Options

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - When this thread started phones had headphone jacks

• Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Can somebody recommend a quality standard case for an ipad air 4. (Backside + Screencover, Magnets for Wakeup, and a flap which covers the pencil when closed, a stand or sth. to prop it up).
    The cases I find at amazon.de appear to be china reseller "I bought my reviews" throw away products. The Apple one is basically a china case with an 500% markup. My previous Apple cases weared out pretty fast. Apple.de currently has nothing much to order except the 150 - 199 Euro Logitech Folio and its own cases. (Edit: I would like to get the Otterbox from Apple if it were available.)

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    OtterBox Symmetry 360? I've never used one but it has all the features you want, and OtterBox cases are usually extra-sturdy, with a long a warranty.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    I've had very very very pleasant experiences with the Apple leather phone cases; the ones for iPad seem to be the same type/quality. They're not like, Otterbox levels of bulletproof, but fit the bill nicely for me.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2020
    Decided it was time to try a new band for the watch. It comes with a black plastic case to snap onto the watch if you want it all black, but I like how this looks.

Had to remove every single link you can remove to make it fit though, on account of having the noodliest of wrists.

ygk2l0ldd10k.png8p8bd6kw9gmq.png

Echo on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    D’oh!

XS was in a case, but fell in an exceptionally bullshit way to the driveway.

The damned lens cover snapped off.

More annoying for trade/resale than anything.

• Options
    I figured out how to use Instagram on an iPad with a Magic Keyboard Folio.

54lri1xowrxx.png

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Uh. So I connected my iPad to charge it the way I always charge it - using the USB-C cable it came with, plugged into an Anker charger.

Today it started doing a thing where it charges for 10-15 seconds, then this pops up and it stops charging.

bjkjcah7ggl5.png

edit: that was when plugging it in via the Smart Keyboard Folio, when I plug it straight into the iPad it gives the same popup but seems to keep charging... for now.

Echo on
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Uh. So I connected my iPad to charge it the way I always charge it - using the USB-C cable it came with, plugged into an Anker charger.

Today it started doing a thing where it charges for 10-15 seconds, then this pops up and it stops charging.

bjkjcah7ggl5.png

edit: that was when plugging it in via the Smart Keyboard Folio, when I plug it straight into the iPad it gives the same popup but seems to keep charging... for now.

Reboot it. I've had that happen connecting devices to my damn Macbook. USB is black magic, devices are black magic... Shit just gets confused sometimes.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I've also had that happen when the cable was going bad.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Well I finally broke down and decided to replace my phone since I decided to get a new watch and figured what not do both at the same time. 12 Pro ready for pickup this afternoon.

My 7 Plus was really feeling pokey this year. Lots of stuff just lags and hitches, even with turning off most of the UI stuff. My 7 plus made it almost exactly four years, which is a good run and the longest I’ve had a phone.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I upgraded to the 12 Pro from an XR and the differences are noticeable if not extreme. Everything is faster, of course, but the major upgrade for me is just the memory increase - I can switch apps without losing my progress every single time, which makes a huge difference in usability.

Rear-facing LIDAR is also neat as hell, and the Measure app is actually very useful now with the improved accuracy.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Woooo work signed off on paying for new MBP and pro ipad.

The only downside, I didn't think really think of, is I won't be able to play eve or warcraft 3 on the new MBP with it having an ARM chip. I'll have to check to see for methods around that.

Quick question for people here as well, I went from a iPhone Xs to and 11 Pro, and the camera on the 11 Pro seems much worse, specifically in the portrait mode. The images seem to have terrible pixelation and I can't figure out why.

Anyone else have issues with an 11 Pro on portrait mode? The camera in general just seems worse, but the Portrait I don't even use it's so bad.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Going from a 7 Plus to a 12 Pro and an aluminum Series 2 watch to a stainless steel Series 6 is a whole hell of a bunch of subtle but noticeable upgrades.

Six on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Dixon wrote: »

The only downside, I didn't think really think of, is I won't be able to play eve or warcraft 3 on the new MBP with it having an ARM chip. I'll have to check to see for methods around that.

Quick question for people here as well, I went from a iPhone Xs to and 11 Pro, and the camera on the 11 Pro seems much worse, specifically in the portrait mode. The images seem to have terrible pixelation and I can't figure out why.

Anyone else have issues with an 11 Pro on portrait mode? The camera in general just seems worse, but the Portrait I don't even use it's so bad.

Severely pixelated is usually an issue with one of the cameras, it might require a repair or having the phone replaced. Does it do it as well in normal picture mode when you are 2x zoomed?

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Of course Verizon messed something up and my phone is activated and now I can’t make calls and have to chat with them. I should have had this set up before I picked up the phone.

I’m setting this one up totally from scratch as well rather than restoring from an old backup.

• Options
    Oh my god this is the worst. My phone is still not active and solving this problem over Verizon’s shitty chat is awful

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

Severely pixelated is usually an issue with one of the cameras, it might require a repair or having the phone replaced. Does it do it as well in normal picture mode when you are 2x zoomed?

Shit yeah, the 2x zoom is def worse. Never really noticed but I get a slight cloudiness when I swap to that.

Ahhh that’s gonna be a pain in the ass, can’t go to an Apple store with the work phone.

Also god damn they announced a possible 14” mbp today, literally my order just went in.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    All right everything sorted and now I can enjoy things. So what cool stuff should I explore? Special audio with AirPods? Something cool with this lidar business?

Six on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    All right everything sorted and now I can enjoy things. So what cool stuff should I explore? Special audio with AirPods? Something will with this lidar business?

Use the measurement tool and measure EVERYTHING.....

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Oh, hey there thread, how you doing? Haven’t seen you around for a while… I guess this whole thing is screwing around with mobile use too…

Actually the reason I stopped by… you got any recs for iPhone 12 cases?
    Specifically something with maybe a kick/grip stand?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Not a case, but this looked nifty as both a card wallet, stand, and impromptu phone holder thingie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kID0qg3DtQA

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Thanks; I’ll have a look at that.
    I ordered an Otterbox Symmetry to start with (hard to beat free same day delivery) - will have to see how well it works with MagSafe accessories.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I'm debating switching to a 12 mini or 12 (leaning towards the mini) from my Oneplus 5T and getting an Apple Watch to replace my Samsung Gear Sport smartwatch. Both are going on 3.5 years old and while totally fine for my uses I've got an urge to get something new. The iPhone Upgrade Program sounds like a good idea to even though I usually buy my phones outright, but being able to get a new phone every year is an enticing option. Going that route would also give me the option to get the stainless steel or titanium version of the watch. I have the tendency to smash my watch into things so the extra durability over the aluminum would make a difference to me.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    I'm debating switching to a 12 mini or 12 (leaning towards the mini) from my Oneplus 5T and getting an Apple Watch to replace my Samsung Gear Sport smartwatch. Both are going on 3.5 years old and while totally fine for my uses I've got an urge to get something new. The iPhone Upgrade Program sounds like a good idea to even though I usually buy my phones outright, but being able to get a new phone every year is an enticing option. Going that route would also give me the option to get the stainless steel or titanium version of the watch. I have the tendency to smash my watch into things so the extra durability over the aluminum would make a difference to me.

If you don't already have an Apple Card and are looking to purchase the Watch outright, then this deal would be pretty good for you: https://9to5mac.com/2021/03/01/apple-card-6-percent-daily-cash-reward/

Otherwise, the normal 3% they offer on Apple purchases is good, too.

• Options

The iPhone upgrade is a decent deal. It's a two-year interest free loan. I've been on it for years. Note that you don't have to get a new phone every year. You can just keep your phone, keep paying on it, and in two years, it's yours.

Just never be late on a payment. Citizen One is the bank that services the loans, and it's pretty obvious that they make their profits from fees for missed payments. If you need to interact with them in any way, it's a huge pain in the ass: their website is slow and crappy and their customer service is terrible. Fortunately, you can (and maybe have to) sign up for autopay, so unless you need to change payment options, you never have to deal with them directly.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    The credit card will likely be something I get once I figure out exactly what I want to do. The issue I'm running into is that I'm on Google Fi and the upgrade program only works if you're on one of the four primary carriers. I'd like to stay on Fi because it meets my very limited data needs and it's incredibly cheap. That may not be an option so I'll have to weigh buying the phone outright so I can use whatever carrier I want without any issues (but not be on the upgrade program) versus switching to a plan from one of the big four that meets my needs and stays in the $30-40 range that still works for the upgrade program. I'd rather not get the phone through one of the carriers if possible so I'm not tied to their services for two years. I wonder if it's possible to just get a plan prepaid or non-contract, switch my Fi to that for a month, then after the one month switch back to Fi.

It may just be easier to buy the phone outright so I can use whatever carrier I want, and then if the 13 offers something over the 12 that's really appealing (like a fingerprint scanner) I can try selling the 12.

Edit x2: The main feature I like so much on Fi is being able to respond to text messages on PC. However, there is no iOS version of Google Messenger, so one of the main reasons, other than cost, for staying with Fi doesn't work on iOS switching to something else may be the easiest option. I'm now finding out prepaid plans aren't eligible for the program, but temporarily signing up for a full plan, cancelling after 14 days, and then going prepaid is an option as annoying as that may be. Doing that on a yearly basis could be a real hassle and the credit check hits are not ideal. I have family members on postpaid plans that I might be able to use their information to set up the program or have them add me a temporary second line and then go prepaid.

Cormac on
  • Options
    It may just be easier to buy the phone outright so I can use whatever carrier I want, and then if the 13 offers something over the 12 that's really appealing (like a fingerprint scanner) I can try selling the 12.

Yeah, it's weird that in the US they require you to have a plan with one of the big four. They'll sell you the phone unlocked, but you still have to have the plan.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    So I jumped ship to an iPhone

I don't know if it was Samsung or Verizon or both, but putting ads IN my notification bar is a big ol fucking nope

I gotta say tho, that magsafe wireless charger is p sick.

(Red iPhone 12 regular, I'm not what you'd call a phone power user)

jungleroomx on
  • Options

I don't know if it was Samsung or Verizon or both, but putting ads IN my notification bar is a big ol fucking nope

Really? I haven’t seen this happen outside an installed app pushing something.

That is shitty, I really hope that doesn’t become widespread.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Really? I haven’t seen this happen outside an installed app pushing something.

That is shitty, I really hope that doesn’t become widespread.

ruohk3m15217.jpeg

I was looking at something to replace my Note 9 when that happened and I just couldn’t do it anymore

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    This is driving me insane, hopefully someone here can help out.

Today, for whatever reasons, my Netgear 74500 router decided to drop a bunch of devices from the 5GHz router band. Through a daylong process of resetting various devices Wi-Fi settings, I was able to get everything back to where it's supposed to me.

Except for my 2020 iPad Pro - the 12.4 inch one or whatever without a physical home button.

I've reset this things WiFi settings a few times, I've rebooted a few times, and while the iPad Pro itself will show itself connected to both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz band, it won't actually load any websites.

Because of this, I can't do a factory reset? I've tried doing it remotely through icloud.com and when I select 'Erase all Content and Settings' through the General Options menu, it just sits there with the rotating loading icon and doesn't do anything. I've had it plugged in sitting at that loading icon for about thirty minutes now.

Any idea how to do a factory reset without any WiFi?

EDIT:. Hours later and a phone call with Apple got everything working. The guy had to remote access in. It's been a long day.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    My folks have a plan with AT&T and my mom's phone is old and busted. I was going to get her like 7S Plus, but her local store doesn't carry anything older than the X, and I guess after some googling it looks like 7s might not get iOS updates after 14.

What's the most cost effective way to get my mom a new iPhone with a big screen? An XS Max?

• Options
    Either used from places like Swappa or see what Apple has refurbished.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Either used from places like Swappa or see what Apple has refurbished.

I think she can get a refurb XS Max right at the AT&T store. Trying to call ahead because she's worried about getting upsold.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    One thing worth noting is that if you were already looking at a device the size of the old "Plus" sized iPhones, the iPhone Xr and iPhone 11 are roughly the same physical size as the iPhone 8 plus but have much bigger screens thanks to the reduced bezels.

I'm just going to link to the image because it's big and I'm too lazy to resize.

https://cnet1.cbsistatic.com/img/ydgR6LL1t5t15eoAGR_iNVKJTSg=/2018/12/08/a1cfbf98-377c-4ea8-bbcf-992cfe579325/iphone-xr-iphone-8plus-2.jpg

So you can go back as far as an iPhone Xr if you want something new has a bigger screen. I know pandemic is a thing but if you can get to a place where she can see the size difference between something like an iPhone Xr, 11, or a "Max" sized phone, that may help.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Well I took the plunge and switched over to a 12 mini on the upgrade program, got a series 6 stainless steel watch, and joined Apple Pay. Debating also getting Air Pod Pro's but I think I'm going to wait for the Master & Dynamic MW08's that come out on the 30th.

Joining Apple Pay proved to be a bit of a hassle (had to wait 4 days to be approved) as was transferring my Android stuff to the new phone. It took about a half hour of trying again and again with the Move to iOS app but it finally worked. So far so good though with everything else. Now to spend the next few days figuring out what Reddit, Twitter, and other replacement apps to use in place of what I was used to on Android.

I've yet to find a Twitter app I'm entirely happy with. Tweetbot and Twitterific are alright, but they're both missing things like setting how many tweets I want shown on refresh or single click to skip all the way to the top. Maybe that's a paid feature on both of them. Other than the stock Twitter app are there any others worth trying? Otherwise I'm mostly using the iOS version of the Android apps and they're all perfectly fine (as expected).

Cormac on
  • Options
    single click to skip all the way to the top

Can't speak to any apps specifically but in general you can tap (or double tap) at the top of the display in the menu bar to go all the way to the top; maybe give that a try?

• Options
    KPC wrote: »
    single click to skip all the way to the top

Can't speak to any apps specifically but in general you can tap (or double tap) at the top of the display in the menu bar to go all the way to the top; maybe give that a try?

That worked! Thanks.

• Options
    Well I took the plunge and switched over to a 12 mini on the upgrade program, got a series 6 stainless steel watch, and joined Apple Pay. Debating also getting Air Pod Pro's but I think I'm going to wait for the Master & Dynamic MW08's that come out on the 30th.

Joining Apple Pay proved to be a bit of a hassle (had to wait 4 days to be approved) as was transferring my Android stuff to the new phone. It took about a half hour of trying again and again with the Move to iOS app but it finally worked. So far so good though with everything else. Now to spend the next few days figuring out what Reddit, Twitter, and other replacement apps to use in place of what I was used to on Android.

I've yet to find a Twitter app I'm entirely happy with. Tweetbot and Twitterific are alright, but they're both missing things like setting how many tweets I want shown on refresh or single click to skip all the way to the top. Maybe that's a paid feature on both of them. Other than the stock Twitter app are there any others worth trying? Otherwise I'm mostly using the iOS version of the Android apps and they're all perfectly fine (as expected).

I recommend Apollo for Reddit. And Tweetbot does let you skip to the top. Just tap the title of the feed and it should turbo scroll you up to the first post. Twitterific and Tweetbot are pretty much the big two on iOS that aren't the official Twitter client.

• Options
    htm wrote: »

I recommend Apollo for Reddit. And Tweetbot does let you skip to the top. Just tap the title of the feed and it should turbo scroll you up to the first post. Twitterific and Tweetbot are pretty much the big two on iOS that aren't the official Twitter client.

I used narwhal for reddit, but I'm more of a lurker than a poster, so YMMV.