As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2]The new thread is not innovative. It is however FUCKING AMAZING.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    For those of you whom have been playing quite often:

Do you know *anyone* who has 250 skill points or over 200,000 karma? Honestly? I am having trouble understanding someone is even at this point.

I have about 2,000 karma. So at my pace it'd take about 100 days to get there. Though someone playing faster and and through the beta prelaunch could probably be at that by now.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    For reference, taking a tower in WvWvW gives you 700 karma and takes 5-10 minutes.

Level 80 karma accrues very quickly.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    So much karma! Lovin' it.

• Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    eeSanG wrote: »
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Regarding bosses, the general problem is that many bosses have amorphous mechanics.
    Take the second boss in Arah for example. He spawns grubs, and eats them for health. However, the spawn locations are pretty much random, and sometimes he'll spawn and immediately eat 3-4 grubs because they spawned where he's standing.

A more structured mechanic would be to have several specific spawn points for the grubs that aren't anywhere near where you fight him, which he will lumber slowly towards, and you have to kill the grubs before he reaches them to eat them.

Basically, I think there's a fair amount of dungeon design to be learnt from WoW for the GW2 team based on what I've seen so far (5/8 SM complete).

So far, my most enjoyable fight in a dungeon has been the
    Revised Iron Forgeman
    , with the
    Dogs chasing a Cat fight in Twilight Arbor a close second
    for amusement value. Obviously the last fight in Arah wins in terms of cinematic experience, but
    it's less of a fight than the World Event fights with the lieutenants; the Claw of Jormag fight is much more interesting by comparison

In Explorer TA, there's a Wurm boss that spawns more Veteran Wurms as he hits a certain % of health. His last spawn creates 2 Wurms and this is usually the most common cause of wipes on that encounter. Except if you wipe the Wurms don't despawn and you have to kill them (which aggros the boss) and run the hell out to restart the encounter with everyone at full health. I'm really surprised that pretty much nothing that spawns during dungeon encounters in GW2 do not despawn if the group wipes.

In Story TA,
    I thought the Spider Champion was the most enjoyable boss fight in there. The Cat/Dog Champion was boring. I just thought it was a simple tank and spank until around my 3rd run, when I got turned into the Cat and went "Oh, cute."

I think my favorite Dynamic Event to participate in is the Priest of Lyssa. The scale and amount of people required makes it pretty epic.

One thing that I think would really improve the dungeon experience:

It should be clear when you fail.

In GW2, the fact that most PvE content isn't clear about failure is, IMO, part of why dungeons sometimes feel like such a slog, such a grind: You can basically graveyard-zerg your way through a dungeon if your group sucks. And it's hard to realize when you're failing.

I much prefer challenging content with clear failure points. If a group doesn't have what it takes to completely kill a pack or a boss, it should totally reset before allowing them to continue, instead of allowing them to slowly chip away at it across graveyard-runs.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Who-Psyd wrote: »
    and once you have hit a Shatter Hotkey you can immediately summon more as the ones you just told to Shatter do not count towards your cap anymore, even though they may still be around running toward the Shatter target.

That's another thing I've been wondering about. So if I've hit a shatter, they're running towards the target and I have 3/3 illusions in the counter, I can still summon new ones?

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    Speaking of which, I hope no one chose kormir as their deity. Not going to get any support from that one. Uselessest.

I did. Just to have the chance at telling her off as the proxy for my ancestors.

i did because, dammit, i worked hard to get her into power.

• Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    It needs to be clear when you failed, and at least some input on why you failed.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    For reference, taking a tower in WvWvW gives you 700 karma and takes 5-10 minutes.

Yep, and kaineng has no wvw queues.

The big edge level 80's have is they dont have to worry about their gear becoming obsolete and thus can afford to put down for masterwork+ on everything.

And the sigil of the hydromancer is the best thing ever.

3 second aoe freeze on swap.

It seems to share a cooldown with the other aoe things too, like aoe fire, even the one that has does it on critical with a 3 second cooldown or somesuch.

The best thing about chilled is increasing the cooldowns of my enemies abilities, attrition warfare.

Draygo on
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Ahahaha. Asura flurry animation: hop up into the air, hover there cartoon-style while flailing around with your sword.

In their /wave they hop on one foot in order to get a bit higher in the hopes that they'll actually be seen waving

One time, on my asura, I did /cheer.

I died from squee.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    dont do /laugh

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Just gonna throw this out there:

You guys all already bought the game. They don't need to advertise to you. They need to advertise to the entire untapped market segment that is likely to be influenced to buy a game from tv. That's not the same group as us AT ALL.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    If anyone want to buy the game, it is available for digital download from ANet site right now. All three versions.

I'm at 11% downloaded now, should be online this evening. Hope that "Jagoda" is not taken on Fort Aspen....

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    JohanFlick wrote: »
    If anyone want to buy the game, it is available for digital download from ANet site right now. All three versions.

I'm at 11% downloaded now, should be online this evening. Hope that "Jagoda" is not taken on Fort Aspen....

names are global, and yes it's taken

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    So, I see some Mesmer discussion going on here. Allow me to reiterate a question I posed earlier on, which got drowned in a sea of various other types of froth. I like Glamours, and the traits allow you to do some pretty awesome things with them (namely, AoE Confusion spam). But there's just a little fine-tuning in the traits that gives me pause. So I figure, hey, why not theorycraft with the rest of the thread?

Putting aside the weapons for a moment, I have three trait layouts:

Glam Bomber just takes every possible Glamour trait. This includes dumping 20 points into Domination just to get the "five seconds of confusion on entering or leaving the Glamour", which seems a bit excessive. But it's yet another stack of Confusion, and ostensibly that's the point.

Return to Sender throws everything into supporting the team through reflection. 10 extra points in Inspiration relative to Glam Bomber unlocks another slot to use on Warden's Focus, which, while not a Grandmaster trait, turns Temporal Curtain into a second reflective barrier and knocks 5 seconds off of the cooldown. Temporal Curtain is already useful as fuck, and making it a reflect barrier in addition to its other utilities is just plain awesome. The remaining 10 points go to Chaos for the Toughness, and Master of Manipulation is there in anticipation of spending a utility slot on Illusion of Life-- reviving an ally with a kill is great fun, but reviving the ally immediately is even better.

Chaos Buffer anticipates using a Staff to support the team in two different ways: first, Chaos Storm is awesome in its own right, but as an ongoing AoE it can be used to chase an enemy into or out of a glamour, triggering those blinds and confuses more reliably.

What sounds more useful?

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    JohanFlick wrote: »

names are global, and yes it's taken

Damn. I should've bought the game while it was in the early access.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Pretty much count on any proper sounding one word names to be taken at this point, and varations thereof.

Good thing you can use lastnames, and sirnames. Jagoda is taken, but Jag Oda might not be (cant check right now).

Draygo on
  • Options
    KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Draygo wrote: »

The big edge level 80's have is they dont have to worry about their gear becoming obsolete and thus can afford to put down for masterwork+ on everything.

It seems to share a cooldown with the other aoe things too, like aoe fire, even the one that has does it on critical with a 3 second cooldown or somesuch.

The best thing about chilled is increasing the cooldowns of my enemies abilities, attrition warfare.

Actually, @Draygo, I think that is just a hidden mechanic of Sigils in general. I've been doing quite a bit of reading up on Sigils today as I try and figure out what the hell I want to put on my weapons. Most of the threads/posts in the places I've looked are all Beta3/Stress Test at the earliest. I haven't been able to find much of anything done testing wise post launch. Some of the older stuff did say that there seemed to be an internal cooldown on sigil procs in general, even sigils that weren't of the same type. Some guy did testing during one of the last stress tests and found that after getting a crit proc sigil to activate and then swapping weapons, he did not recieve the Might stacks from his Sigil of Battle.

He did a SoB -> SoB test as well. He was a warrior with a shortened weapon swap timer, and got the first proc on his first weapon swap, and when he swapped 5 seconds later to try and get the second it didn't give it to him. The weapon swap ones seem to have a longer ICD, something more akin to the base weapon swap timer (9 seconds?). The crit proc sigils also seem to share an ICD, so dual weapon sets that have different crit proc sigils seem to have one proc more than the other, as one proc-ing locks out the other from being able to do so for the length of the timer (Something like 2 seconds they said for the crit proc ones). I believe they said the weapon swap ones were locking out the crit proc ones on their longer timer as well.

People trying to run multiple "Gain x Stat on kill" Sigils should also not be doing so atm. You only seem to get stacks from one of them (and apparently that is working as intended). You can however completely swap out the weapon after reaching full stacks and retain the buff, as it stays until death and whatnot.

The flat bonus (5%DMG/5%Crit) Sigils seem to only apply that bonus to the attacks of the weapon it is attached to. Some of the posts I've read over have said there seems to be a curious exception to this, that being the Theif's 3 attack, which is dependent upon both MH and OH weapon choices, and thus gets the benefit of the Sigil from both weapons (Or so claims the Thief that tested running double Sigils of Force at least).

I'd really like to get more into this area of testing/discussion. We all seem to be so wrapped up in lore and dyes and arguing over just how bad dungeons are. There has been very little diving into the technical/mechanical end of the game. With being so close to game launch still, I would have thought we'd have more people curious about those aspects of the game. :(

Kilnaga on
    "The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    and once you have hit a Shatter Hotkey you can immediately summon more as the ones you just told to Shatter do not count towards your cap anymore, even though they may still be around running toward the Shatter target.

That's another thing I've been wondering about. So if I've hit a shatter, they're running towards the target and I have 3/3 illusions in the counter, I can still summon new ones?

Yes, Illusions you have told to Shatter are technically gone the HUD just does not update to show that untill they actually butterfly explode.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Pretty much count on any proper sounding one word names to be taken at this point, and varations thereof.

Good thing you can use lastnames, and sirnames. Jagoda is taken, but Jag Oda might not be (cant check right now).

Or Jagoda Fuzzybottom. If you're planning to go asura.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    I believe that two of the same Chance on Crit Weapon Sigils do not stack. I spent about 5 minutes testing on Heart of Mist Dummies. Not sure about differing.

LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • Options

Yes, Illusions you have told to Shatter are technically gone the HUD just does not update to show that untill they actually butterfly explode.

That sounds like something they should tweak down the line, quality of life change. Similarly, I wish the Guardian virtues had better tells for their passives on the UI.

A better visual counter for the amount of hits left before you inflict burning for VoJ. A countdown until the next free Aegis appears from VoC would also be nice. The latter especially, popping VoC to get an Aegis seconds before you would have got a free one kind of sucks. It would certainly help with better mitigating some of that crazy dungeon monster damage.

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Or Jagoda Fuzzybottom. If you're planning to go asura.

That's totes a charr name.

Jagoda, of the Fuzzy warband!

• Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Didnt get to play much last night. However I did run my friend through the shatterer event. Seeing as he was only level 41 I put him on a mortar while I handled control of adds.

Last time I did the event the chest didn't spawn. Did this time though. Got a whole lot of good stuff.

Also; I named my Asura Engineer "Maxazillion Gearjam". Thankyou very much Metalocalypse!

Dram on
  • Options
    I believe that two of the same Chance on Crit Weapon Sigils do not stack. I spent about 5 minutes testing on Heart of Mist Dummies. Not sure about differing.

My initial thought, especially after reading that the flat bonus Sigils, like Force, only applied to the attendant weapon (which totally makes sense to me), was that the chance on crit Sigils would only apply for crits on their attendant weapons as well. Then I read posts where people who had such sigils on their shields were getting those procs on sword attacks. Which brought me to, "now I don't know what the hell to think."

To me, It would make sense with the way procs work with crits from either weapon, that the chance would stack. It seems counter intuitive that it wouldn't. Although I can totally understand why it doesn't, as certain of those Sigils stacked together would proc to the point of being ridiculous.

- Terence McKenna
  • Options
    CostanzaKCostanzaK Only walks away from burning buildings. Registered User regular
    Dram wrote: »
    On a completely different tangent, I love the Charr /dance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZmjA6d-OGc

Yeah, you see a guy doing that before fighting you and you know you're gonna get fucked up.

As I recall, they're basically telling their enemies how they are going to kill them and swallow their souls.

"We shall Capture the Flag. We shall go on to the time limits.
    We shall fight in Hoth, we shall fight on the spaceports
    and the orbital stations, we shall fight with growing confidence
    and growing strength in the instances, we shall defend our Republic,
    whatever the cost may be.
    We shall Re-Spawn on the beaches, we shall camp the landing grounds,
    we shall PvP Flag in the fields and in the streets, we shall gank in the hills;
    we shall never uninstall."
    --Winston Churchwalker
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    CostanzaK wrote: »

Yeah, you see a guy doing that before fighting you and you know you're gonna get fucked up.

As I recall, they're basically telling their enemies how they are going to kill them and swallow their souls.

Holy SHIT

• Options
    edited September 2012

Not entirely. That dance speaks of the creation of the world, and the search for personal glory.

This one from Tonga (in red) however...it's all about ripping out the hearts of the opposing team.

Dram on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Watched that new trailer. The first time I saw it I was basically "what the hell...", but I watched it again all the way through and they are sort of mixing fantastical things with the real world (mud guy, spray paint in the air, swimming in a house, dragon smoke), and then transitioning into GW2 world near the end. So to me it hints at the way you can escape into a virtual world in an MMO.

We (read: video game nerds) might prefer a swords/sorcery cinematic (which we kind of already have from gamescom last year), but I think this will be pretty effective at getting GW2 noticed by a wider audience.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    Kilnaga wrote: »

My initial thought, especially after reading that the flat bonus Sigils, like Force, only applied to the attendant weapon (which totally makes sense to me), was that the chance on crit Sigils would only apply for crits on their attendant weapons as well. Then I read posts where people who had such sigils on their shields were getting those procs on sword attacks. Which brought me to, "now I don't know what the hell to think."

To me, It would make sense with the way procs work with crits from either weapon, that the chance would stack. It seems counter intuitive that it wouldn't. Although I can totally understand why it doesn't, as certain of those Sigils stacked together would proc to the point of being ridiculous.

I run an Air sigil main hand and a Rage sigil offhand. I regularly get both triggers but I use my Thief's dual move often.

Easy to check most of the interactions in the Heart of the Mist since all of the weapons and sigils are free as well as test dummies just sitting there.

LFMGb.jpg
  • Options

I run an Air sigil main hand and a Rage sigil offhand. I regularly get both triggers but I use my Thief's dual move often.

Easy to check most of the interactions in the Heart of the Mist since all of the weapons and sigils are free as well as test dummies just sitting there.

I'm going to have to do this when I get off work. I'd very much like to get a better handle on how some of these sigils interact with one another.

- Terence McKenna
  • Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    for PvE I run with Accuracy/Rage, both superior. Accuracy gives me a total of +250 precision! Under rage my crit rate at lv65 is 91%...

• Options
    What's the deal with flanking strike for thieves? Is it still broken? It seems to be working better than it previously was, but every now and then I still spin off to the side of my target rather than behind them....

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    What's the deal with flanking strike for thieves? Is it still broken? It seems to be working better than it previously was, but every now and then I still spin off to the side of my target rather than behind them....

Maybe the skill text is wrong, since a flank is an attack on the sides.

• Options
    CostanzaKCostanzaK Only walks away from burning buildings. Registered User regular

Not entirely. That dance speaks of the creation of the world, and the search for personal glory.

This one from Tonga (in red) however...it's all about ripping out the hearts of the opposing team.

I see, it's a powerful presentation of the birth of the world, but I'm partially correct on the soul swallowing. The act of making the "war face" with the mouth open and the tongue extended out is the emphatic gesture of "I'm gonna swallow your soul."

"We shall Capture the Flag. We shall go on to the time limits.
    We shall fight in Hoth, we shall fight on the spaceports
    and the orbital stations, we shall fight with growing confidence
    and growing strength in the instances, we shall defend our Republic,
    whatever the cost may be.
    We shall Re-Spawn on the beaches, we shall camp the landing grounds,
    we shall PvP Flag in the fields and in the streets, we shall gank in the hills;
    we shall never uninstall."
    --Winston Churchwalker
  • Options
    Does anybody know if there is a quick, easy, way to get a log file for the combat log? Or am I going to have to count attacks/damage by hand? :(

- Terence McKenna
  • Options

Actually, @Draygo, I think that is just a hidden mechanic of Sigils in general. I've been doing quite a bit of reading up on Sigils today as I try and figure out what the hell I want to put on my weapons. Most of the threads/posts in the places I've looked are all Beta3/Stress Test at the earliest. I haven't been able to find much of anything done testing wise post launch. Some of the older stuff did say that there seemed to be an internal cooldown on sigil procs in general, even sigils that weren't of the same type. Some guy did testing during one of the last stress tests and found that after getting a crit proc sigil to activate and then swapping weapons, he did not recieve the Might stacks from his Sigil of Battle.

He did a SoB -> SoB test as well. He was a warrior with a shortened weapon swap timer, and got the first proc on his first weapon swap, and when he swapped 5 seconds later to try and get the second it didn't give it to him. The weapon swap ones seem to have a longer ICD, something more akin to the base weapon swap timer (9 seconds?). The crit proc sigils also seem to share an ICD, so dual weapon sets that have different crit proc sigils seem to have one proc more than the other, as one proc-ing locks out the other from being able to do so for the length of the timer (Something like 2 seconds they said for the crit proc ones). I believe they said the weapon swap ones were locking out the crit proc ones on their longer timer as well.

People trying to run multiple "Gain x Stat on kill" Sigils should also not be doing so atm. You only seem to get stacks from one of them (and apparently that is working as intended). You can however completely swap out the weapon after reaching full stacks and retain the buff, as it stays until death and whatnot.

The flat bonus (5%DMG/5%Crit) Sigils seem to only apply that bonus to the attacks of the weapon it is attached to. Some of the posts I've read over have said there seems to be a curious exception to this, that being the Theif's 3 attack, which is dependent upon both MH and OH weapon choices, and thus gets the benefit of the Sigil from both weapons (Or so claims the Thief that tested running double Sigils of Force at least).

I'd really like to get more into this area of testing/discussion. We all seem to be so wrapped up in lore and dyes and arguing over just how bad dungeons are. There has been very little diving into the technical/mechanical end of the game. With being so close to game launch still, I would have thought we'd have more people curious about those aspects of the game. :(

Yeah i didnt test it out fully to see how interactions go yet. Definately worth a wiki article on once we have this information.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Sarksus wrote: »

Maybe the skill text is wrong, since a flank is an attack on the sides.

I should explain further. The skill is supposed to spin you around your target and stab them twice at the same time. You're supposed to wind up facing one of their rear flanks.
    Instead what often happens is you will spin several metres to the side and wind up out of range and facing away from your target. As such, the first stab will usually hit, but the final stab will cut air in the opposite direction to the target.

Dram on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Just did The Shatterer. Not as hard as I would have expected. :( Seriously, it must not operate on the same upscaling principles as Champions do as I have had a fight with a lvl 15 Champion that was way longer and infinitely harder then fighting The Shatterer. Kind of bum'd, but still it was a pretty cool looking fight.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited September 2012

I'm going to have to do this when I get off work. I'd very much like to get a better handle on how some of these sigils interact with one another.

I put a Chance on Crit (Fire) Sigil in my offhand with an empty main hand and autoattacked a dummy. The offhand Sigils proc off main hand only attacks.

Will check stacking interactions.

Update:
    I am confidant that Fire and Air share cooldowns (5 seconds). Air also seems to consistently hit 10% harder than Fire and they scale with weapon damage.

Seems like Fire(Mainhand) and Air(Offhand) will trigger alternately at random while only autoattacking. They will not trigger simultaneously.

Sigil of Blood doesn't seem to trigger if I'm at full health.

If Sigil of Rage (Haste) triggers, any other Chance on Crit Sigil will not proc for the 45s cooldown on Rage. Thus, every Chance on Crit Sigil shares a cooldown.

Flat 5% Damage Sigil does indeed work from the offhand for main hand attacks.

eeSanG on
    LFMGb.jpg
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular

I put a Chance on Crit (Fire) Sigil in my offhand with an empty main hand and autoattacked a dummy. The offhand Sigils proc off main hand only attacks.

Will check stacking interactions.

Update:
    I am confidant that Fire and Air share cooldowns (5 seconds). Air also seems to consistently hit 10% harder than Fire and they scale with weapon damage.

Seems like Fire(Mainhand) and Air(Offhand) will trigger alternately at random while only autoattacking. They will not trigger simultaneously.

Sigil of Blood doesn't seem to trigger if I'm at full health.

If Sigil of Rage (Haste) triggers, any other Chance on Crit Sigil will not proc for the 45s cooldown on Rage. Thus, every Chance on Crit Sigil shares a cooldown.

Flat 5% Damage Sigil does indeed work from the offhand for main hand attacks.

I spoke with a guy on reddit who did EXTENSIVE testing that stated all sigils with a CD listed (and I guess earth since it has a hidden 1 second CD) actually "share" a CD.

He described it as all of them have a no proc type thing it puts on you that prevents all proccing from happening for the CD of whatever just procced.

I think he even said other sigil CDs, such as weapon swaps, do the same thing.

Basically you should avoid combining any sigil with a CD with another.

The whole sigil thing is pretty effed up imo, what with some following some rules, others following different rules, some stacking, some not, and the whole 2 handers only getting one deal. The whole thing is a mess honestly IMO and while its fun to figure it out its really a messy system currently.

Also I noticed a LOT in the mists my sigils would like, proc once and stop working. For instance, having the sigil that gives might on crit would work for one crit then just stop. But it seemed they would work fine in actual spvp matches.

This discussion has been closed.