As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

F2P MMOs: Free To Play (And Sometimes Pay To Win)

167891012»

• Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    Fandyien wrote: »
    so wouldn't guild wars 2 fall under this umbrella

i'm thinking about rolling down to gamestop and picking up a copy. should i go get GW2, or D3

What are you looking for exactly? The games vary a lot, also have you played D2 or guilds wars 1 before?

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    This is perhaps some unfortunate timing considering what's happened to CoH but Cryptic's announced the beginning of CO's anniversary event.
    CO.com wrote:
    Happy three-year anniversary, Champions! We’re flying high after the launch of the Nighthawk vehicles and event yesterday, and now you can join in on the build-up to our anniversary extravaganza.

Join the celebration with a number of anniversary events, including a leveling contest and fan art drive going on now. The anniversary will spread over a couple of weeks, so stay tuned for Phase 2 announcements.

Leveling Contest:

You know Champs inside and out, hero, so now's the time to prove it. Every time you level up a character to 40, you're qualifying towards a $250 Amazon gift card or a custom piece of Champs art, featuring your character or someone else.

This contest will only last until September 6, so level up as many characters as possible before then!

Fan Art:

Whether you wield a pen or the mighty PrintScreen, your Champions art has a new home. The call has gone out for great screenshots and fan art of all kinds – it can be of your character, or of someone in Champions lore, whatever inspires you in Champions.

We’ll be giving away some special unlocks as incentives, and we’ll be featuring some of the best art on Facebook. Post your screenshots and fan art in the forum thread, and take a look at what everyone else has created.

What, you thought that was all?

The anniversary extravaganza doesn’t end there. Over the next two weeks or so, we’ll be featuring a number of fun and rewarding events. Giveaways? Yep. Buffs? We got that. Huge sales, special events, community hang-outs and more? Oh yeah. The Anniversary Extravaganza is coming to Champions, and you’d better be ready – keep checking back for more announcements.

For starters, meet with CM TrailTurtle in the Powerhouse Theater on Tuesday, 4-5:30 PM (Pacific). Come show off your best costume, meet people, or just talk Nighthawk and power sets. If all goes smoothly, we’ll be Livestreaming this as well.

Stay tuned for more information, Champions!

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    I think it's partly a morale thing. As you might imagine, a bunch of people on the Champions forums are all, "Y'know, Champions isn't really doing much if any better financially than CoH and we're already practically in maintenance mode". This ignores the fact that CoH was making a profit, however small, and that Paragon was cut off as far as I can tell due to corporate politics.

• Options
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    I've been playing this f2p mmo on steam called Continent of the Ninth Seal (C9)

its pretty neat, its primarily small group pve and pvp, action combat, vindictus/tera styled, though faster and more combo heavy. Looks great and has some great skill animations

MOTHERFUCKING WIND RIDE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgmHoUcxgx8

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Forgot to mention this but Aeria Games, the same people behind Eden Eternal, will be the company hosting the MMORPG Queen's Blade Online outside of Asia. The game looks to be a sci-fi take of the fantasy anime based around a group of women who take part of a tournament to decide who rules as Queen for some time. I haven't seen it but it sounds like G-Gundam with less national stereotypes and more cleavage. Not sure if the game is following the same plotline but it certainly seems like it's keeping the 'more cleavage' part.

EDIT: Put the trailer in the box due to it being somewhat NSFW. Thanks for the suggestion, Flat.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    That's uh...something. Also pretty NSFW. Might want to tag it as so and link it rather than in-line it.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    I would prefer g-gundam with more national stereotypes.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I was under the impression that queen's blad was entirely wanking material

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    I am certainly under that impression now.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Anyone here play Earth and Beyond ever?

The EnB emulator project is... shockingly well done. They've got most of the live content in the game

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular

It is. It's on Netflix, or was. The wife and I watched an episode and couldn't stop laughing. It's pretty terrible.

• Options
    Yukira wrote: »

It is. It's on Netflix, or was. The wife and I watched an episode and couldn't stop laughing. It's pretty terrible.

Yeah, I went over and looked at it's TV-Tropes article which included pictures in the Characters section and it really does seem like a fanservice series. I'd link some of them directly here but I wouldn't want to raise the ire of a mod over it. Probably the weirdest one out of the few I saw was a bunny-girl who apparently uses part of her hair to act as a top for her bosom. However, I guess either her hair's prehensile or she cuts it very weirdly as said modesty-portions of her hair are shaped like hands copping a feel.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »

Yeah, I went over and looked at it's TV-Tropes article which included pictures in the Characters section and it really does seem like a fanservice series. I'd link some of them directly here but I wouldn't want to raise the ire of a mod over it. Probably the weirdest one out of the few I saw was a bunny-girl who apparently uses part of her hair to act as a top for her bosom. However, I guess either her hair's prehensile or she cuts it very weirdly as said modesty-portions of her hair are shaped like hands copping a feel.

She's actually a, uh, sentient ooze monster, judging by the first episode.

• Options
    FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Owenashi wrote: »

She's actually a, uh, sentient ooze monster, judging by the first episode.

Anime is weird.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
  • Options
    For those here who play Star Wars: The Old Republic, you may be pleased to know that the F2P launch-date's been set for November 15. The patch bringing in F2P will also introduce a new planet with missions that will allow players to score their very own HK droid as a companion, no matter what class you may be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A36hAsct59g

On the other side of the Star-MMO coin, pre-patching for Star Trek Online's Season 7 started a couple of days ago. If you haven't heard yet what's being added to the game with this new content patch, take a look at the launch-trailer below.

http://youtu.be/7V1E-PBMLuI