Options

We do not [chat] with terrorists.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Man that's why I love the Mako.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    what is funny is when Canadians think things work a certain way in this country because American TV has told them it does in America (and even that is dubious)

my instructor in college used to be a Toronto cop, and the number of times people would say they "Plead the Fifth" used to just kill him

yeah uh

you don't have that, bud

You guys don't have a right to not self-incriminate?

That is pretty bizarre.

The reason we have it is just it prevents a cycle of ridiculous perjury and protects the sanctity of the witness stand oath. It's so overwhelmingly likely that an accused person will simply lie if put on the stand and asked "DID YOU KILL BOB?" that we just don't bother letting that question be asked of the accused.

Yeah, they do. It's just not the fifth.

• Options
    I'm sure they get the point across though.

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    Holy shit that gif is like 10 MB

Goddamn though

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    what is funny is when Canadians think things work a certain way in this country because American TV has told them it does in America (and even that is dubious)

my instructor in college used to be a Toronto cop, and the number of times people would say they "Plead the Fifth" used to just kill him

yeah uh

you don't have that, bud

That is pretty bizarre.

The reason we have it is just it prevents a cycle of ridiculous perjury and protects the sanctity of the witness stand oath. It's so overwhelmingly likely that an accused person will simply lie if put on the stand and asked "DID YOU KILL BOB?" that we just don't bother letting that question be asked of the accused.

We have something similar to a right to not self-incriminate but it's obviously not called the Fifth Amendment and it doesn't work like TV tells people it works

I'm not a lawyer but I'm pretty sure most Americans badly misunderstand how the 5th amendment works. It's not like one of the more... I don't want to say important, but lets say it doesn't come up as often as other amendments like freedom of religion and speech. It's very specific.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    To be fair, the fifth doesn't work here the way TV depicts it.

Don't talk to a cop falls more under the Miranda warning.

Cinders on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    @Arch @Cinders interested in doing a TF in CoX nowish?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular

yeah uh

you don't have that, bud

That is pretty bizarre.

We have something similar to a right to not self-incriminate but it's obviously not called the Fifth Amendment and it doesn't work like TV tells people it works

Right like "read me my rights", yeah? Sure you've got them but there is only one country that has that and even there it's not exactly like that off TV.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Another example:

"You got a licence for that gun? Is it registered? Do you have an authorization to transport that weapon?"

"Man, I got a right to bear arms!"

"No, you don't. Not in this country, buddy."

• Options
    Elldren wrote: »

oh i see how it is

• Options
    Yeah, sounds good.

• Options
    Another example:

"You got a licence for that gun? Is it registered? Do you have an authorization to transport that weapon?"

There are Canadians who think they have a 2nd amendment-like protection from watching American TV?

That's hilarious.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Another example:

Depending on the state a cop here could ask these questions and demand answers as well.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    enhanced-buzz-31494-1341524135-13.jpg

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options

yeah uh

you don't have that, bud

That is pretty bizarre.

Right like "read me my rights", yeah? Sure you've got them but there is only one country that has that and even there it's not exactly like that off TV.

we do have instructions read to arrested parties that are supposed to be done "as soon as reasonable to do so"

but they're not at all how TV treats Miranda and nor does not being read them act like some kind of get out of jail free card or some bullshit

I remember back when cops arrested a bunch of the G20 protesters in Toronto I saw a big hullabaloo from the arrested folk about how they weren't "read their rights"

yeah uh

that's not how it works, man

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

oh i see how it is

I thought you were working! Sorry!

@Pony you are also invited

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

yeah uh

you don't have that, bud

You didn't read me my rights! The whole arrest is invalid!

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Another example:

There are Canadians who think they have a 2nd amendment-like protection from watching American TV?

That's hilarious.

If it works on Law&Order how can it not work irl? It's based on real stories!

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Damn you Durandal!

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    To be fair, the fifth doesn't work here the way TV depicts it.

Don't talk to a cop falls more under the Miranda warning.

I believe that the Miranda warning is the result of a supreme court ruling which was arrived at through a reading of the 5th amendment.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Arch Cinders interested in doing a TF in CoX nowish?

oh i see how it is

I thought you were working! Sorry!

Pony you are also invited

I see how it is!

Though my character is only 10 and I have to get up tomorrow so I couldn't anyways. ;)

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Another example:

Depending on the state a cop here could ask these questions and demand answers as well.

"You got a reason that gun is nescessary for the operation of a well regulated militia?"

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Another example:

That's hilarious.

Yes! It's amazing.

Basically your average Canadian is about as legally and politically informed as your average American

which is to say not very!

but the thing is since so much of our media intake is American in origin, when pop cultural knowledge becomes folk knowledge it's not even folk knowledge about the right country and it adds this extra level of hilariously stupid

• Options

yeah uh

you don't have that, bud

That is pretty bizarre.

we do have instructions read to arrested parties that are supposed to be done "as soon as reasonable to do so"

but they're not at all how TV treats Miranda and nor does not being read them act like some kind of get out of jail free card or some bullshit

Miranda rights aren't how TV treats them here, either.

Also funny, cops don't have to tell you they're cops. Like, they can lie about that and it still isn't necessarily entrapment. But TV acts like it is.

So our TV isn't even accurate for laws within the country.

• Options
    Another example:

That's hilarious.

L&O is set in New York City which has firearms registration laws.

The characters on that show arrest people for having unregistered guns all the time (usually as a temporary thing while they are working up much more serious charges) and they use firearms licensing registries in just about every single God damn episode to track weapons they think might have been involved in their crime of the week.

• Options
    The police must love whoever created the whole "you have to tell me if you're a cop" thing.

• Options
    I mean I know Law & Order and CSI and shit aren't exactly portraying American law accurately to Americans either

it's just extra funny when things they think they have (Miranda rights, 5th amendment, right to bear arms) are not only misunderstood but do not exist in this country

• Options
    Shivahn wrote: »
    The police must love whoever created the whole "you have to tell me if you're a cop" thing.

undercover cops love it and there's the joke that they're likely the ones that propagate this myth outside of TV

i'm reminded of a bit from True Blood where Sookie notices that Bill casts a reflection, and Bill is like "Yeah we made the whole vampires don't cast reflections thing up so that if people thought we were vampires we could show them our reflections and dismiss suspicion"

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    my hand started cramping HARD (i've drawn a coupel of comics today) in the middle of this

it's a quick sketch of what oathkeeper's armor will look like
    armorconcept.png

• Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Yo.

Someone want to play Civ with me?

Still looking for someone? If so, which version?

Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Another example:

That's hilarious.

L&O is set in New York City which has firearms registration laws.

The characters on that show arrest people for having unregistered guns all the time (usually as a temporary thing while they are working up much more serious charges) and they use firearms licensing registries in just about every single God damn episode to track weapons they think might have been involved in their crime of the week.

And every gun has a checkered past, unless they filed off the serial number. I miss old L&O episodes.

• Options
    i'm gonna go play CoX, you guys can come with

except jeeps, he can go play Champions

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    @Winky

hell with it. Finished eating dinner and I'd be down for some Civ5.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Ha, I like the little Jesus fish on the hammer.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    I mean I know Law & Order and CSI and shit aren't exactly portraying American law accurately to Americans either

it's just extra funny when things they think they have (Miranda rights, 5th amendment, right to bear arms) are not only misunderstood but do not exist in this country

They are inaccurate but I don't think they portray the law horribly inaccurately as a matter of course.

Like most TV shows, the writers try to get it right as much as they can within the constraints of their lay knowledge and limited research.

Crime dramas are much worse about the way they portray technology than the way they present the law.

For example, many Law and Order episodes have pointed out explicitly that police are allowed to lie. They turn business owners of illegal businesses so that they can set up a non-entrapment sting. Because just opening a brothel is entrapment, but if there is already a brothel and you stick cops in it to catch people; not entrapment. They play fast and loose with questioning people and sometimes it bites them in the ass, but sometimes they cheat and nail criminals to the wall. Other times they get their pee-pees smacked and their evidence thrown out.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Champions adventure packs are solid, if only the game had fifty times as many of them

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012

It's too bad some other country's legal shows aren't prevalent in the U.S.

I think it would be highly entertaining for people being arrested on COPS to be screaming for their solicitor.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Cambiata wrote: »

I think it would be highly entertaining for people being arrested on COPS to be screaming for their solicitor.
    what if you're being arrested for solicitation

Elendil on
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »

yeah outside of like

Flashpoint

do Canadian police shows even play in the US?

we have them

they're mostly on Showcase and the CBC

but they do exist

i just don't know if they play anywhere but here

• Options
    Shivahn wrote: »

By entering this IRC WarezRUS Channel you affirm you are NOT a member of law enforcement if you are and enter this channel YOU ARE VIOLATING THE LAW!!!111

This discussion has been closed.