Options

We do not [chat] with terrorists.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    If I was 13 years old (now) this is what I'd be listening to on repeat because I can't talk to the pretty girls
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhBorPm6JjQ&feature=player_detailpage

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2012
    Oh my god I pulled an all nighter then walked a bunch of miles and it was p hot. Around 7pm I was like pshaw I am über mensch this doesn't faze me

I just woke up from a 4 hour nap, stomach rolling, head pounding, inner thighs chafed, feet tingling and hurting

FTGE

Organichu on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Hell it was the station that got me to appreciate a live performance. They broadcasted the local Pearl Jam concert live, and sponsored the Nirvana live gig that caused me to get my first fake ID.

• Options
    I loved Blue! :D

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    But then to counter the awful that is 3oh!3 I can be happy to know that these guys are from CO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWS-FoXbjVI

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    i've griped about Can-Con before and golly you're going to listen to me do it again

basically in Canada, the CRTC (our FCC-equivalent, yanks) mandates that a certain percentage of content on broadcast television and radio has to be Canadian produced or largely involving Canadians and/or feature Canada in some prominent way

this is because the CRTC is formed of psychotically protectionist anti-American dillholes who think that Canadian culture is under direct attack by the all-consuming American cultural juggernaut and if we don't force broadcasters to inject some Canadian content into the airwaves, hapless and sheeplike Canadians will just eat up American entertainment and ignore local virtues.

it's cultural protectionism, which is stupid as hell

but what makes it worse is that it has the EXACT OPPOSITE EFFECT

because in order to fill out their "Can-Con" quotas, broadcasters (especially radio stations) stick to proven, popular Canadian artists who are also popular in the US, and because of this it actually edges out newer Canadian talent who haven't had a big break yet.

after a point it starts to get arguable how "Canadian" some of those acts even are anymore. Shania Twain plays heavily-Americanized New Country and she doesn't even really live in Canada anymore, for example

but she's a popular choice to tick off the ole Can-Con boxes because she is, ostensibly, Canadian

so when radio stations want to fill their Can-Con quotas it's like "And now, for more Bryan Adams and Barenaked Ladies!"

if you're a Canadian band trying to get airplay in your native country, you have to get popular in the US first so Canadian broadcasters won't see you as a gamble.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Posted this over in the board games thread, thought I would ask here too because I know a lot of chatters play games.

Any recommends for a good game that packs up well for travel? Bonus points if its a gateway game. The Mrs and I are going to a family reunion in the woods next week and are taking both Hive and Dominion Vanilla, but I am getting the new game shakes and would like to add one more game to the mix.

Suggestions?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    but hey, at least you got Red Green.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I tend to fall in love with entire albums, stuff that I can just throw on and listen to all the way through while I work or browse the internet. They always tend to be low key stuff that other people say is "bland" or whatever, compared to a band's earlier work. Stuff like RHCP's Stadium Arcadium, the Foo Fighters live album Skin and Bones, Narrow Stairs by Deathcab, Senior by Royksopp. Disc_Ovary by Tinie Tempah is another one of my favorites, so I guess it's not all the same.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    I should be writing my PortsCenter presentation for GMX later this year, but I've no idea which games I'm going to look at.

Rob Paulsen is going to be a guest so I was thinking of comparing the NES version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to the MS/X and two (2) Amiga versions (different developers for different regions, oddly) but not only are the different versions not really different enough, I can't seem to get one of the two Amiga versions to run.

Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Posted this over in the board games thread, thought I would ask here too because I know a lot of chatters play games.

Any recommends for a good game that packs up well for travel? Bonus points if its a gateway game. The Mrs and I are going to a family reunion in the woods next week and are taking both Hive and Dominion Vanilla, but I am getting the new game shakes and would like to add one more game to the mix.

Suggestions?

Carcassonne

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    ugh it sucks when i am crying because if my parents hear it will start another THING so i am just shoving my face into a pillow for now

gonna finsih this comic page and hopefully my night time pills kick in sooner or later

also fuck songs that have dumb shit in front of the actual song, i don't want to listen to the lead singer clearing his throat or yelling or whatever i want to hear music

Hold on.

Wait for it.

Here we go.

taco-potter.gif

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    i just killed like 12 hornets

a mass genocide

One hornet is a tragedy.

12 hornets is a statistic.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    god i fucking love that gif

• Options
    I should be writing my PortsCenter presentation for GMX later this year, but I've no idea which games I'm going to look at.

Rob Paulsen is going to be a guest so I was thinking of comparing the NES version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to the MS/X and two (2) Amiga versions (different developers for different regions, oddly) but not only are the different versions not really different enough, I can't seem to get one of the two Amiga versions to run.

If you want to do classic comparisons that aren't all one way (eg: where one version is better than the others in every way) there is Ultima 4. The NES port had vastly improved graphics and music but had to cut some of the party options and dialog.

There is a pretty huge difference between Maniac Mansion on Amiga / PC / NES as well.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    i just drew the best boob i will ever draw

• Options
    These guys are my new obsession.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghb6eDopW8I

Thom high five for getting lucky with a good radio station growing up. I went to my first concerts because of the one I listen to. And they have a big thing for putting on a lot of local stuff before it ever goes national. Which is always kind of cool.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

hmm. packing for travel eh?

How compact do you need it to be? And do you have limited play area / table space when you get there?

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Pony wrote: »
    i've griped about Can-Con before and golly you're going to listen to me do it again

basically in Canada, the CRTC (our FCC-equivalent, yanks) mandates that a certain percentage of content on broadcast television and radio has to be Canadian produced or largely involving Canadians and/or feature Canada in some prominent way

this is because the CRTC is formed of psychotically protectionist anti-American dillholes who think that Canadian culture is under direct attack by the all-consuming American cultural juggernaut and if we don't force broadcasters to inject some Canadian content into the airwaves, hapless and sheeplike Canadians will just eat up American entertainment and ignore local virtues.

it's cultural protectionism, which is stupid as hell

but what makes it worse is that it has the EXACT OPPOSITE EFFECT

because in order to fill out their "Can-Con" quotas, broadcasters (especially radio stations) stick to proven, popular Canadian artists who are also popular in the US, and because of this it actually edges out newer Canadian talent who haven't had a big break yet.

after a point it starts to get arguable how "Canadian" some of those acts even are anymore. Shania Twain plays heavily-Americanized New Country and she doesn't even really live in Canada anymore, for example

but she's a popular choice to tick off the ole Can-Con boxes because she is, ostensibly, Canadian

so when radio stations want to fill their Can-Con quotas it's like "And now, for more Bryan Adams and Barenaked Ladies!"

if you're a Canadian band trying to get airplay in your native country, you have to get popular in the US first so Canadian broadcasters won't see you as a gamble.

But it is true, you know. We do want to absorb you whole.

• Options

And yet you will never be able to truly hold it. Feel its firmness.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    it's a weird moment when a Canadian band i've enjoyed for years finally gets traction in the US

because not only do my American friends from the internet suddenly start recommending them to me and i have to try not to be a smug ass about the fact that i've been listening to them for like six years

but my own countrymen are suddenly all into them!

like it's a weird thing that American music is so pervasive in Canada that as a Canadian band often the only way to really get famous in Canada is to get famous in the US

draconian shit like the CRTC's Can-Con laws doesn't help

Who are some examples?

I'm finding this happening with Australians that my sister likes who go on to American success.

Barenaked Ladies

Canadian band that had been sorta mildly popular here for like ten fucking years, had some hit singles but even amongst other Canadians they were sort of nobodies really

then in 1998 they released Stunt, which had One Week on it that got nutso popular on American radio and was a huge breakout success for them

suddenly not only were there a bunch of Americans who were like "Have you heard of this band? I mean they're called Barenaked Ladies but they're actually a bunch of dudes..."

there was other Canadians who suddenly "found out" about this band that had been around for over a decade

• Options
    I will also admit that I love newer Coldplay. The huge budget, well-produced electronica-orchestral Coldplay, like Mylo Xyloto and Viva la Vida. I think this is because I am super white. It's in my blood.

• Options
    I will also admit that I love newer Coldplay. The huge budget, well-produced electronica-orchestral Coldplay, like Mylo Xyloto and Viva la Vida. I think this is because I am super white. It's in my blood.

well you do have white blood cells

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

And yet you will never be able to truly hold it. Feel its firmness.

Boy.

Even the best titties have a little give.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Coldplay is boring. Like, they are talented people, but they just have a boring song writing formula.

• Options
    it's a weird moment when a Canadian band i've enjoyed for years finally gets traction in the US

because not only do my American friends from the internet suddenly start recommending them to me and i have to try not to be a smug ass about the fact that i've been listening to them for like six years

but my own countrymen are suddenly all into them!

like it's a weird thing that American music is so pervasive in Canada that as a Canadian band often the only way to really get famous in Canada is to get famous in the US

draconian shit like the CRTC's Can-Con laws doesn't help

Who are some examples?

I'm finding this happening with Australians that my sister likes who go on to American success.

Barenaked Ladies

Canadian band that had been sorta mildly popular here for like ten fucking years, had some hit singles but even amongst other Canadians they were sort of nobodies really

then in 1998 they released Stunt, which had One Week on it that got nutso popular on American radio and was a huge breakout success for them

suddenly not only were there a bunch of Americans who were like "Have you heard of this band? I mean they're called Barenaked Ladies but they're actually a bunch of dudes..."

there was other Canadians who suddenly "found out" about this band that had been around for over a decade

I grew up a couple miles from Seattle in the late 80s / early 90s.

Yeah. That kind of thing happened a lot.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

I agree. I always kind of liked Coldplay(I feel you people judging). But the new stuff have been a lot better.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    it sucks when you come to a negative epiphany

oh i've been really annoying about x

well, shit

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i am a big radiohead fan fyi

• Options
    the worst is when the CRTC decides a Canadian band is insufficiently Canadian to qualify as fulfilling Can-Con requirements

Econoline Crush is made up of Canadians but since their first real gig was actually when they traveled to Washington, the CRTC tried to argue that they're actually an American band

it was fucking insane

meanwhile Avril Lavigne hasn't lived in this country for like 8 or 9 years and she still is considered a Canadian artist

i don't even

• Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular

hmm. packing for travel eh?

How compact do you need it to be? And do you have limited play area / table space when you get there?

I'm doing a presentation and participating in a few panels. I won't be able to bring any hardware with me - no NES, no Amiga, no anything - so I'll either be relying on local sources of hardware (I can bring the games), or on software solutions. The presentation is basically going to be a fusion of what PortsCenter is and some of my stand-up stuff; a one-hour celebration of unique and interesting videogame ports, with dick jokes interspersed.

Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    this band is super chillwavey, but I like them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsRGHRT_6Is&feature=related

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Radio downside = You hear the same handful of great songs so frequently you stop enjoying them well before their due date.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

*pushes up glasses*

actually I love the composition of the song. The parts go together well, and musically it is interesting. It just SOUNDS so terrible... Fucking loudness wars...

*pushes up glasses*

*makes glib racist remark*

• Options

Only other person I know that really likes Coldplay is the whitest guy I know and I even work with a guy from Texas.

• Options
    Radio downside = You hear the same handful of great songs so frequently you stop enjoying them well before their due date.

i work in clubs and bars and i am experiencing this problem just due to saturation

• Options
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Coldplay is boring. Like, they are talented people, but they just have a boring song writing formula.

I freely admit that it is really safe and a little boring, but how can you resist the intro to Paradise or the humungous cheesy string swells in Viva la Vida? America sure couldn't in 2009!

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    it sucks when you come to a negative epiphany

oh i've been really annoying about x

well, shit
    Totally disagree, those moments are awesome.

They give you the opportunity to self adjust and become a better person.

Insight into ones own flaws is a good thing.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
This discussion has been closed.