As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Whose [American dream] is it?

spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filledRegistered User, __BANNED USERS regular
edited July 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
An interesting tangent arose in the defining feminism thread, which I think merits it's own topic. Privlege is discussed a lot on these boards, usually in the context of pointing out that one side of a debate is benefiting from it, but the origin of that privlege is mentioned far less. @Lolken posted a very interesting article from New York magazine (http://nymag.com/news/features/money-brain-2012-7/index4.html), which I recommend that everyone read. Here is a quote that stood out to me:
The aforementioned research seems to show that getting money and having money makes people selfish and anti­social. But it also appears to be true that selfish, antisocial people are the ones that ascend. And that is, in part, because rich or striving people tend to pass on their values and priorities to their children, as all parents do. Members of the lower and upper classes usually date and marry within their own ranks and “live in neighborhoods and attend schools and work with individuals who share similar levels of educational training and income,” write Kraus and his co-authors in their forthcoming article. And so the values of each group become both more and more clearly entrenched and incomprehensible to the other. “Parents in ­working-class contexts are relatively more likely to stress to their children that ‘It’s not just about you’ and to emphasize that although it is important to be strong and to stand up for oneself, it is also essential to be aware of the needs of others and to adhere to socially accepted rules and standards for behavior,” wrote a team led by Nicole Stephens, with Stanford University psychologist Hazel Markus, in 2007 in Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. Parents with higher incomes “more often tell their children that ‘It’s your world’ and emphasize the value of promoting oneself and developing one’s own interests.” The cries of “Go get ’em!” you hear in the playgrounds and on the baseball diamonds of America’s best neighborhoods reflect not just concern for children’s self-esteem but a worldview that emphasizes looking out for No. 1.

This is Markus’s main research interest: the mind-sets of class. She and her colleagues have found, broadly speaking, that the affluent value individuality—uniqueness, differentiation, achievement—whereas people lower down on the ladder tend to stress homogeneity, harmonious interpersonal relationships, and group affiliation. In 2005, Markus co-authored a paper that showed those with only a high-school education like country music for its message of group coherence, while those with college educations like indie music because it emphasizes personal uniqueness. In her 2007 paper, Stephens found this same variance in self-image by testing people’s preferences in ballpoint pens. She divided her subjects into two groups of lower and higher incomes and showed each subject five pens and asked him to choose one. The pens were identical and were widely considered to be good, even desirable. The only difference among them was their color. Three pens in the handful would be one color (say, green); two would be another (orange). In the test, lower-class people overwhelmingly chose the green pens, whereas higher-class people picked the less common color. ­Lower-class people wanted to be the same as their peers, whereas ­better-off subjects showed, Stephens wrote, “a preference for uniqueness and individuation.”

I think a lot of the article seems to show a pretty clear bias (and some of the researchers mentioned seem to even acknowledge this) but I think this part is spot on. The question in my mind is whether or not we should view this finding as a bad thing. If the wealthy are subscribing to ideas of rugged individualism and unbridled opportunity, does this mean they are harming others for the sake of their own advancement, or are they simply the last adherents to the "American dream" while the less well off have veered towards an attitude that is more community focused but also in direct opposition to classical American thought?

Based on discussions on these forums, it seems like there is a connection between people thinking the American dream is dead and being in favor of policies that favor groups over individuals. Have we outlived the usefulness of th American dream, or is the problem that some people have moved away from it, while other are holding fast to these traditional ideals and actually achieving them, while the rest of society isn't even throwing their hat in the ring?

spacekungfuman on

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The American Dream was never about rugged individualism. It's always been about being able to do as well, if not a bit better than one's predecessors. And historically, that's meant to work together and raise each other up.

And it's both telling and damning that the period of greatest economic growth for the US coincided with strong feelings of collective unity, whereas periods where individualism was celebrated are marked by weak economic growth.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Why can't they be both? Sticking to the traditional American dream and harming others. Historically Americans enjoyed unlimited space and resources when moving across the continent and an envious economic position in the world economy, you could be a grasping dick and not impinge on your fellow American's material well being, but that context is gone now, and the socioeconomic fabric of America and the world is more complex and interwoven with more collective action problems and services the community needs to provide.

Plus you see various European countries rate higher than America on social mobility and social cohesion, so its clearly not an either/or situation as well.

Dis' on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    @spacekungfuman Do you have any evidence whatsoever for "classic American thought" being all about crushing the proletariat for personal gain? Because it seems to me that our most celebrated eras also tend to be our most collectivist.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    Dis' wrote: »
    Why can't they be both? Sticking to the traditional American dream and harming others. Historically Americans enjoyed unlimited space and resources when moving across the continent and an envious economic position in the world economy, you could be a grasping dick and not impinge on your fellow American's material well being, but that context is gone now, and the socioeconomic fabric of America and the world is more complex and interwoven with more collective action problems and services the community needs to provide.

Plus you see various European countries rate higher than America on social mobility and social cohesion, so its clearly not an either/or situation as well.

Traditionally, grasping dicks have been granted low cost access to the public trusts. That "unclaimed" land to the west actually belonged to everyone who's tax money bought it in some way.

• Options
    Dis' wrote: »

Traditionally, grasping dicks have been granted low cost access to the public trusts. That "unclaimed" land to the west actually belonged to everyone who's tax money bought it in some way.

Yes, but those resources was still in many places consolidated into Planter Plantations and Robber Baron fiefdoms. My point being that in the past that would occur and there would still be economic opportunity left over - the small farmer bought out by the cotton plantation could go grow wheat out west, the guy from the Appalachian company town or foreign immigrant could go get a job in the Factory belt with a cheap house. There was space that could absorb those displaced by the machinations of the elite, but there really isn't any more (unless you're willing to take a massive drop in quality of life).

• Options
    ThejakemanThejakeman Registered User regular
    In her 2007 paper, Stephens found this same variance in self-image by testing people’s preferences in ballpoint pens. She divided her subjects into two groups of lower and higher incomes and showed each subject five pens and asked him to choose one. The pens were identical and were widely considered to be good, even desirable. The only difference among them was their color. Three pens in the handful would be one color (say, green); two would be another (orange). In the test, lower-class people overwhelmingly chose the green pens, whereas higher-class people picked the less common color. ­Lower-class people wanted to be the same as their peers, whereas ­better-off subjects showed, Stephens wrote, “a preference for uniqueness and individuation.”

Boy howdy is that some kind of stretch. I hate motivational research because people do this kind of thing all the time and extrapolate whatever they want from it. I would have picked the pen that was either a color I liked or promoted the greatest symmetry in remaining pens. What class am I?

There's undeniably a difference in class mindset, though. It's most readily apparent in schooling and codes of conduct between neighborhoods of high socioeconomic status and those of low socioeconomic status.

The American dream was largely funded, as other people have noted, by the abundance of land and resources left in this country after all the natives were relocated or wiped out. Once all that land was bought up, the American dream focused on new industries and ideas like fast food or film and radio, now that those industries are all glutted up the American dream has moved on to whatever innovations you can milk out of the internet. Eventually we'll be out of those too and mega corporations will own the internet and we'll have to move on to some other frontier. The real problem is that society doesn't have enough turnover. Since corporations are essentially immortal as long as they can continue selling their product, it's had to clear up room for new stuff to grow. We're like one of those choked European forests or deep jungles with no undergrowth because no sun reaches past the trees.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I think a lot of the article seems to show a pretty clear bias (and some of the researchers mentioned seem to even acknowledge this) but I think this part is spot on. The question in my mind is whether or not we should view this finding as a bad thing. If the wealthy are subscribing to ideas of rugged individualism and unbridled opportunity, does this mean they are harming others for the sake of their own advancement, or are they simply the last adherents to the "American dream" while the less well off have veered towards an attitude that is more community focused but also in direct opposition to classical American thought?

Based on discussions on these forums, it seems like there is a connection between people thinking the American dream is dead and being in favor of policies that favor groups over individuals. Have we outlived the usefulness of th American dream, or is the problem that some people have moved away from it, while other are holding fast to these traditional ideals and actually achieving them, while the rest of society isn't even throwing their hat in the ring?

I think framing the "American Dream" in terms of individualism versus collectivism demonstrates quite a bit about your own presumptions.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Craw!Craw! Registered User regular
    [...]And it's both telling and damning that the period of greatest economic growth for the US coincided with strong feelings of collective unity, whereas periods where individualism was celebrated are marked by weak economic growth.

Correlation does not equal causation. I don't think the point you are trying to prove is necessarily mistaken, but the way you're trying to prove it here is.

@Thejakeman: There has been a lot of research done previously that shows that members of relatively collectivistic societies as compared to those of individualistic societies (eg US/Japan, though the latter is growing less collectivistic) choose objects according to those patterns, on a group level. Of course, there aren't a lot of folks who go "oh my GOD I gotta conform here" - everyone is influenced by a multitude of factors stemming from personal history and biological development and our choices, which are formed to a large degree on a subconscious level, are too. But when two groups differ mainly in regards to only one of these factors, you get a group difference. And to make sure that there's not some other factor they differ in that's creating the pattern you do the experiment all over again with members of another couple of collectivist/individualist societies. What I'm saying is, there is some background to this, showing that the experiment really does seem to have some value when trying to figure out differences in collectivism/individualism. Of course, it's not perfect, few things in Psychology research are, and so many other methods to analyze this should be used to see if the results are consistent or not, and if they aren't, you have to start looking at other explanations. But yeah, when researchers/journalists do this jump from one study pointing somewhat in one direction to "CONFIRMED, RICH PEOPLE DON'T CARE" it can turn into a problem. In this case though, the context shows that the study is only one part of a large body of research and the article was well-written IMO, so I for one can forgive the article writer for her imprecision.

• Options
    I am of the opinion that methodology shouldn't be discussed with journalists, as it inevitably ends up in the article but without the background to support it or explain why it's conducive to the conclusion being drawn from it.

Again, I don't disagree with the premise, I just disagree with science trying to graft itself into inherently subjective recording of subjective opinions from people with a diverse set of worldviews by devising tests to demonstrate a conclusion that is not itself apparent in the data (motivations). While scoffed at by the scientific community because of the inherent subjectivity and very loose data, collecting anecdotes and performing embedded ethnographic research is a much more tenable way of demonstrating an internal mindset.

Some have accused me of being a post-modernist, though. *shruuuug*

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular

The American Dream is about upward social mobility, not individualism. And it is the current trend of sociopathic libertarianism among the ultra-wealthy that is in opposition to classical American thought.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    @Thejakeman: But the point in these kinds of experiments is to get at the actual behaviors that people carry out. Finding out about the "mindset" of people and what they say themselves about their attitudes is important, but what people say and what they actually do don't always go together very well. Performing embedded research means that you can directly observe behaviors, sure, but there are behaviors and choices to make that seldom turn up in one or even a smaller group of individuals' lives but are very important when they do (eg deciding to fire employees or not during a crisis), and so it's hard to get much data on that. People are generally very bad at retrospection and sometimes totally misremember their own actions - often with a positive bias, of course - so anecdotes are pretty problematic too. I'm not saying that either of these methods should be avoided, they are both valuable in their own rights, but I don't think they can easily cover all that falls under the experiment umbrella that the studies described in the article pertain to.

Edit: Also, the experimental method allows, to some extent, for investigating what COULD be instead of just the current situation. It's hard when it comes to social psychology because even if you find, in experimental settings, consistent findings showing that people who are made to be poor for a while and THEN become wealthy are more caring for others than those who are wealthy from the start, you can't be sure that is how it will play out in reality. But, combined with other research, not leastly social statistics, you can get some potentially valuable pointers.

Craw! on
  • Options
    Except you're creating an artificial behavior without investigating the cause of said behavior. The only way you can determine cause is by handing out a questionnaire saying "why did you just do that," which amounts to collecting anecdotal data. Otherwise you're stuck arguing the connection between choosing a certain pen type and a socioeconomic class. Certainly, you can control for as much as you want (gender, race, geographic location) and repeat the test a few dozen times with 95% positives and even then it would still be a stretch extrapolating that sort of conclusion from that sort of data. The variables involved in decision making are far too numerous to simply isolate experimentally.

And this is entirely about finding out the mindset and how it relates to what they do, by the way. That's what the article was about, the mindset of the wealthy as opposed to that of the poor. That's what the experiment was about, extrapolating the mindset from the behaviors it causes. So your second sentence doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Oh, sorry, I kinda misread your first post. You could argue that since the experiment has been conducted previously with groups who themselves say they are more collectivist/individualistic, and have been found to act accordingly in "real life", that when a group performs more like the aforementioned collectivistic group, that would indicate that that group is also collectivistic. Does that make sense? I guess I see now how that is kind of a backwards way to figure out what kind of mindset people have, at least if you think of it (as I was) as made up of only conscious parts. But there are plenty of good examples of experiments that have shown a racist bias in groups of people who themselves say that they are not biased toward other race groups and have also shown how that bias is likely to affect critical situations(eg whether police shoot a dude with a black passport in his hand or not). So my point that you can get some clues to the subconscious and/or not openly admitted attitudes part of people's "mindset" and the effects of that still stands, I think.

Edit: Oh! I forgot something! The writer makes a huge mistake when she says that wealth is the sole reason for the richer classes' higher levels of cognitive function, it's the correlation does not equal causation thing again. There's quite a lot of research that indicates that people with higher social economic status have relatively more advantageous genetic makeup when it comes to cognitive function, actually. I think the differences have been exaggerated by many researchers (mostly due to ignorance in regards to effects of diet, etc. and bias stemming from political motivations) but still, to say that the difference in cognitive function is wholly caused by more wealth instead of the relationship being high cognitive function leading to more wealth is frankly incorrect and a huge blunder. In reality, of course, there is a bidirectional interaction.

Craw! on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Upward social mobility what?

Not a comfortably wealthy income and a single-family home?

I don't think "the American Dream" includes an overpriced apartment and an invitation to the correct parties.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    When I think of the American dream, I think of people having the opportunity to make it on their own and succeed through hard work. I don't really see how collective action fits in there, but I also would not say that the American dream (or anything in the article) indicates a desire to crush the prols. . .

I read:
    “Parents in working-class contexts are relatively more likely to stress to their children that ‘It’s not just about you’ and to emphasize that although it is important to be strong and to stand up for oneself, it is also essential to be aware of the needs of others and to adhere to socially accepted rules and standards for behavior,” wrote a team led by Nicole Stephens, with Stanford University psychologist Hazel Markus, in 2007 in Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. Parents with higher incomes “more often tell their children that ‘It’s your world’ and emphasize the value of promoting oneself and developing one’s own interests.” The cries of “Go get ’em!” you hear in the playgrounds and on the baseball diamonds of America’s best neighborhoods reflect not just concern for children’s self-esteem but a worldview that emphasizes looking out for No. 1.

This is Markus’s main research interest: the mind-sets of class. She and her colleagues have found, broadly speaking, that the affluent value individuality—uniqueness, differentiation, achievement—whereas people lower down on the ladder tend to stress homogeneity, harmonious interpersonal relationships, and group affiliation.

And to me it seems pretty clear that the high income group is the only one pushing the idea of making it on your own and the world being your oyster. The Rockefellers, Carnegies, and Gateses of the world clearly had the "upper class" mindset, and these are also the types of people I think of as having achieved the American dream.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    @Spool32: First http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_dream

Second, upward social mobility doesn't necessarily mean that being at the top is the only thing that should be called success, just that there is a chance that you can take if you have the necessary skills to go up, maybe only to the middle, but up nonetheless.

@SKFM: [..."all men are created equal" and.. they are "endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable Rights" including "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."[2] ] That kind of implies that you should have a high level of respect for others and not step on their rights, which so very often happens today in the name of individualism. Moreover, the high income group is NOT the only place where you find people "pushing for making it on your own", just no. Did you miss Eminem? All the prominent black athletes from the slums? Steve Jobs? I don't even know what you're saying.

Craw! on
  • Options
    Can you give some examples of the rights being stepped on so very often in the name of individualism?

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Craw! wrote: »
    @Spool32: First http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_dream

Second, upward social mobility doesn't necessarily mean that being at the top is the only thing that should be called success, just that there is a chance that you can take if you have the necessary skills to go up, maybe only to the middle, but up nonetheless.

@SKFM: [..."all men are created equal" and.. they are "endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable Rights" including "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."[2] ] That kind of implies that you should have a high level of respect for others and not step on their rights, which so very often happens today in the name of individualism. Moreover, the high income group is NOT the only place where you find people "pushing for making it on your own", just no. Did you miss Eminem? All the prominent black athletes from the slums? Steve Jobs? I don't even know what you're saying.

I agree that those are all examples of people pursuing the American dream. I am saying that the article seems to indicate that the mindset of "you can do anything" which I see as central to the idea of making it on your own and achieving success based on your own determination and hard work is more widespread in the upper classes. "Everyone should do well together and help each other out" is hardly what I think of when I think of the American dream of American thought (if anything, that is the kind of thinking that we vilified for years during the cold war).

• Options
    edited July 2012
    spool32 wrote: »
    Can you give some examples of the rights being stepped on so very often in the name of individualism?

"In the name of" was putting it poorly since few would explicitly say they do something because they believe in individualism, but what I mean is for example when a highly-educated, rich high-up who was born into a wealthy family abuses law loopholes so that she can fire her workers at anytime and does so without a second thought as long as it benefits her, because it is in her best interests. You might say she doesn't really violate their rights because she didn't actually break the law, but IMO that is more of a technicality - if the laws were intended to grant the workers rights related to work safety, she is violating them.

Edit: And my point is, of course, that individualism(as a growing proportion of rich Americans envisages it, I think) makes this kind of behavior more acceptable, at least among the rich.

@SKFM: Well sure, those tendencies exist, it's right there in the article, I just reacted to how you said the rich were the ONLY ones to say "you can do it, on your own!". Compared to how people parent in Sweden I think even the poorest Americans are cramming the whole "you are the best and most beautiful in the wooorld!" shtick down their kids' throats. But if the American dream is about [having the opportunity to] moving up the ladder, who says you have to do it on your own? Why can't you become part of a basketball team that makes it big, or work really hard with your colleagues to improve the school you work at to make things better for the people you care about and yourself? Why would co-operation run counter to the American dream? Many of the "greats" we've mentioned in this thread have had some kinds of partners that they cared about. Besides, traditional American society has always placed great emphasis on the core family - within that small group, "Everyone should do well together and help each other out" is upheld as important, even among most of the very rich.

Craw! on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    When I think of the American dream, I think of people having the opportunity to make it on their own and succeed through hard work. I don't really see how collective action fits in there, but I also would not say that the American dream (or anything in the article) indicates a desire to crush the prols. . .

I read:
    “Parents in working-class contexts are relatively more likely to stress to their children that ‘It’s not just about you’ and to emphasize that although it is important to be strong and to stand up for oneself, it is also essential to be aware of the needs of others and to adhere to socially accepted rules and standards for behavior,” wrote a team led by Nicole Stephens, with Stanford University psychologist Hazel Markus, in 2007 in Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. Parents with higher incomes “more often tell their children that ‘It’s your world’ and emphasize the value of promoting oneself and developing one’s own interests.” The cries of “Go get ’em!” you hear in the playgrounds and on the baseball diamonds of America’s best neighborhoods reflect not just concern for children’s self-esteem but a worldview that emphasizes looking out for No. 1.

This is Markus’s main research interest: the mind-sets of class. She and her colleagues have found, broadly speaking, that the affluent value individuality—uniqueness, differentiation, achievement—whereas people lower down on the ladder tend to stress homogeneity, harmonious interpersonal relationships, and group affiliation.

And to me it seems pretty clear that the high income group is the only one pushing the idea of making it on your own and the world being your oyster. The Rockefellers, Carnegies, and Gateses of the world clearly had the "upper class" mindset, and these are also the types of people I think of as having achieved the American dream.
    There is a reason that the Rockefellers and the Carnegies were known as "robber barons." They made their money by standing on the bodies of the people they killed to get there. Their behavior was appalling, and if that represents "The American Dream" to you, it certainly explains a lot about how people involved with corporate finance typically think.

And to claim that Bill Gates is a result purely of his mindset is patently ridiculous. His dad is a multimillionaire lawyer, and the only reason Bill Gates Jr. was even exposed to computers as a youth was his super-expensive private school. Bill Gates didn't achieve the American dream; his father did, and only with the help of the government (he went to UW on the GI Bill). Also worth mentioning: the Gates (both Junior and Senior) are huge advocates of collectivism. Sr. co-wrote a book about how awesome the Estate Tax is, and funded a referendum in Washington to try to put an income tax on the wealthy.

• Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    I always thought the American Dream™ was that everyone got to choose their own dream. Maybe Eddie Izzard was right after all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwTDL25N4xg

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Can we just close this topic now? Do we need another 20 pages dissecting SKFM's views while he cowers in his mansion, hands over his ears going "lalalalalalalalalalalalalal"?

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    He's not being like that at all.

I for one think that societies get what they deserve - if social mobility is stifled for too long the poor rise up and lynch some rich people. Governments destroy themselves, and if market logic is allowed to reign for too long the ranks of the losers will soon become so large they destroy it.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    But, Absalon, the USA has arguably been abusing other societies all the world even though they in many cases didn't "deserve" it at all, and they couldn't do shit because USA had all the guns and informations technology while they had pretty much nothing. Besides, I think social mobility in the US has been stifled for way, way too damn long already, like how about that GDP/capita:poverty ratio, that's been about the worst in the whole West world for more than half a century by now. Things don't always fix themselves - we are sometimes horrifyingly prone to miss that something is broken alltogether.

Craw! on
  • Options
    edited July 2012

Uh duh? Those who aren't from wealthy backgrounds are saying the 'world isn't your oyster', because for their kids it isn't. Thanks to a systemic dismantling of mechanisms that used to mean everyone had a chance, if your parents don't bankroll you you're not going to be able to do whatever you want in life.

Dis' on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I can't understand how it's possible to succeed individually without some substantial collective action.

Even the dude building a house on a deserted island probably isn't individually inventing all carpentry technique.

And I'm not even interested in living on a deserted island! I want to be relevant to society at large! That's pretty tough without a large society.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    And to me it seems pretty clear that the high income group is the only one pushing the idea of making it on your own and the world being your oyster.

You can only manifest that attitude if you're born with assets.

When you aren't, people will accuse you of having a sense of entitlement.

When I think of the American dream, I think of people having the opportunity to make it on their own and succeed through hard work. I don't really see how collective action fits in there

There seems to be this pervasive modern notion that hard work is necessarily individualist; that socialists and communists and other community-oriented -ists are such because they want to parasitically ride on somebody else's labor. Of course, this idea is based on ignorance and is counter to common sense. Ignorance because it ignores the roots of socialism and communism in the labor movements of the late 19th century and early 20th century; these labor movements were all about collective action and solidarity. Common sense because humans rarely achieve anything without the help of others - the whole reason that (as one dramatic example) the Amish value physical labor so much is because they know the sense of community it can foster. The idea that you can achieve success without cooperation is one of the most poisonous Libertarian lies, IMO.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    There's a reason Teddy Roosevelt called the super rich the "wealthy criminal class" back in the 1880s. They created an environment where only they could succeed on the backs of the regular joes (the middle class' grandparents).

Then the progressive movement happened and thanks to labor reforms and two world wars that left us the strongest intact economy and industry we had a strong middle class for a couple decades. But now there is a new wave of that spirit of Fuck the Poor creeping up.

You didn't build your business on your own, if you didn't have people helping you or a country supporting you or a customer base you wouldn't be able to build a business.

The American dream is for everyone to have an equal chance to make bank, not that everyone will or that we should take money away from people like Romney and SKFM and give it to people like me (aside from a fair and progressive tax structure that will foster a stronger nation with good infrastructure, education, and defense capabilities). There should be a baseline of needs that are met so we don't have people dying in the streets and going into bankruptcy because they got sick. There should be a fair and honest criminal justice system that addresses the actual problems in our society and meters out equal protection under the law. Any kid should be able to graduate high school and have the tools they need to choose further education or entering the workforce.

And yes, there should be the capability to fail. We wouldn't have WD-40 without WD 1-39.

Opportunity. That is what's missing. And it's because people use the myth of Lonely Islands to dismantle the programs and ideas that made the middle class possible.

Opportunity: that's the American dream.

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    There's a reason Teddy Roosevelt called the super rich the "wealthy criminal class" back in the 1880s. They created an environment where only they could succeed on the backs of the regular joes (the middle class' grandparents).

Then the progressive movement happened and thanks to labor reforms and two world wars that left us the strongest intact economy and industry we had a strong middle class for a couple decades. But now there is a new wave of that spirit of Fuck the Poor creeping up.

You didn't build your business on your own, if you didn't have people helping you or a country supporting you or a customer base you wouldn't be able to build a business.

The American dream is for everyone to have an equal chance to make bank, not that everyone will or that we should take money away from people like Romney and SKFM and give it to people like me (aside from a fair and progressive tax structure that will foster a stronger nation with good infrastructure, education, and defense capabilities). There should be a baseline of needs that are met so we don't have people dying in the streets and going into bankruptcy because they got sick. There should be a fair and honest criminal justice system that addresses the actual problems in our society and meters out equal protection under the law. Any kid should be able to graduate high school and have the tools they need to choose further education or entering the workforce.

And yes, there should be the capability to fail. We wouldn't have WD-40 without WD 1-39.

Opportunity. That is what's missing. And it's because people use the myth of Lonely Islands to dismantle the programs and ideas that made the middle class possible.

Yet again, you post something that is even more entertaining when imagined in Toby Ziegler's voice.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

Yet again, you post something that is even more entertaining when imagined in Toby Ziegler's voice.

I think the avatar in influencing my writing style a little bit.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    There's an other thing that's interesting too, the article writer and some of the researchers say that rich people are "really private when in private" and "all business", that they prefer to work alone and are bad at interpreting facial expressions and some other social cues and so on and so on... Basically they are saying that there's a high degree of autistic/Asperger traits among the rich and again, they don't stop to consider that genetic differences might be at work. A tendency to engage in less social interaction and prefer delving into solitary activity is actually often really good for, well, getting really good at something - including many things that you earn money with. So how about that, they might be overestimating the effects of wealth - what they are looking at most likely has some roots in group differences at a much more basic level.

Craw! on
  • Options
    LolkenLolken Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Historically, Lochner v. New York and Plessy v. Ferguson.

• Options
    Lolken wrote: »

Historically, Lochner v. New York and Plessy v. Ferguson.

Or heck, slavery itself. The emancipation of slaves would tread, according to some secessionists and pre-secessionists intellectuals, over private property, which was the most sacred right of all. Basic XIXth-century economical liberalism thinking.

• Options
    Slavery is an example of people acting in the name of individualism?

I see it as exactly the opposite... A failure of collectivist thinking where an entire society draws together to protect an institution because it affirms their social standing as a group, defending it even to the point of harming themselves.

• Options

I see it as exactly the opposite... A failure of collectivist thinking where an entire society draws together to protect an institution because it affirms their social standing as a group, defending it even to the point of harming themselves.

Ok, whatever. What's your excuse for Lochner?

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular

Well, I'm not sure it's that either, because it's not the entire society. The slaves are part of the society too.

It's really about othering and an overemphasis on the rights of the wealthy. I don't think individualism or collectivism is relevant to it.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options

Hahah. That seems not very much about individualism either, unless you grant that labor rights are inherently collectivist. I'm not willing to just grant that, so you'll need to explain why it is.

• Options

Hahah. That seems not very much about individualism either, unless you grant that labor rights are inherently collectivist. I'm not willing to just grant that, so you'll need to explain why it is.

From the Lochner decision:

There is no reasonable ground, on the score of health, for interfering with the liberty of the person or the right of free contract, by determining the hours of labor, in the occupation of a baker. Nor can a law limiting such hours be justified a a health law to safeguard the public health, or the health of the individuals following that occupation.

• Options
    Heh, ok that sounds like individualism over collective rights.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Wait, the Confederacy was about the failure of collectivism against the rugged individualism of the north?

Someone better tell all those confederate apologists in the tea party, especially Ron Paul...

And history books...

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png