As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Industry Thread] is getting better, unlike the Vita's outlook. Read the OP.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »
    I guess i don't understand this Smartglass thing completely, I thought it was just some garbage extraneous thing to watch media with, like "second screen" technology on some blu rays. You can actually control games with your tablet tho?

What's stopping MS from making some Smartglass controller and taking all the wind out of this WiiU things sails?

The fact that they're betting the farm on Kinect, apparently.

Heh. I just realized Wii U's big advantage over Smartglass -- more buttons. Gotta love this wacky changing industry.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    The fact that the WiiU controller has joysticks and buttons?

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Word from some of the Boston developers that I follow on twitter is that Zynga Boston is being shuttered right now.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Snap

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Word from some of the Boston developers that I follow on twitter is that Zynga Boston is being shuttered right now.

Well shit, do we know what those guys had worked on and how many people they employ?

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular

No worries, it's social gaming.

It has no where to go but up unlike those crazy old fashion console developers.....

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Zephiran wrote: »

Well shit, do we know what those guys had worked on and how many people they employ?

They were originally Conduit Labs before being acquired in 2010 -- not sure how many people they employed or what current projects they've done.

edit: This article from February says that Zynga Boston employed 45. So, somewhere around there.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Also the Wii U communicates directly with the pad while Smartglass uses the Internet.

I can only imagine the former will be more reliable.

• Options
    Zynga quadrupled the size of the studio after buying it, apparently.

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Guess who got hacked again.
    Custom firmware puts compromised consoles on PSN, leak of LV0 decryption keys to thwart future security measures

Sony is facing new PlayStation 3 security headaches today, as Eurogamer reports that hackers have released custom firmware that allows for compromised consoles to go on the PlayStation Network, and LV0 decryption keys that will facilitate circumvention of future security updates.

PlayStation 3 security was largely undermined in early 2011 after hacking team Fail0verflow detailed a technique to get unauthorized code running on Sony's console. At the time, the group said they attacked the console's security as a response to Sony removing the OtherOS feature that allowed installation of the Linux operating system on the PS3. Eurogamer notes that Sony's 3.60 firmware actually managed to plug many of the security holes from that event, but piracy has persisted for those willing to run older firmware and not take their systems onto PSN.

However, the newly released custom firmware contains the current PSN passphrase security protocol. And even if Sony changes that with new firmware, the release of the LV0 decryption keys means that hackers should be able to easily lay bare future security measures in system updates.

According to Eurogamer, Chinese hacking group BlueDiskCFW had planned to sell the custom firmware circumventions, which prompted another group called The Three Tuskateers to release the LV0 keys. They also released a statement claiming to have discovered the keys some time ago, adding, "only the fear of our work being used by others to make money out of it has forced us to release this now."

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Speaking of layoffs,
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-10-23-bigpoint-axes-120-jobs

Online gaming company Bigpoint has cut 120 jobs, and has announced the departure of Heiko Hubertz from the CEO role.

The company told GamesIndustry International that 80 employees in the Hamburg office and more than 40 in the San Francisco office are affected by the decision.

The company will no longer develop games in the US.

• Options
    Looks like Zynga Boston was just the first of many. Zynga appears to be doing a huge downsize:
    Zynga just laid off 100+ employees (incl. my friends) in its Austin office during the Apple Event. Gave them 2 hours to vacate. RT please.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Edit: too late!

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Zephiran wrote: »
    Oh hey, looks like Square's the first to bite on Epic's UE4.

http://epicgames.com/news/square-enix-signs-long-term-unreal-engine-licensing-agreement/

It seems the prospect of a readily available, mainstream middleware engine outweighed the pros their internal Luminous Engine may have had. Now, let's just see what they're gonna do with it.
    Mobile and social games 8-)

This is interesting because judging by The Last Remnant they found working with UE3 pretty difficult. Still, I guess anything's better than whatever inhouse muppetry they've got going that means they take 6+ years putting out games they've announced.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Looks like Zynga Boston was just the first of many. Zynga appears to be doing a huge downsize:
    Zynga just laid off 100+ employees (incl. my friends) in its Austin office during the Apple Event. Gave them 2 hours to vacate. RT please.

Wait, so that's 100 employees plus the previous 40 employees?

And we don't even know if they're the only two Zynga studios affected.

• Options
    MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Oh man, I JUST opened this tab so I could tell you guys about Zynga... too slow, damn.
    Anyway, best of luck to those involved.

Megamaniaco on
    Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Rumors say Zynga Chicago might also be closing down, and that nothing has happened at Austin.

So were probably going to have to wait a few hours for a press statement or something more concrete.

But with all the troubles Zynga is in recently, It wouldn't surprise me to see a lot of downsizing. They grew themselves to insane sizes on the promises of an ever growing user base, and that just wasn't reality.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Well, even though we don't know what Zynga Boston has done, we do know that Zynga Austin was the studio that released The Ville. There's probably a skeleton crew left to maintain it, though, I think Zynga Austin was a pretty big studio.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular

That's what I mean, like a 360 controller stretched out with a touchscreen in between, like the Wii U one looks.

I guess the using-the-Internet thing holds it back a little but Smartglass is the same concept as a wiiU pad is I guess what I'm wondering.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Cade wrote: »
    Custom firmware puts compromised consoles on PSN, leak of LV0 decryption keys to thwart future security measures

Sony is facing new PlayStation 3 security headaches today, as Eurogamer reports that hackers have released custom firmware that allows for compromised consoles to go on the PlayStation Network, and LV0 decryption keys that will facilitate circumvention of future security updates.

PlayStation 3 security was largely undermined in early 2011 after hacking team Fail0verflow detailed a technique to get unauthorized code running on Sony's console. At the time, the group said they attacked the console's security as a response to Sony removing the OtherOS feature that allowed installation of the Linux operating system on the PS3. Eurogamer notes that Sony's 3.60 firmware actually managed to plug many of the security holes from that event, but piracy has persisted for those willing to run older firmware and not take their systems onto PSN.

However, the newly released custom firmware contains the current PSN passphrase security protocol. And even if Sony changes that with new firmware, the release of the LV0 decryption keys means that hackers should be able to easily lay bare future security measures in system updates.

According to Eurogamer, Chinese hacking group BlueDiskCFW had planned to sell the custom firmware circumventions, which prompted another group called The Three Tuskateers to release the LV0 keys. They also released a statement claiming to have discovered the keys some time ago, adding, "only the fear of our work being used by others to make money out of it has forced us to release this now."

Why is it that when it comes to video games the people of China have *zero* issue with plagiarism and copyright infringement and all that shit? I mean, I'm not sure if I should say I'm glad people released the thing China was intending to sell for free, to circumvent that. Everything here is wrong and fucked up.

I would like to know why Sony gets so much of this attention from hackers though.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »

That's what I mean, like a 360 controller stretched out with a touchscreen in between, like the Wii U one looks.

I guess the using-the-Internet thing holds it back a little but Smartglass is the same concept as a wiiU pad is I guess what I'm wondering.

The same reason motion plus was still limited, it required purchasing another peripheral

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    In shocking news, the iPad 4 was just announced. Time to sell that tired iPad 3 that was just released in April

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »
    Rumors say Zynga Chicago might also be closing down, and that nothing has happened at Austin.

So were probably going to have to wait a few hours for a press statement or something more concrete.

But with all the troubles Zynga is in recently, It wouldn't surprise me to see a lot of downsizing. They grew themselves to insane sizes on the promises of an ever growing user base, and that just wasn't reality.

I'm not surprised by the downsizing, but I am surprised with the abrupt nature of it all. It's a little hot on the heels of NCSoft closing Paragon Studios in the same manner (one hour notice) so right now I'm just seeing Zynga's business management in a more extreme version of the light they've been under.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

Why is it that when it comes to video games the people of China have *zero* issue with plagiarism and copyright infringement and all that shit? I mean, I'm not sure if I should say I'm glad people released the thing China was intending to sell for free, to circumvent that. Everything here is wrong and fucked up.

I would like to know why Sony gets so much of this attention from hackers though.

Because Sony makes good hardware. Same reason the PSP got so much attention while the DS pretty much got flashcards and moonshell and thats about it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Good news for ex-Zynga Boston employees: looks like Harmonix is hiring. Don't even have to move out of Cambridge.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Good news for ex-Zynga Boston employees: looks like Harmonix is hiring. Don't even have to move out of Cambridge.

Combat Designer?

Harmonix presents Brian May's Modern Combat.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Smartglass is here! ...for all nine of you who own Windows phones.
    Microsoft confirmed today SmartGlass will launch alongside Windows 8 tablets on October 26, with Dance Central 3 and Forza Horizon among the first games to support it. The Xbox 360 app, which turns devices into secondary screens for the console, will be available for Windows 8 phones at launch on October 29. SmartGlass is expected to arrive on iOS and Android in 2013.

SmartGlass is implemented in the latest Xbox dashboard update, which Microsoft tells us it's rolled out to 3 million users so far. Another wave will receive the dashboard update today, so more users should have access to SmartGlass when the companion app becomes available for Windows 8 tablets on Friday.

Microsoft already detailed how SmartGlass will work with Dance Central 3, and the company elaborated today on what integration we can expect from other games. Forza Horizon's second screen, for example, will offer GPS navigation in a complete map of the game. Using SmartGlass with Halo 4 will, as previously hypothesized, give you access to Waypoint stats.

As the above video shows, SmartGlass functionality also supports the newly launched Xbox Music, watching TV, film, and live sports, and Internet Explorer 9. Microsoft gave us a live demonstration of SmartGlass' functionality with music and movies, switching play between a Windows 8 tablet and Xbox 360. The switch wasn't quite as swift as in the above video, but it was smooth and looked simple enough.

Returning to games, earlier this year Microsoft said we can expect SmartGlass functionality in every Microsoft Studios game going forward, so expect to hear a lot more about Xbox's new toy in the coming months.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/10/23/xbox-smartglass-launches-for-windows-8-tablets-october-26/

Best part of this, WP7 may not be supported. Everything in the media says WP8. So all 9 of us who bought WP7? May be completely out of luck and still stuck in 6mo+ contracts.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited October 2012

Combat Designer?

Dance Central 3 is all about dance warfare, actually. "We're the first and last line of defense against dance crimes," is an actual line of dialog that exists in that game's batshit insane story mode.

But yeah, they seem to be working on something that's pretty significantly different from their prior works.

Dehumanized on
  • Options

Combat Designer?

Combatville.

I mean, really, what skills have Zynga employees truly learned or tuned up when working at Zynga? They're doubly fucked here; they were working in a creatively devoid workshop, and have to abruptly seek a job.

Then again, I guess rebuilding an existing game from the ground up at least teaches some basics.

It looks like the Chicago closure may be true too, by the way.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Given that the team expanded from 10 to 45 there's probably not much talent carried over, but before they were Zynga Boston, Conduit Labs seems to have done some flash-based rhythm games with social aspects, which Zynga promptly threw away. I imagine those folks would be able to fit Harmonix pretty well.

Truly, though, we are admidst the Zyngageddon. It was surely coming given how shaky the company's business model and earnings have been. I hope a lot of their employees saw it too and have been working on backup plans.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    At least Zynga's stock isn't continuing to tank.

z?s=ZNGA&t=1m&q=&l=&z=l&a=v&p=s&lang=en-US&region=US

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    This has to be the fastest I've seen a billion dollar business fail since the dot com bubble.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

All things remaining the same (assuming this doesn't escalate), this sounds like a pretty typical Sony security breech (the kind that happened, sure enough, to the Xbox 360 months ago, and freaked plenty of people out but in actuality didn't mean a whole lot).

It's certainly not a "Oh, holy shit what have we done" type situation like the big PSN blackout. Maybe a bit of an embarrassment, sadly common place as it stands. At least as far as I can tell.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Kinda interesting that it's a breach that's been known for a while, and only got released because someone else was going to try to monetize it. Though, my understanding is that this sort of thing is rather common among the hacking community.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I feel really bad for the employees. Making a game is not easy - and it's hard to make assumptions on "how little they might've learned" when you're on the outside, looking in. I know they had talented folks there, and I'd hope that people on the outside will understand that.

The amount of time they were given as warning though is ridiculous - unfortunately however, I've heard it's not uncommon practice in the game industry to give little to no warning before kicking the employees out in a layoff/studio closure situation. It absolutely should not be standard or expected behavior, but I think there are a handful of things that seem "standard" in this industry that really shouldn't be, from a moral/ethical standpoint.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Because Sony makes good hardware. Same reason the PSP got so much attention while the DS pretty much got flashcards and moonshell and thats about it.

Also because PSN is a reliable, less difficult target apparently.

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I mean, really, what skills have Zynga employees truly learned or tuned up when working at Zynga? They're doubly fucked here; they were working in a creatively devoid workshop, and have to abruptly seek a job.

Unless it's an indie game made by a tiny team, you can't really base someone's skills on the quality of a game they've worked on. There are so many circumstances outside of a programmer or artist's control that could contribute to a game being horrible even if some of the individuals working on it are very talented.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options

Unless it's an indie game made by a tiny team, you can't really base someone's skills on the quality of a game they've worked on. There are so many circumstances outside of a programmer or artist's controls that could contribute to a game being horrible even if some of the individuals working on it are very talented.

Oh, of course not. But I've heard tales about job applicants being judged negatively because they worked on a turkey.

• Options

Unless it's an indie game made by a tiny team, you can't really base someone's skills on the quality of a game they've worked on. There are so many circumstances outside of a programmer or artist's control that could contribute to a game being horrible even if some of the individuals working on it are very talented.

You're right, I'm being a little harsh.

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular

Fucking bought.

This discussion has been closed.