy nonsense happening?

• Options
    I didn't notice anything, but I suck at the battle map...

• Options
    Ivar wrote: »

I got the impression that there were a lot of small problems holding the game back from being great, rather than being a small number of big problems?

Problems with unit movement on the battle maps would be the stuff that pissed me off the most though - still annoyed with the few times that happened in Rome 1. Is that sorted or is there still glitchy nonsense happening?

The AI sucks at dealing with walls and siege weapons. Occasionally walking directly into fire in order to have a solid front line.

Otherwise I have no idea what you're talking about. Just to be sure I played for 5 hours to check though :) Still fun to me

• Options
    I appreciate your heavy commitment to being sure in your answer, there. :)

I think I'll leave it for a few more patches, let them sort the battle map fully.

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    If it hasn't been fixed by now it probably won't be. Just play it and have fun. To paraphrase Voltaire, don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

• Options
    I've put 260 hours into the game since release, and I haven't noticed anything that makes the game not fun.

• Options
    This game gets boring after three hours of play. I went back to Shogun 2/Kingdoms: Stainless Steel, and found a rough gem in Empire; This after bashing Empire for years, even with Darthmod.

Empire had so much potential in terms of the era. It also actually worked well with Warscape. Why the hell didn't we get an Empire 2:Victoria set in the 1800s as the swan song of Warscape? They had like 50% of the work done for them on the battle's side of things with Fall of the Samurai. Hell, they could have even had Shogunate/Imperial Japan be a faction. They also finally balanced musket combat, and had it work pretty well with the whole modern/ranged vs. traditional/melee dynamic. They could have used the lessons they learned in FOTS/Shogun 2 and applied it to a new Empire.

But no, they had to work on Rome 2, and streamline things way too far campaign-wise, when Shogun 2 was already pretty fantastic on cutting down micromanagement and being accessible without making the game too simple. I also don't like that you can't make walls for every city. I understand the idea behind it being to prevent a slog of siege after siege, but you could always just fight an open battle anyway by starving a castle out and waiting for them to sally out.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I picked Rome 2 up recently. I have always wanted to love the Total War series, but I am so bad at RTS games. These total war games have kicked my ass for years now. After several false starts on the grand campaign I think I am getting the hang of things. I picked Rome to start. I spent the weekend dominating the Italian peninsula. Last night I get an objective to start up the first Punic War. I don't intend on having a second. I set sail for Karalis and by some small miracle it was almost totally undefended. Carthage was at war with another neighbor already so they really weren't expecting me. I marched into the city with 2 full stack armies and half a stack of boats. Not a single one of those Punic DOGS made it out alive. I than set my sights on Carthage herself. After a quick resupply we sailed for Africa. It just so happens that Carthage was launching a massive invasion force aimed at their neighbor again leaving the city relatively undefended. I basically just marched in through the back door and took the city.

Is it worth it to plunder a city? From the description, plundering it will cause public order to go to hell. Also, anyone have tips on improving public order? I already had to put down several uprisings in conquered cities. Is is just a matter of researching an building the right buildings? I have armies garrisoned in the cities with the lowest levels of public order, but it does not seem to be going up.

This discussion has been closed.