As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX EAST 2013 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm pretty sure Merman can fit more than 75 people.

• Options
    zeromystzeromyst wat Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Merman can fit more than 75 people.
    Whoops, meant to put 375 - fixed it now

CRANK UP THE C. CRANK UP THE D.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    zeromyst wrote: »
    Josh5890 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a rough estimate as to what the capacity of the theaters are?
    Rough estimates are below

Main Theatre - 3200 (Panels) / 3500 (Concerts)
    Phoenix Theatre - 1200
    Arachnid Theatre - 800
    Naga Theatre - 800
    Wyvern Theatre - 800
    Corgi Theatre - 400
    Sphinx Theatre - 400
    Merman Theatre - 75

Pulling fire code numbers from the BCEC specifications, all rooms in "Theater" configuration:
    http://advantageboston.com/BCEC/Floor-Plans-and-Specs/Room-Configurations.aspx

Main Theater - 5020
    Phoenix Theater - Room 210ABC - 1568
    Wyvern Theater - Room 205ABC - 960
    Arachnid Theater - Room 253ABC - 960
    Naga Theater - Room 258ABC - 960
    Sphinx Theater - Room 107ABC - 601
    Corgi Theater - Room 104ABC - 601
    Merman Theater - Room 052AB - 752

So somewhere between what zeromyst posted and what I posted is probably correct.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    zarvokzarvok Registered User regular
    Any chance we could get a detailed map of the tabletop area like the one for the expo hall? Last year it was pretty hard to find the various exhibitors and events in there.

• Options
    TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    Also don't forget about the food trolley! The BCEC runs a trolley out to local restaurants around boston. You should check the BCEC website for info on that.

Edit: link http://advantageboston.com/BCEC/BCEC-Dining/In-the-Neighborhood.aspx
    Hopefully there will be more/better signage for these trolleys this year. I had no idea where the pickup/dropoff locations were when I tried to hunt them down last year. I probably could have tried the info booth, but (due to sensory overload) I was not thinking about much more other than I NEED TO EAT at that point in time.

I believe the pickup/dropoff is outside the 1st floor food court entrance. I'm not sure though.
    Hrm, I might have to contact the convention center to get confirmation. I'll shoot them an email over the weekend.

• Options
    jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    Also don't forget about the food trolley! The BCEC runs a trolley out to local restaurants around boston. You should check the BCEC website for info on that.

Hopefully there will be more/better signage for these trolleys this year. I had no idea where the pickup/dropoff locations were when I tried to hunt them down last year. I probably could have tried the info booth, but (due to sensory overload) I was not thinking about much more other than I NEED TO EAT at that point in time.

I believe the pickup/dropoff is outside the 1st floor food court entrance. I'm not sure though.
    Hrm, I might have to contact the convention center to get confirmation. I'll shoot them an email over the weekend.
    That's where it was the last two years. There was a round booth with flyers near that door talking about it too.

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • Options
    RegimentRegiment Registered User regular
    Are the musicians coming on in the order that they're listed on the schedule (so on Saturday it's Sam Hart first, then MC Frontalot, then JoCo...)?

I never lose, I just win sideways.
  • Options
    TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Ok, I'm pretty sure I have my answer already but to be safe, I'm staying at the Hilton Boston Logan Airport, booked through the OnPeak site. I'm not seeing it listed on the shuttle schedule, here or map so am I stuck in terms of shuttles?

OH, and I remember the OnPeak site saying that a deposit on the room is supposed to take about a month before PAX but nothing's taken yet. Should I be concerned about this?

TopherRocks on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Regiment wrote: »
    Are the musicians coming on in the order that they're listed on the schedule (so on Saturday it's Sam Hart first, then MC Frontalot, then JoCo...)?

Yes
    Ok, I'm pretty sure I have my answer already but to be safe, I'm staying at the Hilton Boston Logan Airport, booked through the OnPeak site. I'm not seeing it listed on the shuttle schedule, here or map so am I stuck in terms of shuttles?

OH, and I remember the OnPeak site saying that a deposit on the room is supposed to take about a month before PAX but nothing's taken yet. Should I be concerned about this?

Deposit is only for those who are paying by check. If you used a credit card, then there won't be any charges until you checkout (though the hotel may put a hold on the funds at check-in), or if you cancel too soon to the event (usually 1-3 days prior), then you'll be booked for the first night's stay, at the very least.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    whypick1 wrote: »

Deposit is only for those who are paying by check. If you used a credit card, then there won't be any charges until you checkout (though the hotel may put a hold on the funds at check-in), or if you cancel too soon to the event (usually 1-3 days prior), then you'll be booked for the first night's stay, at the very least.
    We have a case of someone who is actually paying by check on our forums. No deposit was taken from him.

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    whypick1 wrote: »

We have a case of someone who is actually paying by check on our forums. No deposit was taken from him.

how is that possible? i thought the check WAS the deposit?

EDIT: this is the second time geth has instantly agreed with me in a week. i think this means we are in a relationship.

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    SonmakodoSonmakodo Registered User new member
    Is there a full list of games that will be on the showfloor? I really want to get my hands on Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3 and Watch_Dogs

• Options
    Sonmakodo wrote: »
    Is there a full list of games that will be on the showfloor? I really want to get my hands on Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3 and Watch_Dogs

the expo map shows which companies will have booths on the floor, but it is up to those companies individually to decide/reveal what they will be showing.

7YIpfE5.png
  • Options

That's where it was the last two years. There was a round booth with flyers near that door talking about it too.
    Ah, ok. I totally missed that booth last year lol.

• Options
    SonmakodoSonmakodo Registered User new member
    Is there a link to the expo map on the site?

• Options
    Jacob FrankJacob Frank Registered User new member
    What do I need to bring to roll call to obtain my badge if I do not get it in the mail

• Options
    What do I need to bring to roll call to obtain my badge if I do not get it in the mail

I assume you mean Will Call :) If you have not received your badges by March 16th (and you were supposed to receive them in the mail), email pax_questions@paxsite.com. They should instruct you on what to do.

If you are *supposed* to pick up badges at Will Call, show up with your registration confirmation sheet (with the barcode), and the Photo ID of the person whose name is on the registration in order to obtain those badges.

• Options
    YavariceYavarice Registered User regular
    I've read/heard there are shuttles available to the hotels that are a little farther out from the convention centre. Is there a schedule of hours and map of the stops? Is PAX actually arranging this service or is it generic shuttles that hotels provide everyday (ie can they handle the capacity of gamer migration?)

• Options
    Yavarice wrote: »
    I've read/heard there are shuttles available to the hotels that are a little farther out from the convention centre. Is there a schedule of hours and map of the stops? Is PAX actually arranging this service or is it generic shuttles that hotels provide everyday (ie can they handle the capacity of gamer migration?)
    http://east.paxsite.com/hotels-and-travel

Assuming that has been updated since last year, the shuttle schedule is on the bottom part of the page.

• Options
    YavariceYavarice Registered User regular
    Oh wow how did I miss that, thanks!

• Options
    GausGaus Registered User regular
    On the map, there is a Pokemon area next to the handheld gaming area. Is there any info on what that will be?

Professional assassination. It's the highest form of public service. - Chiun
  • Options
    The shuttle schedule was only very recently posted, so it would have been easy to miss.
    Gaus wrote: »
    On the map, there is a Pokemon area next to the handheld gaming area. Is there any info on what that will be?
    I have yet to see any info on this anywhere.

• Options
    Slam DunkzSlam Dunkz Registered User new member
    I have a question regarding selling of game items. While I was attending I was wondering if it was ok to attempt to sell some old MtG cards in the tabletop area if I could find buyers. Is this allowed?

• Options
    Thunderous_TThunderous_T Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    So I hear a lot about bringing games to play while in line, but I haven't heard much in the way of specific examples. Is there a list of them in another thread somewhere? If not, what are some good line games (note that I don't have a DS or Vita, but I do have an Ipad).

Prime 2017: Tickets soon please...
  • Options
    Slam Dunkz wrote: »
    I have a question regarding selling of game items. While I was attending I was wondering if it was ok to attempt to sell some old MtG cards in the tabletop area if I could find buyers. Is this allowed?
    Nope. You must be a registered and approved exhibitor/vendor in order to sell things at PAX.

• Options
    CabadrinCabadrin Boston, MARegistered User regular
    So I hear a lot about bringing games to play while in line, but I haven't heard much in the way of specific examples. Is there a list of them in another thread somewhere? If not, what are some good line games (note that I don't have a DS or Vita, but I do have an Ipad).

A lot of people bring Munchkin, Cthulu Dice, their 3DS / iPhone / Vita, Fluxx, etc. Pretty much anything that can be set up quickly and takes up little space.

e2TtnRd.png
  • Options
    wrccitroenwrccitroen New EnglandRegistered User regular
    Regarding Main Theatre:
    If there is a 30-minutes or longer gap between panels, the room will be cleared. If the gap is less, it won't be cleared.

Regarding the Satellite Theatres:
    They will always be cleared between panels. (There may be some rare exceptions to this, but they are very unlikely.)

Since there's no gap between Storytime and the Q&A, it won't be cleared. Looking at the schedule, this appears to be the only instance where a theatre will not be cleared between panels this PAX.

Since there is a 30 minute gap between Q&A and RT, I believe they will be clearing then.

I was looking at the game night in the Naga Theatre & all three are on top of each other with no time for clearing people out...I wanna see the second one (Jeopardy) but how will I get in if by some freak decision all the people decide to stay for the second show?

• Options
    rdrewsrdrews Registered User new member
    Do we need to talk with anyone or get permission or register to give away some free shirts in promotion for our Kickstarter game? We were thinking we'd just grab a table during open table top play and show off our game and give away shirts. Any reason we can't do this? I assume this wouldn't be a problem but figured I'd ask to be safe.

Also, we may bring a laptop to keep track of various things. Any reason we couldn't do this?

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Odds are not everyone will stay, but if you want to get good seats you'll need to sit through the first panels.

i.e. For the Jerry and Mike Q&A, I had to sit through the G4 and another panel.
    Not that I'm complaining. ^_^'

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    wrccitroenwrccitroen New EnglandRegistered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »
    Odds are not everyone will stay, but if you want to get good seats you'll need to sit through the first panels.

i.e. For the Jerry and Mike Q&A, I had to sit through the G4 and another panel.
    Not that I'm complaining. ^_^'

Ok good to know, thanks!

• Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    rdrews wrote: »
    Do we need to talk with anyone or get permission or register to give away some free shirts in promotion for our Kickstarter game? We were thinking we'd just grab a table during open table top play and show off our game and give away shirts. Any reason we can't do this? I assume this wouldn't be a problem but figured I'd ask to be safe.

Also, we may bring a laptop to keep track of various things. Any reason we couldn't do this?

You cannot sell anything or give away promotional material unless you are a paid exhibitor.

If you have further questions, you should email pax_questions@paxsite.com

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    rdrewsrdrews Registered User new member
    Is there a definition of "promotional material" somewhere? What if the shirts just have a logo on them? Would that count? If we just printed off some business card size pieces of paper with some text on it would we not even be allowed to hand those out?

• Options
    jayh0vajayh0va Registered User regular
    Sorry if this has been answered already...I couldn't find much about it.

This will be my second year, and I'm trying to learn from my mistakes of last year (going more than one day for starters...). We queued up in the main line last year, and made the mistake of going upstairs almost immediately. Turns out they didnt let people on the floor from the second level until the queue was empty. We are trying to get into the NAGA or Main theater right off the bat on Friday this year, so we should NOT line up in the main queue correct? I noticed people were able to access the second floor at 8am last year, so I assume this is what I must do. Can anyone tell me where to line up at 7:30 and/or how to get to the THEATER queue when the doors open at 8am?

npyymaqh3gup.png
  • Options
    SashanSashan Registered User regular
    I would guess take the Oxford English Dictionary definition of what promotional means. It isn't really an ambiguous term and is pretty inclusive of anything that references your game by words or by imagery?

• Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    jayh0va wrote: »

This will be my second year, and I'm trying to learn from my mistakes of last year (going more than one day for starters...). We queued up in the main line last year, and made the mistake of going upstairs almost immediately. Turns out they didnt let people on the floor from the second level until the queue was empty. We are trying to get into the NAGA or Main theater right off the bat on Friday this year, so we should NOT line up in the main queue correct? I noticed people were able to access the second floor at 8am last year, so I assume this is what I must do. Can anyone tell me where to line up at 7:30 and/or how to get to the THEATER queue when the doors open at 8am?

Doors to the BCEC should open at 8am.

If you'd like to queue for the Main Theatre, you can go directly upstairs to that line.

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    jayh0va wrote: »

You can enter the BCEC at the front entrance at 8am, and I believe you should be able to head straight to the naga theater to queue at that point. I could be wrong though, if an Enforcer that knows for certain wants to correct me.

• Options
    jayh0vajayh0va Registered User regular
    SmallLady wrote: »
    Doors to the BCEC should open at 8am.

If you'd like to queue for the Main Theatre, you can go directly upstairs to that line.
    You can enter the BCEC at the front entrance at 8am, and I believe you should be able to head straight to the naga theater to queue at that point. I could be wrong though, if an Enforcer that knows for certain wants to correct me.

Thanks!!

npyymaqh3gup.png
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Ed: Forget I asked.

PAX so soon!

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    Is there a definition of "promotional material" somewhere? What if the shirts just have a logo on them? Would that count? If we just printed off some business card size pieces of paper with some text on it would we not even be allowed to hand those out?

giving people business cards in a networking sort of way is probably not a big deal, but the essential idea here is that people have paid money to have designated booths so they can do exactly what you're looking to do. it is unfair (and against the rules) for you to occupy a table intended for free play so you can use it for promotional reasons, regardless of how you go about that. it is less about the kind of thing you are giving out than it is about you circumventing exhibitor fees.

7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    tvethiopia wrote: »

giving people business cards in a networking sort of way is probably not a big deal, but the essential idea here is that people have paid money to have designated booths so they can do exactly what you're looking to do. it is unfair (and against the rules) for you to occupy a table intended for free play so you can use it for promotional reasons, regardless of how you go about that. it is less about the kind of thing you are giving out than it is about you circumventing exhibitor fees.

Basically, if you are promoting a business endeavor at pax, you must be a registered Exhibitor. No exceptions.

This discussion has been closed.