Options

Ralph Nader Appreciation Thread [Cars]

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Well I mean its a truck, so its front heavy when unloaded, and something like the ridge line is only going to have a rated bed capacity of something like 1000 pounds (I couldn't find it on the website), so front wheel drive should be just fine most of the time. It also has optional AWD if your serious about hauling shit around and using it as a truck.

I still think they should have kept it as a multifunction vehicle like the 1st gen, just with refreshed tech. Seats 5 like a civic and I can haul shit around occasionally? Yes please.

That's called a Ranger, Amarok, or Hilux.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Alternatively, if I wanted a car based truckish thing

Holden HSV Ute

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Well I mean its a truck, so its front heavy when unloaded, and something like the ridge line is only going to have a rated bed capacity of something like 1000 pounds (I couldn't find it on the website), so front wheel drive should be just fine most of the time. It also has optional AWD if your serious about hauling shit around and using it as a truck.

I still think they should have kept it as a multifunction vehicle like the 1st gen, just with refreshed tech. Seats 5 like a civic and I can haul shit around occasionally? Yes please.

If I could get ANY of those in the US I would be all over them. My current Fav is the Chevy Colorado Diesel. So damned expensive though. You're looking at $40000 US for a decently kitted out version.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Look just tell me who I have to kill to get an Amarok in the US and I will. Multiple people even. Women. Children. I don't care what it takes.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited August 2016

That reminds me of an interesting story - the US military is looking into technicals:
    The U.S. Special Operations Command (SOCOM) has placed an order for militarized Toyota Land Cruisers, Hiluxes and Ford Rangers to use as low-profile but battle-survivable field vehicles. That’s provided the prototypes pass muster in military evaluations, of course.

Defense contractor Battelle of Columbus, Ohio has been awarded up to $170 million to build “as many as 556 vehicles—396 armored and 160 unarmored—with most of them consisting of the Toyota Land Cruiser models 76 and 79,” Military Aerospace reports.

That would be the beloved and boxy “70 Series” in SUV and pickup-truck form.

Battelle’s press release says they’ll also be preparing Toyota Hilux and Ford Ranger pickups for military use, all of which will be designed to look like regular trucks.

Underneath the stock-apperance exterior, the 4x4s will have various configurations of armoring, upgraded suspension, brakes, reinforcements to the body and frame, infrared lighting, night vision, military communications and recon equipment (C4ISR), a “blackout mode” that presumably kills all lights, and “tires designed to survive enemy small-arms fire.”

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    I rather like the new Ford Ranger, as per the MCM "review" they filmed. It makes me sad that it isn't available in North America.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea there are a ton of light trucks available to the rest of the world that we're never going to see, or it'll be 25 years till people start importing them.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Huh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax
    As an unintended consequence several importers of light trucks have circumvented the tariff via loopholes—including Ford (ostensibly a company that the tax was designed to protect), which imports the Transit Connect light trucks as "passenger vehicles" to the U.S. from Turkey and immediately strips and shreds portions of their interiors, such as installed rear seats, in a warehouse outside Baltimore.

Edit: I found this while trying to establish if the Mitsubishi L200 is sold in the states (it isn't)

FBM7Smzl.jpg

japan on
  • Options
    And we don't have such a tax in Canada. We're just too damn close to the Americans and too small a market to bother with catering to specifically.

So yeah thanks America.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Decius wrote: »
    And we don't have such a tax in Canada. We're just too damn close to the Americans and too small a market to bother with catering to specifically.

So yeah thanks America.

The Canadian car market is smaller than the Australian car market?

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

So yeah thanks America.

Probably more to do with the US being RIGHT THERE than actual market size.

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »

So yeah thanks America.

Actually, probably has more to do with Australia being RIGHT THERE next to Japan, and both being right hand drive. A lot of money would go into making a vehicle left hand drive for Canada, and when you can't also sell in the US too, is it really worth it?

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

So yeah thanks America.

Actually, probably has more to do with Australia being RIGHT THERE next to Japan, and both being right hand drive. A lot of money would go into making a vehicle left hand drive for Canada, and when you can't also sell in the US too, is it really worth it?

Well, mainland Europe is left hand drive, too

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Huh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax
    As an unintended consequence several importers of light trucks have circumvented the tariff via loopholes—including Ford (ostensibly a company that the tax was designed to protect), which imports the Transit Connect light trucks as "passenger vehicles" to the U.S. from Turkey and immediately strips and shreds portions of their interiors, such as installed rear seats, in a warehouse outside Baltimore.

Edit: I found this while trying to establish if the Mitsubishi L200 is sold in the states (it isn't)

FBM7Smzl.jpg

Is the growth on the back of that a removable bed cover, or... like, is the elephantiasisish styling intended?

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    I rather like the new Ford Ranger, as per the MCM "review" they filmed. It makes me sad that it isn't available in North America.

http://www.chron.com/cars/news/article/Report-The-Ford-Ranger-is-coming-back-in-2019-7631400.php#photo-1368023

The 2019 Ranger is supposed to be returning to the US. Nothing confirmed yet, but lots of smoke.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure Ford has been carefully watching Colorado/Canyon sales to see if they should jump in with the Ranger, and all indications are that those trucks are doing well.

• Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    redx wrote: »
    FBM7Smzl.jpg

Is the growth on the back of that a removable bed cover, or... like, is the elephantiasisish styling intended?

Somebody drew that, put it down on a piece of paper, looked at it and said "Mmm... yeah."

Zerocz on
  • Options
    It's a removable bed cover

You can't really carry stuff in a pickup in the UK without one

• Options
    The Mitsubishi Triton is NOT an attractive vehicle. The Ranger, Amarok, Colorado, BT-50, DMAX, Navara, hell basically every other ute on the market looks way better.

• Options
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

So yeah thanks America.

Well, mainland Europe is left hand drive, too

And there are plenty of other places where these utes are sold that are left hand drive, the Middle East, many African nations, various countries across Asia...

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    While I was replacing a caliper I accidentally let the brake master cylinder go dry. So that's a thing now.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    e: whoops

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    e: whoops

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Filed under "things that make you go (sob)".

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    No jury would convict.....

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I'm trying to imagine how one ends up at that angle while parallel parking...

And I'm not coming up with much.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I can't even comprehend how that happened, there's so much room in front of that Ferrari.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    I can't even comprehend how that happened, there's so much room in front of that Ferrari.

I'm guessing she was actually trying to pull out and just had 1st and reverse messed up.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I'm trying to imagine how one ends up at that angle while parallel parking...

And I'm not coming up with much.

She tried to drive forward off of it, apparently. Something to do with that maybe.

redx on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    That'll teach you to park a Ferrari on the side of a street.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    https://youtu.be/hoxqtnI4I4c

https://youtu.be/wxukemJYNpM

The end of that gave me flashbacks. Because the car I learned to drive in was an 87 Plymouth Horizon.

...I didn't say they were good flashbacks.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    My first job was food services at dorney park.

It's an amusement park where... Ughhh...

Fuck...

Like Hairspray was filmed there.

Edit: fuck, I can't awesome and agree with the other cruiser review.

Edit 2: wow, i say fuck a lot when reminded of my roots.

Edit 3: fuck.

Edit 4: edit 3 was a fake edit.

redx on
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Just sort of... Ok... I kinda did just eat a bunch... A lot... of mushrooms.

And I grew up in PA, which the PT cruiser thing kinda rips on a little too accurately.

And spent a while in shitty cars.

But, that's... Like... If I could make everyone watch that so they got the joke, would consider owning a pt cruiser instead of my current fucking Fiat 500

I need to think about my life choices.

Edit: holy fuck he's doing the voice over with the owner standing next to him.

Edit 2: wow i say fuck a lot.

redx on
  • Options
    Yeah Regular Cars does some rather specific PA humour. Not being from there I don't get some of it, but I laugh sympathetically. It's a Canadian thing.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    P90230171_highRes_bmw-2002-hommage-08-.jpg

Now they just need to make a production model.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Buy a $200k 1937 Rolls Royce Phantom III.

Tow it with a Range Rover not rated for the combined car + trailer weight.

Or equipped with an anti-sway hitch.

http://www.heeze24.nl/home/artikel/7106/Rolls-Royce-uit-1937-total-loss-na-ongeval-Leende-video#1

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

http://www.heeze24.nl/home/artikel/7106/Rolls-Royce-uit-1937-total-loss-na-ongeval-Leende-video#1

Oh God, that's painful to look at. :eek:

• Options

If you send your fucked-up Rolls Royce to them, they will restore it to concourse condition.

It'd cost a LOT more than USD$200k, though...

• Options
    I contacted my old mechanic to do some work for me when I next travel south. I live in Yellowknife and a basic servicing is, like, $200 up here, so if I'm going to be in Calgary I usually get the mechanic I used while I lived there to do the work. I have driving down south in a week. I e-mailed my mechanic two months ago to schedule to work.

What I want done is more than just an oil change, though. New wheels, tires, brakes and exhaust. I picked a Borla stainless exhaust (Finally they have after market parts for the non-turbo 2009 Impreza) to put on. I want the stainless more than I want the performance upgrade, but I figured it would be nice to get both.

Because I'm driving down for a trip I have zero flexibility to my schedule. The car can be unavailable to me for a total of two days. The work has to be done on one or both of those two days. If it can't, then the work can't be done at all. I contacted them that long ago to make sure that everything would be lined up.

Just got word - they tried ordering all the parts TODAY and the exhaust won't be there in time.

So no exhaust upgrade.

I'm super disappointed in that shop. It's a reliable, trustworthy shop, but this is just amateur.

• Options
    Any chance you could call Borla direct and get them to drop-ship it to the mechanic? Explain your dilemma, see if overnight or two day is possible. Then tell the mechanic to deduct the shipping from your total bill because of their fuckup.

nibXTE7.png
This discussion has been closed.