As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Industry Thread] Read the OP, or you'll see more red than 38 Studios.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Mobile gaming has replaced handhelds for "waiting" gaming such as waiting on a bus/movie/doctor/car repair/etc. Luckily for handhelds though, mobile gaming hasn't come close to replacing them in home-bound portable gaming, such as playing games while watching TV or while in bed. I know a lot of people tend to act like handhelds are only for use outside the home but a large amount of people only really use them while at home and the depth of gaming they provide isn't in danger from mobile games just yet.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    By most surveys almost all hand held gaming is done at home, really. Least on a per hour basis.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    honestly, i agree with that. i do most of my DS gaming when someone else is on the TV.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    Mobile gaming has replaced handhelds for "waiting" gaming such as waiting on a bus/movie/doctor/car repair/etc. Luckily for handhelds though, mobile gaming hasn't come close to replacing them in home-bound portable gaming, such as playing games while watching TV or while in bed. I know a lot of people tend to act like handhelds are only for use outside the home but a large amount of people only really use them while at home and the depth of gaming they provide isn't in danger from mobile games just yet.
    Hence why portables will never be totally destroyed, but if publishers expect to somehow regain the glory days where traditional portables also had the waiting/taking a dump market, then they're grossly out of touch.

Now, if they were to release a gaming grade tablet...

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    honestly, i agree with that. i do most of my DS gaming when someone else is on the TV.

So the Wii U might be the biggest threat to Nintendo's own dedicated portable dominance. I suppose it depends on how the thing is marketed but I think Nintendo does have an opportunity to capitalise on that kind of behaviour whilst almost being a threat to themselves.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Once you establish that most of your handheld market is actually in the home, you have a fine line to walk in making sure they don't just toss the thing and head to the console. Nintendo manages to do this, probably by virtue of the dual screen gimmick being completely unique. The PSP on the other hand drove right into this hole, and Sony is deliberately steering the Vita into it and only God knows why the fuck they're doing it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    TharghorTharghor Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    The way handheld technologies are progressing, In under 2 years time we have the very real possibility of seeing smartphones that are powerful enough to fully run home console games. At that point you will see a major crossroads (ironically the same one the Vita already faces) in where Developers/publishers will have to choose what stance they take considering Handheld games in regards to the home console versions. If consumers want say the latest FIFA as the full home console experience on a smartphone EA are not going to release it for 69p, or even for £4.99/£9.99. At the same time though many publishers will not want to see a version of a game have better/same features as its home console versions in fear that the consumer will de-value or reject the home console version. They have a choice either;

Port the home console game to the smartphone at full RRP
    or
    Hold back on porting a full console experience and develop a cheaper handheld game as to not eat into the full console experience.

Which is what you are seeing right now with the current Vita titles nobody wants to release a full console port that will de-value its home console release but nobody wants to release a handheld version that can be got elsewhere if the Vita is about full console experiences on the go. Which is where you get things like the Vita version of FIFA which is a full port of last years edition rather than the current version.

Until I can plug a controller into my smartphone, it ain't gonna be much good for traditional gaming.

You can actually. Using either a wired xbox controller, ps3 or wii controller. I have played several games on my android phone with a wii controller hooked up via bluetooth. Im guessing there's a market for accesory makers and game companies for the gamers that want a bit more complex games. As it is now, I don't think anything but emulator games use these controller options.

• Options
    Once you establish that most of your handheld market is actually in the home, you have a fine line to walk in making sure they don't just toss the thing and head to the console. Nintendo manages to do this, probably by virtue of the dual screen gimmick being completely unique. The PSP on the other hand drove right into this hole, and Sony is deliberately steering the Vita into it and only God knows why the fuck they're doing it.
    i'd say it's that the DS library is full of amazing games. PSP/vita... not so much. vita has time to change that, but since it's mostly ports of PS3 games i think they are shooting themselves in the foot there.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    i'd say it's that the DS library is full of amazing games. PSP/vita... not so much. vita has time to change that, but since it's mostly ports of PS3 games i think they are shooting themselves in the foot there.

That too, but I also feel like it's a little hypocritical to decry the PSP/Vita experience while I'm playing the likes of Zelda OoT and Chrono Trigger on my DS.

I don't know what magic dust Nintendo uses, but I don't mind playing games on the 3/DS at all, whereas the PSP is a gamble on whether or not I'll lament wishing the game was on a console instead. Like I said, I'm aware of the hypocrisy at some points.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options

That too, but I also feel like it's a little hypocritical to decry the PSP/Vita experience while I'm playing the likes of Zelda OoT and Chrono Trigger on my DS.

I don't know what magic dust Nintendo uses, but I don't mind playing games on the 3/DS at all, whereas the PSP is a gamble on whether or not I'll lament wishing the game was on a console instead. Like I said, I'm aware of the hypocrisy at some points.
    Probably because PSP/Vita games try so hard to be like their big brothers that they leave the player wondering why they aren't just playing on a console instead. Graphical design probably comes into it a bit too. Nintendo games are stylistically designed well so that they look good even on a handheld where as PSP/Vita games tend to go for SUPERHARDCOREREALISM420BRO quality and while they look fine, you still can't help but think while playing Uncharted Vita "why aren't I playing this on a console?"

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    to put it one way, everyone is looking forward to super smash bros memories (even after the namco dev team was announced). this will sell like hot cakes, while sony smash bros on vita will sell like hot poop.

because one will be designed with the 3DS in mind, and the other shoe-horned onto the vita

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Pretty surprised that id isn't showing any Doom 4 at this year's Quakecon. Game has been in development for years, though they are perfectionists like Valve so it makes sense. Would be pretty funny if both it and Half-Life 3 came out in 2014, marking 10 years since Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 released.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Kiiinda worried about Doom 4. There was that rumor a ways back that the whole thing'd been canned, so, I can't help but wonder if id ended up scrapping everything and starting over or something.

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular

That's just a matter of opinion though - I personally like the PSP/Vita library a lot more than the DS/3DS one. In particular, if you like RPGs and Strategy/RPGs, the PSP library is solid gold (and the Vita is getting an enhanced version of one of the best RPGs of all time soon).

Also, the idea that smartphones and tablets are somehow inferior to portable systems is pretty ridiculous. Yes, certain types of games won't work as well on the smartphones/tablets, but other types of games work just as good or better. For example, I just finished Ghost Trick on the iPad and I imagine that's the best version of the game (all the great story/gameplay of the DS original but with better visuals); I can think of several other popular DS games like Ouendan and Trauma Center that I imagine would work fantastically on the iPad.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    True but would they sell Ouendan and Trauma Center at $1 or $30? I bet it would sell poorly at $30.

• Options
    edited August 2012

That's just a matter of opinion though - I personally like the PSP/Vita library a lot more than the DS/3DS one. In particular, if you like RPGs and Strategy/RPGs, the PSP library is solid gold (and the Vita is getting an enhanced version of one of the best RPGs of all time soon).

Also, the idea that smartphones and tablets are somehow inferior to portable systems is pretty ridiculous. Yes, certain types of games won't work as well on the smartphones/tablets, but other types of games work just as good or better. For example, I just finished Ghost Trick on the iPad and I imagine that's the best version of the game (all the great story/gameplay of the DS original but with better visuals); I can think of several other popular DS games like Ouendan and Trauma Center that I imagine would work fantastically on the iPad.

The PSP and Vita's library woes aren't really something you can handwave away with "well, that's just your opinion man." Hell, I'm sure someone out there thought the Virtual Boy's library was totally solid too. The DS and 3DS have much stronger libraries as a whole and it's a noticeable gulf. RPGs/Tactics games do well on the PSP/Vita because they get back to that whole "appropriate for the system" thing. They aren't terribly graphics dependent and the controls/playstyle work well on the system but for the most part, the PSP/Vita libraries are kinda janky.

I'm not gonna lie, I really hope Microsoft's Surface takes off so that we can see what happens when people start making mobile games for an operating system that comes with a keyboard in mind and attached to hardware that has a USB port already on top of the touchscreen interface. I would not be surprised in the slightest if you could plug a 360 pad into the Surface and have it work natively.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular

That better not be FFX you're talking about.

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    So, Square Enix intends to support their Wii/U MMO Dragon Quest X with updates every ten weeks and DLC.

For ten years.

http://andriasang.com/con24o/dqx_ten_year_plan/

That's uh, rather... Lofty. If they can actually do it though? Fuck, my hat's off to them. They'd be making a more consistent game than most of the recent MMO releases.

Still. Ten years, off of subscriptions? That sounds a bit too optimistic to my ears and trips my Bullshit Instincts.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    It's not that the Vita doesn't have games worth playing. It's just that they sell like ass. Supposedly Gravity Rush, the game that Vita fans were really looking forward to, sold only 50,000 or so.

Speaking of Vita:
    SCE UK chief Fergal Gara admits he'd love to see Vita selling better, but believes its best months are still to come.

The MD told MCV that with Call of Duty, FIFA, Assassin's Creed and LittleBigPlanet on the way this Christmas, there's every reason to believe the machine's performance will improve as we head towards the crucial peak selling period.

"We would love it to be selling more and we intend to make it sell more and help it sell a lot more," he explained.

"The feedback from many consumers who’ve got their hands on it is positive – so that’s a very good start.

"The key thing for the rest of the year is the key software drive for the console so as we look towards September, LittleBigPlanet, that really is taking the concept on another level because of the Vita functionality. And of course the other key big third party IPs – Call of Duty, FIFA, Assassin’s Creed – will do tremendous things for the Vita. So it’s our job now to take that strength of software and give people more reasons to buy.

"I think we haven’t quite hit the spot with the killer software just yet and I have every reason to think that will happen in the next few months.

Sony says it will be working alongside the likes of Activision and Ubisoft in order to ensure Creed and Call of Duty are reasons to pick up the high-end handheld.

"Our first and foremost job is to drive install base and those IPs are owned by those guys so we’ll put our arms round them and work collaboratively with both teams to make the best of it," he said.

"You saw an example of how Assassin's Creed may be presented there with the white Vita pack and bundle. That’s an example of how you can take the game and go the extra mile by working together."

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/sony-vita-s-killer-games-are-still-to-come/0100579

Interesting he didn't mention Sly and Sony Smash Bros.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Algertman wrote: »

That better not be FFX you're talking about.

He's talking about Persona 4.
    TOGSolid wrote: »

The PSP and Vita's library woes aren't really something you can handwave away with "well, that's just your opinion man." Hell, I'm sure someone out there thought the Virtual Boy's library was totally solid too. The DS and 3DS have much stronger libraries as a whole and it's a noticeable gulf. RPGs/Tactics games do well on the PSP/Vita because they get back to that whole "appropriate for the system" thing. They aren't terribly graphics dependent and the controls/playstyle work well on the system but for the most part, the PSP/Vita libraries are kinda janky.

I'm not gonna lie, I really hope Microsoft's Surface takes off so that we can see what happens when people start making mobile games for an operating system that comes with a keyboard in mind and attached to hardware that has a USB port already on top of the touchscreen interface. I would not be surprised in the slightest if you could plug a 360 pad into the Surface and have it work natively.

Vita has, among other things, has: Uncharted, Unit 13, Gravity Rush, Hot Shots, Wipeout, Lumines, and Mutant Blobs Attack for good to great non-port games. Then there's ports of BlazBlue, Marvel vs. Capcom 3, MK, Rayman, and Disgaea 3, with the exception of MK all are great ports and MK's only problem is the graphics are disappointing.

That's a pretty damn solid lineup. The Vita has no games meme is false.

Now, it's a valid argument to point out that there's no killer app on that list. Uncharted and Gravity Rush are the closest, and neither really end up getting there. It's also valid to point out that since Gravity Rush came out nearly two months ago, the releases have totally dried up. The Vita has problems. But people really need to stop pretending like genuinely good games haven't come out for it.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Zephiran wrote: »
    So, Square Enix intends to support their Wii/U MMO Dragon Quest X with updates every ten weeks and DLC.

For ten years.

That's uh, rather... Lofty. If they can actually do it though? Fuck, my hat's off to them. They'd be making a more consistent game than most of the recent MMO releases.

Still. Ten years, off of subscriptions? That sounds a bit too optimistic to my ears and trips my Bullshit Instincts.

It was released just a couple days ago, right? Any early word on sales?

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    It's not that the Vita doesn't have games worth playing. It's just that they sell like ass. Supposedly Gravity Rush, the game that Vita fans were really looking forward to, sold only 50,000 or so.

Speaking of Vita:
    SCE UK chief Fergal Gara admits he'd love to see Vita selling better, but believes its best months are still to come.

The MD told MCV that with Call of Duty, FIFA, Assassin's Creed and LittleBigPlanet on the way this Christmas, there's every reason to believe the machine's performance will improve as we head towards the crucial peak selling period.

"We would love it to be selling more and we intend to make it sell more and help it sell a lot more," he explained.

"The feedback from many consumers who’ve got their hands on it is positive – so that’s a very good start.

"The key thing for the rest of the year is the key software drive for the console so as we look towards September, LittleBigPlanet, that really is taking the concept on another level because of the Vita functionality. And of course the other key big third party IPs – Call of Duty, FIFA, Assassin’s Creed – will do tremendous things for the Vita. So it’s our job now to take that strength of software and give people more reasons to buy.

"I think we haven’t quite hit the spot with the killer software just yet and I have every reason to think that will happen in the next few months.

Sony says it will be working alongside the likes of Activision and Ubisoft in order to ensure Creed and Call of Duty are reasons to pick up the high-end handheld.

"Our first and foremost job is to drive install base and those IPs are owned by those guys so we’ll put our arms round them and work collaboratively with both teams to make the best of it," he said.

"You saw an example of how Assassin's Creed may be presented there with the white Vita pack and bundle. That’s an example of how you can take the game and go the extra mile by working together."

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/sony-vita-s-killer-games-are-still-to-come/0100579

Interesting he didn't mention Sly and Sony Smash Bros.

Probably because those are ports while the four he was talking about are original games in their respective series. Well, I guess I know nothing about sports games so maybe FIFA is a port.

• Options
    Well, we definitely know Assassin's Creed Vita is original. I think Call of Duty is original too but we've heard zilch about it since it was announced which is a little worrying. FIFA is FIFA, I guess.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

For ten years.

FFXI has been going strong for just slightly longer now with fairly regular updates to this day. (The most recent content match was just last month actually)

I don't know if they can exactly replicate that sort of success with anything else, but if it's an actual decent game I'd say the Dragon Quest name might just allow them to do it.

• Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    We also know those games will sell like ass. Vita is doing horrible and unlike PSP, which did well in Japan to keep it alive, the PSV can't even manage that. I'm just wondering if TGS will be a blood bath like it was last year.

• Options
    KryhsKryhs Registered User regular
    I have immediate access to three TV's, so I personally have zero use for a handheld. Never mind that I hate gimmick gaming with a touch screen. Plus I always feel like any game that I would want to play on a handheld could have been even better on a real console, and thus I feel cheated. Silly, I know.

• Options
    Algertman wrote: »
    We also know those games will sell like ass. Vita is doing horrible and unlike PSP, which did well in Japan to keep it alive, the PSV can't even manage that. I'm just wondering if TGS will be a blood bath like it was last year.

That's right, it's up in a month and a half, isn't it?

I think if there's no killer apps announced there, I think it'll be safe to abandon hope for any kind of real success for the system.

• Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

For ten years.

FFXI has been going strong for just slightly longer now with fairly regular updates to this day. (The most recent content match was just last month actually)

I don't know if they can exactly replicate that sort of success with anything else, but if it's an actual decent game I'd say the Dragon Quest name might just allow them to do it.

Heck, FF XI is even getting a new expansion pack sometime next year.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    urahonky wrote: »
    True but would they sell Ouendan and Trauma Center at $1 or $30? I bet it would sell poorly at $30.

The thought of playing either of those games on a capacitive touch screen sends shivers down my spine.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'd say Dragon Quest'll do well in Japan because it is Dragon Quest. If they can adjust their team to support just Japan I think they might be able to do it. I'm kind of curious if X will make it over here. I think the Wii ship has saled on that one but perhaps the Wii U one? It'll probably have to be retooled to even have a chance (no subscription would help). Then again they might still be able to sell to the few western fans they have even with the subscription and just be happy with the initial purchase.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    http://www.ea.com/news/eamaxis-sue-zynga-for-copyright-infringement
    Today, on behalf of Maxis, EA filed a lawsuit against Zynga over their game, The Ville. I thought it would be useful to draft a post to explain the substance and background of this decision.

The core legal issue is our belief that Zynga infringed copyrights to our game, The Sims Social. In legal terms, our claim is that Zynga copied the original and distinctive expressive elements of The Sims Social in a clear violation of the U.S. copyright laws.

The legal reasons are solid. But for creative teams who feel that their hard work and imaginations have been ripped off, there’s obviously an emotional element too.

When we launched The Sims Social in August 2011, Maxis brought the distinctive universe of our world-renowned franchise, The Sims, to Facebook. We created a game that allowed players to create Sims that can interact with the Sims of their Facebook friends. It was an instant hit, gaining tens of millions of users, many of whom continue to play the game after nearly a year since launch.

As outlined in our complaint, when The Ville was introduced in June 2012, the infringement of The Sims Social was unmistakable to those of us at Maxis as well as to players and the industry at large. The similarities go well beyond any superficial resemblance. Zynga’s design choices, animations, visual arrangements and character motions and actions have been directly lifted from The Sims Social. The copying was so comprehensive that the two games are, to an uninitiated observer, largely indistinguishable. Scores of media and bloggers commented on the blatant mimicry.

This is a case of principle. Maxis isn’t the first studio to claim that Zynga copied its creative product. But we are the studio that has the financial and corporate resources to stand up and do something about it. Infringing a developer’s copyright is not an acceptable practice in game development. By calling Zynga out on this illegal practice, we hope to have a secondary effect of protecting the rights of other creative studios who don’t have the resources to protect themselves.

I’m certain there will be a response. Some will say The Ville simply iterates; some will tell us to get over it and move on. We are confident in our position, and that we will prevail.

But even if we do not, we will have made a point.

As a longstanding game developer, I know what it feels like to pour your heart and soul into creating something unique and special for your fans to enjoy. Today, we hope to be taking a stand that helps the industry protect the value of original creative works and those that work tirelessly to create them.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Wow. That has the potential to be very, very big and very, very bad for Zynga.

• Options
    KryhsKryhs Registered User regular
    http://www.ea.com/news/eamaxis-sue-zynga-for-copyright-infringement
    Today, on behalf of Maxis, EA filed a lawsuit against Zynga over their game, The Ville. I thought it would be useful to draft a post to explain the substance and background of this decision.

The core legal issue is our belief that Zynga infringed copyrights to our game, The Sims Social. In legal terms, our claim is that Zynga copied the original and distinctive expressive elements of The Sims Social in a clear violation of the U.S. copyright laws.

The legal reasons are solid. But for creative teams who feel that their hard work and imaginations have been ripped off, there’s obviously an emotional element too.

When we launched The Sims Social in August 2011, Maxis brought the distinctive universe of our world-renowned franchise, The Sims, to Facebook. We created a game that allowed players to create Sims that can interact with the Sims of their Facebook friends. It was an instant hit, gaining tens of millions of users, many of whom continue to play the game after nearly a year since launch.

As outlined in our complaint, when The Ville was introduced in June 2012, the infringement of The Sims Social was unmistakable to those of us at Maxis as well as to players and the industry at large. The similarities go well beyond any superficial resemblance. Zynga’s design choices, animations, visual arrangements and character motions and actions have been directly lifted from The Sims Social. The copying was so comprehensive that the two games are, to an uninitiated observer, largely indistinguishable. Scores of media and bloggers commented on the blatant mimicry.

This is a case of principle. Maxis isn’t the first studio to claim that Zynga copied its creative product. But we are the studio that has the financial and corporate resources to stand up and do something about it. Infringing a developer’s copyright is not an acceptable practice in game development. By calling Zynga out on this illegal practice, we hope to have a secondary effect of protecting the rights of other creative studios who don’t have the resources to protect themselves.

I’m certain there will be a response. Some will say The Ville simply iterates; some will tell us to get over it and move on. We are confident in our position, and that we will prevail.

But even if we do not, we will have made a point.

As a longstanding game developer, I know what it feels like to pour your heart and soul into creating something unique and special for your fans to enjoy. Today, we hope to be taking a stand that helps the industry protect the value of original creative works and those that work tirelessly to create them.

I may not like EA. At all. But Zynga is a horrid company with terrible practices, so I hope they lose. I haven't played either game. Are they a lot alike?

• Options
    Kryhs wrote: »
    I haven't played either game. Are they a lot alike?

I tried and failed to find a comparison between the two (I'm sure we'll start getting them shortly), though I found a very interesting article instead:
    Electronic Arts came out of nowhere when it launched The Sims Social on Facebook. The social game that simulates human life took off like wildfire, surpassing FarmVille and closing in on Zynga’s most popular game, CityVille. Now Raptr, the social network for gamers, has revealed some interesting data about just who is playing The Sims Social. As suspected, many of the players came from Zynga.

The majority of The Sims Social’s user base are Zynga players, according to data collected from 10 million people on Raptr’s gamer social network. EA’s own social games and The Sims 3 accounted for only 15 percent of the total players of The Sims Social. Zynga players, on the other hand, account for 50 percent of all of The Sims Social players. About 30 percent came from other social games, and 5 percent came from World of WarCraft.

The Sims Social is now the No. 2 game on Facebook with 66 million monthly active players, compared to 76 million for CityVille, according to AppData. If roughly half of those players came from Zynga, we’re talking about close to 33 million users. Of course, not every single one of the Zynga players has quit playing a Zynga game in order to play The Sims Social. But CityVille has dropped from more than 100 million players.

http://venturebeat.com/2011/10/12/eas-the-sims-social-has-stolen-a-lot-of-players-from-zynga/

• Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    EA is a company I'm not fond of at all but at least they don't indulge in blatant plagiarism.

If Zynga loses I think it's safe to say that we'll be saying goodbye to them very soon.

• Options
    EVOL wrote: »
    EA is a company I'm not fond of at all but at least they don't indulge in blatant plagiarism.

If Zynga loses I think it's safe to say that we'll be saying goodbye to them very soon.

Oh man. I mean... It sucks for the developers, but I'd be happy with that.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Reggie Davis, General Counsel for Zynga:

"We are committed to creating the most fun, innovative, social and engaging games in every major genre that our players enjoy. The Ville is the newest game in our 'ville' franchise – it builds on every major innovation from our existing invest-and-express games dating back to YoVille and continuing through CityVille and CastleVille, and introduces a number of new social features and game mechanics not seen in social games today. It's unfortunate that EA thought that this was an appropriate response to our game, and clearly demonstrates a lack of understanding of basic copyright principles. It's also ironic that EA brings this suit shortly after launching SimCity Social which bears an uncanny resemblance to Zynga's CityVille game. Nonetheless, we plan to defend our rights to the fullest extent possible and intend to win with players."

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr108/davesbase/OHSNAP.jpg

Still hope Zynga loses the suit. That would be pretty devastating after their insider trading.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Dritz wrote: »
    I'd say Dragon Quest'll do well in Japan because it is Dragon Quest. If they can adjust their team to support just Japan I think they might be able to do it. I'm kind of curious if X will make it over here. I think the Wii ship has saled on that one but perhaps the Wii U one? It'll probably have to be retooled to even have a chance (no subscription would help). Then again they might still be able to sell to the few western fans they have even with the subscription and just be happy with the initial purchase.

Depending on how similar the code is in terms of translation I could see Nintendo doing a limited run of DQXWii ala Xenoblade.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Just how huge of a money black hole has Final Fantasy 14 become? This huge:
    RPG Site: About how large now is the team working on FF14 and how has it - if at all - affected Square Enix development internally?

Yoshida: Currently, the in-house team consists of almost 300 members. We also have outsourced a fair amount of work to third-party companies, so all-in-all, the team is fairly large.

http://www.rpgsite.net/articles/397-final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn-developer-interview

"Fairly" large?

This discussion has been closed.