Options

[Industry Thread] is getting better, unlike the Vita's outlook. Read the OP.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    The reviews aren't that terrible though it has the usual complaints about the controls not registering properly, but almost every Kinect title seems to have that problem outside of the dance and fitness games.

The game is also said to use the remnants of Milo.

Couscous on
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I watched mostly video reviews. It seems like a game that would be fun to play with someone else in the room, if that makes sense? But otherwise it's.......well, boring. Which is perfectly what you'd expect out of a rail shooter where you're staring at a horse's butt the whole time (and yes I know they actually did a decent job at the camera on that, so it's not horrible, but still).

It's not actually bad so much as forgettable. Or more like 'skippable'. Or a term to describe 'that sounds interesting but I don't really feel the need to actually play it compared to anything else I could be doing'. It induces apathy. I don't have a good descriptor here!

Edit: And I'll be frank and say kinect games get a lot more criticism from me unless they have stellar implementation. Journey's is middle of the road, but the average isn't great. I'm not saying it's steel battalion bad, no. But I have zero patience for having to do some hand signal multiple times as a regular thing because that's just how it is. I mean the Wii got a lot of flack over the years, but when you used that controller it at least did what it was supposed to most of the time. Too many kinect games either have serious issues with accepting commands, or go the other way and have way too much assisstance from the AI to compensate for that issue.

Astale on
  • Options
    3D? What is this 3D you speak of? I only know of UHDTV.
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/and-so-begins-the-era-of-ultra-high-definition-television/0104887
    The next era of HD TV has been given an official marketing moniker – Ultra High Definition Television, or UHDTV.

The technology has until now been going by the ‘4K’ moniker, owing to the fact that it supports resolution of either 3840x2160 or 4096x2160.

UHDTV boasts four times the resolution of the current 1080p HD standard (1920x1080).

For future TV sets to be able to carry the UHDTV branding they must support a minimum resolution of 3840 x 2160 and have at least one input capable of natively displaying a 4K resolution signal.

UHDTV screens are obviously both rare and insanely expensive at the moment. Which isn’t really a huge problem as finding UHDTV source material is nearly impossible.

But this, of course, will change. Many Hollywood films are already being filmed in UHDTV and Sony recently demoed a version of Gran Turismo 5 running at the resolution.

What the industry will be most anxious about, however, will be whether or not the public will be keener to adopt the new technology than they were 3D, which is nearing “dead in the water” status.
    Chances of Sony trying to use the PS4 to push this?

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    When you're already past the point at which the human eyeball gives a damn, STOP.

Why is this so hard to get?

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    3D? What is this 3D you speak of? I only know of UHDTV.
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/and-so-begins-the-era-of-ultra-high-definition-television/0104887
    The next era of HD TV has been given an official marketing moniker – Ultra High Definition Television, or UHDTV.

The technology has until now been going by the ‘4K’ moniker, owing to the fact that it supports resolution of either 3840x2160 or 4096x2160.

UHDTV boasts four times the resolution of the current 1080p HD standard (1920x1080).

For future TV sets to be able to carry the UHDTV branding they must support a minimum resolution of 3840 x 2160 and have at least one input capable of natively displaying a 4K resolution signal.

UHDTV screens are obviously both rare and insanely expensive at the moment. Which isn’t really a huge problem as finding UHDTV source material is nearly impossible.

But this, of course, will change. Many Hollywood films are already being filmed in UHDTV and Sony recently demoed a version of Gran Turismo 5 running at the resolution.

What the industry will be most anxious about, however, will be whether or not the public will be keener to adopt the new technology than they were 3D, which is nearing “dead in the water” status.
    Chances of Sony trying to use the PS4 to push this?

Oh they plan too, there was another article on the subject I posted some time ago said how the PS4 was to push this format.

But then, did we expect any different with this being sony.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    That's only one letter away from UHGTV.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Astale wrote: »
    When you're already past the point at which the human eyeball gives a damn, STOP.

Why is this so hard to get?

It can still be worth it on big TVs, right? Of course anything past 1080p is going to hit some diminishing returns.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Not everyone has TVs big enough to showcase the difference between 1080p and 720p to the naked eye at the normal viewing distance. Why the hell do we care about 4k televisions outsideof some super-expensive personal home theatre setting with wall-sized TVs? This doesn't even make sense.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    The future is here, thank ye based gods!

I dunno. Regular TVs might eventually be able to take advantage of 4K, since it's mostly dependent on camera technology to capture that high fidelity and the bandwidth to get it delivered to your house, but I'm not so sure it'll be relevant for most console (or even PC) games. The chunky hardware required to push that kind of resolution reliably might very well run into significant fabrication issues, or even a pretty solid technological wall in the form of quantum tunneling, making it unlikely to reach mass consumption.

EDIT:

Also, for home viewing... Wouldn't a good, flat white canvas and a projector supporting 4K be a much cheaper solution in the end? At the kind of panel size 4K becomes really noticeable, wouldn't prices be massively inflated? If I was in the market for a 4K TV, I have a strong suspicion a projector and canvas would be way less expensive, a lot more reliable and requiring significantly less real estate, making it the more desirable option.

Zephiran on
    Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I don't know what kind of humungous screen size you need for 4K to be even approach being reasonable.

This is the stuff they use to project shit on movie screens for crying out loud.

• Options
    Really, they have painted themselves into a corner for when they need to create another standard. Super Ultra High Definition? Pronounced "sud."

In slightly related news, Sony is in a cutting mood.
    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/10/19/sony-is-cutting-2000-jobs-in-japan-via-early-retirement-scheme/
    Sony today announced 2000 planned job cuts in Japan via an "early retirement" scheme. The Next Web reports the layoffs are expected to hit the PlayStation manufacturer's head office the hardest, with 20 percent of the employees there leaving by the end of the year. Sony believes this move is going to save the company 30 billion yen ($378 million) annually from next year onwards.

The move is in line with the expected 10,000 layoffs Sony announced earlier this year. In August, Sony revealed a $312 million loss for Q1 2012, with $45 million lost across its gaming division. Shortly after, Sony closed its Liverpool studio in the UK. Earlier this year, Sony also closed Zipper Interactive.

The company's struggles have also resulted in the closure of its lens factory in Minokamo, where 840 employees are based. Some of the factory's operations are being transferred elsewhere, but not all, so it's unclear how many layoffs the closure will result in.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Really, they have painted themselves into a corner for when they need to create another standard. Super Ultra High Definition? Pronounced "sud."

Vast Definition, pronounced "venereal disease."

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Yeah, I only bought a 3DTV because it was the only way to get a panel of the size/quality I wanted. 0% chance of me ever buying glasses to actually use it.

3D gaming is fucking incredible, you should really give it a go. I've a 3DTV and should hopefully be upgrading my projector to a 3D model early next year.

Then again I'm seemingly one of few people who don't want the technology to fail and actively champion it.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    I don't know what kind of humungous screen size you need for 4K to be even approach being reasonable.

This is the stuff they use to project shit on movie screens for crying out loud.

I play and watch films on a 120" projection screen in 1080p, that's 10 feet diagonal edge to edge. I'm excited for 4K for no other reason other than it's new.

It's enthusiast technology, not mass market. It's not for the family of 5 buying a Vizio at Walmart to play Halo on.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Yeah, I only bought a 3DTV because it was the only way to get a panel of the size/quality I wanted. 0% chance of me ever buying glasses to actually use it.

3D gaming is fucking incredible, you should really give it a go. I've a 3DTV and should hopefully be upgrading my projector to a 3D model early next year.

Then again I'm seemingly one of few people who don't want the technology to fail and actively champion it.

I think it's great too, it's just currently way outside of my price range to have at home. My HDTV is still absolutely fine and having to wear 3D glasses would be a hard sell for regular gaming use (already get frustrated by having to charge up controllers all the time), so I've not even considered buying a 3DTV yet. I don't want it to fail, I just think they've tried to hype it as a big thing before it's anywhere near a price to get it into many homes.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I do have to admit, I saw Avengers in the theater, and then when it was re-released on Labor Day saw it again, this time in 4K.

I seriously was incredibly more impressed than I expected to be. It was like looking out a window.

That said, I do not OWN my own movie screen so I really wouldn't care if it was on my TV.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    The problem is that the TV manufacturers want it to be the next big thing to sell shitloads of expensive TVs.

Is 4k the one where people complain about it looking fake?

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I don't wanna backseat mod, but this TV conversation is probably something that Rorus would find to be poopy.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »

I play and watch films on a 120" projection screen in 1080p, that's 10 feet diagonal edge to edge. I'm excited for 4K for no other reason other than it's new.

It's enthusiast technology, not mass market. It's not for the family of 5 buying a Vizio at Walmart to play Halo on.

Digital projectors do seem like a more suitable application of it, if only because you can blow the size to crazy". So I guess there's that.

Unless you're the type that gets off to absurdly dense pixel densities and the word "retina".

• Options
    Whatever happened to that Playsation 3DTV?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    This thread isn't really about tvs guys

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Nihilistic talks about giving up on consoles:
    Nihilistic Software’s last project, Resistance: Burning Skies, garnered a Metacritic average score of 60%. Its 2011 PlayStation Move Heroes managed 53%. Zombie Apocalypse (2009) pulled in 61%.

Its current project, just wrapped, is Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified. It would be unfair to prejudge this game, but it would also be an abrogation to ignore some of its reported failings at preview stage.

This California-based development studio has spent the last few years slogging away at unloved projects and, with Move and Vita, on marginal platforms. Now the company’s leaders are folding up camp to try their hand at digital games. IGN spoke to CEO Robert Huebner.

He says that the firm was founded 15 years ago with big plans to work on original games and blockbuster franchises. Somewhere along the way, they wound up knocking out Vita games on behalf of publishers that are, naturally, spending much of their attention elsewhere.

“It’s been harder and harder for us to get to our goal. It’s like you’re trying to get onto the freeway, but constantly being diverted. We just realized that the goals we were aiming towards are just not there anymore.”

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/18/nihilistic-why-were-shutting-up-shop

So... their games sucked because they had to work on smaller games instead of big blockbusters? Ooooookay.

Also, I never realized how long Nililistic has sucked.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Shouldn't he have said "yeah our past games suck, but COD is totally going to change that!"

It seems like no-one has conifdence in the game, no-one barely wants to talk about it. It's creation is pretty much going through the motions, just putting in the bare minimum to meet the obligation to sony to produce a COD for the Vita.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    There's a very real danger that the shitty port of COD will just give the Vita an even worse reputation, since it's tied to the most popular game franchise out there. "Man, the Vita can't even do COD well, what a piece of crap."

Speaking of shooties, Wardoer plans to show the lingering results of the war you do.
    The trailer above for Preacher's story shows something of this impact – a man in a hospital bed, a folded flag commemorating the fallen, a wedding band being removed? There's plenty of explosions and guns too, but it's trying convey something of the way in which warfare bruises the lives of those involved.

“It’s more the toll it takes,” says Greg Goodrich, long-time producer of the series. “We’ve been in the longest sustained engagement in the history of our nation and that’s taken a toll.” Prefacing the level that I played was a cutscene in which one of the characters was laid up in bed recovering. His wife is there but there’s an emotional distance between them. She pulls away from him. It’s subtle and painful in a way that doesn’t involve gunfire or shrapnel.

It’s clear from talking with Goodrich how much respect he has for his subject matter. He refers to them as ‘warriors’ – it’s almost a mythical way of describing them. Timeless heroes. “I’ve had the pleasure and the honour of spending a lot of time with not only these guys over the last four or five years, but I’ve met their families and their wives.” He talks of the high divorce rate – higher than the national average – and the extraordinary families that stay together through such extreme conditions. “You want to pay tribute to that because guys are sacrificing and they’re suffering loss, and they’re making real sacrifices.

But as touching and as well-animated as some of these scenes are, there’s an inescapable problem here. You can choose to skip them, returning you to the battle sooner with a gun twitching in your bloodied hands. Surely being able to remove these scenes fundamentally clashes with those core tenets of honour and respect that reside at the core of the series? If you can, with the impatient press of a button, remove this context and elide the consequences, what makes it different from other military shooters?

It’s a problem that Goodrich is all too aware of. “No, I’m with you. But that’s why we do it. That’s why we don’t take the easy way out. It adds a layer of difficulty and a level of complexity not only to tell an authentic story and make a plausible game with authentic weapons and gear and chatter and location, and doing all those things you do to strive for authenticity. Then when you layer on a story and you talk about characters who are inspired by real individuals, you’ve got to do it right.

It’s a special burden, and Goodrich obviously feels that it’s his duty to get it right. Part of getting it right comes from unstitching the stereotypes people inherit from other games. “When we all started, we all started with a stereotypical view of what an operator is – that barrel-chested knuckle-dragger who kicks in doors and shoots bad guys.”

Medal of Honor is striving to make all the deafening gunfire and blinding flashbangs mean something. “If we’ve done our job, people won’t skip through that part and will listen to that story [...] and for a brief moment, when they set that controller down on the table, and lay their head on a pillow at night, they’ll think – gee, there’s some guys overseas doing things on my behalf that gives me the rights and the freedoms and safety to lie my head on my pillow at night and play this video game. If they can think about that just for a moment, we’ve done our job.”

Medal of Honor: Warfighter, despite its on-the-nose title, is trying to approach warfare and the inherent moral ambiguities of turning it into a form digital entertainment with uncynical sensitivity. The harsh reality is that most people will continue to skip those cutscenes, but if Goodrich and his team have delivered, hopefully some people will think twice before plunging back into battle.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/19/warfighter-the-consequences-of-conflict

How was the story of the other Medal of Honors? Is there a possibility these things won't seem awkwardly shoehorned in?

Even if it does work, I get the feeling this will only guarantee this game won't sell anywhere near COD.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    There's a very real danger that the shitty port of COD will just give the Vita an even worse reputation, since it's tied to the most popular game franchise out there. "Man, the Vita can't even do COD well, what a piece of crap."

Speaking of shooties, Wardoer plans to show the lingering results of the war you do.
    The trailer above for Preacher's story shows something of this impact – a man in a hospital bed, a folded flag commemorating the fallen, a wedding band being removed? There's plenty of explosions and guns too, but it's trying convey something of the way in which warfare bruises the lives of those involved.

“It’s more the toll it takes,” says Greg Goodrich, long-time producer of the series. “We’ve been in the longest sustained engagement in the history of our nation and that’s taken a toll.” Prefacing the level that I played was a cutscene in which one of the characters was laid up in bed recovering. His wife is there but there’s an emotional distance between them. She pulls away from him. It’s subtle and painful in a way that doesn’t involve gunfire or shrapnel.

It’s clear from talking with Goodrich how much respect he has for his subject matter. He refers to them as ‘warriors’ – it’s almost a mythical way of describing them. Timeless heroes. “I’ve had the pleasure and the honour of spending a lot of time with not only these guys over the last four or five years, but I’ve met their families and their wives.” He talks of the high divorce rate – higher than the national average – and the extraordinary families that stay together through such extreme conditions. “You want to pay tribute to that because guys are sacrificing and they’re suffering loss, and they’re making real sacrifices.

But as touching and as well-animated as some of these scenes are, there’s an inescapable problem here. You can choose to skip them, returning you to the battle sooner with a gun twitching in your bloodied hands. Surely being able to remove these scenes fundamentally clashes with those core tenets of honour and respect that reside at the core of the series? If you can, with the impatient press of a button, remove this context and elide the consequences, what makes it different from other military shooters?

It’s a problem that Goodrich is all too aware of. “No, I’m with you. But that’s why we do it. That’s why we don’t take the easy way out. It adds a layer of difficulty and a level of complexity not only to tell an authentic story and make a plausible game with authentic weapons and gear and chatter and location, and doing all those things you do to strive for authenticity. Then when you layer on a story and you talk about characters who are inspired by real individuals, you’ve got to do it right.

It’s a special burden, and Goodrich obviously feels that it’s his duty to get it right. Part of getting it right comes from unstitching the stereotypes people inherit from other games. “When we all started, we all started with a stereotypical view of what an operator is – that barrel-chested knuckle-dragger who kicks in doors and shoots bad guys.”

Medal of Honor is striving to make all the deafening gunfire and blinding flashbangs mean something. “If we’ve done our job, people won’t skip through that part and will listen to that story [...] and for a brief moment, when they set that controller down on the table, and lay their head on a pillow at night, they’ll think – gee, there’s some guys overseas doing things on my behalf that gives me the rights and the freedoms and safety to lie my head on my pillow at night and play this video game. If they can think about that just for a moment, we’ve done our job.”

Medal of Honor: Warfighter, despite its on-the-nose title, is trying to approach warfare and the inherent moral ambiguities of turning it into a form digital entertainment with uncynical sensitivity. The harsh reality is that most people will continue to skip those cutscenes, but if Goodrich and his team have delivered, hopefully some people will think twice before plunging back into battle.

How was the story of the other Medal of Honors? Is there a possibility these things won't seem awkwardly shoehorned in?

Even if it does work, I get the feeling this will only guarantee this game won't sell anywhere near COD.

The WWII MoH's were ok. Kind of standard fare for the time. The reboot wasn't awful, as much as I hated playing it, I was interested in finding out what was going to happen next as it ended on a cliffhanger. If they get Wardoer(I love that) any where near the level of Spec Ops in terms of thought provoking, I would consider the game a massive success. I don't think any shooter ever will come close to the awesomeness that Spec Ops attained. Unless Yager outdoes themselves on their next game.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Still need to play Spec Ops and I love the concept of shooters being thought provoking, but Given Wardoer's massive mainstream reach I can't help but worry that the message will be muddled. "War is an utterly brutal, unyielding experience that will give soldiers psychic scars that will never heal for the rest of their days, and may even permanently ruin their lives. Now it's time to go kill your friends in multiplayer! Wheee!"

• Options
    Well, just realized that Spec Ops has multiplayer too... but then I found this gem.
    Spec Ops: The Line lead designer Cory Davis slammed his game's multiplayer in a recent interview, describing it as a "low-quality Call of Duty clone in third-person" and a "waste of money." Davis told The Verge the outsourced mode was just a financially motivated "checkbox" for publisher 2K Games, and that the low number of multiplayer users, coupled with the mode's distinct tone and feel, casts "cancerous" aspersions on the whole game.

Davis revealed 2K insisted on the shooter having multiplayer, but the mode was far from a priority for developer Yager, and went against Davis' vision for the game. Nonetheless, the mode was greenlighted and then outsourced to Darkside Studios. Darkside is a small developer most notable for designing Borderlands' fourth add-on, "Claptrap's New Robot Revolution." Davis is clearly furious with the results.

"It sheds a negative light on all of the meaningful things we did in the single-player experience," Davis said. "The multiplayer game's tone is entirely different, the game mechanics were raped to make it happen, and it was a waste of money. No one is playing it, and I don't even feel like it's part of the overall package. It's another game rammed onto the disk like a cancerous growth, threatening to destroy the best things about the experience that the team at Yager put their heart and souls into creating."

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/29/spec-ops-the-line-dev-brands-games-multiplayer-a-waste-of-mon/

This industry, sweet baby Jeebus.

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    But you have to admire the honesty and the stance. I applaud that. If anything, Spec Ops was a huge surprise for me this year. I'm very glad I played it, and I can honestly say that I 100% never, ever clicked the multiplayer menu option. I got more than my money's worth out of it in 2 play-throughs.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    According to GAF and a Portugese interview* with Capcom, Brazil has overtaken Canada as the second biggest gaming market in the Americas.

*http://jogos.uol.com.br/ultimas-noticias/2012/10/18/para-jogos-da-capcom-mercado-brasileiro-e-o-segundo-maior-nas-americas.htm

So we're going to see more Portugese translations then?
    We already are. I was translator and lead and manager (not project manager, but team manager) on the localization project for World of Warcraft (from classic to Cataclysm then Pandaria), Diablo III and one other game. I left game localization to become an editor at a major book publisher. Sony made a big ass of themselves by hiring a Miami based Brazilian Portuguese VA company to do Uncharted 3. MS's been localizing Halo for a while.

According to the article, Capcom is the one who says Brazil is now #2. Well, we got 200 million people. Of course we were bound to be #2 sooner or later.

I can talk about other factors relevant to this recent growth, if anyone cares to read.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    plufim wrote: »
    Shouldn't he have said "yeah our past games suck, but COD is totally going to change that!"

It seems like no-one has conifdence in the game, no-one barely wants to talk about it. It's creation is pretty much going through the motions, just putting in the bare minimum to meet the obligation to sony to produce a COD for the Vita.

It's a handheld Call of Duty game with 4v4 multiplayer only on a system that's sold worse than fake dog shit.

There's a reason nobody has any confidence in it.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Well, just realized that Spec Ops has multiplayer too... but then I found this gem.
    Spec Ops: The Line lead designer Cory Davis slammed his game's multiplayer in a recent interview, describing it as a "low-quality Call of Duty clone in third-person" and a "waste of money." Davis told The Verge the outsourced mode was just a financially motivated "checkbox" for publisher 2K Games, and that the low number of multiplayer users, coupled with the mode's distinct tone and feel, casts "cancerous" aspersions on the whole game.

Davis revealed 2K insisted on the shooter having multiplayer, but the mode was far from a priority for developer Yager, and went against Davis' vision for the game. Nonetheless, the mode was greenlighted and then outsourced to Darkside Studios. Darkside is a small developer most notable for designing Borderlands' fourth add-on, "Claptrap's New Robot Revolution." Davis is clearly furious with the results.

"It sheds a negative light on all of the meaningful things we did in the single-player experience," Davis said. "The multiplayer game's tone is entirely different, the game mechanics were raped to make it happen, and it was a waste of money. No one is playing it, and I don't even feel like it's part of the overall package. It's another game rammed onto the disk like a cancerous growth, threatening to destroy the best things about the experience that the team at Yager put their heart and souls into creating."

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/29/spec-ops-the-line-dev-brands-games-multiplayer-a-waste-of-mon/

This industry, sweet baby Jeebus.

Yeah, I didn't have any desire to play MP after finishing Spec Ops. Even before it was confirmed, I just knew that it was tacked on and forced by 2K. I can understand Davis being upset, but I don't think it hurt the game's message too much. The MP was pretty much a ghost town from day one, almost nobody wanted to dip into MP coming from the campaign. We were just fortunate 2K took a chance with SPec OPs, unfortunately with the MP stipulation. Hopefully The Line sold well enough that 2K publishes more Yager games, and doesn't force anything on them.

I would also totally donate to a Kickstarter Yager thing if they went that route.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    edit: what was I replying to? I must of been on the wrong page.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/10/19/sensory-sweep-studios-founder-jailed-and-fined-1-2-million-for/
    Dave Rushton, the founder and president of Utah-based Sensory Sweep Studios, has been sentenced to 12 months in prison and fined a total of $1.2 million in unpaid wages to more than 100 employees, according to the Associated Press.

This judgment resolves a lawsuit filed in 2009 by the US Department of Labor, which enjoined the sales of several Sensory Sweep Studios games after employees claimed they hadn't been paid in more than 100 days. Additionally, the employees alleged that their 401(k) money had been stolen by the company.

Rushton has already served jail time for other charges relating to Sensory Sweep. In 2010, Rushton plead guilty to one third-degree felony charge of failing to file taxes and one second-degree felony charge of "engaging in a pattern of unlawful activity," says the Salt Lake Tribune. In addition to prison, the sentence also included a 72-month probation and 200 hours of community service.

Sensory Sweep Studios was primarily responsible for developing ports and licensed games for the Nintendo DS, such as Need for Speed: Most Wanted and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends: Imagination Invaders, though it also developed some console games such as Alvin and the Chipmunks, or the XBLA version of Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting.
    For Utah, it is the first prison sentence for this kind of crap in nearly a decade.

• Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    wakkawa on
  • Options
    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/10/19/sensory-sweep-studios-founder-jailed-and-fined-1-2-million-for/
    Dave Rushton, the founder and president of Utah-based Sensory Sweep Studios, has been sentenced to 12 months in prison and fined a total of $1.2 million in unpaid wages to more than 100 employees, according to the Associated Press.

This judgment resolves a lawsuit filed in 2009 by the US Department of Labor, which enjoined the sales of several Sensory Sweep Studios games after employees claimed they hadn't been paid in more than 100 days. Additionally, the employees alleged that their 401(k) money had been stolen by the company.

Rushton has already served jail time for other charges relating to Sensory Sweep. In 2010, Rushton plead guilty to one third-degree felony charge of failing to file taxes and one second-degree felony charge of "engaging in a pattern of unlawful activity," says the Salt Lake Tribune. In addition to prison, the sentence also included a 72-month probation and 200 hours of community service.

Sensory Sweep Studios was primarily responsible for developing ports and licensed games for the Nintendo DS, such as Need for Speed: Most Wanted and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends: Imagination Invaders, though it also developed some console games such as Alvin and the Chipmunks, or the XBLA version of Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting.
    For Utah, it is the first prison sentence for this kind of crap in nearly a decade.

Wow, never heard of those guys. Though given the game list, there's a reason for that.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Counterfeit Nintendo games seller Justin Success Brooks estimated to have made about £600,000
    A man who cheated video game makers Nintendo out of approximately $12m (£7.46m) by selling unlicensed games online is facing jail.

Justin Success Brooks of Foxley Lane, Purley, sold thousands of counterfeit, unauthorised cartridges of popular games such as Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, for the Nintendo Wii, DS and DSi consoles.

The 41-year-old, who sold the illegal games online between 2009 and 2011, pleaded guilty to seven counts of fraud when he appeared at Croydon Crown Court last Friday.

It is estimated Brooks made in the region of £600,000 from the online sales.

An original game from a reputable retailer is priced between £30 and £40, but test purchases and web pages of Brooks' business showed he was supplying the cartridges, each of which contained up to 200 games on them, for between £39.95 and £89.95.

Brooks was caught after Nintendo raised concerns an online retailer was selling and distributing Nintendo products.

The video game company and the United Kingdom Interactive Entertainment association (UKIE) undertook purchases from a number of websites, and their investigation led them to Brooks.

He is charged with two counts of fraudulent trading, two counts of supplying an article to use in fraud, two counts of unauthorised possession of goods bearing a trademark and one count of unauthorised use of a trademark.

Judge Shani Barnes, granted unconditional bail pending a pre-sentence report, but told him: "This is clearly a serious matter and this is not giving any promise of anything other than custody if that is what the sentencing judge decides."

Brooks will be sentenced at Croydon Crown Court on November 9.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular

I'm thinking Activision should have given the CoD Vita guys an extra six months on the title and released it in the summer as a mid-cycle game. If the next Console CoD game was Black Ops III it could have made sense to make CoD a bridge between the two titles, at least that gives gamers more of a reason to buy it anyway.

Releasing it day and date with the game guys really want to play isn't smart business.

Though with the way CoD multiplayer numbers hold up maybe six months is too soon for anyone to be interested anyway.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Somehow, I doubt the game would be less of a turd even if Nihilistic had another 6 months to polish it.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Yeah, I can't say I'm a fan of their outlook on the project.

It seems like they're looking at it as "just a handheld spinoff", so I can't imagine much genuine dedication went into the project. After all, it's not the AAA blockbuster they evidently want to be working on so badly.

No matter how much time they were given, it was never going to turn out well because they didn't give a shit.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    It would have worked out far better as nothing but coop/zombie modes for 4 players. Vs in a handheld game just isn't that compelling compared to sitting around with friends or whatever and doing some spec ops style coop missions or horde mode or zombie shooting or whatever.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.