As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LGBTT: It's Raining DOMA Rulings! (It's for Thread)

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Girl says that just because you don't like someone's life style doesn't mean you should hate them.

Supporters of gay marriage tell her to fuck off.

Bravo, people.

Just like how all of those people who don't support same sex marriage tell us they aren't homophobic, and they don't hate gay people at all, that they love us as people, we just shouldn't have the same rights?

Just like those people? Alright.

Where does she say she doesn't support gay marriage?

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Girl says that just because you don't like someone's life style doesn't mean you should hate them.

Bravo, people.

I take issue with the way it legitimizes bigotry while arguing for tolerance.

Sure, people are going to be bigots, but it's a shitty thing to say as a measure of support for the LGBT community that you are okay with people being bigots as long as they're passive about it.

Also, the statement admits her own bigotry, and would argue that she thinks her bigotry is tolerable because she tolerates the existence of LGBT people.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

Bravo, people.

Just like how all of those people who don't support same sex marriage tell us they aren't homophobic, and they don't hate gay people at all, that they love us as people, we just shouldn't have the same rights?

Where does she say that she does?

• Options

It actually doesn't conclusively say anything at all on the matter, one way or the other. Which isn't helpful, honestly, considering the whole dustup right now is explicitly over gay marriage.

But it does tacitly condone bigotry. And that's not the kind of support anyone needs.

• Options

Bravo, people.

Sure, people are going to be bigots, but it's a shitty thing to say as a measure of support for the LGBT community that you are okay with people being bigots as long as they're passive about it.

Also, the statement admits her own bigotry, and would argue that she thinks her bigotry is tolerable because she tolerates the existence of LGBT people.

Ah yes. The bigotry of advocating loving people and not hating them.

That horrible woman. How dare she?

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    So, she doesn't understand why equal rights are important and that support, not sympathy are needed.

Instead of trying to convince her through healthy discourse and reasonable arguement, we tell her to fuck off.

Sounds like a winning strategy.

Maybe she's young and is simply going off of what she was taught in church and by her parents. But, she's starting to think for herself and is questioning her beliefs. She makes a statement that leans towards the beginning of understanding and support. We tell her to fuck off and that reenforces her convictions and now, instead of a supporter, you have another opponent.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options

Bravo, people.

Where does she say that she does?

All statements about accepting and loving people mus now include explicit and clear support for your preferred cause?

I thought you didn't want to be a charity case.

• Options

Bravo, people.

She advocates loving people while judging them to be horrible abominations to the Lord.

That's not the love that anyone needs. Ever.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Also seems like some people are offended by my "fuck off" but it is precisely that sentiment.

If you still think being gay is wrong, you have a ways to go and your support isn't going to be genuine.

That matters because this is a social issue. "Just get gay marriage passed" isn't the only goal, people shouldn't settle on some law changes, we are supposed to be going for equality.

We need to accomplish more. IMO the most vile views and actions come from a total lack of understanding, and toleration is not understanding.

If people still think being gay is wrong, we still have work to do.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options

It actually doesn't conclusively say anything at all on the matter, one way or the other. Which isn't helpful, honestly, considering the whole dustup right now is explicitly over gay marriage.

But it does tacitly condone bigotry. And that's not the kind of support anyone needs.

It actually says people should not hate others and indeed love them.

Which warrants a giant fuck you that still isn't being explained.

• Options

Bravo, people.

She advocates loving people while judging them to be horrible abominations to the Lord.

I don't see the word abomination anywhere in those two sentences.

• Options
    So, she doesn't understand why equal rights are important and that support, not sympathy are needed.

Instead of trying to convince her through healthy discourse and reasonable arguement, we tell her to fuck off.

Sounds like a winning strategy.

Maybe she's young and is simply going off of what she was taught in church and by her parents. But, she's starting to think for herself and is questioning her beliefs. She makes a statement that leans towards the beginning of understanding and support. We tell her to fuck off and that reenforces her convictions and now, instead of a supporter, you have another opponent.

She did grow up in fairly religious household. But she's also been a stage actress for over 15 years, and she's lived in NYC since 2000.

If her convictions haven't whittled by now, I doubt they ever will.

• Options
    edited April 2013

Bravo, people.

Do you really need to?

She argues that "convictions" don't have to change to tolerate gay people. What convictions could we be talking about?

Because here's the verse in Lev 18:22
    "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination."

Atomika on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »
    Also seems like some people are offended by my "fuck off" but it is precisely that sentiment.

If you still think being gay is wrong, you have a ways to go and your support isn't going to be genuine.

That matters because this is a social issue. "Just get gay marriage passed" isn't the only goal, people shouldn't settle on some law changes, we are supposed to be going for equality.

We need to accomplish more. IMO the most vile views and actions come from a total lack of understanding, and toleration is not understanding.

It matters, because I used to be this way.

I was taught being gay was wrong, when growing up. I didn't hate people because I wanted to, it was reinforced into me by my parents and church.

One day, I started to question what I was taught as a child and I began to have opinions of my own and reach out to learn about the other side.

You know what I found? A group of people, some of them here, that taught me that I shouldn't judge based on preconcieved notions. I learned that what I was taught was wrong and that everyone deserves to be treated as equals and that rights are things people fight for.

What I didn't find was people telling me to fuck off.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    She also doesn't mention gay anything at all.

If we can't talk about what we think she is trying to say and just look at the literal words then it is off topic.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Quid man, what can I tell you. That is the same kind of line that you hear from the Family Research Council and any Anti-Gay Republican who is pressed on the issue.
    The second is that to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do. Both are nonsense. You don’t have to compromise convictions to be compassionate

I grew up in an extremely religious household, so forgive my natural bias. But I heard this shit my whole life and it is tantamount to hate the sin, love the sinner. To me, this doesn't come off as someone who supports same sex marriage or gay rights, this comes off as the same line I've heard all my life about how you can love someone, while still thinking they're wrong.

If there was any hint that she'd thought otherwise, it'd be a different story. But I don't know her and all I'm going off of is this one quote we were presented with that I have heard time and time again my whole life from people who think I will burn in hell for all eternity.

So, pardon my skepticism.

• Options

Bravo, people.

Do you really need to?

She argues that "convictions" don't have to change to tolerate gay people. What convictions could we be talking about?

Yes? Cause otherwise you're being an awful fucking human being for no reason.

• Options

It matters, because I used to be this way.

I was taught being gay was wrong, when growing up. I didn't hate people because I wanted to, it was reinforced into me by my parents and church.

One day, I started to question what I was taught as a child and I began to have opinions of my own and reach out to learn about the other side.

You know what I found? A group of people, some of them here, that taught me that I shouldn't judge based on preconcieved notions. I learned that what I was taught was wrong and that everyone deserves to be treated as equals and that rights are things people fight for.

What I didn't find was people telling me to fuck off.

People are acting like I dialed her up, see the explanation of what it really means.

Also, I think some people have a different context for a flippant "fuck off" than usage around here.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options

Bravo, people.

Do you really need to?

Quid, I think it's reasonable to assume her religious convictions are coming from the only part in the Bible that delineate the bounds of that conviction without her outright listing out bulletpoints.

• Options
    Quid man, what can I tell you. That is the same kind of line that you hear from the Family Research Council and any Anti-Gay Republican who is pressed on the issue.
    The second is that to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do. Both are nonsense. You don’t have to compromise convictions to be compassionate

I grew up in an extremely religious household, so forgive my natural bias. But I heard this shit my whole life and it is tantamount to hate the sin, love the sinner. To me, this doesn't come off as someone who supports same sex marriage or gay rights, this comes off as the same line I've heard all my life about how you can love someone, while still thinking they're wrong.

If there was any hint that she'd thought otherwise, it'd be a different story. But I don't know her and all I'm going off of is this one quote we were presented with that I have heard time and time again my whole life from people who think I will burn in hell for all eternity.

So, pardon my skepticism.

You're over reacting.

Period.

Girl says people should love others and not hate them. Yet because she isn't waving a rainbow flag while shouting for gay marriage, you've now assumed she's against gay marriage without a single shred of evidence.

There is literally nothing in that statement against gay marriage. There is only an argument that other people shouldn't be assholes to gay people. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Options

Bravo, people.

Do you really need to?

Quid, I think it's reasonable to assume her religious convictions are coming from the only part in the Bible that delineate the bounds of that conviction without her outright listing out bulletpoints.

Yet you fail to actually prove this in any meaningful manner.

Someone says people shouldn't hate gay people.

You claim they hate gay people.

Your reasoning is shit.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    There is only an argument that other people shouldn't be assholes to gay people. Nothing more, nothing less.

This is incomplete.

She does argue for tolerance, I think we can agree. Then she goes on to condone passive homophobia and judgment.

That's a mixed message at best, especially since she doesn't clearly take a stance on any particular facet of the LGBT debate.

Atomika on
  • Options
    And that is what she is being called out on? Her words.

She doesn't hate, she just disagrees with a lifestyle.

Wait, what? What does it mean to "agree with anothers lifestyle" exactly?

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited April 2013

You're over reacting.

Period.

Probably.

Viskod on
  • Options
    There is only an argument that other people shouldn't be assholes to gay people. Nothing more, nothing less.

This is incomplete.

She does argue for tolerance, I think we can agree. Then she goes on to condone passive homophobia and judgment.

What homophobia does she condone? The kind that involves loving someone and not fearing and hating them?

My God.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    And that is what she is being called out on? Her words.

She doesn't hate, she just disagrees with a lifestyle.

Wait, what? What does it mean to "agree with anothers lifestyle" exactly?

Take it up with every religion ever.

Edit: Actually not even religion. Take it up with every personal philosophy ever.

Quid on
  • Options

Bravo, people.

Do you really need to?

Yet you fail to actually prove this in any meaningful manner.

Someone says people shouldn't hate gay people.

You claim they hate gay people.

Your reasoning is shit.

First of all, what's up, pal? Why so mad?

Second of all: Someone arguing that "convictions" shouldn't preclude them from tolerance is still a tacit endorsement and legitimization of passive homophobia, as well as continuing to pass negative judgment.

Those "convictions," in a religious context, are found explicitly in Leviticus where gays are called "abominations."

Ergo, "conviction" in this context can reasonably be inferred to mean "belief in the unholiness of homosexuality."

My reasoning ain't so shit, I hope.

• Options
    What homophobia does she condone? The kind that involves loving someone and not fearing and hating them?

The kind of homophobia that still judges gays to be abominations and less-thans.

The kind of homophobia that argues, "I think you should have rights, but I also think you're an affront to God."

Given that her statement was intended as a measure of support to the LGBT community, it's just not that helpful or supportive.

• Options
    Cause frankly you're just making shit up to get a solid hate going for no real reason. Much like the rest of your post. Peddle your reactionism to someone else. I'm not interested.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Well Ross, if the sentiment actually was "I don't personally think the same way you do, but you totally deserve the exact same rights that I have as a citizen of our country." There's not really anything wrong with that. The phrasing of the quote with the term compassion just kind of set me off because that's the same kind of BS line that's thrown out by people who are more often than not anti-gay as an excuse to be so.

Quid is saying the thought expressed in and of itself with no additional context is fine, and in that way it probably is. But I am very much used to their being an implied context of an excuse for bigotry. So I assumed that it was so.

Viskod on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular

This is incomplete.

My God.

The kind of homophobia the Catholic Church preaches, where much is claimed about loving gay people, but they'll fight tooth and nail against every legal protection awarded to gays, including shutting down an adoption agency rather than place children with gay couples or pay taxes. That kind of homophobia, that in fact involves nearly as much hatred and fear as you hear from a frothing evangelical preacher, but without the strength of character to admit it.

• Options
    Cause frankly you're just making shit up to get a solid hate going for no real reason. Much like the rest of your post. Peddle your reactionism to someone else. I'm not interested.

Plenty are.

And it's not reactionism. I think it's a valid point of discussion. Like I argued earlier, no one would accept that kind of language if we were talking about the rights of minorities or women. We wouldn't tolerate views that said, "Hey, I may believe that a woman's place is in the kitchen, but I don't support hitting women to prove my dominance." We wouldn't tolerate views that said, "Hey, I don't know why Blacks are in such an uproar. We let them vote, why do they need to use our lunch counters?"

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Queer people are a minority >.>

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Perhaps, rather than speculate on what this person means, you could ask her for a clarification on her beliefs Ross? That might help us to understand her position and thus judge her accurately. It is possible she may have not been entirely clear with her statement.

• Options
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Queer people are a minority >.>

I know, I know. You know what I mean, though.

Melanin-endowed individuals.

• Options
    I am offended by her statement because of the way it is phrased. It does matter, to me anyway.

"People should be allowed to intermarry with the lesser races."
    "... thanks?"

You can tolerate and allow something, but separate of that people are going to see your actual views and biases in your phrasing.

See?

Not condoning bigotry is entirely what the fight over the word marriage is about.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Maybe it is because her statement isn't about being a straight ally at all but allowing us concessions?

Oh gee, that's great!

Being tolerated isn't what it is all about. It is about equality, going "it should be allowed but you are still wrong as a human being" isn't useful.

Fuck off. She isn't showing support.

In a pluralistic society it is all about tolerance and equality but equality doesn't mean that they think you're totally right.

The statement isn't a statement of support for the gay community. It's a statement in support of a society where religion starts acting like less of an asshole and more of a proper member of a plural society. While the second one isn't the dream it is way better than what we currently have. It is also probably the best case in which we respect a right to religion.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Maybe it is because her statement isn't about being a straight ally at all but allowing us concessions?

Oh gee, that's great!

Being tolerated isn't what it is all about. It is about equality, going "it should be allowed but you are still wrong as a human being" isn't useful.

Fuck off. She isn't showing support.

In a pluralistic society it is all about tolerance and equality but equality doesn't mean that they think you're totally right.

The statement isn't a statement of support for the gay community. It's a statement in support of a society where religion starts acting like less of an asshole and more of a proper member of a plural society. While the second one isn't the dream it is way better than what we currently have. It is also probably the best case in which we respect a right to religion.

As others have mentioned there are better ways to state and advocate tolerance.

It is not surprising the reaction she is getting, it is like someone getting pissed at a backhanded compliment.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Roz wrote: »
    Perhaps, rather than speculate on what this person means, you could ask her for a clarification on her beliefs Ross? That might help us to understand her position and thus judge her accurately. It is possible she may have not been entirely clear with her statement.

I know her beliefs. She's said the "hate the sin, love the sinner" line to me before w/r/t the LGBT community.

• Options
    Roz wrote: »

I know her beliefs. She's said the "hate the sin, love the sinner" line to me before w/r/t the LGBT community.

That's exactly what I was afraid of.