As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pillars of Eternity: I updated the FUCK out of the OP, everyone! [Obsidian's New RPG]

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    I like me the charachter sheet.

pe-ui-character-sheet.jpg

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    New isometric RPG? What's it about- OH WAIT. Obsidian.
    shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

Seriously, why is this not in my pants already?

And how the hell did I not know about this thing sooner?

• Options
    edited January 2014

I could have sworn you already posted in here.

Anyway, you can get more information about it here and can buy it at $35.

http://eternity.obsidian.net/buy

C2B on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    I think it should be balanced between strength and intellect in some manner. It takes strength to use the weapon, but intellect to use it properly.

The difference between a musclehead slashing at breastplate and a trained swordsman stabbing at chink or going under a joint in the armor.

A quasi Dragon Age deal, where you just need the base strength to use a specific weapon (ie; rapiers 8, longswords 10, greatswords 14 or whatever). Then after you achieve that base level of strength, intellect increases damage.

Listening to most interviews with a combat athlete....tells me you don't need to be very bright to be the best.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    i'd love to sign into the backer store you just e-mailed me about obsidian if it wasn't down!

:(

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Man, nothing gets me more hyped than character sheets. I don't know what that says about me.

• Options
    Cabezone wrote: »
    I think it should be balanced between strength and intellect in some manner. It takes strength to use the weapon, but intellect to use it properly.

The difference between a musclehead slashing at breastplate and a trained swordsman stabbing at chink or going under a joint in the armor.

A quasi Dragon Age deal, where you just need the base strength to use a specific weapon (ie; rapiers 8, longswords 10, greatswords 14 or whatever). Then after you achieve that base level of strength, intellect increases damage.

Listening to most interviews with a combat athlete....tells me you don't need to be very bright to be the best.

Looking at the charachter sheet that already seems to have changed again. Strength doesn't even exist anymore.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    all of my characters will be surly because surly
    it looks like the backer portal is making their website get hammered

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    Yes, an all new pantheon of fantasy gods to familiarize myself with. This pleases me.

• Options
    Concentration is similar to Concentration in 3E/3.5 (somewhat similar to Poise in Dark Souls) but it is for everyone, not just spellcasters. Concentration prevents you from playing hit reactions when you take damage. If you cannot maintain Concentration, you will play a hit reaction and your attack/reload/spell is interrupted. We're still defining the system (in fact, I was messing around with the formulae before I sat down), but that's the general idea.

In the new scheme, Might affects damage/healing whether it's a single application or over time. Penetration is something we may or may not use in conjunction with an inherent Penetration value on weapons and other attacks that cause damage. I'm leaning toward "not" right now.

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    C2B wrote: »
    I like me the charachter sheet.

screenie

If that screenshot is any indicator, we may once again have a game with good character portraits. yay!

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Man, nothing gets me more hyped than character sheets. I don't know what that says about me.

I look at that character sheet and wonder What the hell does Frermàs mes Canc Suolias mean?

She is a Paladin. Is that her god, perhaps?

And because I didn't pay too much attention to the races and their names, does Godlike (Hylea) mean she's a Godlike from that particular race or if she's been touched by a god named Hylea.

And also, is all of this canon or just a placeholder?

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular

Talking and fighting ain't the same skill set. All sorts of intelligences.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

Looking at the charachter sheet that already seems to have changed again. Strength doesn't even exist anymore.
    Isn't that "Might"?

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Sawyer was kind enough to answer my question.

Turns out it means 'Brotherhood of the Five Suns'. I know just enough French to see how that kind of makes sense.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Praise the Suns. :D

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    The backer website is back up

http://eternity.obsidian.net/

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

HA. You were at least 8 minutes too late to be helpful. Because I was already buying it as I made that post. :P

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Sawyer was kind enough to answer my question.

Turns out it means 'Brotherhood of the Five Suns'. I know just enough French to see how that kind of makes sense.

Five suns on the plate.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    So they seriously changed the stat names again? "Might" sounds like a good catchall for the "hurt all things" stat.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    That screenshot has "The Devil of Caroc" as the longest-running party member. And who wouldn't?

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    So they seriously changed the stat names again? "Might" sounds like a good catchall for the "hurt all things" stat.

Now they just need to add Right, and you can have a Righteous Mighteous dude.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    So if they had a stat check, would you Test you Might? or would that just be a Fight

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Is there a way to do a late buy-in/funding for this? I missed out on the Kickstarter due to being jobless at the time.

Nevermind, it's on the site.

Esh on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    So I can be a Mighty Wizard. This sounds spiffy.

Edit: As pointed out below I fail at...seeing. Nevermind!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    That is quite some character sheet. Impressive.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    This was the first thing I ever Kickstarted. No regrets.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    So I can be a Mighty Wizard. This sounds spiffy.

Edit: If that glitch in the accuracy display is still there when they ship heads will roll! :P

What glitch?

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    The symbol is a hand. It says:

"R. 35
    L. --"

So apparently, Pallegina only has a weapon in one hand.

• Options
    The whole concept of Right and Left failed to present itself to me for some reason... carry on.

Though, I do wonder why they have everything abbreviated. Make that the compact mode, spell everything out in normal or something. I can't see them trying to save screen space nowadays.

• Options
    KiasKias Registered User regular
    Has there been any info on the release date? I backed this from the start and have since been avoiding everything I can about the game so I can come in on the story, setting, and all the excellent stuff I know will be here completely fresh. I would go digging through the backer info or this thread, but I know I will stumble in to content spoilers and I really want to boot up the game and have absolutely no idea what will be waiting for me.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    The symbol is a hand. It says:

"R. 35
    L. --"

So apparently, Pallegina only has a weapon in one hand.

Yeah, I'm guessing she's sword-and-shield at the moment, or something.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Kias wrote: »
    Has there been any info on the release date? I backed this from the start and have since been avoiding everything I can about the game so I can come in on the story, setting, and all the excellent stuff I know will be here completely fresh. I would go digging through the backer info or this thread, but I know I will stumble in to content spoilers and I really want to boot up the game and have absolutely no idea what will be waiting for me.

"Winter 2014". Make sure you go to the backer portal, though, to finish your order.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Oh man. Dat character sheet. I'm getting pretty pumped for this game.

I want to go play Mask of the Betrayer or something.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    dat area art.

dat character sheet.

ummmhp!

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular

HA. You were at least 8 minutes too late to be helpful. Because I was already buying it as I made that post. :P

And having been reminded that this game exists and is giving me a huge Icewind Dale II boner, I shall be buying it tonight when I get home.

488W936.png
  • Options
    KiasKias Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Kias wrote: »

"Winter 2014". Make sure you go the backer portal, though, to finish your order.
    Thanks for that! I am terrible about backing things and then not giving all the follow-up information the company needs!

steam_sig.png

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Didn't have internet for about a week because I just moved. So I spent that time playing Baldur's Gate 1&2. The experience has left me hungry for similar games. That's why I just pledged today, because I need that old school crpg fix!

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    The art for this game continues to blow my mind.

The first bits of art had me a tad worried (e.g. Edair and "initial" character concepts). They seemed a bit bland and made me a bit worried we might be seeing the blander side of Obsidian vs. their more creative (which I think we saw a bit of in Mask). The new stuff has made me a tad more hopeful.