Options

Presidential Election 2012: I'm too old for this Mitt.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    so, it's looking like there's a chance that Mitt won't be on the ticket in Washington (state) because the GOP fucked up here

http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2012/08/16/libertarians-sue-to-have-romney-kicked-off-washington-ballot

• Options
    Butters wrote: »
    Guys, we can climb out of our national debt pretty quickly if we just let the Bush tax cuts run out. All our elected officials have to do is nothing.
    They're going to fuck this up so bad.

If that were true we'd never have had a national debt to begin with. Go ahead and argue higher taxes all you want but if you look at the numbers and believe that a 4% or whatever increase of income tax revenue and 3-5% on capital gains from the last 10 years would erase a $14 trillion dollar debt you are really ignorant or really bad at math.

ummm they had started paying the national debt down before bush was elected

• Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    Guys, we can climb out of our national debt pretty quickly if we just let the Bush tax cuts run out. All our elected officials have to do is nothing.

If that were true we'd never have had a national debt to begin with. Go ahead and argue higher taxes all you want but if you look at the numbers and believe that a 4% or whatever increase of income tax revenue and 3-5% on capital gains from the last 10 years would erase a $14 trillion dollar debt you are really ignorant or really bad at math.

math isn't on your side on this one

DEBT-DRIVERS.jpg

want to lower the debt? get rid of the bush tax cuts. maddow summed up the bush tax cuts well "we went to war while cutting taxes- who does that?"

word we're still at war? where?

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »

Enlighten me on what the joke is, apparently I don't get it either.

Seems to me like he's just fearmongering off a right wing nutjob story which was already debunked.

Or, you know, he's just joking about the NWS shooting people that don't like the weather. It's always kind of amazing to me how people insist on reading a statement that's open to interpretation as if the interpretation they most want to be true must in fact be how the person making the statement meant it.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options

DEBT-DRIVERS.jpg

want to lower the debt? get rid of the bush tax cuts. maddow summed up the bush tax cuts well "we went to war while cutting taxes- who does that?"

You're bad at reading charts.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Maximum wrote: »

Enlighten me on what the joke is, apparently I don't get it either.

Seems to me like he's just fearmongering off a right wing nutjob story which was already debunked.

Or, you know, he's just joking about the NWS shooting people that don't like the weather. It's always kind of amazing to me how people insist on reading a statement that's open to interpretation as if the interpretation they most want to be true must in fact be how the person making the statement meant it.

yeah that could very easily just be a legit attempt at a joke

• Options
    Or at reading what Butters said, or both.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    A guy commented on my friend's facebook post that Julian Assange is a secret government agent. Is this more stupid than crazy or more crazy than stupid? Please show your work.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    A guy commented on my friend's facebook post that Julian Assange is a secret government agent. Is this more stupid than crazy or more crazy than stupid? Please show your work.

morbid curiosity... which government?

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

DEBT-DRIVERS.jpg

These projections are completely meaningless. They are based on assumptions that the CBO cannot possibly predict.

Again,

DEBT-DRIVERS.jpg

You're bad at reading charts.

Also, lol at the psychic CBO.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    TyrantCow wrote: »

The United States of America.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    so, it's looking like there's a chance that Mitt won't be on the ticket in Washington (state) because the GOP fucked up here

http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2012/08/16/libertarians-sue-to-have-romney-kicked-off-washington-ballot

You know they're just gonna put him on anyway and tell everyone to suck it.

• Options
    I mean, the law is the law so if they don't qualify to have a candidate on the ballot then I guess that's the way it breaks. But I'm not going to celebrate a bunch of washingtonians effectively being disenfranchised of their vote because of some technicality the party overlooked. Though I assume people could still write Romney in.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    TyrantCow wrote: »

The United States of America.

more crazy < stupid

coefficient(ignorance) >= malice

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular

DEBT-DRIVERS.jpg

Deficit spending is only a component of debt.

• Options
    Weaver wrote: »

You know they're just gonna put him on anyway and tell everyone to suck it.

I know, and when it happens, I'm going to raise a big stink about our secretary of state picking and choosing when to implement state law
    I mean, the law is the law so if they don't qualify to have a candidate on the ballot then I guess that's the way it breaks. But I'm not going to celebrate a bunch of washingtonians effectively being disenfranchised of their vote because of some technicality the party overlooked. Though I assume people could still write Romney in.

"disenfranchised"?

that's a little dramatic, I think

they can still write him in

but also let's not pretend that the electoral college doesn't totally erase the significance of those votes anyway

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    my current favorite thing is Obama's tax calculator

http://www.barackobama.com/tax-calculator

If you switch the dial to "0 dependents", the language under the angry red number that Romney will cost you changes very subtly from "families like yours" to "average families" (read: not yours, in fact if you're single with no kids you'd be very likely get a tax cut under either Romney OR Ryan's plan at any middle or lower class income level... hmm... who is single and has no kids and is a poorer income level? oh yeah, young voters who go to tax calculators on the internet!)

Also all of the Tax savings projected for 2013 under Obama is based on legislation that hasn't passed yet, and would have to be passed under a Senate that is likely to be 50-49-1

hope and change!

Are you sure of this?

On Ryan's proposed 2013 budget specifically, the bargain is that your federal income tax rate is decreased in exchange for being stripped of common household deductions like child credits, mortgage interest deduction, student loan interest deductions.

If you receive few or none of these credits, your taxes would be lower in MANY common cases.

So if you're young and you have no babies and you rent, you get a (sometimes huge) break.

In fact, if you make between 35k and 49k your tax rate on that income goes from 25% down to 10%

So. Let's just say... a 24 year old making 45k, single... and the only deduction he really can claim is student loan interest

That guy is going to save money

Now, as it happens, I personally would not see that much of a tax cut. I happen to fall in a range that puts me into Ryan's 25% bracket for a decent chunk of my income. But if I wanted to start my own business, I wouldn't get crucified quite so badly either (like I did this year), thanks to some simplified tax code.

Families who own homes would also get hit... but the extent to which they get hit is also based heavily on how much their home is worth and how many children they have and what their interest rates are. So the more expensive your house is, the more your taxes would go up in contrast to the current system.

Worth noting is that this tax code also abolishes all corporate subsidy, including oil subsidy. Yes it lowers taxes on corporations. But it also levels the playing field big time in that realm.

now if only they would actually propose eliminating any of those deductions, rather than simply saying they'll get down to brass tacks of suggesting which ones to cut at an unspecified later date and implying that those will be included

the problem being they're both spineless children and they know that "I'll get rid of deductions" polls much much better than "I'll get rid of Deduction X"

• Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    my point is that the perception that the conservative tax proposals on the table are an evisceration of the middle class and working poor across the board is a farce

Please explain this, given that the middle class is by definition a four person household making $50k/year

50k between 4 people is not "middle class"

it's fucking broke

I grew up in a household like that

and the mean household size of households making 50k or less is comfortably under 3.0 and household size correlates well with income (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_income_in_the_United_States)

so

please explain that

Hahaha no fuckin' way dude. If you thought your family was "fucking broke" making 50k a year you are fucking deluded

While its not "living in a box" broke, its still broke. Kids are a terrible financial decision, what with food for four mouths, doctors bills, everchanging clothes sizes, paying for school stuff, new and preexisting debts (college, mortgage, what have you), the inevitable daycare center/babysitter (because more likely than not its a multiple income household) until they turn old enough to go latchkey.

While not destitute, 50k a year total for a family of four is pretty much 80% paycheck-to-paycheck living, and that's broke. When you're one missed week of work from telling your family "ramen for dinner for the next month", you're broke.

Maybe my own experience skews my idea of what "fucking broke" is. But the idea that someone making $50k with two kids could claim to be "fucking broke" is goddamn hysterical to me. I understand that it is completely possible to be "broke" and make pretty much any amount of money, but where I am from $50k is fairly comfortable living. And by that I mean you have cable TV and internet and your kids probably have cell phones and video games and all that bullshit.

sig2.jpg
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Yeah well I grew up in a small Sudanese village and I'm laughing hysterically at you laughing at someone else for having it tough

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Tef wrote: »
    Yeah well I grew up in a small Sudanese village and I'm laughing hysterically at you laughing at someone else for having it tough

I'm really not trying to make this anything like that. Like I said, I understand that it is possible to just be broke no matter how much you make. I just don't really have any sympathy for them. You aren't poor, not even close. You're making double what is considered "poverty." You're making more than triple the federal minimum wage (before taxes). You might be making below the median (depends on where you live) but that doesn't make you broke.

Poor people know how to be poor. If you're making $50k and you have to feed your family ramen for a month something has gone horribly fucking wrong.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Goddamn hysterical, yes, you are correct, and in no way a goose for this sentiment.

• Options
    Maybe cost of living is just way higher where you live

sig2.jpg
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I've got sympathy for those people, just like I have sympathy for people who are even worse off than that

I don't necessarily think it's about having sympathy for people but it's DEFINITELY not about laughing at people who want to share anecdotes about some of the rougher times in their life

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Fair enough. I apologize that I was acting callous. It's not fair of me to make light of other people's situations, especially when I don't know the full story.

sig2.jpg
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Most of the people I work with make 20,000 a year and have two kids. It seems pretty common among folks the haven't gone to college.

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    50k a year in new jersey before taxes is barely enough to maybe live by yourself in a closet eating strained sewer soup.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

Nope.

http://www.futuretimeline.net/subject/business-politics.htm

National debt in dollars (not % of GDP) has always gone up. The Clinton years "surplus" is a bit of a myth. It was the result of some creative accounting with off-budget funds and borrowing from trusts instead of the public. But national debt still grew throughout the Clinton administration though he certainly does deserve credit for the closest thing to a balanced budget since what feels like forever.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    You can balance a budget and still be increasing your debt load, nothing "creative" about the accounting at all.

If I owe $500 in debt at the beginning of August and I have a net income of $5 for the month of August after making my minimum payments, my debt load probably goes up.

• Options

Nope.

http://www.futuretimeline.net/subject/business-politics.htm

National debt in dollars (not % of GDP) has always gone up. The Clinton years "surplus" is a bit of a myth. It was the result of some creative accounting with off-budget funds and borrowing from trusts instead of the public. But national debt still grew throughout the Clinton administration though he certainly does deserve credit for the closest thing to a balanced budget since what feels like forever.

ah, I see

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    i made 50k working in nyc

barely ate

50k here in Tampa gives me a home

• Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    Sure, sure. But then you have to live in Tampa.

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    there is at least 4 square miles of habitable land in Tampa

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    there is at least 4 square miles of habitable land in Tampa
    Yeah it's called Davis Island

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    The fact that my dad made more per hour in the 70s working as a stocker at a grocery store than I did 4 years ago in a similar position only reenforces the fact that something has gone terribly wrong with America in the last 40 years.

I blame the death of labor unions.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    The fact that my dad made more per hour in the 70s working as a stocker at a grocery store than I did 4 years ago in a similar position only reenforces the fact that something has gone terribly wrong with America in the last 40 years.

i blame globalization

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    If you're going to compare the debt in terms of dollars instead of in % of GDP, at least compare it to inflation adjusted dollars.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

i blame globalization

Which probably go completely hand in hand.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Really? Globalization?

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    are you here to tell us that globalization has no impact on the american economy druhim

please share with the class

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    It was more a comment on where you live is crazy

But yes there is no livable area in Tampa

This discussion has been closed.