Options

[Now with PbP!] Arkbound - Beer Run from Hell... in Space!

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    We still have that old camera right?

We could do an old fashioned photo-shoot.

Wait, this is starting to get silly.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    We can fight over who wears the dress later. Why don't we head up the corridor to 36/37, seeing as the robot probably carved up anything that was moving there?

• Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    Busy few days. Will post shortly.

• Options
    KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    We should probably doodle/mark up the map so we can have a visual record of which areas we've checked out already.

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    You've looked around the whole of the lower cluster of rooms now (Rooms 43 to 53). Your obvious options are to head to the large area taken up by rooms 38 to 41 or head back to the long passageway that would lead towards rooms 36 and 37.

As you ponder the decision you hear a few rounds of shotgun fire in the distance. Sounds like it's coming from somewhere back in the direction you came from.

• Options
    "I see no reason to double back just to head into more trouble. Let's keep moving forward."

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    Seconded.

• Options
    I also agree. What a great team.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    As you press onwards you see that rooms 38-41 actually make up one large, 30m by 30m room, divided into four sections by waist-high panels. You enter the room onto a grated walkway that circles 10ft above the floor.

Each of the four work areas has a large machine in its centre, each of which looks disused and some visibly damaged. From this distance they look like a sort of oven or furnace. There are broken ceramic pots scattered around the rest of the work areas and none of the other tools look to be of any value.

The walls are scrawled with graffiti. Some highlights include "HAZE KILLS SLUMMERS" and "WAKE UP FROM HAZE". You are familiar with Haze as a sedative and hallucinogen that has become a recreational drug on the slum decks.

Lying on the walkway, near the hatch leading towards rooms 36 and 37, are two bodies. Each one is wearing a green Hazard Suit, concealing the person inside. They both appear to be dead and neither looks to be carrying any equipment other than their suit. Each suit has a black, greasy "O" crudely smeared on the stomach and back.

All of the exits on the map are present and have closed hatches that can be opened by hand.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Do we have any way to check for atmospheric hazards (NBC/anything that would require a hazard suit?)?

• Options
    You don't have any specific atmospheric sensors or anything. You were told the area was now free of such hazards and so far you haven't choked to death.

Of course, there's nothing to stop you stealing one of these hazard suits.

• Options
    "Kilns, maybe?" Abnett muses to himself, as he moves to check out the bodies.

• Options
    Each body looks to have been battered quite nastily. No sign of any impact that penetrated the suit, so looks like both were killed by blunt trauma.

• Options
    "Looks like somebody's not a fan of Haze bein' produced down here. May be best not to go donning those haz-suits unless we want to get lumped in with them." Egon moves to check the corridor leading toward room 54, hoping to see if there's any sign of the attackers or which way they went.
    FYI I'm abroad from friday 26th until wednesday 31st. Might be able to get a post or two in, but don't wait on me.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    "Kilns, maybe?" Abnett muses to himself, as he moves to check out the bodies.

"Likely vats used to concoct that vile drug."

Leoben glances around the room, "Whoever took out these drug manufacturers really did a number on the joint. I'm with Egon, no need to lump ourselves in with this lot and get crushed along with 'um."

- Terence McKenna
  • Options
    Kantol will drop down and investigate the machines more closely.

• Options
    It looks like the machines were effectively ovens. Looking at some of the clay pots left behind there's some grey residue left inside. None of the ovens seem functional any more and some have clearly been deliberately sabotaged.

• Options
    Opening the hatch to the passageway to room 54 reveals a conversation in the distance. It sounds like the three voices are in the room itself, some 30m down the passageway.

Excited Man: "He killed them because they were weak. Neither of those guys served Ora the way we did, so I bet this means he's got a reward waiting for us!".
    Apprehensive Woman: "How can you know that? Maybe he's gone insane."
    Excited Man: "Don't forget who you're talking about! If it wasn't for him, you'd be dead like the rest of them."
    Aggressive Woman: "Whatever the reason, he's pissed. The best we can do is kill off some of the intruders and make it clear this is Ora's deck. When the message gets around he'll have his deck back and have us to thank! Let's go and see who we can find."

You hear some movement and it sounds like the three of them are starting to head towards your current location.

• Options
    Upon hearing the footsteps of the approaching group, Leoben takes cover on his side of the opened hatch, around the corner and out of sight of the hallway. He draws up his SMG and takes a deep breath, preparing to fire at the targets when he hears them walk closer down the passage.

- Terence McKenna
  • Options
    Kantol will take out his bolt rifle and get ready.

He starts searching his mind. Ora. Has he heard that name before?

Rolling for Rule X if necessary.
    1d6=5

• Options
    It's not a name you're familiar with.

• Options
  • Options
    As you're still in the factory room (38-41) there is cover behind the oven machines and various workstations on the lower deck, but it would leave you below any attackers. On the walkway itself there isn't any cover besides the corner of the doorway if you were to attack your targets while in the passageway.

• Options
    Abnett glances down below the grating, and considers for a moment. He spits, shrugs, and glances at the power level of the fusion pistol. Satisfied in his equipment, he rounds the corner and squeezes off a shot at the leader.

The searing bolt burns an instantly cauterized wound across the aggressive woman's cheek.

"I didn't have to miss. Lay down your weapons, or the next one goes through your eye."
    Apologizes if I took too much license with the die roll, I'm in a dramatic mood.

• Options
    Hectic weekend. Post might have to wait until tomorrow morning.

• Options
    The three of them scramble for cover, diving behind the corner of the doorway in Room 54. You hear frantic talking for a moment before a voice calls out.

Aggressive Woman: Whoever's there, I don't think you understand where you are. If you drop your guns and leave now we can forget we saw you. If you stay there you're going to die.

You can make out a quieter conversation between the other two.

"Yeah, he's on his way. Hold up here."

• Options
    I say we keep shooting at them. We don't want them coming after us later with stronger forces. That said, I would rather someone else draw them into my firing range because I am best when standing still.

• Options
    As you caught them by surprise I'm going to give you all another round of shooting before they can act. They're at Short Range and have Concealment and Cover for 2 Complications.

• Options
    Egon's SMG rattles off a response to the ultimatum. "Sounds like they got more boys coming. I say we flank em- that way if there're too many it'll be easier to back off."
    2d6+2 = 6
    2d6+2 = 8
    2d6+2 = 10

Not sure if I needed three seperate rolls, but I flubbed it anyway.

• Options
    Egon's fire echoes through the corridor but fails to find a target.
    Yeah, when you rapid fire you can attack (in the case of an SMG) three different targets and make a separate roll for each.

• Options
    "That means moving through rooms we haven't been in, Egon. Still wanna give that a go?"

• Options
    Kantol Molsk tries to aim at the Aggressive Woman and fires his rifle
    2d6+4=13
    If I hit, I'll deal 1d6+1= 2 damage.

• Options
    Leoben whips around the corner and fires at the two targets before pulling himself back around the doorway and into cover.
    Shooting Excited Man: 2d6+3 = 10
    Shooting Aggressive Woman: 2d6+3 = 7

Both shots miss.

- Terence McKenna
  • Options
    "Hell, if we run into more trouble maybe we can get 'em to follow us into it. Better than staying here and getting over-run."

• Options
    Abnett snapped off a shot and fell back around the corner. "Kantol, Leoben - can you hold them here? Egon and I can try to flank."

• Options
    Leoben looks over at Abnett with a grimace, "Hold 'em off? Sure. Actually hit the bloody bastards? Not likely."

- Terence McKenna
  • Options
    "I'll do my best, but I make no promises."