As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

(500) Days of Spidey

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    a phd in shakin' it

• Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    Hey, people who read Ultimate Spider Man, I have a Spider-Men related question.

(Spoilers for Spider-Men, I guess? I dunno if anybody cares, but better safe than sorry.)

So, what's the deal with Ultimate Mysterio? Apparently he has robots or something that do most of the heavy lifting?
    Ultimate Mysterio is normal Mysterio. Somehow he discovers how to travel to the Ultimate Universe. He sees a ridiculously under prepared world that he can play in with no repercussion so he uses a proxy body to trample around, take over the mob and then search for a powerful cosmic item of almost infinite power.

That's silly.

Comic books are silly.

• Options
    awesome

they are awesome

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    The smartest ass

Blake's ass has a phd

When people called me that when I was young, I said a smart arse is when you sit on ice cream, you could tell what flavour it is.

• Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    That doesn't sound different to me than any other religion, honestly

The biggest difference I've always seen is that we were around to see the genesis of it from a science fiction author

As for the things they actually claim to believe, it's just as batshit insane as all other religions, and there's certainly plenty of financial and PR shenanigans going on for other religions as well, even more so. Scientology just doesn't have the numbers or the funds to make it run as smoothly and seamlessly as the others do, combined with the fact that our parents were around to see the birth of it.

But yeah, as an actor, though he'll always be a celebrity first in his roles - he'll never be able to disappear in his characters like Daniel Day-Lewis or Gary Oldman - he does a damn fine job with most of the things he's handed

Scientology violently brainwashes its members, it uses financial means to prevent people from leaving lest they get hit with crushing debts that will completely destroy them, it uses fucking slave labour in the form of the Sea Org which, by the way, is also responsible for child neglect and abuse on a staggeringly huge scale, it runs actual torture chambers where people have died and it has used spies to try and destroy any government records that might be used to incriminate them.

Anyone who says that Scientology doesn't sound much different from any other religion has no fucking clue as to what they're talking about.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I mean if you want to see how crazy tom cruise is, check out holmes' story on how and why she got a divorce

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    in my mind the deal with the clone saga is that some dudes thought it would be funny to clone spiderman a bunch of times and release the duplicates into the wild

sometimes they flipped the 'evil' switch in the brain first, just to see what would happen

• Options
    Let me tell everyone what the clone saga is

the clone saga is bad

it is terrible!

it is a dark, dark era of Spider-Man comics and we of the new age should bow out head in thanks that we no longer must suffer it's indignities, save in the form of a reasonably good Scarlet Spider book

• Options
    Solar wrote: »

the clone saga is bad

it is terrible!

it is a dark, dark era of Spider-Man comics and we of the new age should bow out head in thanks that we no longer must suffer it's indignities, save in the form of a reasonably good Scarlet Spider book

so is the scarlet spider a clone or something

i have never had any idea what that dude's deal is

• Options

the clone saga is bad

it is terrible!

If this is a real question

yes

• Options
    The Scarlet Spider is Ben Reilly, the clone of spider-man. During the clone saga it was all ohhh is ben actually the real peter parker or is peter parker peter parker who woke up first ahhhhhhh

but then it was like nah ben reilly was the clone and now he's dead bye

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

the clone saga is bad

it is terrible!

While Langly is right, the editorial intent was, Peter shouldn't be married, so they replaced him with someone who was exactly like him, but not married.

• Options
    Except he had BLONDE TIPS.

BECAUSE IT WAS THE NINETIES.

• Options
    Scarlett spidey was a pretty cool costume though.

• Options
    Well actually the current Scarlet Spider is Kaine

aka Peter Parker if he was an angry, kind of amoral dude

he's trying to do the whole "I'm a jerk but I want to be a hero" thing, which is cool

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Except he had BLONDE TIPS.

BECAUSE IT WAS THE NINETIES.

nope

he dyed his hair blonde to differentiate himself from peter

also ben reilly is how they SHOULD have split up the marriage

not this DEVIL DID IT bullshit

• Options
    edited July 2012
    They should never have fucking split up the marriage

especially given that Dan Slott then did his whole "what if Peter grew up and became, like, a responsible adult?" thing

which makes that whole OMD attempt to bring Spider-Man back down to a more "relatable" level laughable

Solar on
  • Options
    Honestly.

The devil thing is dumb.

But.

It works better. Because this way it's very finite.

The fact that went back to the status quo is proof that it wasn't very finite.

• Options
    Honestly.

The devil thing is dumb.

But.

It works better. Because this way it's very finite.

The fact that went back to the status quo is proof that it wasn't very finite.

well it was mostly becuase they had this massive, over-long story that nobody cared about and ben wasn't doing as well as they had hoped

• Options
    like it didn't really matter who was the real peter and who was the clone

just go "this guy's spider-man now"

• Options
    Well people who been reading spidey for years and loved him

were understandably a bit hacked off when they said HEY GUYS THIS IS THE REAL SPIDER-MAN OVER HERE

• Options
    like i said

doesn't really matter who was the clone

should've just said "shit who knows" and let people make their own assumptions

it adds exactly nothing to the story, knowing who's the clone

the important thing is that it gives peter a chance to live a normal life while still have a spider-man banging around punchin fools

• Options
    Yeah but that's not good enough for some people i.e. me

I want to know who the fucking clone is

because I do

and anyway, the whole thing was crap

so best to just say "Peter isn't a clone, now let's move on"

• Options
    But they said Peter was the clone

But no one wanted Ben to be spiderman because he wasn't Peter.

• Options
    pretty much

and for good reason

• Options

people are stupid and dumb

ben was cool

• Options
    He was okay

• Options
    Buttlord wrote: »

ben was cool

It's the problem that they had with the lanterns.

They keep replacing them and expected people to be happy with the new ones.

And they never were.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    That doesn't sound different to me than any other religion, honestly

The biggest difference I've always seen is that we were around to see the genesis of it from a science fiction author

As for the things they actually claim to believe, it's just as batshit insane as all other religions, and there's certainly plenty of financial and PR shenanigans going on for other religions as well, even more so. Scientology just doesn't have the numbers or the funds to make it run as smoothly and seamlessly as the others do, combined with the fact that our parents were around to see the birth of it.

But yeah, as an actor, though he'll always be a celebrity first in his roles - he'll never be able to disappear in his characters like Daniel Day-Lewis or Gary Oldman - he does a damn fine job with most of the things he's handed

Scientology violently brainwashes its members, it uses financial means to prevent people from leaving lest they get hit with crushing debts that will completely destroy them, it uses fucking slave labour in the form of the Sea Org which, by the way, is also responsible for child neglect and abuse on a staggeringly huge scale, it runs actual torture chambers where people have died and it has used spies to try and destroy any government records that might be used to incriminate them.

Anyone who says that Scientology doesn't sound much different from any other religion has no fucking clue as to what they're talking about.

Yeah it'spretty insulting. " I don't like organized religion so all religions are cults that scam idiots hurr."
    I could leave Catholicism tomorrow and I'm pretty sure only my mother would harass me in any serious manner. Then if I decided to become jewish or something they wouldn't charge me my entire income for a year and make me work in their salt mines while indoctrinating my children to not be able to survive in the outside world

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    well some people were

some people like Kyle because they never read Hal

of course, some people like Kyle because Hal is awful, as is just and right

• Options

ben was cool

It's the problem that they had with the lanterns.

They keep replacing them and expected people to be happy with the new ones.

And they never were.

the thing is you never need to replace a lantern, long term

"they're a new dude in the corps" alright word

• Options
    And yet, he is awful, but people still preferred him!

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Kyle's biggest claim to fame is starting the whole Women in Refrigerators things

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    well some people were

some people like Kyle because they never read Hal

of course, some people like Kyle because Hal is awful, as is just and right

The only episode of Brave and the bold I cannot watch is Hal Jordan's

It's just so fucking boring. But the Wonder Woman teaser is in front of it so I have to risk accidentally seeing part of it.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    quick reminder that there is a new, arabic green lantern who wears a ski mask and carries a gun

• Options
    you know what's a detail i wish they would pay more attention to

the way different lanterns make their constructs

hal's a simple dude, all his shit is like "here's a thing doing it's thing wooooo"

john's an architect, builds all his shit piece by piece like a blueprint

kyle's an artist, comes up with wild shit

and guy is guy

either that or just everyone makes boxing gloves all the time

• Options
    you know what's a detail i wish they would pay more attention to

the way different lanterns make their constructs

hal's a simple dude, all his shit is like "here's a thing doing it's thing wooooo"

john's an architect, builds all his shit piece by piece like a blueprint

kyle's an artist, comes up with wild shit

and guy is guy

either that or just everyone makes boxing gloves all the time

they used to do that all the time

maybe they still do, i don't know, i forgot green lantern existed until just now

• Options
    they don't now that everyone's doing their own thing

also

throwing this out there

the indigo lanterns are pretty cool

• Options
    also kyle is a stupid asshole

the guardians are corrupted by the Entities and shut down the green rings

so the earth lanterns are like "fuck let's use these rings from the other corps, and we'll fuck their shit up"

kyle takes a goddamn blue ring

blue rings are fucking useless without a green one nearby

• Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    There was a big two-page spread in Green Lantern Corps a while back that contrasted their various styles. I thought it was neat but apparently some people had problems with it? (Discontent on the internet: shocking revelation, I know.)

This discussion has been closed.