As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Skyrim: Now with realistic horse vaginas! Dragonborn DLC out 12/4.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Hooray my house is done and I'm trying to help 3 people so I can be thane of falkreath and get a housecarl but I'm stuck at two for some reason

which is fine I still need to finish the interior

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
    Ugh, the Dawnstar housecarl keeps following me around, even though I told him to stop. I'm happy with Faendal, dude. Just go wait at my house or something.

Unfortunately, Ultimate Follower Overhaul freaks out sometimes, and I think if I uninstall it, Faendal will lose his gear.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Take all his gear off him first?

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    My Nord
    He was arrested trying to sneak into Skyrim, but then a dragon attacked Helgen while he was supposed to get executed. Turns out he's the Dragonborn.

sig.gif
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    My Nord
    He was arrested trying to sneak into Skyrim, but then a dragon attacked Helgen while he was supposed to get executed. Turns out he's the Dragonborn.

For real?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I mean

it's your character and you can make up whatever backstory you like for them

like I know it's just your thing and it's not hurting anyone

but

I dunno don't you feel a little embarrassed to have made up such a fucking mary sue?

Seriously on
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    ironic casual fanfiction is still fanfiction

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    who in the hell is being ironic

• Options
    PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    My character is a Breton who is just a nice guy but also so much smarter than those dumb Nords around him who used to beat him up for his lunch money. And ladies would like them and not him because they only like dumb mean guys, y'know. But now he's the Dragonborn, he always knew he was special, and now all those Nords and women will see oh yes they'll see!

• Options
    I don't really come up with backstories for my characters. I just define how they play at the beginning.

Like, my next character is going to be a One-Handed/Magic artifact hunter, trying to appease all of the Daedra.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah I don't really spend much time thinking about backstory, as much as I sort of decide "Okay, he is an aspiring wizard and he is sick of the casual racism, and hates the Empire and the Stormcloaks in equal measure for being so tied up in their own bullshit politics while both of them are oppressive and downright rude to anything with a tail. And fuck those elf dudes, nuke whenever possible, but leave no witnesses."

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Basically just rough guidelines to dictate how I'll make decisions on this character in order to be somewhat consistent while still having fun, and then I just roll with it.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Zay wrote: »
    ironic casual fanfiction is still fanfiction

Being aware of how nerdy it is doesn't make it ironic

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Basically just rough guidelines to dictate how I'll make decisions on this character in order to be somewhat consistent while still having fun, and then I just roll with it.

Yeah that's the way I do it. My current character is "well she has a hammer and is a living off the land type so I guess she has a bow too, and is a werewolf because that makes sense". My first was "well he's a shaman looking dude, so I guess conjuration and sure ghost swords why not".

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Gather round, and hear the tale of my Dragonborn, fellows

My old Dunmer ash-hammer, Illiva Moor (I have decided that a Dunmer pyromancer who uses a warhammer shall be known as an ash-hammer), was told from the day she was born that she was the daughter of the nordic Nerevarine. In reality, her mother probably just slept with a Nord (claiming to be the nerevarine was a popular pick-up line among Nords abroad at the time). Her mother ran a tavern, but died while Illiva was still a child. Being orphaned in Vvardenfell at a young age, she roamed the wastes doing some PG-13 Peter Pan lost boys-type shit. She was eventually imprisoned for being a bandit youth, and joined the Legion to SEE THE WORLD! and get out of prison and poverty.

While part of the legion, her unit was tasked with hunting the Grey Fox, who had begun some large-scale occasionally-good-hearted thievery. Her unit was ambushed and mostly destroyed by the Grey Fox, but Illiva managed to fight him to a standstill. The Grey Fox AKA Jeb the Simple Bog Argonian liked her moxie and offered her a spot in his posse, so she deserted the legion to join him. Thus began their boss and big boss-style relationship.

They fought together for a long time, but there was eventually a schism in the group, due in part to the Argonians' invasion of Morrowind, with Illiva and Jeb leading opposing factions. They then had a legendary rivalry for however long Argonians live, with Illiva returning to Vvardfell in the end, where she studied fire magic and stuff. She started getting old, but decided she needed a life of battle and so started a new gang of outlaws that operated in Skyrim and Cyrodill to disrupt the Thalmor's operations. She then had some bad run-ins with the Stormcloaks, that led to skirmishes, which killed or demoralized the majority of her gang. Suddenly, while fleeing wounded from a battle: Tullius!!!!

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

Yeah that's the way I do it. My current character is "well she has a hammer and is a living off the land type so I guess she has a bow too, and is a werewolf because that makes sense". My first was "well he's a shaman looking dude, so I guess conjuration and sure ghost swords why not".

ghost swords are sick

I have built elaborate hong kong style fight scenes in my mind around the idea of ghost swords

• Options
    My character is a Breton who is just a nice guy but also so much smarter than those dumb Nords around him who used to beat him up for his lunch money. And ladies would like them and not him because they only like dumb mean guys, y'know. But now he's the Dragonborn, he always knew he was special, and now all those Nords and women will see oh yes they'll see!

Your headcanon contradicts mine and is therefore invalid.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Character backstories are voluntary, and hurt nobody.

Oh, so I've decided I needed a few mods for Skyrim. The first one I see? A mod that causes villagers to run indoors when a dragon attacks. Very tired of losing the village blacksmith because he charged at the dragon with his bare hands, moments after he tells me how terrified he is of said dragon attacks.

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Ooh, linky? I like the sound of that.

• Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/23906 This is what she's referring to.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    Ok I just bought Hearthfire. I'd like to buy the Morthal house, but the steward wont sell me it.

Has anyone run into this before? I've followed what the wiki says you need to do in order to unlock the purchase option, but so far nothing.

• Options
    PersonfacePersonface HAIL GAY SATANRegistered User regular
    Good thing i'm too fucking cool to make up a story in this fantasy game, what LOSERS pfffftttt *Detonates into shower of red mist, cheering*

• Options
    PersonfacePersonface HAIL GAY SATANRegistered User regular
    Seriously I don't fucking understand you if you think you are superior to other players because you don't have a backstory for your character I mean
    What
    You are already engaging in an act of pure escapism, pretending that you are somehow still detached enough to not REALLY engage with it on that level, and that that makes you COOLER is just dumb. If you weren't willing to commit to a ROLE PLAYING GAME then why even indulge in the setting in any case?

• Options
    just by posting here I have already integrated you into my own character's backstory

none shall escape

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    They're just mad nobody's made a skateboard and sunglasses mod, yet

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Has anyone tried using Dragons Diversified

Some dragons sound neat, but others sound overpowered.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    overpowered

in the elder scrolls

please

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Personface wrote: »
    Seriously I don't fucking understand you if you think you are superior to other players because you don't have a backstory for your character I mean
    What
    You are already engaging in an act of pure escapism, pretending that you are somehow still detached enough to not REALLY engage with it on that level, and that that makes you COOLER is just dumb. If you weren't willing to commit to a ROLE PLAYING GAME then why even indulge in the setting in any case?

I'm not sure who you're responding to but I hope it's not me! Because I was just having a bit of fun and didn't mean to act superior or demeaning in any way. I uh, I don't think anyone else did, either! Maybe you're reading a bit too much into it. Roleplaying is cool, backstories be fine. People who prefer not to create backstories are also fine!

• Options
    god damn it I wish I knew a physics programmer with some spare time. I want to make a dirtbike mod so fucking bad.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Personface wrote: »
    What

I don't think anyone's saying that. I was just being a smartass, doing a thing.

sig.gif
  • Options
    though for real

think of how many rotations you could get off the throat of the world

3600°? 3780°?

fus rad, dogg

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    i'm confused

did simben even make a backstory

because that just seems to be the first 5 minutes of the game

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Well that was the joke he was making

• Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    i'm confused

did simben even make a backstory

because that just seems to be the first 5 minutes of the game

That was the joke. "The thing".

sig.gif
  • Options
    It's dead now though

• Options
    It's dead now though

well it never should have come here

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Hey guys check out the origin of my character
    it's just the generic origin the game gives you!

haha man

sig.gif
  • Options
    Yeah Precious is right

sig.gif
  • Options
    Wow SimBen I think that's kind of offensive to people who enjoy roleplaying, don't be a dick

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Go cry into your body pillows, nerds.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.