As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Remember, Remember the Sixth of November [2012 Presidential Election Thread]

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Orc used to befuddle me, but I kinda chuckle now at how silly it all is.

I know I shouldn't feed the trolls, but I can't help but think he circled the globe from retarded to funny.

God help me.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Does anyone have links to the debunking of the "Obama wants to restrict Military Voting in Ohio" stuff.

It just started showing up on my facebook.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    And for anyone that says "the judiciary!" look no further than the Judge in PA that upheld their ridiculous voter laws in the face of no actual fraud and millions about to be disenfranchised.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    -Sigh-

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    -Sigh-

Your sig is perfect for this phase of the thread's lifecycle.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I know you're a former republican and you don't think they will destroy the country, but GWB's presidency and the 2010 state governments really say "No they are as bad as we make them out to be." This is not a party of normal governance or sanity any longer. Anyone who isn't afraid of the current GOP getting into power is not paying attention.

Anyone who isn't a white male in a romney presidency would be in a world of hurt.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SerukoSeruko Ferocious Kitten of The Farthest NorthRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Does anyone have links to the debunking of the "Obama wants to restrict Military Voting in Ohio" stuff.

It just started showing up on my facebook.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-08-15/obama-campaign-asks-court-to-equalize-ohio-early-voting-laws
    noted liberal rag bloomberg news and the suit itself
    http://electionlawblog.org/wp-content/uploads/OFA-Complaint-as-Filed.pdf

"How are you going to play Dota if your fingers and bitten off? You can't. That's how" -> Carnarvon
    "You can be yodeling bear without spending a dime if you get lucky." -> reVerse
    "In the grim darkness of the future, we will all be nurses catering to the whims of terrible old people." -> Hacksaw
    "In fact, our whole society will be oriented around caring for one very decrepit, very old man on total life support." -> SKFM
    I mean, the first time I met a non-white person was when this Vietnamese kid tried to break my legs but that was entirely fair because he was a centreback, not because he was a subhuman beast in some zoo ->yotes
  • Options
    Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Brutal J wrote: »
    SammyF wrote: »
    Think he was asking about the "if we ever have elections again" bit.

Correct sir.

A Mitt Romney win at this point would pretty much prove elections can be bought wholesale. Hard to say we'll ever have a real election again if that's true.

It really, really wouldn't and it really really isn't.

Why would it not? Romney lies daily about everything, and only hope in this race is because of CU, if he wins it proves canidate does not matter, truth does not matter, money and money alone matters.

And sadly Palin is not a false flag operation, her kids hateful attitudes prove she's the real deal.

Nope. He could win because people are fucking stupid and blame Obama for the bad economy. He could win if Europe collapses and drags us into recession. He could win because people are racist shits. He could win because liberals are stay home because the perfect is the enemy of the good.

There are many reasons Romney could win that have nothing to do with citizens; you people need some goddamn perspective sometimes.

I'm not seriously arguing the point that the entire political process is dead if Romney wins, but I'm not going to say the viewpoint is entirely invalid either. Yes, there are lots of reasons Romney could win, but there are more that tell me he should be getting Mondale'd. The fact he probably won't be is disappointing, and the media and super PACs will be the most to blame.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I know you're a former republican and you don't think they will destroy the country, but GWB's presidency and the 2010 state governments really say "No they are as bad as we make them out to be." This is not a party of normal governance or sanity any longer. Anyone who isn't afraid of the current GOP getting into power is not paying attention.

Anyone who isn't a white male in a romney presidency would be in a world of hurt.

Being a former Republican has fuck all to do with this.

Certainly letting the GOP get its way would be fucking horrible and set minority rights back a couple decades, but it isn't the END OF DEMOCRACY ERR MEERH GERRD.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    HuuHuu Registered User regular

Certainly letting the GOP get its way would be fucking horrible and set minority rights back a couple decades, but it isn't the END OF DEMOCRACY ERR MEERH GERRD.

Active voter repression is pretty much the definition of the end of democracy.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Correct sir.

A Mitt Romney win at this point would pretty much prove elections can be bought wholesale. Hard to say we'll ever have a real election again if that's true.

Why would it not? Romney lies daily about everything, and only hope in this race is because of CU, if he wins it proves canidate does not matter, truth does not matter, money and money alone matters.

And sadly Palin is not a false flag operation, her kids hateful attitudes prove she's the real deal.

I disagree that a Romney win would mean the political process is dead. I think Romney winning would be a testament to how set in their ways conservative voters are more than it would anything about money.

I dunno honestly, look at what republican state governments have done to voters rights since 2010 (and abortion rights for that matter) imagine the damage they could do while holdng the federal government reigns at the same time. I don't think its that far fetched to believe that in a Romney presidency that voting would become a priveledge.

Even in a worst case scenario where Romney wins and the GOP takes both houses AND enough liberal justices step down for the court to become reliably conservative, they still won't be able to fundamentally change how voting works in America. We might see a concerted effort at the state levels to pass voter ID laws with no federal response, but nothing close to actual disenfranchisement. There is no way that a Romney presidency results in only land holders voting or anything like that.

• Options
    This is just chicken little, hyperbolic bullshit.

You're all better than this.

If you can't realize there's more than citizens at work in this election you're as deluded as that guy who thinks Obama's transcripts will prove he's Hitler.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Correct sir.

I disagree that a Romney win would mean the political process is dead. I think Romney winning would be a testament to how set in their ways conservative voters are more than it would anything about money.

I dunno honestly, look at what republican state governments have done to voters rights since 2010 (and abortion rights for that matter) imagine the damage they could do while holdng the federal government reigns at the same time. I don't think its that far fetched to believe that in a Romney presidency that voting would become a priveledge.

Even in a worst case scenario where Romney wins and the GOP takes both houses AND enough liberal justices step down for the court to become reliably conservative, they still won't be able to fundamentally change how voting works in America. We might see a concerted effort at the state levels to pass voter ID laws with no federal response, but nothing close to actual disenfranchisement. There is no way that a Romney presidency results in only land holders voting or anything like that.

We're already seeing actual disenfranchisement. That's the stated goal in Pennsylvania.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Huu wrote: »

It's a wound to the process that can be healed just as quickly as it is implemented. Just takes this country to step up and right the wrong. That's the thing about democracy... The people.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options

It's a wound to the process that can be healed just as quickly as it is implemented. Just takes this country to step up and right the wrong. That's the thing about democracy... The people.

Except when the people who are pro-voting rights can't vote...

• Options

Except when the people who are pro-voting rights can't vote...

Save an alien invasion changing the rules of the world entirely, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Correct sir.

We're already seeing actual disenfranchisement. That's the stated goal in Pennsylvania.

What? Even if some people are not informed and so don't get a photo ID before this election, they will certainly have time before the next election. We could pass a voter ID law on a national level the day before the election, and while it would impact results for this one election, it would not disenfranchise anyone long term.

• Options
    Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    I'm not really entirely convinced that the voter ID laws* will have that major an impact on elections to the point where the pendulum won't naturally swing back and oust the current Republican Governors and the laws get changed or the people adapt.

I worry more of the influx of money and how it may prevent that natural swinging pendulum from moving out of a position that would be disastrous for the country.

*The voter ID laws are pretty awful, don't get me wrong.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I think money and redistricting can slow the swing of the pendulum considerably, but as the GOPs positions on individual rights and ineptitude in governance grows more fetid, it will fail to stop it entirely.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    The bigger problem beyond "omg so easy to get voter IDs" (it's actually not) would be the loss of the VRA to conservative votes.

Minorities would be fucked.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options

Correct sir.

What? Even if some people are not informed and so don't get a photo ID before this election, they will certainly have time before the next election. We could pass a voter ID law on a national level the day before the election, and while it would impact results for this one election, it would not disenfranchise anyone long term.

Not if they don't have the right documentation anymore!

For example, a woman who changed her name from her birth name due to, I don't know, marriage.

• Options
    edited August 2012

Correct sir.

For example, a woman who changed her name from her birth name due to, I don't know, marriage.

You are contending that 4 years is not enough time for some people to not get a photo ID?

spacekungfuman on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    I have no problem with voter ID laws if they provide a free ID well ahead of the election, like PA's law does.

I'm much more worried about the scummy "shared felon list" that some southern states use and abuse.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options

Correct sir.

Marriage certificates exist for a reason.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Aren't most photo IDs just state ID cards, permits, or driver's licenses? While there will be no doubt a reduction of voters because of this law, I know the Obama campaign and others have been working hard to make sure people know in those states to have photo ID of the right kind whent hey go voting.

• Options

Correct sir.

You are contending that 4 years is not enough time for some people to not get a photo ID?

The only way voter id is a good idea is if you can guarantee 100% saturation of IDs.

If you can't, they can take a flying leap.

Related, but not directed at SKFM
    Funny how conservatives don't care about restricting the right to vote, but they shit their pants at anyone looking crosseyed at gun rights.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    How many instances of exclusions are justifiable

Surely the id legislators should have to prove they are going to exclude fewer people than commit fraud

Only after that mathematical conversation should a philosophical one be had

• Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    Aren't most photo IDs just state ID cards, permits, or driver's licenses? While there will be no doubt a reduction of voters because of this law, I know the Obama campaign and others have been working hard to make sure people know in those states to have photo ID of the right kind whent hey go voting.

How nice for the opposing party that one side now has to spend money educating the public on these new requirements

• Options
    I'm not keen on voter ID but is it really that hard and expensive to get a state issued ID at a DMV?

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    If you're poor enough, $20-30 and an afternoon lost (which might result in losing your job) to go to the DMV is not an option.

• Options
    Not to mention that in PA (at least) most of the people determining if the ID's are valid are republican...

"Oh I see you brought your driver's license, your marriage certificate, your Birth Certificate. And I see you are a registered Democrat. Well... sorry but you can't vote. You didn't bring the long form BC... oh you did that as well? Well no, sorry, still can't vote, your BC doesn't look like mine.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I have never understood the vitriol that comes from voter ID. Probably because in Canada, we need picture ID to vote, though it can be anything government issued, like a drivers license or passport.

Otherwise... what's the issue? If it gets sprung on you a week before you vote, then yeah that's a big problem. And they should be reasonably priced, or even free if possible. But if you know now that you're going to need a special ID to vote... maybe you should get off your rump today and take care of it.

Making it needlessly stupid and difficult to get the ID, that I get. The ID in and of itself though... it seems like perfect sense to me.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Tarantio wrote: »
    never die wrote: »

How nice for the opposing party that one side now has to spend money educating the public on these new requirements

I'm not saying its right, just that people are working hard to negate the bs that has happened.

What I am curious about, being a college student in IN who is a registered voter, how will photo ID requirements affect absentee voting?

• Options
    I have never understood the vitriol that comes from voter ID. Probably because in Canada, we need picture ID to vote, though it can be anything government issued, like a drivers license or passport.

Otherwise... what's the issue? If it gets sprung on you a week before you vote, then yeah that's a big problem. And they should be reasonably priced, or even free if possible. But if you know now that you're going to need a special ID to vote... maybe you should get off your rump today and take care of it.

Making it needlessly stupid and difficult to get the ID, that I get. The ID in and of itself though... it seems like perfect sense to me.

Well, a big point is that it is completely unnecessary. I can't speak for Canada, but there is absolutely no proof that voter ID laws solves any kind of problem in US elections. The very few instances of voter fraud that is detected each election wouldn't have been stopped by voter ID laws.

So you have a "solution" that disenfranchises a lot of people and solves no problem. Not to mention that to make the voter ID laws constitutional the state have to provide ID's for free (which will be paid by tax revenue that could have been spent on much better things, like infrastructure and/or education)

Oh, and did I mention the large amount of American who stand to be disenfranchised for no reason whatsoever?
    http://www.brennancenter.org/content/resource/the_challenge_of_obtaining_voter_identification/

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    So someone on twitter pointed out an amusing anagram for "Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan"
    CF7rS.gif

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular

because you're canadian, you don't see all the games being played with blocking voters

for example felon lists

oh your name is john smith? Just like john smith the felon, from three states over? You're probably him. no vote for you!

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited August 2012

because you're canadian, you don't see all the games being played with blocking voters

for example felon lists

oh your name is john smith? Just like john smith the felon, from three states over? You're probably him. no vote for you!

Also, you don't have to have photo ID to vote in Canada. It's photo ID, 2 pieces of ID, one of which with your address, or swear an oath and have someone vouch for you.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    it also has to do with GOP attitude flip flops

like until turnout mattered in an election, my dad thought any push for federal ID cards were a sign of Orwell coming true and a symptom of why we might need to move to the hills one day, and part of the movement to create a database to take our guns.

now he thinks they are required to keep illegals from voting

cause you know how those illegals flock to government buildings.
    when you are registering for welfare and all you want to vote while there

wouldn't want to have to walk past the ice/fbi offices twice

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    And as I recall in Canada the only people of age who can't vote are people convicted of election tampering or voter fraud.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Posted this in retort to lack of evidence on Paul Ryan's deep yearning to gut our transportation system despite making $Texas from it.
    Crossposting it here.

http://redgreenandblue.org/2012/08/14/paul-ryans-fortune-comes-from-the-infrastructure-spending-that-paul-ryan-wants-to-slash/

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/08/14/689581/ryan-undermine-infrastructure/?mobile=nc

http://grist.org/politics/picking-ryan-means-picking-a-fight-on-transportation/

http://votesmart.org/candidate/key-votes/26344/paul-ryan/64/transportation-issues

April 2, 2004 HR 3550 Highway Trust Fund Bill Bill Passed - House (357 - 65) Nay
    June 14, 2006 HR 5576 Transportation, Treasury and Housing Appropriations Act Bill Passed - House (406 - 22) Nay
    June 29, 2006 HR 5672 Commerce Department Appropriations Bill FY 2006 Bill Passed - House (393 - 23) Nay
    Nov. 14, 2007 HR 3074 Appropriations for the Department of Transportation and the Department of Housing and Urban Development Conference Report Adopted - House (270 - 147) Nay
    Dec. 6, 2007 HR 6 Energy Act of 2007 Concurrence Vote Passed - House(235 - 181) Nay
    June 11, 2008 HR 6003 Amtrak Reauthorization Bill Passed - House (311 - 104) Nay
    June 26, 2008 HR 6052 Public Transportation and Alternative Fuel Grants Bill Passed - House (322 - 98) Nay
    July 24, 2008 HR 3999 National Highway Bridge Reconstruction and Inspection Act Bill Passed - House (367 - 55) Nay
    Dec. 16, 2009 HR 2847 Employment, Infrastructure, and Transportation Appropriations Concurrence Vote Passed - House (217 - 212) Nay

Paul Ryan's Statement In The 2013 Budget Proposal
    In the first two years of the Obama administration, funding for the Department of Transportation grew by 24 percent — and that doesn’t count the stimulus spike, which nearly doubled transportation spending in one year. The mechanisms of federal highway and transit spending have become distorted, leading to imprudent, irresponsible, and often downright wasteful spending. Further, however worthy some highway projects might be, their capacity as job creators has been vastly oversold, as demonstrated by the extravagant but unfulfilled promises that accompanied the 2009 stimulus bill, particularly with regard to high-speed rail.

This discussion has been closed.