As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D PAX Dinner] August 31st, 7pm, Long Provincial

• Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    Called the restaurant to make reservations, they said they're not taking reservations that weekend because of PAX, and that even if they were, they wouldn't be able to fit 22 people because of how their restaurant is laid out. She suggested that if we still wanted to go to Pacific Place, Gordon Biersch might be able to fit us since they're a bigger restaurant and their lay out is more conducive to large groups. Not even remotely Mexican or Thai, though.

Plan B?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Gordon Biersch has a nice mix of a menu, I wouldn't mind going there.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    My suggestion: Wild Ginger 1401 Third Avenue location. Having seen their restaurant, they can fit 22 easily, and given their distance from the Convention Center, they probably won't be as bad as Mexico Cantina. Looking at their menu, nice selection, looks to be about $20 a plate for entrees.

Edit - It's a 12 minute walk from the Convention Center.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    That could work.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    isn't there a thai place in pacific place? I think I remember there being one.

and yeah, Wild Ginger had a nice looking menu.

• Options
    I'd really prefer not thai, because I'm not a fan of it, and it seems every year thats what everyone wants to do, but if thats the decision I'll just skip the dinner.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    isn't there a thai place in pacific place? I think I remember there being one.

and yeah, Wild Ginger had a nice looking menu.

They're even tinier than the Mexican Cantina restaurant.

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    I'd really prefer not thai, because I'm not a fan of it, and it seems every year thats what everyone wants to do, but if thats the decision I'll just skip the dinner.

I'm fine with either one, or even Il Fornaio on the first floor of Pacific Place (Italian food). Just going by what everyone else was expressing interest in.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    noooo. no skipping.

gordon biersch sounds fine.

but i'm also semi delirious from having lack of sleep/

• Options
    Anything not really thai I'm ok with, whatever can take the party.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Gordon Biersch sounds like a good plan, then.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Preacher, I find your lack of taste disturbing.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    He makes up for it with hair.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    If Wild Ginger is on the table, then you should check out Long Provincial, which is a Vietnamese place a few blocks over.

http://longprovincial.com/

They validate parking, and they can accomodate large groups.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I would prefer Long over Thai Ginger. Schrodinger is right that it's a better quality of food, and they have a larger menu. They cost about the same, I think.

If it's an option, I'd also suggest 820 Pike. It is right across the street from the convention center, but they do normally take reservations, and it's pretty good food at a good price. They've got Japanese, Korean, and Chinese food there (the drunken chicken is quite good, I've heard the sushi isn't bad, either). Plus they make decent cocktails.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Didn't we got to 820 pike years ago? I swear I recall going to some place down town with you and jeep where we saw an suv take out a skateboarder.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Didn't we got to 820 pike years ago? I swear I recall going to some place down town with you and jeep where we saw an suv take out a skateboarder.
    820 Pike has only been around for maybe a year or so, if that; I don't even think it was there last PAX. We might have gone to the restaurant that used to be in the same place.

But I mean, really, we're in Seattle, here; we tend to go to Thai and Asian places because that is the kind of food that Seattle is really good at, that you can't get in a lot of other places in the country. I mean, those of us who live here kind of take it for granted, but taking someone out of town to a Gordon Biersch is kind of a dick move.

• Options
    Well I'd hate to do a dick move to anyone, take my name off the dinner my wife and I will find a place to eat by ourselves.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    If Wild Ginger is on the table, then you should check out Long Provincial, which is a Vietnamese place a few blocks over.

http://longprovincial.com/

They validate parking, and they can accomodate large groups.

Ok. Since it does seem like the majority are wanting Thai or Mexican, and there are all those Thai places. See what everyone says before, say... 6 tonight, then I'll call them and make reservations.

Sorry @Preacher.

• Options
    That's fine I never felt welcome anyway, so this is more of a confirmation of it. Have fun.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    That's fine I never felt welcome anyway, so this is more of a confirmation of it. Have fun.

Oh now don't be like that. I don't know about the others, but you and your lady are some of the first people I think of when planning these things. Right after @Desc and @Kakos

• Options
    Ok, three hours wait is enough. Long Provincial it is, hopefully. Calling them now.

• Options
    Welp, that was easy. August 31st, 7pm, Long Provincial. Done and done.

• Options
    I am unfamiliar with Vietnamese cuisine (except pho).

1. What's tasty?
    2. Do they use much milk/cheese/whey? Because my wife can't eat it.

• Options
    Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 the other's insane Denver CORegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I'm a lactose bigot as well and Thai/Vietnamese has little milk involved anywhere. There's generally a good cashew dish or two. Think spicy meats & rice, lotta carrots and curries.

Dyrwen66 on
    Just an ancient PA person who doesn't leave the house much.
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    We should check for peanut allergies...

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I was just about to suggest that.

• Options
    We totally need an eating-out group organizer that tracks allergies and "not eating that ever" and so forth so we can maximize dining. Quick, someone make an app!

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Tends to be very little lactose in Asian cuisine. I am probably allergic to shrimp/crab but can definitely avoid them myself.

As an aside, one of you folks who will be at PAX needs to stop by the RIOT booth and get codes for as many of the PAX skins as possible. If you can pick me up some I will make sure to buy you a drink.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    I do that every year. I'm friends with a few [E]s, too, so occasionally I get some of the leftover extras, too.

• Options
    Houn wrote: »

1. What's tasty?

You're kidding, right?

Asian people are famously lactose intolerant.

Vietnamese cuisine does have some dairy in their desserts due to the French influence. But those are easily avoidable.

Vietnamese is also fairly distinct from Thai. And you can order food that's very different from Thai, assuming that Preacher isn't just sick of Asian food in general. And it doesn't use nearly as many peanuts as Thai.

Full Disclosure: I should mention that the guy who run Long is a family friend. He's a good guy. He also owns another restaurant called Tamarind Tree, but Tamarind Tree is more for "mainstream" Vietnamese food, while Long Provincial is more traditional Vietnamese food. They specialize in Vietnamese dishes that every immigrant knows how to make, but got out of the habit of making when they came to America.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWHJPTUy_FQ

• Options

1. What's tasty?

You're kidding, right?

No, I'm not. Because:

A. Whey is in fucking everything. Taco seasoning, gravy mix, boullion soup bases, breads, sauces, noodles, and even many processed meats as a binding agent.
    B. I don't know if this place is traditional, and thus going to avoid milk, or Americanized.

I'm well aware that most traditional asian food is safe for my wife to eat. I'm not familiar with Vietnamese in general, or this place in particular. That's kinda why I asked, yo.

• Options

1. What's tasty?

You're kidding, right?

No, I'm not. Because:

A. Whey is in fucking everything. Taco seasoning, gravy mix, boullion soup bases, breads, sauces, noodles, and even many processed meats as a binding agent.
    B. I don't know if this place is traditional, and thus going to avoid milk, or Americanized.

I'm well aware that most traditional asian food is safe for my wife to eat. I'm not familiar with Vietnamese in general, or this place in particular. That's kinda why I asked, yo.

As long as she doesn't eat dessert she should be fine.

• Options
    Passerbye wrote: »

1. What's tasty?

You're kidding, right?

No, I'm not. Because:

Which just leaves question #1:

What's tasty? ;-)

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Human flesh.

• Options
    Passerbye wrote: »

1. What's tasty?

You're kidding, right?

No, I'm not. Because:

Which just leaves question #1:

What's tasty? ;-)

Pretty much all of it. Vietnamese food is delicious.

• Options
    I'll e-mail the owner later on to see if he has any recommendations, especially in terms of dishes you can't find elsewhere. I can also ask if he can suggest anything that won't be on the standard menu.

Just out of curiosity, how many people would be willing to chip in $5-$10 towards a few family style platters?

• Options
    I'll e-mail the owner later on to see if he has any recommendations, especially in terms of dishes you can't find elsewhere. I can also ask if he can suggest anything that won't be on the standard menu.

Just out of curiosity, how many people would be willing to chip in $5-$10 towards a few family style platters?
    I'd definitely be down for that.

Their menu is quite extensive, FYI. Largely noodle and soup dishes, but lots of other stuff, too.

• Options
    I'm happy to pitch in for the group. Nobody is allowed to leave hungry.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Hi guys.

Sorry been with the parents.

What's the plan? Where am I going? What am I doing?

edit:

never mind! found it!

lonelyahava on