Options

PAX EAST 2013 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• Options
    CodeIndig0CodeIndig0 Registered User new member
    edited March 2013
    Hi, this going to my first time going to Pax East. I've been looking through the schedule and I have some questions I am hoping you guys can answer. Thank you.

1. Is there a map or layout of the convention center that lists where each theatre is?
    2. What is console freeplay and when will it be listed?
    3. Will they release any information about what they will have in the exhibit hall before Pax starts?
    4. Realistically, how long should I wait in line to get into some of the popular panels for a decent seat?
    5. At the moment, I'm pretty much planning on spending most of the three days going to panels. Is this a mistake? I want to try some new games in the Exhibit hall and maybe play some table top games but also don't want to miss any panels.
    6. Is it worth watching the omegathon's first two rounds? I would like to see it but I'm worried how it'll be set up. Do they have big tv's/screens in the theatre so you can see each person playing or do you have to be up close to actually see anything?
    7. Does anyone know how the Magic: The Gathering Foil Fest will play? It says each player gets 6 booster packs, so it's considered sealed? Also, do we bring our own land or will they have everything there? How do the points work in the swiss rounds? http://east.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/magic-the-gathering-foil-fest
    8. For the Persona 4 tournament on Friday, do they start the tournament right at noon or do they just let people in at noon?
    9. I know some panels start at 10am but what time does the convention center open?

CodeIndig0 on
  • Options
    CabadrinCabadrin Boston, MARegistered User regular
    CodeIndog0:

1. Yes, there is. It should be released "soon"
    2. Console Freeplay is in its own room, and has a lot of consoles and games you may check out. It's not an event per se, but a room where you can play games.
    3. A map of the exhibit hall will be released "soon." It will have vendors on it, but not what they are exhibiting.
    4. You'll be able to start lining up after the panel before it has started. I usually arrive 20-30 minutes before it begins for the really popular panels.
    5. You can plan on seeing panels, but count on changing your mind every hour. Just seeing panels can be less entertaining than sitting down and playing two hours of tabletop, or cruising through the expo floor.
    6. I love the Omegathon. It's incredibly entertaining, no matter which round you pick. I like the smaller rounds because the audience gets more into it. Jenga should be great to watch!
    7. No idea.
    8. You'll have to ask the people putting it on.
    9. The center opens at 8:00am Friday, I believe. You'll be lined up, then head in to line up for keynote, expo hall, etc. after 8:00am. Expo floor opens at 10:00am, I believe, and should be open until 6:00pm. The expo hall remains open until 2:00am, then re-opens at 8:00am the next day.

e2TtnRd.png
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I find that going to wait in line at least an hour ahead for the super popular ones is necessary, especially if they're in small theatres.

For the Jerry and Mike signing, I would recommend 2 hrs. I barely made the cut going an hour early last year.
    For Concert nights the line starts forming 2 hours before it begins, if I recall.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    4) this is super dependent on the panel. Some, 30 min is plenty. Some, you'll need to show up right after the previous panel starts.
    8) the time listed is usually when the tournaments start. Signups for most tournaments happen first thing on the day of the tournament (10am)
    9) You can queue for individual theaters starting at 8am

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    For those wondering, my friend just got his badge in the mail today.

He lives in MA. They shipped from CT (that's where ReedPop is located I believe).

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    MMMig wrote: »
    For those wondering, my friend just got his badge in the mail today.

He lives in MA. They shipped from CT (that's where ReedPop is located I believe).

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/168042/2013-registration-badges-have-started-to-arrive

Please keep the Q&A thread for Q&A :)

• Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    CodeIndig0 wrote: »
    6. Is it worth watching the omegathon's first two rounds? I would like to see it but I'm worried how it'll be set up. Do they have big tv's/screens in the theatre so you can see each person playing or do you have to be up close to actually see anything?

The Omegathon is always awesome. Last year they had 2 giant screens set up in Merman Theatre so you could see everyone playing. The audience really gets into the action in the smaller theatres and it's hard not to get swept up by that energy.

*The Omegathon is split between Merman and Main Theatres.

If they have a banner this year, you can see the teams on it and where they are in the Omegathon if you missed a round.

tl;dr: Omegathon is awesome. Go watch it.

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    SupervillianSupervillian Registered User regular
    I have a quick question.
    I've found that I want to go to a lot of panels that are right after one another. (ie. Storytime, PA Q&A, and RT)
    How does that work? Do they clear the room between panels or are people who want to stay allowed to?

Thanks!

• Options
    BreeFaithBreeFaith Voice Actress NYRegistered User regular
    First PAX, can't wait! I just got my badge ;D though I am wondering, do they run out of swag bags? I want to get one, but I also wanna be at the Capcom panel :/

Voice Actress from Strife, Heroes of Newerth, Lovely Little Thieves, Huniepop & More
    Casting & Directing for YIIK, Mind: Path to Thalamus, MB Voiceworks
    brittanylauda.com
    www.facebook.com/brittanylaudavo
    @brittanylaudavo
  • Options
    I have a quick question.
    I've found that I want to go to a lot of panels that are right after one another. (ie. Storytime, PA Q&A, and RT)
    How does that work? Do they clear the room between panels or are people who want to stay allowed to?

Thanks!

They do not clear between Storytime and the PA Q&A on Friday. I don't know about RT.

• Options
    TehmightybooshyTehmightybooshy Registered User regular
    Last year they did not clear the main hall between the Q&A and the RT panel.

• Options
    jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Regarding Main Theatre:
    If there is a 30-minutes or longer gap between panels, the room will be cleared. If the gap is less, it won't be cleared.

Regarding the Satellite Theatres:
    They will always be cleared between panels. (There may be some rare exceptions to this, but they are very unlikely.)

Since there's no gap between Storytime and the Q&A, it won't be cleared. Looking at the schedule, this appears to be the only instance where a theatre will not be cleared between panels this PAX.

Since there is a 30 minute gap between Q&A and RT, I believe they will be clearing then.

jaberwockynmt on
    --Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • Options
    repeterepete Registered User regular
    Will there be taxis outside of the convention center after the concerts let out?

• Options
    gerafingerafin Registered User regular
    repete wrote: »
    Will there be taxis outside of the convention center after the concerts let out?

There are taxis outside of the convention center 24/7 during events this large. The most I had to wait last year was 3 minutes before one showed up, and that was at about 2 AM.

• Options
    rezallakrezallak Registered User regular
    Making a checklist of everything to check out. I've got all my panels, console freeplay, handheld lounge, PC area, tabletop area, and that awesome retro area. Anything major I'm missing?

• Options
    PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    BreeFaith wrote: »
    First PAX, can't wait! I just got my badge ;D though I am wondering, do they run out of swag bags? I want to get one, but I also wanna be at the Capcom panel :/

From my experience they do not run out of swag bags per se, but they run out of certain items. At Prime we ran out of magazines on the first day but had crayons til the last day.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options
    JonoseelJonoseel Here Be Unicorns and Dragons Boston, MARegistered User regular
    The guide for pax east 2013 is now available on the app guidebook for ios and Android.

Pax Eat Stuff: 3 Day Badges[]; BYOC Badge[]; A Roof to stay under[X]; A ride of some sort[].
  • Options
    zgamer200zgamer200 Registered User regular
    When I registered I also had to print out a paper that said I should bring it with me to Pax East. I also just got my pass today. Do I actually need to bring that slip of paper now that I have my pass?
    Also, for those wondering about the Shuttle Schedule, I don't know how accurate this is, but on the back of my pass it says,
    "Morning Shuttle towards Pax from 8 AM-11 PM every 50-60 minutes
    Evening Shuttle towards both Pax and the Hotels from 5 PM-8 PM every 30 minutes
    Closing Shuttle towards Hotels from Midnight-3 AM every 30 minutes*
    (*Except Sunday)"

• Options
    Also what's the "tracks" feature in Guidebook?

• Options
    DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    zgamer200 wrote: »
    When I registered I also had to print out a paper that said I should bring it with me to Pax East. I also just got my pass today. Do I actually need to bring that slip of paper now that I have my pass?
    Also, for those wondering about the Shuttle Schedule, I don't know how accurate this is, but on the back of my pass it says,
    (*Except Sunday)"

Bring the paper in case. Occasionally I have heard of (very rarely and never happened to me) an overzealous enforcer will ask to verify that this is your pass. They want to keep people from using it one day and gifting it to a friend the next. Also might need it for a lanyard.

• Options
    Dolarrah wrote: »
    (*Except Sunday)"

Bring the paper in case. Occasionally I have heard of (very rarely and never happened to me) an overzealous enforcer will ask to verify that this is your pass. They want to keep people from using it one day and gifting it to a friend the next. Also might need it for a lanyard.

I have never ever heard of that happening. It is totally legit to use a pass for one person on one day, then give it to someone else the next day. The only time they will scrutinize is if they think the badge is counterfeit.

The shuttle schedule on the badges is usually pretty accurate.

• Options
    So far I have all my panels, console freeplay, handheld lounge, PC area, tabletop area, retro area, and Jamspace all listed in my to-do list; I will be going through the exhibitor list later. Anything major that I should add?

• Options
    rezallak wrote: »
    So far I have all my panels, console freeplay, handheld lounge, PC area, tabletop area, retro area, and Jamspace all listed in my to-do list; I will be going through the exhibitor list later. Anything major that I should add?
    Bandland where you get to talk to the musical guests. I ended up spending about an hour there last year

• Options
    repete wrote: »
    Bandland where you get to talk to the musical guests. I ended up spending about an hour there last year
    Noted!

• Options
    Also even if it's not necessarily a "main thing" anything else going on during PAX that I haven't mentioned I will totally take into consideration as well...just suggest anything, really...

• Options
    DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Dolarrah wrote: »
    (*Except Sunday)"

I have never ever heard of that happening. It is totally legit to use a pass for one person on one day, then give it to someone else the next day. The only time they will scrutinize is if they think the badge is counterfeit.

The shuttle schedule on the badges is usually pretty accurate.

When did passes become transferable?

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Always. They've never had any identifying information on them that would tie a pass to a specific person.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    Also even if it's not necessarily a "main thing" anything else going on during PAX that I haven't mentioned I will totally take into consideration as well...just suggest anything, really...

i believe this thread is what you are looking for.

this podcast may also be of use to you.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    ripresaripresa Registered User regular
    Does the hotel shuttle include all the hotels in the paxeast website? Like the banished in the airport Embassy suites at Logan Airport.
    (Clearly I didn't do enough research before booking my hotel).

• Options
    gamerman1227gamerman1227 Registered User regular
    BreeFaith wrote: »

Gonna be honest with you, if this year is anything like last year, even if they do run out, you won't be missing much. Last years Swag bag was nothing to write home about, in fact most people were keeping the bags and ditching the contents. I distinctly remember last year at the nearest trash bin to the area where they were handing them out, seeing a rather large pile of Magic cards, advertisements, and demo discs that people took right out of their bag and immediately pitched in the garbage. YMMV on this however.

• Options
    BUBBAZ00TBUBBAZ00T Registered User regular
    Hey gamers,

I bought a ticket for Friday only online at stubhub - the only thing is once i purchased it i received an invoice with a notification saying that the seller has not received the tickets yet and I will get them in the mail on the 21st of March. Is this normal procedure?? Am I possibly buying a fake ticket??

Any info is really appreciated,

Thanks!

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    That is how StubHub works when electronic tickets aren't involved, yes, but we can't say for certain whether or not you may have purchased a counterfeit badge or not. As there is no official resale method of passes, the safest way to buy a pass off of someone is to do it in person at the convention so that the pass can be verified as legit before any money changes hands. Obviously, this is not feasible for a lot of people, but that's the reality of the situation.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    BUBBAZ00TBUBBAZ00T Registered User regular
    I see, well then I suppose Im going to just cancel it because it seems a bit fishy that the tickets can only be mailed a day before the event.. thanks!!

• Options
    CyantCyant Registered User regular
    If he say hes gonna mail it 1 day before the convention then yeah it's most likely a scam.

• Options
    KrisstaKrissta New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Ok, this is so random, but I figured it should probably be asked here and a not in a new thread. I got my PAX pass yesterday, and flipped it over and read "rules." Immediately, I thought of the movie The Sword and the Stone, and said out loud, like Merlin, "Rule 4, no cheating!" and lo and behold, what is number 4? NO CHEATING! :D Am I just that slow that it took me three years to get? Or is this just a crazy random happenstance?

Ln5yLL7.png
  • Options
    JayDfromMAJayDfromMA MARegistered User regular
    Krissta wrote: »
    Ok, this is so random, but I figured it should probably be asked here and a not in a new thread. I got my PAX pass yesterday, and flipped it over and read "rules." Immediately, I thought of the movie The Sword and the Stone, and said out loud, like Merlin, "Rule 4, no cheating!" and lo and behold, what is number 4? NO CHEATING! :D Am I just that slow that it took me three years to get? Or is this just a crazy random happenstance?

there is no such things as coincidence, only the illusion of coincidence.

• Options
    N13N13 Registered User regular
    How does tournament signup work? Do I need to sign up for everything Friday morning, or can I come to the tournaments (opening rounds, obviously) if I have time, sign up, wait a bit, and play?

• Options
    gonexallgonexall PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    I will hopefully be in a D&D Next game that will last until about 11 p.m. on Saturday. Can I go the Main Theater after and see if there is room to join the concert due to people who left, or must I be there from the start to see the concert?

• Options
    mgriff3456mgriff3456 Registered User regular
    gonexall wrote: »
    I will hopefully be in a D&D Next game that will last until about 11 p.m. on Saturday. Can I go the Main Theater after and see if there is room to join the concert due to people who left, or must I be there from the start to see the concert?

No your welcome to join the concert at any point as long as the capacity isn't full. I did this last year with both concerts and was able to get in with a friend much after the concerts had already started. As long as there is room in the Main Theater they will let you in,

• Options
    How early should I line up to get a very good concert location?

This discussion has been closed.