As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Chik-fil-GAY ... an honest discussion of homosexuality and the perils therein*

• Options
    InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    I remember going to KFC super late once and they told me they only had 4 mixed pieces of chicken left so I was just like throw that shit in a box with some biscuits and we're cool. I felt bad for the 3 or 4 cars behind me.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Does someone maintain like a list of admittedly bigoted companies/companies that donate to hate groups that I should avoid when possible? I've never paid for Chik-Fil-A and I stopped going to the Salvation Army, but I'd feel like a dope if some other chain I've been going to gives a bunch of money to the AFA or something.

Someone told me that Domino's is Christian/anti-gay, can anyone verify? I mean, they're already anti-pizza so I guess that's just gravy.

here's some: http://www.salon.com/2012/07/24/right_wingers_food_companies_salpart/

Well shit. I liked Domino's and adored a Hardee's (aka Carl's Jr for you western people) breakfast every now and then. Thankfully, White Castle and Krystal are not the same company.

Waffle House is also a shame but I've migrated to IHOP for super late/early meals anyway.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    What I would do for some Popeye in this town

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Buttlord wrote: »
    I'm actually doing an abrupt 180 because of something I just found that you lazy bastards could have dug up to trump me:
    "Lisa Henson, our CEO, is personally a strong supporter of gay marriage and has directed us to donate the payment we received from Chick-fil-A to GLAAD (the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation)," the Henson Co.'s posting said.
    We cool now.
    like i said

jim's bag was reaching people no matter who they were

you think the upper echelons of the henson company disagree with that
    Quit being intentionally thick.

The original thing was that they claim to support gay marriage but didn't do the minute's worth of research to vet Chick-fil-A. If you are that gung-ho about gay rights, why aren't you researching the companies you make deals with? The logic, it was not there.

The fact that they have donated the dirty chicken money to GLAAD proves that this was an oversight and confirms their commitment. Sorry if I really haven't been super-trustworthy of companies recently, but I needed a bit more proof that this wasn't just for the sake of PR.
    No. That's your own opinion.

I mean I think gay rights are needed but I don't personally do research on every company I buy products from. And I didn't know about chick's previous stances beforehand.

Is there an outline to exactly what stances you need to check before you partner with an organization?

Honestly I didn't mention the donation thing because I learnt about it at the same time as the JHC pulled out. I thought it was general knowledge as I'm sure many other people did also.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I believe McDonald's has been a surprisingly long-term ally. I just remember NOM or one of those fuckers giving McDonald's a lot of shit for something gay-related.

If only McDonald's had good food...

the angus third pounders are decent

and I like the mcchickens

and the sausage mcmuffin is crazy tasty

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Ugh

Ugh ugh ugh

In a debate with a friend who says Chik-Fil-A should be judged just by it's product, not it's policies and I'm not only finding it hard not to punch him but he's also pulling the 'Oh so you won't buy a game if it's made by a company that's from a different religion?'

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    And I just asuighalsjhsg;ouiah

BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Does someone maintain like a list of admittedly bigoted companies/companies that donate to hate groups that I should avoid when possible? I've never paid for Chik-Fil-A and I stopped going to the Salvation Army, but I'd feel like a dope if some other chain I've been going to gives a bunch of money to the AFA or something.

Someone told me that Domino's is Christian/anti-gay, can anyone verify? I mean, they're already anti-pizza so I guess that's just gravy.

The former CEO was anti-gay. The new one's a Repub like the old one, and both have donated to Repub organizations, but the new guy hasn't donated to any anti-gay groups that I can find. So I don't think so. Pizza Hut's more friendly though, and tastes better.

I do prefer Pizza Hut, although they're over twice as far away and I don't like paying for delivery...

what about Papa Johns? Mitt Romney keeps mentioning him so I'm already suspicious, and the pizza is still inferior to Pizza Hut.

• Options
    My first job was at Waffle House, they wanted me to hold the door open and handle people waiting to be seated, at a Waffle House? It was money though, my second day a women fainted right in front of where I was standing (luckily her boyfriend caught her) and they tried to bail but a firetruck blocked their car. I think they might of been illegal immigrants or something. The lady who owned the place gave me like 60 bucks in cash for the weekend I worked and never called me to come back in.

• Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    Veretas wrote: »
    Ugh

Ugh ugh ugh

In a debate with a friend who says Chik-Fil-A should be judged just by it's product, not it's policies and I'm not only finding it hard not to punch him but he's also pulling the 'Oh so you won't buy a game if it's made by a company that's from a different religion?'

Poop in his mouth and tell him to judge that product.

I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    punch 'em Veretas. Right in the kisser

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options

The former CEO was anti-gay. The new one's a Repub like the old one, and both have donated to Repub organizations, but the new guy hasn't donated to any anti-gay groups that I can find. So I don't think so. Pizza Hut's more friendly though, and tastes better.

I do prefer Pizza Hut, although they're over twice as far away and I don't like paying for delivery...

what about Papa Johns? Mitt Romney keeps mentioning him so I'm already suspicious, and the pizza is still inferior to Pizza Hut.

Pizza Hutt charges for extra cheese which should be a criminal offense.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

if you live anywhere near Papa Murphy's, you should get Papa Murphy's

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Ugh

Ugh ugh ugh

Why would a different religion matter? The analogy makes no sense. A better one would be "oh so you won't buy a game if it's made by a company that funds the KKK?" To which my answer would be of fucking course not!

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

here's some: http://www.salon.com/2012/07/24/right_wingers_food_companies_salpart/

Thanks, good to know.

• Options
    CyrondinCyrondin I bring the sick beats on you, brother Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    I believe McDonald's has been a surprisingly long-term ally. I just remember NOM or one of those fuckers giving McDonald's a lot of shit for something gay-related.

If only McDonald's had good food...

the angus third pounders are decent

and I like the mcchickens

and the sausage mcmuffin is crazy tasty

the sausage Mcmuffins are great for hangovers and after working 8 hours overnights.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »

i hope kisser is butthole in this instance

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited July 2012

That's the only thing I can find about Papa Johns, that they participated in a fundraiser for Mitt.

But Mitt was pro-gay for his political career until he decided to run for President years ago, soooooo

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    crwth wrote: »

gon' punch you right in the kisser in like a month :3

BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Ugh

Ugh ugh ugh

If the game company supported policies denying people their civil rights, yes.

Meanwhile you have folks like Ubisoft who go out of their way to point how how inclusive and multicultural their teams are.

• Options
    Ugh

Ugh ugh ugh

Why would a different religion matter? The analogy makes no sense. A better one would be "oh so you won't buy a game if it's made by a company that funds the KKK?" To which my answer would be of fucking course not!

Really, I think it is a logical disconnect in thinking we're talking about differences of opinions/interpretations rather than the systematic and institutionalised oppression of a group of people

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Ugh

Ugh ugh ugh

well lucky for me, the taste of homophobia is pretty similar to horse vomit, so I find it pretty easy to resist the food...

seriously though, when I eat fast food it's because I'm letting myself indulge in a rare unhealthy splurge. I'm there to enjoy myself, first and foremost. This just sucks any potential enjoyment I'd get out of the food, so there's really no reason for me to go no matter how it tastes.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Ugh

Ugh ugh ugh

Meanwhile you have folks like Ubisoft who go out of their way to point how how inclusive and multicultural their teams are.

To be fair, they started doing that for a very specific reason that had to do with the original Assassin's Creed

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    crwth wrote: »

gon' punch you right in the kisser in like a month :3

o...oh!!!

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2012
    Blake T wrote: »
    Buttlord wrote: »
    I'm actually doing an abrupt 180 because of something I just found that you lazy bastards could have dug up to trump me:
    "Lisa Henson, our CEO, is personally a strong supporter of gay marriage and has directed us to donate the payment we received from Chick-fil-A to GLAAD (the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation)," the Henson Co.'s posting said.
    We cool now.
    like i said

jim's bag was reaching people no matter who they were

you think the upper echelons of the henson company disagree with that
    Quit being intentionally thick.

The original thing was that they claim to support gay marriage but didn't do the minute's worth of research to vet Chick-fil-A. If you are that gung-ho about gay rights, why aren't you researching the companies you make deals with? The logic, it was not there.

The fact that they have donated the dirty chicken money to GLAAD proves that this was an oversight and confirms their commitment. Sorry if I really haven't been super-trustworthy of companies recently, but I needed a bit more proof that this wasn't just for the sake of PR.
    No. That's your own opinion.

I mean I think gay rights are needed but I don't personally do research on every company I buy products from. And I didn't know about chick's previous stances beforehand.

Is there an outline to exactly what stances you need to check before you partner with an organization?

Honestly I didn't mention the donation thing because I learnt about it at the same time as the JHC pulled out. I thought it was general knowledge as I'm sure many other people did also.
    Are you seriously comparing you, a private citizen with limited resources, to a major company that has whole teams of people they can dedicate to researching a company?

Do you think companies just make blind deals? You can bet that a lot of research is done on a multitude of areas before either company agrees to a deal.

Serious question here: if I claimed to support gay rights purely because it made me more money, would you think that was something worth applauding? I'm not saying you can't approve of the decision, but would you really applaud my wholly self-centered reasoning? That's the point I'm trying to make, and I'm happy that there was evidence found that proved Henson just made an error in judgement.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    Ugh

Ugh ugh ugh

well lucky for me, the taste of homophobia is pretty similar to horse vomit, so I find it pretty easy to resist the food...

seriously though, when I eat fast food it's because I'm letting myself indulge in a rare unhealthy splurge. I'm there to enjoy myself, first and foremost. This just sucks any potential enjoyment I'd get out of the food, so there's really no reason for me to go no matter how it tastes.

Yeah I'd just feel really, really uncomfortable and guilty if I tried to eat there now

I want to do with you
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Ugh

Ugh ugh ugh

To be fair, they started doing that for a very specific reason that had to do with the original Assassin's Creed

True

gat dang muslins ruinin mah biggeo grubs

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    But you had no proof either way.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    But you had no proof either way.
    ...which is why I said they should be neither scorned nor lauded. It was the right decision for what appeared to be iffy reasons.

Why is this complicated to understand?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    If you make a mistake, then you fix it. That's all there is to it.

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    You know, I was hoping that proving myself wrong would have ended this line of discussion.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options

That's the only thing I can find about Papa Johns, that they participated in a fundraiser for Mitt.

But Mitt was pro-gay for his political career until he decided to run for President years ago, soooooo

Eh, Romney's eyebrow-deep in the gay-hating party at this point; Pizza Hut it is. Best food of the three anyway.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    I'm just curious here, what kind of things do people do besides boycott to support the various things they support. Like, do you go out of your way to donate money to their cause or volunteer time with organizations or write the various extensions and representatives of their local governments, etc. I know it's a pretty heated argument on both sides so I just wonder what else people do.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    The people who are all "why would you boycott a company that makes good products just because they give a little money to something you don't like", it's, like

Let's say they were giving money to the Ku Klux Klan, or the American Nazi Party

How much money would they have to give to the KKK before they would put the waffle fries down

edit: I guess someone already made this point but it's a good point

Scooter on
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I dont wanna come out but I'm gonna have to soon because I'm running out of explanations for the fact that I've been vanishing every Saturday for 12-16 hours for a little over a month

It won't be a big deal but unrelated anxiety problems make me deathly afraid of change in any sort of status quo

Are you getting it in for 12-16 hours every Saturday orrr

I want to do with you
  • Options
    I'm just curious here, what kind of things do people do besides boycott to support the various things they support. Like, do you go out of your way to donate money to their cause or volunteer time with organizations or write the various extensions and representatives of their local governments, etc. I know it's a pretty heated argument on both sides so I just wonder what else people do.
    Boycotting is the easiest way to send a message. Not everyone has the time nor resources to donate or volunteer.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Like Karcher, Domino’s Pizza founder Tom Monaghan is an unapologetic supporter of anti-choice groups, including Operation Rescue, Right to Life, Priests for Life, and the Committee to End State-Funded Abortion in Michigan. (Domino’s itself has noted that it does not, as a company, support “either side of the reproductive rights issue.”)

Monaghan is a devout Catholic who also founded Ave Maria University. It’s said that he was inspired by a visit to the Vatican in the 1980s to found the Ave Maria List, an anti-choice PAC.

Good gravy

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular

I tossed a hundro to Obama when he came out in support of gay marriage

Mostly though I'm pretty lazy

• Options

Do not underestimate talking between your friends about opinions that you think are important.

• Options
    One time I was walkin with my girl and our kid around the park when I see this guy with a picket sign walkin around, not paying any attention to what the sign read as I walked past him I just blindly accepted the piece of paper he handed me. My girlfriend quickly grabbed it and handed it back to the man stating "Sorry we don't agree with that". It was then I noticed the sign had a bunch of anti-gay/Pro-Life/Traditional Marriage and whatever else these people decided to hate plastered all over it. It was then I realized people like me were part of the problem.

This discussion has been closed.