Options

Chik-fil-GAY ... an honest discussion of homosexuality and the perils therein*

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Dessart wrote: »
    Buttlord wrote: »
    My great-grandmother was at one time the oldest Chick-fila employee in the country. They gave her a cheap plastic watch as gift and the thing was always broken.

Yeah this whole deal is pretty messed up but I think with a constant, non-hateful cultural push Chick-fila and the rest of the South will eventually become more tolerant. I mean my mom's family is from one the more liberal parts of South Carolina and it wasnt until a short time ago that all businesses were closed on Sunday.

Also, waffle fries fo' life!

What do you mean by "non-hateful"?

"Lets fuck Chik-fila up for hating gay people! Fuck those assholes"

There are always good number of people who would be willing to spend hours on facebook and at real life locations just cursing at people who work at/go to Chick-fila. Shit can always escalate

who the fuck is doing this

I just spent a few months living with some gay guys that were quick to spitfire than to just protest peacefully. So uh I guess that isnt a huge portion of people

this is like

i'm trying to formulate a response that doesn't have a whole bunch of snark and failing

except to say that i can't blame people for raging about a company that supports discrimination against them

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    what is popeyes's stance on gay marriage

cause there's some tasty chicken

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm actually doing an abrupt 180 because of something I just found that you lazy bastards could have dug up to trump me:
    "Lisa Henson, our CEO, is personally a strong supporter of gay marriage and has directed us to donate the payment we received from Chick-fil-A to GLAAD (the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation)," the Henson Co.'s posting said.
    We cool now.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I'm actually doing an abrupt 180 because of something I just found that you lazy bastards could have dug up to trump me:
    "Lisa Henson, our CEO, is personally a strong supporter of gay marriage and has directed us to donate the payment we received from Chick-fil-A to GLAAD (the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation)," the Henson Co.'s posting said.
    We cool now.

like i said

jim's bag was reaching people no matter who they were

you think the upper echelons of the henson company disagree with that

Buttlord on
  • Options
    I truly am my own worst enemy.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options

if i wasn't running late there'd be a youtube video here

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Yeah, that was part of the official announcement, Razzamataz.

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    We cool now.

Did you click my link?!

Did you?

1993 Miss Piggy is saying that love is love. The end.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular

ned-worstanime-pic.jpg

• Options
    LordaenLordaen Registered User regular
    We cool now.

Well that's pretty cool. They should still get some funds to send that way anyway, yes?

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Just saw this:

391361_4009219161078_1947622812_n.jpg

Now this, on the other hand, much more directly comes off as a cold blooded business move than what the Hensen Company did.

Also the grammar is just awful

• Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    5.png

This is basically how I feel about chik-fil-a and people who eat there despite saying they support the LGBTQI community.

I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    We cool now.
    like i said

jim's bag was reaching people no matter who they were

you think the upper echelons of the henson company disagree with that
    Quit being intentionally thick.

The original thing was that they claim to support gay marriage but didn't do the minute's worth of research to vet Chick-fil-A. If you are that gung-ho about gay rights, why aren't you researching the companies you make deals with? The logic, it was not there.

The fact that they have donated the dirty chicken money to GLAAD proves that this was an oversight and confirms their commitment. Sorry if I really haven't been super-trustworthy of companies recently, but I needed a bit more proof that this wasn't just for the sake of PR.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    i doubt that was made by kfc or pepsi

mostly because the copy is so awful

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Does someone maintain like a list of admittedly bigoted companies/companies that donate to hate groups that I should avoid when possible? I've never paid for Chik-Fil-A and I stopped going to the Salvation Army, but I'd feel like a dope if some other chain I've been going to gives a bunch of money to the AFA or something.

Someone told me that Domino's is Christian/anti-gay, can anyone verify? I mean, they're already anti-pizza so I guess that's just gravy.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    crwth wrote: »

I haven't read anything about them being against it or for it. By them not being involved with the CFA nonsense, I'd take that as a good sign that they're pro.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    I need to move out of America. Christ.

I wish you wouldn't

I mean, I'm not in your situation, but it feels like that's just letting the hate win

and I hate letting hate win

• Options
    Yeah, that was part of the official announcement, Razzamataz.
    The article I originally read did not contain that factoid.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    honestly moving to canada is a long term goal of mine

short term is seattle

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Just saw this:

391361_4009219161078_1947622812_n.jpg

Now this, on the other hand, much more directly comes off as a cold blooded business move than what the Hensen Company did.

It's actually not KFC or Pepsi's idea. People saw that Huckabee wanted August 1 to be National Chik-Fil-A Day, so people countered that by making this image telling everybody to go to KFC instead as a boycott.

Oh okay. I guess in hindsight the lack of any official tiny text, and like Sheri says the terrible grammar, should have led me to realize it wasn't done by any particular company.

• Options
    InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    I got a Cow Calender for christmas last year that has a bunch of Chic Fil A coupons for free shit, I can still use those right? It's not like they are making any more money off me and I still got a free parfait sitting around.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    I would buy the shit out of some rainbow Oreos.
    Could you imagine the milk? Like a unicorn puked awesome in your mug.

I just found out Oreo has a Orange Ice Cream Oreo, introduced in Indonesia in 2011. That sounds fucking amazing. Orange-cicle Oreo? *drooool*

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I don't know their stance on gay marriage, but on the subject of chicken restaurant chains, Nando's makes the best commercials ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1EX--vdxh4

• Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Does someone maintain like a list of admittedly bigoted companies/companies that donate to hate groups that I should avoid when possible? I've never paid for Chik-Fil-A and I stopped going to the Salvation Army, but I'd feel like a dope if some other chain I've been going to gives a bunch of money to the AFA or something.

Someone told me that Domino's is Christian/anti-gay, can anyone verify? I mean, they're already anti-pizza so I guess that's just gravy.

here's some: http://www.salon.com/2012/07/24/right_wingers_food_companies_salpart/

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular

I wish you wouldn't

I mean, I'm not in your situation, but it feels like that's just letting the hate win

On the other hand you won't be living in the US!!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited July 2012

The former CEO was anti-gay. The new one's a Repub like the old one, and both have donated to Repub organizations, but the new guy hasn't donated to any anti-gay groups that I can find. So I don't think so. Pizza Hut's more friendly though, and tastes better.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular

I wish you wouldn't

OMG CD your av/sig

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I mean, it's good that the winds are blowing so that it's seen as good business to stand up for gay rights.

But, on the other hand, you don't really give a shit about doing the right thing. Just the profitable thing. So you would just as easily be a bigot if it put you further in the black.

other instances of the Henson Company being bigoted for cash include:
    ...giving Chick-fil-A the right to use their IP for toys?

It's not like Chick-fil-A was some secret cabal of fundamentalist heterosexuality. I'm an idiot and figured it out a good four years ago. I think a company that claims to be supportive of gay rights would do research at least on the same level as some fat guy's google search.

This just seems like sneering at some guy for being a homophobe last year after he very recently came out as supporting LGBT stuff. Stuff that's in the past is in the past. What someone or something does now is more important than then.

this and also there's no proof that the Henson Company isn't pro-QUILTBAG besides "they made a deal with chik-fil-a"

like you know this deal probably came about because chik-fil-a makes money so we should make a deal with them to make money, right

and then oh shit what no bad idea abort abort

Please tell me QUILTBAG is a legitimate rearrangement of the current acronym and not a stand-in for "I can't remember the current acronym"

• Options
    I believe McDonald's has been a surprisingly long-term ally. I just remember NOM or one of those fuckers giving McDonald's a lot of shit for something gay-related.

If only McDonald's had good food...

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    oh my god it totally is

QUeer Intersexed Lesbian Transgender Bisexual And Gay

• Options
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I mean, it's good that the winds are blowing so that it's seen as good business to stand up for gay rights.

But, on the other hand, you don't really give a shit about doing the right thing. Just the profitable thing. So you would just as easily be a bigot if it put you further in the black.

It's not like Chick-fil-A was some secret cabal of fundamentalist heterosexuality. I'm an idiot and figured it out a good four years ago. I think a company that claims to be supportive of gay rights would do research at least on the same level as some fat guy's google search.

This just seems like sneering at some guy for being a homophobe last year after he very recently came out as supporting LGBT stuff. Stuff that's in the past is in the past. What someone or something does now is more important than then.

this and also there's no proof that the Henson Company isn't pro-QUILTBAG besides "they made a deal with chik-fil-a"

like you know this deal probably came about because chik-fil-a makes money so we should make a deal with them to make money, right

Please tell me QUILTBAG is a legitimate rearrangement of the current acronym and not a stand-in for "I can't remember the current acronym"

Q - Queer and Questioning
    U - Unidentified
    I - Intersex
    L - Lesbian
    T - Transgender, Transexual
    B - Bisexual
    A - Asexual
    G - Gay, Genderqueer

• Options
    Delzhand wrote: »

It is

Queer
    U (Don't remember)
    Intersexed (?)
    Lesbian
    Trans
    Bisexual
    Asexual
    Gay

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular

I wish you wouldn't

It's hard to cope with, sometimes. Gays have it hard enough, and I have the additional stigma of being trans. If I'm out of the bay area I have to wear an additional layer over my shirt just so my breasts don't poke out and offend some delicate flower.

Sigh. At least Santa Cruz is fairly welcoming.

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular

The owner is very pro-life, as is the owner of Carl's Jr. but they provide pro-life donations from their own personal funds as private citizens, unlike the stance that Chick-Fil-A's owner has made clear.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    dbrock270 wrote: »
    Now. Are there any large corporations like chick-fil-a that donate to pro-lbgt groups?

@dbrock270

Levis
    American Apparel
    Nike
    Microsoft (Gates and Ballmer each donated $100k I believe)
    American Airlines
    Apple (also donated $100k)
    Google ($140k and a Legalize Love! global campaign)
    Starbucks
    Boeing
    IBM
    Ford
    actually surprised by some of the names on this list

• Options
    CyrondinCyrondin I bring the sick beats on you, brother Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    My KFC closed around my house years back so i can't have some. but i love pepsi and i think i buy a 12 pack and play WWE12 as CM punk who is pro gay and also love pepsi.

• Options
    Domino's is owned by Bain Capital

Just sayin'

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Sheri wrote: »

I wish you wouldn't

OMG CD your av/sig

it's from this dude's tumblr: http://drawbrandondraw.tumblr.com/post/27554936897/im-gonna-wreck-it

he's pretty awesome

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    crwth wrote: »

I haven't read anything about them being against it or for it. By them not being involved with the CFA nonsense, I'd take that as a good sign that they're pro.
    yes hahahaha yessssss ahahahahaaaa

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    One of the groups Chick-Fil-A, through the WinShape Foundation, funds:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exodus_International
    Exodus International is a non-profit, interdenominational "ex-gay" Christian organization that seeks to limit bisexual and homosexual desires. It was founded by Michael Bussee, Gary Cooper, Frank Worthen, Ron Dennis, and Greg Reid. Exodus International states reorientation of same-sex attraction is possible,[1] but warns its members not to go to counselors who claim they can help eliminate all attractions to the same gender.[2] It does not conduct clinical treatment but holds the position that, "reparative therapy - a holistic, counselling approach to addressing unwanted same-sex attraction - can be a beneficial tool."[3] Techniques "can include abstinence, lessening of homosexual temptations, strengthening their sense of masculine or feminine identity, correcting distorted styles of relating with members of the same and opposite gender."

This discussion has been closed.