As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LGBTT: It's Raining DOMA Rulings! (It's for Thread)

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    Except at no point did she call them lesser people.

Not approving of a person doing X thing does not mean you think they're horrific abominations who must be stoned. People are attributing a shit ton more hyperbole to a statement than it has. Which is pretty much none. Unless anyone in here thinks anyone who does something they personally don't approve of is subhuman garbage.

She is essentially saying "Yall gon burn in hell, but that's okay"

Or she's saying nothing

In no case is what she's saying supportive

Only in this thread could "Don't hate gay people" be considered not supportive.

when it's appended with "even though they do those terrible things gay people do" it isn't

Quote where she said they do terrible things. I can wait.
    “Our culture has accepted two huge lies. The first is that if you disagree with someone’s lifestyle, you must fear or hate them. The second is that to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do. Both are nonsense. You don’t have to compromise convictions to be compassionate.”

right here

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

Stop_being_obtuse_copy.png

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I mean can anyone quote where she said she believes they are either abominations or should burn in Hell?

And no, saying "Love them even you don't personally don't approve of their lifestyle" is not saying that. Lots of people do lots of things plenty of people here personally don't approve of.

• Options
    I mean can anyone quote where she said she believes they are either abominations or should burn in Hell?

And no, saying "Love them even you don't personally don't approve of their lifestyle" is not saying that. Lots of people do lots of things plenty of people here personally don't approve of.

It's ok Quid

You haven't been trained to hear the whistle

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options

Not approving of a person doing X thing does not mean you think they're horrific abominations who must be stoned. People are attributing a shit ton more hyperbole to a statement than it has. Which is pretty much none. Unless anyone in here thinks anyone who does something they personally don't approve of is subhuman garbage.

Or she's saying nothing

when it's appended with "even though they do those terrible things gay people do" it isn't

“Our culture has accepted two huge lies. The first is that if you disagree with someone’s lifestyle, you must fear or hate them. The second is that to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do. Both are nonsense. You don’t have to compromise convictions to be compassionate.”

right here

So you can't.

• Options

If convictions against LGBT are based in Judeo-Christian values, the only instructive part of the Bible with regard to those issues is Lev 18:22, which states, and I quote, ". . . it is an abomination unto the Lord."

It's pretty cut and dried.

• Options

Or she's saying nothing

right here

So you can't.

I just did

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    I just did

No you really didn't. You made some baseless assumptions.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    I just did

Edit: Actually no. Not entirely baseless. It's entirely [i[possible[/i] she could mean that. It's just that you've completely failed to show any reasonable way that she did.

Quid on
  • Options
    I just did

Don't make us show you what the definition of "baseless" is. Please, friend. I like you.

• Options

If convictions against LGBT are based in Judeo-Christian values, the only instructive part of the Bible with regard to those issues is Lev 18:22, which states, and I quote, ". . . it is an abomination unto the Lord."

Or the even less amicable early church doctrine

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    She disagrees with the core of my being. She has convictions about it.

Whatever else is going on, I do not feel that her views are approaching supportive.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Quid is also confused about why it's racist to stockpile guns in order to defend yourself from the Urban Thugs

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

So as you're a self described Catholic I can only assume that you agree wholesale with the bible too then, right?

Quid on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

The thing with disapproval for religious reasons is they start to go really dark places quick. Even if she thinks gay people don't deserve to go to hell for their sins, she's implying that they don't deserve equal rights as citizens which is still a shitty opinion to have.

• Options
    I just did

Edit: Actually no. Not entirely baseless. It's entirely [i[possible[/i] she could mean that. It's just that you've completely failed to show any reasonable way that she did.

I'll also make sure not to make any baseless assumptions about nice people talking about how the neighborhood has been a bit run down and how it would be nice if certain people didn't drive around out here or show up in the park

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

So as you're a self described Catholic I can only assume that you agree wholesale with the bible to then, right?

Quid, I don't think this is productive. I do think it is terribly unfair to Elldren, though.

• Options

So as you're a self described Catholic I can only assume that you agree wholesale with the bible too then, right?

fuck no

I'm a terrible Catholic

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Shivahn wrote: »
    She disagrees with the core of my being. She has convictions about it.

Whatever else is going on, I do not feel that her views are approaching supportive.

Which conviction? The conviction that her jacked up God may or may not ascribe homosexuals as sinners which may or may not mean anything depending on which church she's goes to and which she says people should ignore anyway?

Truly she is Falwell reborn.

• Options

The thing with disapproval for religious reasons is they start to go really dark places quick. Even if she thinks gay people don't deserve to go to hell for their sins, she's implying that they don't deserve equal rights as citizens which is still a shitty opinion to have.

No she really isn't. If she said people should instead use the law to achieve their beliefs she would be implying that. Law never even entered in to what she said.

• Options
    I just did

I'll also make sure not to make any baseless assumptions about nice people talking about how the neighborhood has been a bit run down and how it would be nice if certain people didn't drive around out here or show up in the park

Then from now on if you say you don't approve of something but people shouldn't judge the people who do it I'll go ahead and assume you think they should be stoned just for the sake of consistency.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    You're right, Quid

We have no idea what she believes (except Ross who knows her personally I guess and has been trying to tell you what she believes, but putting that aside)

We just have a statement that we should love people (with lots of caveats involving homophobic dog-whistles but they could instead just be perfectly innocent!)

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Fuck it, I'm done. Feel free to be the geese spool thinks you're all a parody of if you want. Hopefully the super duper pure votes in any other states will outweigh everyone else you've all decided are bigots for not waving a flag.

• Options
    This is the post that got this whole conversation started
    “Our culture has accepted two huge lies. The first is that if you disagree with someone’s lifestyle, you must fear or hate them.
    This is standard boilerplate for: "How dare you accuse me of being hateful just because I oppose gay rights!"
    The second is that to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do.
    I don't like the gay choices you've made in your life but I still love you!
    Both are nonsense. You don’t have to compromise convictions to be compassionate.”
    I'm compassionately telling you that you don't deserve equal treatment under the law.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Fuck it, I'm done. Feel free to be the geese spool thinks you're all a parody of if you want. Hopefully the super duper pure votes in any other states will outweigh everyone else you've all decided are bigots for not waving a flag.

I don't need a flag, man. I'd settle for an absence of passive legitimization of bigotry.

• Options
    Kana wrote: »
    “Our culture has accepted two huge lies. The first is that if you disagree with someone’s lifestyle, you must fear or hate them.
    This is standard boilerplate for: "How dare you accuse me of being hateful just because I oppose gay rights!"
    The second is that to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do.
    Both are nonsense. You don’t have to compromise convictions to be compassionate.”
    I'm compassionately telling you that you don't deserve equal treatment under the law.

Thank you <3

It's a common reformulation of the old "Love the sinner, Hate the sin" canard

the fact that she is saying this at all is problematic

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular

Or she's saying nothing

As soon as you quote where she said "don't hate gay people"

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options

The really bad part is that the quote concretely condones passive bigotry while failing to cement its position w/r/t to what kind of "compassion" LGBTeamers are worthy of.

I mean, in a limited definition, compassion may just mean "we won't try to kill you with rocks."

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Or she's saying nothing

It's a comment in the same vein as "Bless your heart."

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    It isn't something super heinous, and she doesn't think she's in the wrong. But fuck that if I am expected to consider it support.

It isn't a demonstration of support. It is a demonstration of the problem.

This isn't purity/cause bullshit like "straight ally" crap earlier. It is the very problem.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited April 2013

The really bad part is that the quote concretely condones passive bigotry while failing to cement its position w/r/t to what kind of "compassion" LGBTeamers are worthy of.

I mean, in a limited definition, compassion may just mean "we won't try to kill you with rocks."

Or even "We will try to kill you with rocks but we'll feel really bad about it"

edit: or even "We're going to kill you with rocks for your own good, it's better this way"

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options

Yeah, I suppose.

"It's for your own good! We love you! We will cry for you at your funeral! After we kill you!"

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Kana wrote: »

I for one admit to having misread the original quote as being, "It's a lie that if you disagree with someone's lifestyle, you must meddle with their life, and it's a lie that if you decide meddling is wrong, that means you approve of that lifestyle."

This is because, not being religious, I associate hatred and love with actions, not bullshit. I apologize for arguing incorrectly earlier.

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular

Or she's saying nothing

It's a comment in the same vein as "Bless your heart."

I hold even less interest in giving her the benefit of the doubt because of the number of people sharing that quote that are TOTALLY opposed.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options

Yeah, I suppose.

"It's for your own good! We love you! We will cry for you at your funeral! After we kill you!"

Yeah, compassion can be used for some fucked up actions. Like up to torture if you fear they'll go to Hell. Fortunately I have not seen that particular thing lately.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Hey you know what's better than this? Besides everything of course. But I was referring to GOOD NEWS!

Uruguay's Senate voted to legalize gay marriage, 23-8. The lower house is expected to vote and pass the modified bill within 2 weeks. The ruling party, which pledged to vote for the law, controls both houses. Once passed, the government has up to 90 days to implement it, followed by the president signing it into law. All of the above are expected to happen. They're the second nation to approve marriage equality in Latin America (Argentina the first), and will (likely, barring something absolutely drastic) become the 12th nation to legalize gay marriage.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I was just typing out a post on my phone for that Tom.

• Options
    Clown ShoesClown Shoes Give me hay or give me death. Registered User regular
    If you've got a tumour, isn't it at least better that it's benign than malignant?

Making it socially unacceptable and in some cases illegal to be openly homophobic is the first step to getting rid of the problem.

• Options
    Hey you know what's better than this? Besides everything of course. But I was referring to GOOD NEWS!

Uruguay's Senate voted to legalize gay marriage, 23-8. The lower house is expected to vote and pass the modified bill within 2 weeks. The ruling party, which pledged to vote for the law, controls both houses. Once passed, the government has up to 90 days to implement it, followed by the president signing it into law. All of the above are expected to happen. They're the second nation to approve marriage equality in Latin America (Argentina the first), and will (likely, barring something absolutely drastic) become the 12th nation to legalize gay marriage.

Unfortunately I don't forsee any further Latin American countries joining them in the immediate future, but hope springs eternal

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    I find the phrase "straight ally" super weird. I don't think anyone's ever called me that before, and I certainly don't define myself an "ally" of the gay rights movement. That word just makes me think of like supply trains and strategic geopolitical alliances. Like, allies eventually stop being allies, they're working together but are by definition fundamentally separate. I'm not "pro-gay", I'm pro equality and pro treating all people with respect. And I don't consider my support for equal treatment under the law to be some sort of magnanimous gesture because of how kind I am. I support good schools in my community even though I don't have kids because I don't want to live in a community of stupid people, and I support gay rights and minority rights because I want to live in a free and fair democracy, and I don't want to live in a shitty-ass 18th century theocracy.

I dunno, I guess it's not really that simple either, but I just find it weird when people act like if you're straight you can just pick up and walk away from gay rights at no cost. The stakes are obviously not the same, but I still feel like I have a personal stake in gay rights succeeding, just like I have an interest in women being treated equally and fairly despite me not being female. I want people to be treated right, because I'm also a person, and that's a far more important bond than skin color or who you want to have sex with, at least to me.

Uh that might've turned a little heavier than I was intending, but yeah.