As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SWTOR] I have been granted Emergency Powers. [Mark Spoilers]

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    I ran HMLI one time through the group finder and it went swell, only one wipe.

I have yet to do that again, though, on account of the law of averages.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    kafzielkafziel Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Melee DPS: First tank insists that he can hold the boss still while we move. I point out that since both DPS are melee that we can't possible move the bubbles far enough away from him that this will work. After wiping three times, the tank says that either I must go or he will.

Sounds like the tank was right. Melee DPS can easily run the bubbles away in time while you fight the boss in the center. I've done it and seen it done plenty.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    kafziel wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Melee DPS: First tank insists that he can hold the boss still while we move. I point out that since both DPS are melee that we can't possible move the bubbles far enough away from him that this will work. After wiping three times, the tank says that either I must go or he will.

Sounds like the tank was right. Melee DPS can easily run the bubbles away in time while you fight the boss in the center. I've done it and seen it done plenty.

I moved them as far as I could from the center. Eventually the center was too crowded. Even if this is a thing that can be a accomplished, once the center is full it is the tank's job to find a new place to hold the boss. Continuing to stubbornly hold the boss in an area where you're taking plasma damage is bad tanking.

Like look back at the version of what when on when I was healing; a dps was placing the plasma in the tank's kiting path, and instead of just staying in those damage areas the tank moved on to where it was safe. Just saying "whelp, this is where I want to stay so imma stay here and die" is a time waster.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    While technically you can always be able to run the plasma far enough away from the center to last the whole fight, it requires pretty much perfect timing to do.

I personally hate kiting that boss since not only is that room utterly shit for it, but it makes the already-difficult job of picking up those adds even harder.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I guess I've had enough practice kiting that boss that it makes the most sense to me to just kite, unless all your DPS is ranged. And even ranged sometimes end up standing too close to center when the plasma target comes and are unable to move far enough away to keep the plasma from center. I'd still infinitely rather tank that fight than anything else though, because it seems like if I'm not tanking it than I have to deal with tanks who want to do as little as possible and put the onus on everyone else to make that fight work.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    korodullin wrote: »
    While technically you can always be able to run the plasma far enough away from the center to last the whole fight, it requires pretty much perfect timing to do.

I personally hate kiting that boss since not only is that room utterly shit for it, but it makes the already-difficult job of picking up those adds even harder.

If nothing else, the center area is big enough and the bubbles have a short enough duration that you can lead him around the corners of the center if bubbles land close.

Bubble placement really only requires attentive DPS, though.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Is the tank supposed to pick up the adds? I always ignore them since they don't do much.

• Options
    Nah, DPS is supposed to pick them off. They aren't a big deal unless they cluster on the healer.

• Options
    Yeah I ignore them as dps too. Maybe I should start paying attention to them but eh it hasn't fucked me yet.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    as a tank, DPS who ignore the adds that are supposed to be dps'd down and let them run all over/go to the healer make me so angry.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    LI has a poor time to reward ratio. I only beat it with pugs twice, and the rewards are eeeehhhhhh and fnnnnrrrr

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    HM LI is funny because it's really the only flashpoint that forces you to care about mechanics (well, false emperor has the one stupid gimmick I guess), and always reveals how unprepared people are when they have to actually account for them.

I had the best luck completing it when it was brand new, because people had the attitude that they'd actually have to go in and learn it. Doing it toward the end of my previous subbed time was painful as hell because people instead had the attitude that a wipe meant everybody was terrible (except them, of course.) I had one guy try and convince me that the first boss always enrages at 30% and you just had to heal through it, because lord knows the problem couldn't have been that his tionese geared self just couldn't push out enough DPS.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    I really like most of the encounters in LI, but the sheer amount of dumb luck you need to find a group that isn't grossly incompetent is the main thing that keeps me from doing it more.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    DUBBLPOSTE

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    With a good group LI is one of the fastest flashpoints, like 15-20 minutes fast. However as a dps I basically only run it with a guild since it's a pain in the ass to find a group as a dps.

I'll try to pug it as a healer or tank every once in a while, basically if I do Kaon.

emp123 on
  • Options
    With the changes, when a guild group is like "Hey let's random flashpoint" I'm all in favor of making it LI specifically, so we don't get stuck in something an hour long like False Emperor or Directive 7.

Shame that there's so rarely a guild group for "Hey let's random flashpoint".

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Industry Thread is abuzz with BW's plan to introduce same gender romances to Makeb.

Well, more or less reacting to Fox's sensationalize.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    Industry Thread is abuzz with BW's plan to introduce same gender romances to Makeb.

Well, more or less reacting to Fox's sensationalize.

I think this one beat the Fox article by a bit.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/423849/20130114/star-wars-old-republic-sgr-gay-planet.htm

Highlights are:
    Excluding gay characters to a single area in The Old Republic, an area which is only accessible by paying extra money, has been described by PC Games N as an "oddly regressive move."

And, of course, the mouthbreather from the forum talking about how including SGR will make lots of people leave the game.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    It's really early in the year to already have "most ridiculous piece of game based journalism" out there.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    It never even occurred to me that it could be seen as segregation. Honestly though, unless there are a lot of pronouns in the VO that I'm missing it seems like going back and making the previous romances open to both sexes shouldn't be an unmanageable task.

Particularly since Malavai Quinn is flaaaaaaaming

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Going back to the original companions and "making them gay" for the group that wants it would cause a shitstorm of apocalyptic levels in the forums.

New characters are fine though, since you can't really complain if they are written that way from the start. Well, some people will complain anyways, but not the kind of things that cause major articles on something other than Fox News (which love doing articles on stuff like this anyways, and I think already are; giving them ammunition would be an awful idea).

Honestly I think they're handling it as best they can for the people that want it.

And, of course, the mouthbreather from the forum talking about how including SGR will make lots of people leave the game.

"Lots" is a laugh, but "some" is probably going to be true. There is a reason most companies refuse to touch this subject.

Astale on
  • Options
    Fix your quote tag please.
    A) Credit where it's due
    B) This is the only forum that I grace with my presence.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Nocren wrote: »
    Fix your quote tag please.
    A) Credit where it's due
    B) This is the only forum that I grace with my presence.

Apologies, give me a sec. I have zero fucking clue how Vanilla works. I miss the old forums UI.

Edit: I don't know what I'm doing. Just removed the nametag for a bandaid fix.

Astale on
  • Options
    S'alright.
    Happens to a lot of us.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I can't seem to find an easy answer, so I'll ask here. What, exactly, is a Synthetic Energy Matrix used for?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    there's probably a lot of dialogue that the protagonist VAs didn't record that would be needed for existing romances to be SGR-ified.

also man, this gay planet thing. I realize it's all about getting pageviews but man, I wonder how the dudes who write this stuff do it sometimes

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    also are there any heavy/adaptive armors that show a hood that I can use on my juggernaut?

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I can't seem to find an easy answer, so I'll ask here. What, exactly, is a Synthetic Energy Matrix used for?

26/27 armorings, barrels, and hilts.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    It never even occurred to me that it could be seen as segregation. Honestly though, unless there are a lot of pronouns in the VO that I'm missing it seems like going back and making the previous romances open to both sexes shouldn't be an unmanageable task.

You wouldn't have to re-record a lot of companion lines, but you'd have to get all sixteen PC voice actors to come in and record their new sides of the existing romances.

There's also the shitstorm that would result from existing characters who've finished companions already having missed out on the romances. Unless you reset all companion conversation lines in the process.

• Options
    Do you happen to have a link to an example schematic or two?

And I was just on my Juggernaut, I would have gotten the name. There's definitely a few armors with hoods up. They're easy to spot, the item tile graphic has the hood up. The one I have has the same basic chest armor as the Rampage Assault armor, but while all the other versions of that model I've seen have the hood down on the back, this one has the hood up.

I just noticed that HK doesn't seem to get bonus damage or critical chance from any stats. I thought maybe it was just showing it oddly because it only added a bonus from Strength, and I was on my Warrior, but when I brought out Jaessa it showed hers as getting a bonus from Strength and Willpower. Is it actually just displaying oddly in some way? Or is HK glitched to not actually be getting any bonuses?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    kafziel wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »

You wouldn't have to re-record a lot of companion lines, but you'd have to get all sixteen PC voice actors to come in and record their new sides of the existing romances.

There's also the shitstorm that would result from existing characters who've finished companions already having missed out on the romances. Unless you reset all companion conversation lines in the process.

Yeah, I think that's something a lot of the complainers are forgetting. I doubt they'll just stop with whomever they introduce at Makeb either.

• Options
    Short answer: HK gets bonus damage and critical from both Aim and Cunning. Don't gear for other things.

Long answer: Basically, each of the four offensive stats improves Bonus Damage and Crit Chance for a category of attacks. Strength adds to melee, Willpower adds to force, Aim adds to ranged, and Cunning adds to tech. Main stat for the characters, however, adds to all four categories at the same rate as each of those individual ones, so - for instance - if you're a Warrior, and thus your main stat is Strength, then it's stupid to gear for Willpower to make your force powers stronger, when gearing for Strength is literally always better.

Jaesa, being a Jedi Shadow/Sith Assassin type, has Willpower as her main stat. So she adds Willpower and Strength to melee damage, even though your Warrior only adds Strength. HK-51 is unique in so far as main stats, though, because he has two. Both Aim and Cunning boost his ranged and tech damage and crit chances, at equal rates, so you're best off gearing him evenly for both.

I'd guess you might have been looking at HK's melee damage, which is zero because he has no melee powers.

• Options
    Do you happen to have a link to an example schematic or two?

Here's a schematic my cybertech learned today that uses them:

http://www.torhead.com/schematic/dzbhZGg/advanced-guardian-armoring-26

• Options

They're the purple cubey-looking tier 8 crafting mats, yes? They're used in a lot of level 50 crafting recipes, usually armorings and things that people reverse engineer, almost always alongside Molecular Stabilizers. However, since a lot of things use far fewer (and sometimes no) Matrices than Stabilizers, the prices of the purples is far, far lower despite being "rarer". It's also why the Empire guild bank on Shadowlands has well over a hundred of the things.

also are there any heavy/adaptive armors that show a hood that I can use on my juggernaut?

There are a few, but it's slim pickings. There's stuff like the Heavy Ciridium armor and a few other texture swaps like it in slightly differing colors, which are the ONLY default Juggernaut armors designed with hoods. There are nothing else.

NvUivlcI

If you're not tanking, then you can maybe, possibly get away with using one of the hooded Marauder chest pieces. The overall difference in mitigation isn't that large or noticeable for a DPS.

Aside from that, your only real option is to go for one of the cartel market's hooded Jedi robes, like the Honored Saberist chest or the Preceptor's Vestments. If you don't mind looking Inquisitor-y, the Revan and Phantom chest pieces both have hoods, but look stupid without actual robe bottoms.

If you like or don't mind the yellow of the Preceptor's robe, use some black pants like the Ulgo Noble pants along with the Despot set's boots and gloves, but don't color match the gloves and boots. It actually looks pretty good.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    Completing the Black Hole quest (I think its the Heroic 4) gives you the option of choosing between 2 hooded chests (although they may look the same). It may be the one Korodullin linked.

• Options
    It is. The model is the same as the picture I posted. The other variation that Torvix gives has some red coloring to it instead of the bluish tint.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of. I took each reward just for the orange armor. The red one looks pretty nice. I'm going with the Rampage Assault Chestguard I mentioned, though...same basic thing, but with the hood down. It also happens to be purple, which is awesome, and keeps the red glowing bits.

http://www.torhead.com/item/46FJm9H/rampage-assault-chestguard

And I probably was looking at HK's melee damage, that clears that up.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    spose I'll trawl the market for the adaptive stuff

where does the ciridium chest actually come from? torhead doesn't seem to know

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    End of Torvix, I believe.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    I wish I could find a robe like that for my marauder. Im currently rocking the exotech chest which looks basically the same but is red which I guess goes well with my pink purple crystals.

Oh, I bought 2 Ziost Guardian lightsabers and those suckers make a lot of noise. And you cant really see the lightning. Unfortunate.

Also, I really wish they just made a separate modification slot for set bonus instead of having it tied to the armoring.

This discussion has been closed.