As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Half-Life] End of an Era

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    honestly though, was anyone ever really expecting it to come out?
    Valve seemed to stop caring about games once they realised what they could do what hats, and that was yeaaaars ago.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Part of me wants to believe in a future where HL triumphantly returns from out of no where after everyone writes it off for dead, but the other more protective part of me doesn't want to have my dreams crushed again and therefore wont allow me to believe such things.

edit: I mean look at Fallout, fans thought that franchise was dead and gone as well and I'm not talking about the wait for Fallout4.

What I'm saying is maybe they should sell the IP to Bethesda? :p

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Half-life 1 had a patch within the last week. Let the conspiracy theories begin!
    Probably just a technical update. Driver recognition / operation, that sorta shit.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Part of me wants to believe in a future where HL triumphantly returns from out of no where after everyone writes it off for dead, but the other more protective part of me doesn't want to have my dreams crushed again and therefore wont allow me to believe such things.

edit: I mean look at Fallout, fans thought that franchise was dead and gone as well and I'm not talking about the wait for Fallout4.

What I'm saying is maybe they should sell the IP to Bethesda? :p

because thats what I want.

a fucking horrible, dumbed down, buggy as fuck Half Life thats only playable after the players spend 3 years salvaging something from the wreck of Bethesda studios.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I think they were insinuating that Bethesda would put someone like MachineGames (aka Wolfenstein: TNO) or the team that did the new DOOM on it.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    There is also Bethesda the publisher.

edit:
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I think they were insinuating that Bethesda would put someone like MachineGames (aka Wolfenstein: TNO) or the team that did the new DOOM on it.

Put the guys behind Dishonored on it. Werent they already making one of the cancelled episodes?

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    put the guys behind Dishonored on it. Werent they already making one of the cancelled episodes?

Arkane have had a couple of cancelled collaborations with Valve, including a hypothetical Episode Four.

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    It's some amount of closure, so I'm thankful for that. I feel bad for Laidlaw, though. He's clearly been frustrated for a long time now.
    Here's something interesting:

m3woa4cln2agcremco1l.jpg

JUST LET IT DIE ALREADY FUCK
    What he posted up was the original plan for Episode 3 as of the release of the Orange Box, the NDA on which has supposedly expired recently. Would make sense, as we're exactly 10 years out. He most likely still isn't legally allowed to comment on anything in the greater Half-Life franchise that isn't directly related to that project, or on any later iterations of the next game in the series.

• Options

edit:

Put the guys behind Dishonored on it. Werent they already making one of the cancelled episodes?
    wasnt dishonored 2 a total pile of dogshit after like the first level or two where they took all the advertising footage from?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Didn't Laidlaw say there's no relevance to the timing other tjan he just got around to it?

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Buttcleft wrote: »

edit:

wasnt dishonored 2 a total pile of dogshit after like the first level or two where they took all the advertising footage from?

No, Dishonored 2 was awesome pretty much all the way through, and there was a late game level with a fucking awesome mechanic.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular

No?

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Arkane will always have a soft spot in my heart for Dark Messiah.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Didn't Laidlaw say there's no relevance to the timing other tjan he just got around to it?

yeah that was one of his tweets in the reply chain.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Arkane will always have a soft spot in my heart for Dark Messiah.

I like Arkane because they made Ultima Underworld 3 Arx Fatalis.

Would have been interesting to see that one off Ravenholm expansion they were working on.

• Options
    Arx Fatalis was great until you got to the part with the super hard to kill magic soldier dudes.

• Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    I'm currently playing Prey and it's basically Half-Life 2 x System Shock 2 and everything Bioshock should have been. So yeah, give anything/everything to Arkane. I'm very impressed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    They still keep accidentally leaking HLVR stuff so ya never know

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options

No?

Maybe I'm remembering a different game, then, I apologize.. I remember there was a sequel to a game that was dogshit after the first couple hours because they just stopped caring beyond what the previewers and shot takers would see.

• Options
    I just realized something about that synopsis: No Barney!

Also it would represent the first skip of time that Gordon would have been consciouce for since the gap between the Hazard Course training and HL1.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Jesus, I hope HL3 isn't dead forever. HL2 is the game that got me into PC gaming and I still play the franchise at least one on a yearly basis.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    All Valve's writers quit and their next new game is a collectible card thing.

I'm not expecting single-player narrative anything from now on.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    All Valve's writers quit

Not true; just the most well known ones.

• Options
    edited August 2017

Also it would represent the first skip of time that Gordon would have been consciouce for since the gap between the Hazard Course training and HL1.

He did say that it had very little detail, so barney still could have been involved in ep3.
    Jesus, I hope HL3 isn't dead forever. HL2 is the game that got me into PC gaming and I still play the franchise at least one on a yearly basis.

I'm playing through the franchise right now as a sort of funeral.

edit: Honestly its just better to assume that the franchise is dead and gone at this point. That way if it comes back later it's an unexpected bonus.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Ill just have to keep going through 1 and 2.

:(

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    No FPS catharsis for what the Overseer's did to Alyx?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    All Valve's writers quit and their next new game is a collectible card thing.

I'm not expecting single-player narrative anything from now on.

A collectible card Dota 2 thing... it's not even a new lore, it's just turning Dota 2 into a CCG. :bigfrown: Just lame to see a dev who used to make great single player PC games just stop doing that.

• Options
    No FPS catharsis for what the Overseer's did to Alyx?

There's lots of time for fights in the Arctic there, and they had pretty much finished the Advisor combat AI as of Ep2, so probably it would have been in there

• Options
    edited August 2017

I asked Marc about that and he's like "gotta leave some things unresolved!”. my headcanon is he caught the wrong train and it turned out to be an express. we've all been there

LaCabra on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    The plot of Episode 3 that Marc lays out is so depressing that I'm not even sure I would want to know what happens next after finishing it.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    august wrote: »
    The plot of Episode 3 that Marc lays out is so depressing that I'm not even sure I would want to know what happens next after finishing it.
    Basically par for the course. You've got Half-Life (aliens have invaded and killed everyone except the people the military has killed, anyways now you're stuck in a train), Half-Life 2 (are you both going to blow up or just Alyx?), Episode 1 (well I hope nobody's left in City 17), and Episode 2 (okay I guess this did have a happy ending).

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Ep 1 ended the threat to City 17. Ep 2 absolutely did not have a happy ending.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Basically par for the course. You've got Half-Life (aliens have invaded and killed everyone except the people the military has killed, anyways now you're stuck in a train), Half-Life 2 (are you both going to blow up or just Alyx?), Episode 1 (well I hope nobody's left in City 17), and Episode 2 (okay I guess this did have a happy ending).

This is sarcasm right? Because Alyx's dad (who also happened to be the leader of the resistance) got an alien tongue through his dome right in front of her! Starship Troopers style!

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular

I kind of like it. It's a neat way to shift the story to being about Alyx, and Gordon might return someday if the vortigaunts bring him back.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular

This is sarcasm right? Because Alyx's dad (who also happened to be the leader of the resistance) got an alien tongue through his dome right in front of her! Starship Troopers style!
    You caught me! I was being sarcastic.

• Options
    edited August 2017

I kind of like it. It's a neat way to shift the story to being about Alyx, and Gordon might return someday if the vortigaunts bring him back.

I didn't take that as a hint that you would play as Alex so much as I took it to mean that Alex would be more important/central to the story in the next one. I doubt they'd have you play as anyone except Gordon in a mainline HL game or episode. Maybe in a spinoff expansion blue shift or opposing force style, but nothing that would effect the mainline story.

edit: The more important question is, the part about Alex recognizing the G-Man as an old schoolmate,
    was that part of the hl story or was that just part of the genderswapping n such that he added to avoid copyright? Because that has ginormous implications if it's the former.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options

Hoo boy, that is what I get for foruming while drinking.

• Options

Shit I dunno maybe you really like the Combine for some reason.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I'd be curious how much of that pitch would have survived to a finalized game (had it been released) after it got pushed through a zillion iterations.

Undead Scottsman on