Options

Presidential Election 2012: I'm too old for this Mitt.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    im waiting for a politician to feed the CBO some numbers they are certain will result in a series of clever graphs that spell out "BOOBIES" when placed in the correct order next to each other

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Butters wrote: »
    Jars wrote: »
    or they could have accepted the federal funds offered to them instead of sending it back like some dumbass governors did. the stimulus package should have been five times what was passed

Do you have something that you can cite that shows state economies that accepted federal funds doing better than those that didn't? Also, LOL at a ~$4 trillion dollar stimulus.
    Solar wrote: »
    That's the entire reason unemployment isn't at 7% right now, because of all the public sector cuts which never needed to happen.

Public sector cuts by whom? Broke state governments? Because you see when a state is broke they kind of have to cut things.

There is a theory, and not a rarely held one either, than during recessions it is better for a government to increase debt and spend than it is for a government to cut and attempt to reduce debt. After all, we are talking about economies here, not household finances.

It is much harder to apply Keynesian style policies at the state level. They can't sell bonds to cover debt as easily as the Fed can.

True. I feel there could have been stronger pushes to change such a system due to the economic crisis, however. A lot of right wing politicians around the world have been using the recession to justify cuts, saying that now is a time to reduce spending and debt, rather than spending now in order to avoid making the situation worse in the future. Not really that down on the US situation though, if it was literally impossible for the states to enact Keynesian programs then I feel that there is a problem with the system but that the states cannot be held as responsible for such.

Solar on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    that's why they get funding from the federal government which can borrow money so cheaply that they are practically getting paid to do so. a real stimulus would have ended the recession on the spot and it would be a distant memory. do you have a reason for not having a large stimulus besides "the debt!" which has no place in a conversation about how to recover economically from a big crash.

and yes, I do. wisconson lost a lot of jobs because scott walker sent back the stimulus money.

Jars on
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Jasconius wrote: »
    my point is that the perception that the conservative tax proposals on the table are an evisceration of the middle class and working poor across the board is a farce

Please explain this, given that the middle class is by definition a four person household making $50k/year

50k between 4 people is not "middle class"

it's fucking broke

I grew up in a household like that

and the mean household size of households making 50k or less is comfortably under 3.0 and household size correlates well with income (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_income_in_the_United_States)

so

please explain that

Hahaha no fuckin' way dude. If you thought your family was "fucking broke" making 50k a year you are fucking deluded

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    But then, maybe it's a relative thing and your family had a lot of other debt and stuff? I just find that fucking hilarious.

sig2.jpg
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    or they could have accepted the federal funds offered to them instead of sending it back like some dumbass governors did. the stimulus package should have been five times what was passed

Do you have something that you can cite that shows state economies that accepted federal funds doing better than those that didn't? Also, LOL at a ~$4 trillion dollar stimulus.
    That's the entire reason unemployment isn't at 7% right now, because of all the public sector cuts which never needed to happen.

Public sector cuts by whom? Broke state governments? Because you see when a state is broke they kind of have to cut things.

There is a theory, and not a rarely held one either, than during recessions it is better for a government to increase debt and spend than it is for a government to cut and attempt to reduce debt. After all, we are talking about economies here, not household finances.

It is much harder to apply Keynesian style policies at the state level. They can't sell bonds to cover debt as easily as the Fed can.

True. I feel there could have been stronger pushes to change such a system due to the economic crisis, however. A lot of right wing politicians around the world have been using the recession to justify cuts, saying that now is a time to reduce spending and debt, rather than spending now in order to avoid making the situation worse in the future. Not really that down on the US situation though, if it was literally impossible for the states to enact Keynesian programs then I feel that there is a problem with the system but that the states cannot be held as responsible for such.

I haven't read up on Keynes since my first semester of college but do any of his theories take into account that most of these states were already running deficits well before the market crash? Because it doesn't sound like you're thinking about that at all.
    that's why they get funding from the federal government which can borrow money so cheaply that they are practically getting paid to do so. a real stimulus would have ended the recession on the spot and it would be a distant memory. do you have a reason for not having a large stimulus besides "the debt!" which has no place in a conversation about how to recover economically from a big crash.

and yes, I do. wisconson lost a lot of jobs because scott walker sent back the stimulus money.

Wisconsin is still faring better than the national average and has a lower unemployment rate than when Walker took office. Also, last I read they were on the path to a balanced budget.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options

I haven't read up on Keynes since my first semester of college but do any of his theories take into account that most of these states were already running deficits well before the market crash? Because it doesn't sound like you're thinking about that at all.

Wisconsin is still faring better than the national average and has a lower unemployment rate than when Walker took office. Also, last I read they were on the path to a balanced budget.

Hahahahaha

sig2.jpg
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2012

Wisconsin was faring better than the national average before walker took office and even mississippi has a lower unemployment rate than when walker took office

The country actually added an enormous amount of jobs from 2010-2012, despite the Republicans fighting tooth and nail.

Wisconsin's most recent jobs report for example is positive, but something like 1/4 of it has to be subtracted from teacher firings, excuse me "retirements". Furthermore Walker didn't do fucking anything to help the budget, he pushed it off until 2013 and I'm sick and tired of gooses standing up and proclaiming "how he made the tough choices" when he fucking didn't. He cut spending to give money to his campaign contributors in a display of political corruption that maybe Blagojavich couldn't even dream about

Then he pushed the paper around so the debt doesn't come do until next year, where he'll do the same fucking thing again like every WI governor for the last 20 years

override367 on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular

Keynesian economics simply believes that it is better to run at a deficit in order to reduce unemployment and stimulate the economy during bad times. Essentially you spend your way out of a recession, the idea being that a short term increase in the deficit will be recouped by long term tax revenue as more people are working and making/spending money in the economy. The austerity measures many governments are undertaking do the opposite of that, they cut public spending in order to reduce the deficit in the short term but with long term problems, especially in terms of healthcare and segments of the workforce losing years of potential employment experience and training.

Krugman did an interview on newsnight over here, totally tore apart a couple of Tory MPs and their ideas of austerity measures by showing that it simply causes long term problems, rather than actually fixing the situation. Again, the situation may be different in the US, but as far as I have heard austerity measures are taking place over there with large numbers of cuts especially on the state level.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited August 2012

Until very recently. This past June was one of the worst months since the 08 crash.

Javen on
  • Options
    The country actually added an enormous amount of jobs from 2010-2012, despite the Republicans fighting tooth and nail.

It's not that enormous in context and GDP growth is still very slow.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Guys, we can climb out of our national debt pretty quickly if we just let the Bush tax cuts run out. All our elected officials have to do is nothing.
    They're going to fuck this up so bad.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Sorry, letting tax cuts expire is the same as raising taxes, and everyone pinky swore to never raise taxes.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    grover norquest: ruining our country with an idea he came up with in the 7th grade

austerity curbs economic growth by contracting the money supply. people need money to spend money. austerity in times of economic downturn end up like ireland: 30% unemployment

the reason Keynesian economics don't work for republicans is because they don't actually do the pay down the deficit step when times are good, then they just bitch at clinton because he should be cutting taxes instead of running a surplus.

• Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    The traditional "liberal" response to a crash is Keynesian, putting cash into the economy through borrowing, which Obama has done

The traditional "conservative" response is monetarist, having the Fed keep interest rates low to stimulate a strong dollar, which Obama has done

These are pretty much the only two things a president can do. Obama has done and will continue to do both, Romney has promised to use only the monetarist approach (which is bullshit, he's going to spend just as much, but anyway). Doing two things to help instead of just one makes more sense to me.

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    I kind of want Mitt to get elected just so that all these psycho "there's a black man in the white house!" conspiracy theory websites lose most of their traffic

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    like that'd happen
    they'd just shift to psycho "there was a black man in the white house" conspiracies

suggesting obama has riddled the oval office with deadly traps and such

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I know a guy who keeps bringing up the Muslim Brotherhood when mentioning Obama.

Where does this shit even come from?

Racists? Probably racists.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    PolitiFact is a good website

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Yea racism

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    PolitiFact is a good website

no it's not.

• Options
    TheStig wrote: »
    Yea racism!

Paid for by the people for PwnanObrien 2012.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Guys, we can climb out of our national debt pretty quickly if we just let the Bush tax cuts run out. All our elected officials have to do is nothing.

If that were true we'd never have had a national debt to begin with. Go ahead and argue higher taxes all you want but if you look at the numbers and believe that a 4% or whatever increase of income tax revenue and 3-5% on capital gains from the last 10 years would erase a $14 trillion dollar debt you are really ignorant or really bad at math.

• Options
    I was way into liking politifact for a while, and they aren't really bad but sometimes i feel like they try way too hard to seem neutral. Like rating a blatantly false thing as only "mostly false" because of semantics when it's pretty clear facts are being totally misrepresented.

sig2.jpg
  • Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    I do believe to decrease our debt we need to cut some things,

mainly the military.

• Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    Speaking of POLITICS, I saw the Mittster himself today! Zooming by in an SUV!

His stupid convoy (of two cars) got the police out to block off the road and my bus was 15 minutes late! Yippee!

xet8c.gif

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    dbrock270 wrote: »

mainly the military.

But that'll make us look weak!

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    my point is that the perception that the conservative tax proposals on the table are an evisceration of the middle class and working poor across the board is a farce

Please explain this, given that the middle class is by definition a four person household making $50k/year

50k between 4 people is not "middle class"

it's fucking broke

I grew up in a household like that

and the mean household size of households making 50k or less is comfortably under 3.0 and household size correlates well with income (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_income_in_the_United_States)

so

please explain that

Hahaha no fuckin' way dude. If you thought your family was "fucking broke" making 50k a year you are fucking deluded

While its not "living in a box" broke, its still broke. Kids are a terrible financial decision, what with food for four mouths, doctors bills, everchanging clothes sizes, paying for school stuff, new and preexisting debts (college, mortgage, what have you), the inevitable daycare center/babysitter (because more likely than not its a multiple income household) until they turn old enough to go latchkey.

While not destitute, 50k a year total for a family of four is pretty much 80% paycheck-to-paycheck living, and that's broke. When you're one missed week of work from telling your family "ramen for dinner for the next month", you're broke.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    dbrock270 wrote: »

mainly the military.

Wait wait wait...

Are you saying that the trillion dollars we've spent on the development of the F-35 that doesn't work and can be sold to other countries when (if) it does work is a bad investment?

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Maybe we shouldn't get into a brokeness pissing contest you guys

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Yo Momma so broke...

• Options
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Yes, let us all tell one another how we didn't have it hard enough

That is the reasonable thing to do

• Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    Yes, let us all tell one another how we didn't have it hard enough

That is the reasonable thing to do

I didn't have it hard at all. I mean, we didn't have much money or anything but we always had plenty of food and as children my brother and I always had toys and stuff. The worst time was after my grandfather electrocuted himself and spent quite a long time in the hospital (they had to amputate one of his fingers).

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »

Enlighten me on what the joke is, apparently I don't get it either.

Seems to me like he's just fearmongering off a right wing nutjob story which was already debunked.

• Options
    edited August 2012

If that were true we'd never have had a national debt to begin with. Go ahead and argue higher taxes all you want but if you look at the numbers and believe that a 4% or whatever increase of income tax revenue and 3-5% on capital gains from the last 10 years would erase a $14 trillion dollar debt you are really ignorant or really bad at math.

math isn't on your side on this one

DEBT-DRIVERS.jpg

want to lower the debt? get rid of the bush tax cuts. maddow summed up the bush tax cuts well "we went to war while cutting taxes- who does that?"

Jars on
This discussion has been closed.