As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

F2P MMOs: Free To Play (And Sometimes Pay To Win)

• Options
    FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    Once you hit 6 I'll play with you a bit, it's pretty fun and I need to save up for Arachne

S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    arachne is a hell of a jungler

her ganks are legendary

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    finally got around to installing smite.
    first game had a leaver before the match even started & a second about 4 minutes in.
    ...less than optimal.

Sounds like Gravitar groups in Champions.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    My little brother has Smite installed... I've watched him play it and am considering it myself.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    do it

hell, there is a thing in the game where he can put your email address in and they will give you a beta key

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    smite is a well built game with a lot of promise and amazing netcode

leavers are a huge fucking problem though

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    also I'm already noticing some balance issues, but those will hopefully get ironed out

• Options
    balance changes happen fairly regularly, though they seem to have that problem of erring on the side of releasing OP characters and then nerfing them later

and leaver penalties in smite are actually really fucking severe, between ban times that get longer with each leave and a significant earned currency bonus for each successive match you play without leaving

hell, you're marked as a deserter for queueing and then not accepting a match (though that's to combat a specific problem the game was having, wherein people would decline matches in the solo queue until their buddies they had teamspeak with found a match at the same time, ruining not only the actual games but also the queue times)

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Gonna say this in here too.

Anyone who has MWO PM me your pilot name or something I want people to play with.

• Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I am pretty bad at MWO.

Also, is anyone else looking forward to End of nations? It's basically a cross between old school CnC goofy/sci-fi units and world in conflict style gameplay (in other words, no base building as such and mostly just managing a small number of units in tandem with other players on your team)

TB has an hour of gameplay recorded when he played against the epic meal time guys
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmE_HSoDIUY&feature=g-u-u

I had a chance to play it myself and it is fun as hell.

EDIT: Dear god there are a bunch of F2P games coming out. MWO, EON, Firefall, Planetside dot dot dot

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    @Burning Organ to be fair, there's a lot to take in on MWO and not a whole lot of instruction

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Somehow I have 12 medium pulse lasers on one Awesome... and 2 engines... and 43 heatsinks...

• Options
    @Burning Organ to be fair, there's a lot to take in on MWO and not a whole lot of instruction

Doesn't help that my choice in founders mech was apparently bad (Catapult). I have a great idea, let's make it so the mechs main weapons (missiles) are utterly fucking useless because of a neat cosmetic feature (Missile bay doors opening) that delays the firing of the main weapons by three fucking seconds.
    I was hoping to equip it with short range missiles because I can not hit anything with the long range ones.

• Options

Doesn't help that my choice in founders mech was apparently bad (Catapult). I have a great idea, let's make it so the mechs main weapons (missiles) are utterly fucking useless because of a neat cosmetic feature (Missile bay doors opening) that delays the firing of the main weapons by three fucking seconds.
    I was hoping to equip it with short range missiles because I can not hit anything with the long range ones.

an SRM cat is devastating but you need to be pretty maneuverable to use it effectively. Also, it takes some experience to get used to LRM's, since they're pretty dumb missiles. if you can get up on a higher elevation with something to walk backwards and block their line of sight when they start targeting you, you should be okay. The missile boat catapult is the one I've been having the most success with lately.

• Options

an SRM cat is devastating but you need to be pretty maneuverable to use it effectively. Also, it takes some experience to get used to LRM's, since they're pretty dumb missiles. if you can get up on a higher elevation with something to walk backwards and block their line of sight when they start targeting you, you should be okay. The missile boat catapult is the one I've been having the most success with lately.

The thing is that apparently everyone has LRM countermeasures equipped. At first I thought people were just manually firing MG's into my LRM swarms, but nope there are modules that do that automatically.

Think I'm just gonna build me a jenner.

• Options

The thing is that apparently everyone has LRM countermeasures equipped. At first I thought people were just manually firing MG's into my LRM swarms, but nope there are modules that do that automatically.

Think I'm just gonna build me a jenner.

Most people don't stock more than 1000 or 2000 rounds of AMS ammo and it goes pretty quick. It goes even faster if you stagger your LRM launchers and keep up a steady stream of fire (if your heat can take it)

go ahead and PM your pilot name, dude

• Options
    I actually have been enjoying a Hunchback with a Gauss rifle and an AC/5.

He hurts at long range.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    So I decided to try leveling crafting in Champions Online for the first time since the On Alert update was implemented. (I maxed a couple of characters with the Free For All update.)

oh my gee it is the worst

I want to know who the hell came up with the new system and why they thought it was a good idea, and then I would like to take them away from the wolves who have raised them and lead them gently by the hand to a group therapy session with other social misfits who understand nothing of human interaction.

What the crap is this crap? Who thought it was a good idea to completely exterminate the flavor of the crafting system? Why is there more than one crafting skill anymore anyway, with all the flavor scrubbed away and replaced with nonsense that would make actual Silver Age writers sneer at the nonsense? Yeah, a "gambler's gem", that's real sciencey there; it's like the game was written by Stephen bloody Hawking. My disbelief has been suspended like an MIT student that got caught drunken and naked, stealing the flag from the pole in the quad.

Why was it considered to be a good idea to slow the speed of leveling crafting skills by a factor of ten or more? Did you need to slow it down? That would be simple enough: just switch off skillups for breaking gear down! There, skillup speed more than halved! I promise you that turning it into the grindiest grind that ever ground a grind is not going to keep players actually playing longer; they'll just give up on the crafting system entirely until they're picking up rank four and five gems from mobs and slot those in to their level 40 gear; most players I've seen really don't seem to find sixes or higher necessary. Even allowing for the fact that those other two characters were Arms and Mysticism and the new character I first tried was Science and I might not be able to spot the nodes at 75 feet yet, I should be able to go from a skill of 2 to 12 faster than three hours. Even assuming I can maintain that rate, and I doubt I will, that's about 120 hours to max it on 400 on one character without doing any questing, gathering questionite, etc.

Was it supposed to generate new revenue through selling rankup catalysts, or buying Zen to trade for questionite for gems? Okay, I can see that, but how did that necessitate removing the old system? I know they're not exactly compatible as they're implemented now, but why didn't you try making them so?

Was it to simplify the game? In that case, good job; I'm pretty sure one of my cats could handle the crafting now. The dumb one.

Was it the craftable power replacement devices being game-breaking? Here's an idea: get rid of the power replacers, not the whole system. Or if you don't want to do that, remove the ones that are game-breaking! Just a suggestion! Just planting seeds here!

The best thing I can say about the new crafting system is that it can be safely ignored until you're max level and enemies are dropping fives, and then you don't have to do anything but slot in your chosen upgrades. When the best thing I can say about a feature of the game is that it can be more or less ignored until it's relatively painless to use, something has gone horribly wrong.

Who thought changing a system that compared favorably with WoW to one that compares unfavorably with freaking Diablo goddamn II was a good idea? Hey Perfect World, you want some feedback? Fire everyone who thought that. Their ideas are poison. They should be in a rubber room, not a conference room, and they are the reason we cannot have nice things.
    I still like Champions Online overall, but the crafting system is bad and Perfect World should feel bad. Rude and hyperbolic as this rant was I am seriously considering posting it on the forums. I probably wouldn't get banned if I turned every other letter into a swear; no one who works for PWE seems to read the forums anyway.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    For those who haven't heard, CO's released a new Archetype in the form of the Night Avenger which is based on CO's incoming version of Batman, Nighthawk.
    CO.com wrote:
    The Night Avenger’s powers are a combination of the Gadgeteering and Fighting Claws power sets, plus new and improved powers that have been added to both. Freeform character slots, included in a Gold subscription, will be able to access all of the new Night Avenger powers.

To master the Night Avenger, you’ll need to be able to master the Sneak ability. This toggle will put you into stealth automatically when you’re out of combat, and from stealth you’ll be able to strike for huge damage. Using Sneak will make your combats spikier and more about bursts of damage, starting with a charge into the fray – a moment of confusion as the villain loses sight of you – a pause – then bam you’ve caught him by surprise. Some of the Night Avenger’s powers specifically key off of stealth, like the massive bonus damage from Shadow Strike.

You’ll also be using a number of powerful gadget powers to get a technological edge over your enemies. You’re a master of hitting multiple enemies with your boomerang’s Ricochet Throw, and you can knock enemies towards you with your Grapple Gun Pull.

Of course, there’s a time in every crime-fighter’s career when they have to go for broke. The Lone Ranger can keep his horse – you’re calling in your own personal jet for a Strafing Run. This Level 40 power drops four explosives around the targeted area, blowing up everything caught in the zone.

Nighthawk himself will be coming into the game soon, bringing along a story in which characters must decide if the hero's truly crossed the line or not and either help or arrest him. His entrance will also introduce the beginning of the new Vehicle system which begins with access to his jet. To hype it up, Cryptic's released a brief trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZEB7Q2zqLE

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Whoa MWO is out now?

Dammit.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    Hey I'd like to get in on some of this Smite stuff.

• Options
    Artreus wrote: »
    Whoa MWO is out now?

Dammit.

No

it's still closed beta but there are founder packages available til sep 7th so if you're a founder you get to play closed beta and technically still not supposed to talk about it cause nda and all that

• Options
    Reginald wrote: »
    Hey I'd like to get in on some of this Smite stuff.

@reginald I don't have any keys left but there's an in-game thing to put in an email address so if you can pm me yours I'll hook you up

• Options
    after many failures, either from me fucking up, a teammate fucking up, or a leaver on either my team or the enemy's, I finally got a good match out of SMITE's ranked system

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SWbnySUqc8

• Options
    FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    It's been too many days since I played any smite. Been playing league more trying to buy stupid expensive runes.

S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    my sister and her husband have been getting me into lol and yeah the whole runes thing is daunting

I already did that whole song and dance with SMNC's endorsement system, man, I really don't want to build a second wall of expensive passive upgrades

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Awesomenauts circumvents that whole problem and itemization in general in a very neat way

• Options
    Make sure you don't bother with runes until you're level 30, tdot. No point to them before then. My problem is I don't want runes, I want champs, so I have to force myself to buy them before I get enough for a new champ.

S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGQVUBDRHlk

going 0 - 0 - 10 as odin

I know he's a tank, but man it feels weird playing as fucking ODIN and having a hard time killing anyone

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    During my brief time playing, I found that if you can pull of the ultimate first, which tags everyone it hits, then immediately call down the lightning that hits those tagged, it's usually enough to finish or near finish an opposing god.

Of course, I didn't watch you video, so you might be doing just that.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    gotham city impostors is f2p on steam now apparently

• Options
    So it looks like the rest of the Nighthawk-related stuff for Champions Online is hitting today.
    The Nighthawk event is cleared for takeoff tomorrow! Investigate the mystery of Nighthawk’s return, culminating in an intense mission and an aerial dogfight in Hawkwing fighter jets.

The mission you’ve been waiting for is almost here, and will be live after maintenance tomorrow. Something doesn’t fit about Nighthawk’s villainy, so talk to Defender in Millennium City to start investigating.

Once you’ve unraveled the truth, it’s time to take the battle to the skies. Queue up with a few friends to confront a super-villain in his penthouse lair, and you'll get to fly brand-new Hawkwing fighter jets. Use your jet’s mobile playstyle to swoop down and shred through the villains that come out onto the rooftops to meet you.

There are three designs for the prototype Hawkwing: the sharp-clawed Interceptor, the Heavy Fighter, and the supporting Command Ship. Learn the strengths of all three designs, because the climactic battle’s going to pit you up against a massive gunship. You’ll need every ounce of speed and firepower to have a chance.

When the dust settles, you’ll be rewarded with a daily chance to get a Hawkwing jet of your own. You’ll also be able to win a number of gadgets and Nighthawk costume pieces.

Check back in tomorrow for the Nighthawk launch, and your chance to try this new mission and prototype vehicles!

Yep, it looks like the first Vehicles aren't gonna be free.
    Take to the skies with three brand-new prototype Hawkwing jets, available both in goodie-packed chance boxes and a la carte. Get your vehicle today!

There are three designs for the Hawkwing. The Hawkwing Interceptor is the fastest and dishes out the most DPS, while the Hawkwing Heavy Fighter is built to soldier through even the heaviest leadstorms. The Hawkwing Command Ship packs various powers to support its allies.

You can get them either individually, or you can win them as part of the Nighthawk Belt Grab Bag chance box. The Belt has a chance of winning one of the three Hawkwing jets (chosen randomly), Drifter Salvage, plus Nighthawk-themed devices and costume pieces.

At least you'll be able to do a daily mission for the new Grab Bag so you don't have to buy one. Still, kinda sucks you'll have to pay for a jet if you really want one.

• Options
    I want to feel bitter about that, since I bought the game, but I stopped playing it ages ago so meh

• Options
    I guess they're taking this route with these jets because they're all based off of a particular character's vehicle rather then be a blank-slate generic vehicle you can customize like they said the regular Vehicles will be. Still, with each jet priced at 15 bucks, you're going to have to decide if you really want one or if you're willing to wait for the proper Vehicles to come in.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2012
    Unless I'm reading this wrong, City of Heroes is shutting down by the end of the year. Fuck.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    this is a dark day

City of Heroes is pretty much in the top 3 for me all time in terms of Hours Played

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I'm incredibly pissed that City of Heroes will be gone while fucking Champions Online still exists

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Maybe Perfect World will pick up some of the CoH team so they'll have enough people to actually fix bugs.

More likely, they'll take these skilled programmers, experienced in working on a superhero MMO, and shift them to Neverwinter's dev team.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    so wouldn't guild wars 2 fall under this umbrella

i'm thinking about rolling down to gamestop and picking up a copy. should i go get GW2, or D3

reposig.jpg