As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2]New thread before bed. Go post in it when your not busy PLAYING!

• Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    Critical Acclaim

A PvE build designed to crit over 50% of the time, and with a controlled weapon swap nail a high damage kill shot with Eviscerate. The greatsword uses Sigil of Rage to help finish 100 Blades combos quickly OR to pop it as soon as you note the quickness proc. That's why I forgo the stance that makes you a glass cannon: you can gain quickness a couple of ways. Every 90 seconds or on 10% of critical hits.

The choice of offhand sword instead of shield is simply to do more damage versus being passive and blocking.

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    @Fairchild: You... are reading it in English, right?

• Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    I am fairly sure that many people from this folder are pounding the login button now.

can't talk

busy clicking login

zippity doo dah?

am I doing that right?

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    So what's the general strategy about Traits, is it preferable to put all your points into one tree to max out the effects or spread around the love more evenly ?

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    @REG Rysk: That build looks delicious.

@Fairchild: For sPvP traits have far less impact on overall attributes than your amulet. I select major traits I want and work around those. There's nothing stopping you traiting for toughness and vitality then throwing in an amulet with ++precision.

Huggles on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    So what's the general strategy about Traits, is it preferable to put all your points into one tree to max out the effects or spread around the love more evenly ?

You get 70 points total, which lets you max two trees (30 points) and then have 10 points left.

I tend to max one tree and go 20 points into two others.

• Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    ...or maybe this, giving me a 25% movement bonus in Air aspect, going up to 50% if I've stayed in Air for 50 seconds. (If stacking movement bonus from traits is additive, that is)

So much fun stuff!

Echo you're missing weapon and armor runes, plus one amulet and jewel.

Crit chance seems really low for max Precision...18%?

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular

It all depends on how you want to build your character.
    There's not really an answer to your question other than that.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    REG Rysk wrote: »

48%.

• Options
    @Echo yeah adding the Rampager's Amulet and jewel boosts crit chance from 18% -> 62%

I then added for you the Rune of Flame Legion to pair with your BURNINATING style of setting people on fire and making that last longer/deal more damage.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    The thing is, crit gives diminishing returns for Burn - Burn stacks in duration, not intensity, so at a certain point I probably want more condition damage instead.

But that's something I'll let the theorycrafters work on.

edit: oh yeah, Flame Legion is better than Elementalist runes, since I'll keep stuff burning anyway with that high crit chance.

Echo on
  • Options

48%.

Negative. What you linked is 18% critical chance and +30% critical damage.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    The thing is, crit gives diminishing returns for Burn - Burn stacks in duration, not intensity, so at a certain point I probably want more condition damage instead.

But that's something I'll let the theorycrafters work on.

edit: oh yeah, Flame Legion is better than Elementalist runes, since I'll keep stuff burning anyway with that high crit chance.

I think that burn has very low condition damage scaling too, doesn't it?
    Or am I wrong?

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    So dyes, currently they ARE sellable on the TP, correct?

And the are specific to CHARACTER not ACCOUNT??

Yes. Identifying a dye won't make it soulbound, so you can sell it on the TP, and what's nice is that they give you a preview of the color when you hover over it in your inventory. I'm not 100% sure if you can preview the dye on an actual piece of armor, though.

Excellent... so cooking for dyes should be a good source of money.... mwahahaha...

• Options
    Rabid amulet with a berzerker's jewel would give you ~50% crit chance and +800 condition damage but, like, zero extra health. Zerker amulet gives a chunt of hp (like 3k) to your max for some survivability. 11k hp is next to minimum.

• Options
    ...86% crit with Rampager's Amulet? Eh, I think I'll manage with 48% from Carrion Amulet.

• Options
    Yeah @Echo, that's 18% crit rate with +30% crit damage, not 48% crit rate in the original build you posted.

• Options
    I know. I had no gear on that build. It's 48% with it.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    :^:

Derp.

Huggles on
  • Options
    I'm really not seeing these numbers. I plop the same gear in there and I'm getting no change from 18%.

'Tis all theorycrafting, but your numbers just seem wrong.

Carrion looks like a good fit if you can keep your crit rate up, since it seems like you plan to be in Air quite a bit more than Fire and you're relying on the crits.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Probably going at that build the wrong way - the burning is just a bonus; it's the "60% chance to cause Vulnerability on crit" that's the real gem there.

edit: fresh build with gear

Echo on
  • Options
    Dirty DrawersDirty Drawers Lord of the undie world Registered User regular
    Sooo now I"m thinking of joining the dark side and going from Engineer to thief. Watched gamebreakertv and a few thief videos and they pretty much tear up everything that goes up against them 1v1 in spvp, which would make a great roamer.

Maybe I should stick it out with Engineer, but thief looks so enticing.

Fools shall not be pitied.
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I agree with Echo on crit. There's a very steep diminishing return after you get past 50%.

It's hardly worth pushing the chances up much higher than that unless everything in your build is relying on crit to proc and even then I'm not too convinced that pushing it up past 50% is worth it.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Critical Acclaim

A PvE build designed to crit over 50% of the time, and with a controlled weapon swap nail a high damage kill shot with Eviscerate. The greatsword uses Sigil of Rage to help finish 100 Blades combos quickly OR to pop it as soon as you note the quickness proc. That's why I forgo the stance that makes you a glass cannon: you can gain quickness a couple of ways. Every 90 seconds or on 10% of critical hits.

The choice of offhand sword instead of shield is simply to do more damage versus being passive and blocking.

@REG Rysk That is similar to my crit-based warrior build

I like them both!

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Voro wrote: »
    Vorpal wrote: »
    Can we put the (presumed) actual launch time (3 am EST Saturday Aug 25th?) into the OP as well?

People are sure to have questions about when they need to start hitting the login button :)

Well, you start hitting the login button three hours earlier than that, because they said the servers could be up that early.

Edit: For those who didn't know about the servers going up early:
    However, please note that in order to ensure that we’re fully prepared for that fateful hour we may bring servers online up to 3 hours prior.
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-final-countdown-guild-wars-2-launch-times/

Scheduled Prepurchase Headstart Launch
    Midnight PDT between 8/24 & 8/25
    3 AM EDT on 8/25
    8 AM BST on 8/25
    7 AM GMT/UTC on 8/25

Best Case Scenario
    9 PM PDT on 8/24
    Midnight EDT between 8/24 & 8/25
    5 AM BST on 8/25
    4 AM GMT/UTC on 8/25

I'd scratch GMT since it's only relevant to Iceland and west Africa
    Might confuse people

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    You only get one of those jewels @Echo , so you will drop to about 62% crit chance. Still over 14k hp, added condition damage. Looks really solid. I'd use it in a damage focused PvE build for sure. :D

• Options
    You only get one of those jewels @Echo , so you will drop to about 62% crit chance.

Ah, thought it seemed too good to be true. :P

• Options
    Sooo now I"m thinking of joining the dark side and going from Engineer to thief. Watched gamebreakertv and a few thief videos and they pretty much tear up everything that goes up against them 1v1 in spvp, which would make a great roamer.

Thief is so fun.
    Oh god Thief is so fun.

I love my Thief.

Did I mention how fun he is?

I love playing him!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    You can add 2 hours to that GMT launch time for most of Europe, we're on CEST right now.

Echo on
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Engineers are better.

whirlybirds

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    You guys are all doing it wrong. Ill drop another hint.
    Unauthorized access.. Kill the intruder..
    grizwhirl

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Minor bit of news. Apparently you can change your GW2 account login e-mail now at: https://account.guildwars2.com/account

It also changes your GW1 account name/e-mail if your accounts are linked.

Word is we should be able to change display names (________.####) in the future.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Enig wrote: »
    Minor bit of news. Apparently you can change your GW2 account login e-mail now at: https://account.guildwars2.com/account

Word is we should be able to change display names (________.####) in the future.

Thank god. The e-mail my account used to be linked to was a yahoo account, and probably not very secure.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    Voro wrote: »
    Vorpal wrote: »
    Can we put the (presumed) actual launch time (3 am EST Saturday Aug 25th?) into the OP as well?

People are sure to have questions about when they need to start hitting the login button :)

Well, you start hitting the login button three hours earlier than that, because they said the servers could be up that early.

Edit: For those who didn't know about the servers going up early:
    However, please note that in order to ensure that we’re fully prepared for that fateful hour we may bring servers online up to 3 hours prior.
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-final-countdown-guild-wars-2-launch-times/

Scheduled Prepurchase Headstart Launch
    Midnight PDT between 8/24 & 8/25
    3 AM EDT on 8/25
    8 AM BST on 8/25
    7 AM GMT/UTC on 8/25

Best Case Scenario
    9 PM PDT on 8/24
    Midnight EDT between 8/24 & 8/25
    5 AM BST on 8/25
    4 AM GMT/UTC on 8/25

I'd scratch GMT since it's only relevant to Iceland and west Africa
    Might confuse people

Eh, GMT/UTC is there because it's easier for people who know their offset. It's also there so people realize Britain isn't currently on GMT and don't just try to add their offset to it. It can't be any more confusing than the people throwing around EST and PST.

XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    When I am God-Emperor of Time and Space and Other Stuff, I'm making the earth flat and abolishing time zones.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Enig wrote: »

Thank god. The e-mail my account used to be linked to was a yahoo account, and probably not very secure.

double thank god

• Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    When I am God-Emperor of Time and Space and Other Stuff, I'm making the earth flat and abolishing time zones.
    Thank you. For a while I started enforcing a guild specific time because nobody could add and subtract a few hours for raid time. It used hieroglyphics. Tonight we raid at feather, Sunday will be snake, squiggle on Monday if needed.

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular

I had a pistol elixir build that murdered everything 1v1. Was able to win quite a few 2v1 as well. I link it in the last thread.

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    I have a spec that once killed a dude in PvP. Then I took a point with it!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
This discussion has been closed.