As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Total War: Discussion] Total WAAAAAAAAGH WARHAMMER!

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I read about The End Times and it seemed shitty for long term fans in both game investment and narrative. But its Chaos so oh well. It makes me wish this was Age of Sigmar.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I read about The End Times and it seemed shitty for long term fans in both game investment and narrative. But its Chaos so oh well. It makes me wish this was Age of Sigmar.

Metanarratives are never able to satisfy everyone, especially if they go into apocalyptic territory.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The End Times started really good with the Nagash book but the later books just didn't keep up the quality. Some rather major characters from the lore just vanished or didn't show up at all throughout the story and and lacking communication between the different authors and editors led to some plotholes/contradictions between the books and then were some rather "Giant Twists" for twists sake that were rather devisive, particularly in the Khaine book I think.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

I think making the giant armies game the video game franchise (and thus making all of those fucking rules automatic, and you don't have to buy/paint so many figures) is a great idea.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Woo! Finished the Dwarf Long campaign on easy. Hardest part was recapturing the Dwarven holds in the Chaos wastes while clearing out my entire Book of Grudges and keeping it clear.

Definitely recommend running the game on Easy until you figure out all the mechanics. Even at the end game I was receiving quests for Thanes to scout areas, and it took me a while to figure out that I had to use the minimap to find where to place them, then use the activate hero button for them to actually scout.

Next up, I am going to try Empire.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Woo! Finished the Dwarf Long campaign on easy.

Me too!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Woo! Finished the Dwarf Long campaign on easy.

Me too!

I managed the Short Campaign after like 150 turns, then it took another 40 turns for me to figure out all the conditions for the Long Campaign.

It is very difficult to maintain positive relations with the other empires when there are no Chaos, Orcs, or Vampires marauding about.

Also, some of the quest battles for the Grudgebearer king are a lot of fun. Knowing what I know now, I would probably try to make sure to have backup stacks though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I've been trying out the various spells for the empire...and I can say this.

1. Damage spells are overall "eh" now. At least for the empire. None of that "ultradoom of death" that we saw in the promo videos.
    2. But holy smokes the debuff/buff spells are powerful. I just had two units of Reiksguard take down two full units of Black Knights and then some crypt horrors "like that". Dropping the armor debuff from Gelt plus the buff from one of the other wizards and the undead just melted.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options

1. Damage spells are overall "eh" now. At least for the empire. None of that "ultradoom of death" that we saw in the promo videos.
    2. But holy smokes the debuff/buff spells are powerful. I just had two units of Reiksguard take down two full units of Black Knights and then some crypt horrors "like that". Dropping the armor debuff from Gelt plus the buff from one of the other wizards and the undead just melted.

There's an issue where spells don't scale with different unit size settings so spells that damage units get less effective with larger unit sizes.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I absolutely want to play this but I refuse to buy until Skaven are in. No screaming bell, no buy!

Crayon on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

There's an issue where spells don't scale with different unit size settings so spells that damage units get less effective with larger unit sizes.

IIRC on a couple spells this problem goes the other way; I there is one spell (I think it's a Lore of Death one?) that on the smallest unit size will one-shot most monsterous units, and a 1-2 combo that will one-shot any lord, at least on multi battles.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Crayon wrote: »
    I absolutely want to play this but I refuse to buy until Skaven are in. No screaming bell, no buy!

I actually had an event popup that said a bunch of my population disappeared and all that could be found was some upside down triangles painted onto the walls.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I actually had an event popup that said a bunch of my population disappeared and all that could be found was some upside down triangles painted onto the walls.

I also has one about city-sized ships off the coast raiding trade ships for slaves.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

Me too!

I was pretty happy to see that, there's definitely some love for the skaven on the way. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for other events that hint at other races. Sometimes I get guys from Albion offering sorcerous crap - could be dark elves!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »

I also has one about city-sized ships off the coast raiding trade ships for slaves.

Aren't the big slavers the Chaos Dwarves?

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Chaos Dwarfs don't have the "Life is cheap." trait*.

*Its been a while so I'm not sure Skaven still don't give a shit if wave after wave of slaves die.

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Vampire Counts are as much fun as I hoped they would be. I decided to split my army stacks into gimmicks so Manfred is leading "Team Zombie Shergar" with nothing but cavalry, and then I have a Necromancer lord whose army consists entirely of various forms of murderbat.
    I have a third stack which has sensible army comp, but fuck those guys I hate them and only use them as back up for easy auto resolve wins.

I assume that one is a reference to Dark Elves and their Black Arks.

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Been playing this a bit, as Dwarves (since my favorites from tabletop, the Lizardmen, aren't in). Not having played a Total War game since Shogun 2, I'm having some trouble adapting.

Also, is it just me, or do most greenskin units have shit for morale? Because between grudgethrowers and quarrelers I often have a chunk of the enemy army near-breaking or straight up retreating by the time they even hit melee.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Someone found this world map in the game files, and they added captions on what factions would be there
    iicqh2zy57fq.jpeg

CA really doesn't like any part of South America, even fake South America, but the top.

Also they found boat unit pics.

Ulthuan is too far south, Naggaroth is too thin. The Great Ocean has become the Narrow Sea.

...was hoping a little we'd see the eastern kingsoms.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    Drascin wrote: »
    Been playing this a bit, as Dwarves (since my favorites from tabletop, the Lizardmen, aren't in). Not having played a Total War game since Shogun 2, I'm having some trouble adapting.

Also, is it just me, or do most greenskin units have shit for morale? Because between grudgethrowers and quarrelers I often have a chunk of the enemy army near-breaking or straight up retreating by the time they even hit melee.

Many have shit for morale, especially the goblins and trolls. The others also have crappy morale compared to Dwarf units. They will still be annoying though as once they move past goblin units they become considerably hardier and they just move a lot faster than stubby dwarf legs can manage. It's been the norm to have to rout each greenskin melee unit twice as the dwarfs since they'll break early but then come back since I can't reliable chase them down to finish the unit without severely compromising my battle lines. And then the surviving greenskins lead me on a Benny Hill chase as they raid and I can't quite catch up until I get an ambush off.

On the plus in my current game I won't have to deal with that much longer. Finally cleaned up the badlands of Top Knotz and Greenskin cities and the Greenskins are down to one heavily wounded army and one holding under siege by an ally up north. Being able to build up my economy will be helpful as I've had one lord with no army for quite a while but he came with enough levels to not want to let him go.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Greenskins become much more dangerous once they have lots of calvary to attack flanks and siege machines to destroy the dwarven tightly formed and slow moving lines.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

Many have shit for morale, especially the goblins and trolls. The others also have crappy morale compared to Dwarf units. They will still be annoying though as once they move past goblin units they become considerably hardier and they just move a lot faster than stubby dwarf legs can manage. It's been the norm to have to rout each greenskin melee unit twice as the dwarfs since they'll break early but then come back since I can't reliable chase them down to finish the unit without severely compromising my battle lines. And then the surviving greenskins lead me on a Benny Hill chase as they raid and I can't quite catch up until I get an ambush off.

Yeah, this is basically how it's been working for me. I rout things easily, but then they come back because I can't chase. And even when I get a victory, I can't catch the retreating enemy, so I will have to fight them again next turn. It becomes a battle of attrition. Thankfully, they lose more dudes than I do, up to now, because quarrelers take down a fair amount of dudes on retreat before they go out of range, while I'm not losing too many people.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular

Yeah, this is basically how it's been working for me. I rout things easily, but then they come back because I can't chase. And even when I get a victory, I can't catch the retreating enemy, so I will have to fight them again next turn. It becomes a battle of attrition. Thankfully, they lose more dudes than I do, up to now, because quarrelers take down a fair amount of dudes on retreat before they go out of range, while I'm not losing too many people.

If you get an option to intercept orcs using the underway take it. Similarly move around yourself and hope the orcs intercept you.
    Underway battles happen on a long flat corridor which suits dwarfs as you can block the entire corridor with heavy infantry so no-one can flank you.

But best of all whoever loses an underway battle loses the entire stack. So no chasing down fleeing greenskins!

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Wow.

If you guys haven't tried Witch Hunters, do so. They get an ability that's a single target damage dealer. And they have a 300 damage pistol. Just two shot Sigvald the Magnificent. Then a giant for good measure.

• Options
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Someone found this world map in the game files, and they added captions on what factions would be there
    iicqh2zy57fq.jpeg

CA really doesn't like any part of South America, even fake South America, but the top.

Ulthuan is too far south, Naggaroth is too thin. The Great Ocean has become the Narrow Sea.

That's clearly not to scale. It's mostly a "okay,what's the plan for next game" rough draft.

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    I need Dark Elves in this game so bad I can taste it.
    Everything I'm doing right now is just spinning my wheels as I wait to be able to burn Ulthuan to ashes.
    I'm guessing Malekith and Morathi will be the two starting lord choices but I'm kind of hoping by the time we get to Dark Elves they've expanded the lords so we can get some Malus Darkblade or maybe even some Hellebron action.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Late-ish game you'll get Slayers and Gyrocopters. Slayers are the fastest dwarf ground units and one of the few that are anti-large, so they're best for monstrous units and chasing down fleeing infantry (but not archers, they're also the only dwarf unit that isn't armored have innate missile resistance, so go ahead, have them chase down archers) Gyrocopters are faster than Slayers, and being fliers means they're also great for disrupting artillery that your dwarfs normally have to counter-siege or just deal with it until the rest of the army is dead.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    This game intrigues me and I played it for a bit. It's fun, but I don't have any idea what's happening on the strategic map half of the time.

The battles are awesome and super fun and I got my ass kicked a couple times.

Never played a Total War game before this, but I do love me some Warhammer. I think I might give the vampire counts or chaos warriors a try, greenskins were tough because my units keep running away, I guess because goblins suck like that.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Im invading the Norscan lands, oh look theres a stack, theres another, and another. 8 full armies later they stop appearing.
    then 4 of them strike at one of their former cities, guarded by one of my armies and a garrison. I set up in a nice corner conveniently on a hill and await the coming storm. They had about 3000 infantry, 2000 cavalry and 1000 warhounds
    My dwarfs held the line, but the garrison took a bunch of casualties. My quarrellers ran low on ammo, but my cannons had a field day firing into massive clumps of men.

The biggest battle I fought and I forgot to save the replay!!

• Options

Late-ish game you'll get Slayers and Gyrocopters. Slayers are the fastest dwarf ground units and one of the few that are anti-large, so they're best for monstrous units and chasing down fleeing infantry (but not archers, they're also the only dwarf unit that isn't armored have innate missile resistance, so go ahead, have them chase down archers) Gyrocopters are faster than Slayers, and being fliers means they're also great for disrupting artillery that your dwarfs normally have to counter-siege or just deal with it until the rest of the army is dead.

I've heard some mixed things about Slayers due to their lack of any armor. Ditto Gyrocopters though I think the faction most likely to mess with them doesn't have any artillery anyway (Vampires and their murder bats and bigger murder bat).

Steam Profile
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

I've heard some mixed things about Slayers due to their lack of any armor. Ditto Gyrocopters though I think the faction most likely to mess with them doesn't have any artillery anyway (Vampires and their murder bats and bigger murder bat).

Slayers die fast but kill faster, they have a death wish, grant it to them, and then recruit more.

• Options
    Speaking of recruiting units, it's been weird to suddenly have to need to encamp an army or have it garrisoned to recruit more units after having first done a game as the Vampire Counts who can request units from anywhere in a province without changing stance. A small but meaningful difference to instill that their logistic considerations are different.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I got Deathclaw (named Griffin) for Frederick whatever his name is.

First battle was a siege and the enemy had two mortarsin their full stack. I just casually flew him over the walls, decimated both mortar units and then one by one killed all their archer units. He had like 70% health at the end and had destroyed at least half their army by himself.

I looove it.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I got Deathclaw (named Griffin) for Frederick whatever his name is.

First battle was a siege and the enemy had two mortarsin their full stack. I just casually flew him over the walls, decimated both mortar units and then one by one killed all their archer units. He had like 70% health at the end and had destroyed at least half their army by himself.

I looove it.

The melee hero units are really devastating. That said, Grimgor seems to have the below average morale issues of orcs in general and fights against him have been very binary. Some times he attacks a settlement's garrison and obliterates the melee units. Other times he takes the full focus of several crossbow units as he charges in and only can engage in melee for a little bit before he starts to "nope, nope, nope" his way out of the fight.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Things are looking pretty good in my Empire game. I have secured the Reikland as well as a chunk of Bastonne via Montefort and a piece of the Forest of Arden via Gisoreux. I have two full armies and a third that is enforcing in Montfort. My borders are strong and nearly everyone along then to the east is a little bit of coaxing away from joining my confederation.

I've also wiped out the forces of chaos (by chasing them across the map one by one with Karl Franz) and am sitting on 48k gold and 4.7k income per turn.

I'm curious though, since I seem to be close to finishing this play through, do the chaos warriors continue to come back after being defeated? I could have sworn I saw a message saying they had but I clicked through it too fast to be sure.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    Konphujun wrote: »
    Things are looking pretty good in my Empire game. I have secured the Reikland as well as a chunk of Bastonne via Montefort and a piece of the Forest of Arden via Gisoreux. I have two full armies and a third that is enforcing in Montfort. My borders are strong and nearly everyone along then to the east is a little bit of coaxing away from joining my confederation.

I've also wiped out the forces of chaos (by chasing them across the map one by one with Karl Franz) and am sitting on 48k gold and 4.7k income per turn.

I'm curious though, since I seem to be close to finishing this play through, do the chaos warriors continue to come back after being defeated? I could have sworn I saw a message saying they had but I clicked through it too fast to be sure.

I think but am not sure that they will come back until Archaon spawns at which point they start behaving more like a normal faction: Still able to come back while the faction has armies around but knock out all four before any can respawn and they're down for good. At the very least they didn't come back after 100ish turns since their total defeat in my Vampire game.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    iicqh2zy57fq.jpeg

That's clearly not to scale. It's mostly a "okay,what's the plan for next game" rough draft.

Couldn't it be though? They compressed Estalia and Tilea to a third of their sizes for more Brettonia and Empire room.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    As the Empire, is it even possible to JUST win the Short campaign? The only difference seems to be "Wipe out Vampire Counts", which is pretty much going to happen if you've taken control over Sylvania personally or through allies.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    I wonder who this prophet guy is wandering around at the start of each campaign, and if anything will come of him. It's a little weird having him advising everyone, including orcs.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    I wonder who this prophet guy is wandering around at the start of each campaign, and if anything will come of him. It's a little weird having him advising everyone, including orcs.
    di20371pdtie.jpg

ObiFett on
This discussion has been closed.