As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - When this thread started phones had headphone jacks

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    I have a fancy Paperlike thing. At the moment I prefer how it looks and reduces the glare and makes it less of a fingerprint magnet, but lately I've considered taking it off.

That's exactly the one I had. I just found it got... grungy.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Apple event next Tuesday. Assumption is new iPad Pro's will be announced. Glad I decided to wait. Assuming they follow past Apple events and they go on sale that day, I'll be ordering a 12.9" iPad Pro with all the goodies.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    The iPad Mini is due a refresh as well. To bad I just bought a new one two weeks ago for my son's birthday. I knew it a refresh was likely soon but if it ends up being a literally a couple weeks later that's still gonna sting a bit.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Hoping those mythological AirTags also drop.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

Well, the feature has dropped and companies are making find my products right now.

It would be weird if apple didn't have their hardware ready near the time the software was generally available...

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    AirTags are certainly real it's just a matter of if/when they release.

I know several things I will put some on immediately when they do drop though.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    It is funny how completely this is going to gut tile though. Every single iPhone, iPad, MacBook and Apple Watch with cellular service becomes part of the discovery network, day 1.

It took tile years to get to even 5% of the density apple will have on day one.

And the end result will be that tile will become a worse product on the android side as half of their userbase falls off over the next year.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Unless Tile somehow starts selling Find My ready devices… it would be nice if Apple set this up like Home connectivity for third parties to integrate directly into their hardware without having to slap widgets on everything…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    I discovered that we have the Airpods Max on the EchoCorp tech list, so that means I can get them for about 50% off. Big hmmmms.

I have a pair. They sound pretty great. Of the over-the-ear headphones I’ve owned over the decades (Grado 225s, Sennheiser 600s, Drop Fostex 00s), they’re my favorite, though they don’t rock out quite as hard as the Grados or the Fostex. I especially love them for Jazz. I’d describe their sound as “competently tight bass that’s nothing like the Beats sound, amazing mid-range, and treble that strides right up to the borderline of sibilance without crossing it.”

They’re also amazing for watching movies/TV on iPhone or iPad. Apple’s “spatial audio” processing is black magic fuckery and keeps the sounds centered on the screen.

Whether they’re worth it or not depends on your budget, but at 50% off, I don’t think you’d regret them if you’ve bought other high-end headphones before.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2021
    htm wrote: »
    I discovered that we have the Airpods Max on the EchoCorp tech list, so that means I can get them for about 50% off. Big hmmmms.

I have a pair. They sound pretty great. Of the over-the-ear headphones I’ve owned over the decades (Grado 225s, Sennheiser 600s, Drop Fostex 00s), they’re my favorite, though they don’t rock out quite as hard as the Grados or the Fostex. I especially love them for Jazz. I’d describe their sound as “competently tight bass that’s nothing like the Beats sound, amazing mid-range, and treble that strides right up to the borderline of sibilance without crossing it.”

They’re also amazing for watching movies/TV on iPhone or iPad. Apple’s “spatial audio” processing is black magic fuckery and keeps the sounds centered on the screen.

Whether they’re worth it or not depends on your budget, but at 50% off, I don’t think you’d regret them if you’ve bought other high-end headphones before.

I have the option of those or Shure SRH1540. The Shures are cheaper, but them being wired is a big drawback. I think my AirPods Pro sound just fine for when I'm out and about and I don't think I'd use the AirPods Max anywhere but home or for highly hypothetical non-covid travels.

I've never had any higher-end/studio headphones before, so I'm feeling a bit lost here. That said, I am definitely an Apple Person™, so leaning toward the AirPods Max at the moment.

I listen to a lot of industrial/electronic stuff so I likes me my bass, but I think the AirPods Pro deliver just fine for what I listen to, and I'm assuming the Max can keep up.

Echo on
  • Options
    AirPods Pro for 50% of their regular price is the correct price for them. If you're in the apple ecosystem and you can snag a pair of them for half off, that's a good solution.

I just hate hate hate hate hate that they charge via lightning.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    AirPods Pro for 50% of their regular price is the correct price for them. If you're in the apple ecosystem and you can snag a pair of them for half off, that's a good solution.

They also charge wirelessly which is nice. I bought a charging stand that’d got a spot for a phone, an Apple Watch, and a back spot for AirPods and it works great.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Six wrote: »

They also charge wirelessly which is nice. I bought a charging stand that’d got a spot for a phone, an Apple Watch, and a back spot for AirPods and it works great.

I actually meant AirPods Max, not pro. I need more coffee. But yes, if a product was 50% of the MSRP saying "this is a good price for it" would generally apply. :rotate:

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Oh yeah. I’d never consider the Max because of that I don’t think. Once my QC35s bite the dust I’m probably going with Sony.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Yeah, I have QC35's for the few times I need/want over the ear (which is mostly just on planes). 99% of my listening is done on my AirPod Pros. Despite being a huge music head who has music going probably 70% of my life, I'm not a big audiophile. Much more concerned about convenience.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    For all the talk of the convenience of Airpod Pro's the Master & Dynamic MW08's I got last week connect to my phone the instant I take them out of the case. They also sound absolutely fantastic. Definitely better than my Sony WH-1000XM3's and compare surprisingly well to my Focal Elears. The soundstage is also better than either and frankly astoundingly good for earbuds.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options

I have the option of those or Shure SRH1540. The Shures are cheaper, but them being wired is a big drawback. I think my AirPods Pro sound just fine for when I'm out and about and I don't think I'd use the AirPods Max anywhere but home or for highly hypothetical non-covid travels.

I've never had any higher-end/studio headphones before, so I'm feeling a bit lost here. That said, I am definitely an Apple Person™, so leaning toward the AirPods Max at the moment.

I listen to a lot of industrial/electronic stuff so I likes me my bass, but I think the AirPods Pro deliver just fine for what I listen to, and I'm assuming the Max can keep up.

The Maxes sound better in every respect vs. the Pros (and the Pros sound great for ear buds, imo). Their other big advantage over the Pros is battery life. I think they go 15 hours or so on a single charge. They’re also built like tanks. I’ll never complain about Apple Full Metal Build Quality, but they are bit heavy. Perhaps the worst thing about them, aside from the price, is that their case is goofy AF.

The Shures are probably great, too. I’ve never listened to Shure over the ear headphones, but I have a pair of Shure IEMs that are so old I can’t remember the model number and they still sound amazing. I just can’t be bothered with wired headphones for portable listening these days.

• Options
    Cormac wrote: »
    For all the talk of the convenience of Airpod Pro's the Master & Dynamic MW08's I got last week connect to my phone the instant I take them out of the case. They also sound absolutely fantastic. Definitely better than my Sony WH-1000XM3's and compare surprisingly well to my Focal Elears. The soundstage is also better than either and frankly astoundingly good for earbuds.

The convenience is from it being part of a larger apple ecosystem.

It is absolutely painless to transition from iPhone to iPad to Mac, no faffing about with bluetooth settings, etc.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    That's the convenience I'm talking about. The seamless transition around the eco-system is valuable to me. The deep integration with my phone and watch are also something I make use of daily, like for transitioning between transparent or noise canceling without reaching up for the hardware stem. It's little stuff and I'm sure I'd adjust without it...but I don't have to because the AirPods meet all my requirements + give me the extras.

• Options

Here's a clue.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Airtags dropped, price is fairly reasonable on the surface. $29 a pop and $99 for a four-pack.

A year of battery life and user-replaceable batteries. That last one is huge, though I think it’d be even neater if they could have worked rechargeable tech in somehow. Probably push the price and physical size up though.

Edit: Also the ability to detect if an airtag not in your system is following you around (a genuinely intelligent feature that also really emphasizes the cyberpunk dystopia we’re deep into at this point). I think Samsung stole their thunder by announcing a similar ability on their tracker tech right before the event, but I think Apple is set to take over this space easily based on price and features.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    New M1 iMacs also announced, honestly they look like giant, colorful iPads mounted on an aluminum arm.

I’ve been prevaricating over upgrading my computer for years now, and I’m tempted by these things. I do most of my desktop work through a remote interface, so the power is generally less important than price.

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    The new magsafe (or whatever they'll call it) connector is nifty. I dig the ethernet being available through the power-brick.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    The new magsafe (or whatever they'll call it) connector is nifty. I dig the ethernet being available through the power-brick.

Yeah, Ethernet was one of the few concerns I had with Apple’s love of minimizing ports. Adding it into the brick is a clever way to keep the functionality while streamlining things.

Starts at $1,299, which is substantially lower than I expected. Albeit that’s with only 8GB ram, so easily another 100 at least to correct that.

Still... They might have sold me here, though I’m looking at upgrading a bunch of non-USB-C peripherals as well, and I’d pretty much be setting PC gaming aside for a long time.

Edit: Fucking 2TB iPad Pro option, lol. Maybe people are doing some real video editing on these things, but I can’t begin to imagine there’s much demand for this.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    You must be way ahead in the stream? I'm just seeing them talking about the iPad Pro's HDR display.

e: I'm refreshing the iPad page...LET ME ORDER ONE APPLE. I want to give you money. This is a huge upgrade over my gen 1 iPad Pro.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    You must be way ahead in the stream? I'm just seeing them talking about the iPad Pro's HDR display.

e: I'm refreshing the iPad page...LET ME ORDER ONE APPLE. I want to give you money. This is a huge upgrade over my gen 1 iPad Pro.

If you mean the 2TB thing, it was sort of a quick mention in regards to RAW files and such, not part of the ‘here are the options’ round-up. Possible I misinterpreted, as I’m in roughly the same point in the presentation.

• Options

Yeah, that display looks... good.

I barely do real work on my iPad, and I already have a 12.9 Pro, but... so much temptation.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I use my iPad Pro a lot, for a lot of things...so for me it's a no brainer upgrade.

e: The fact that it finally has official XBox/PS5 controller support is a big deal as well. I may actually play some games on it now, especially when I'm away from home using things like XCloud (yes I know it only works in a browser, no native app right now).

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    I use my iPad Pro a lot, for a lot of things...so for me it's a no brainer upgrade.

Have you actually hit any real performance issues yet? I admit I mostly use mine (also first gen Pro) for fairly light tasks, but I’ve been really surprised how smooth everything still is. I’m tempted by an upgrade but legitimately have a hard time making a case for it given how well the old one is holding up.

• Options
    I have space constraints on my gen 1, and the HDR display will get a lot of use from me. Not to mention my gen 1's keyboard folio is falling apart, and I've been wanting a gen 2 Apple Pencil for a while. Performance wise my gen 1 is mostly fine, but it has it's moments where you can tell it's a pretty old device.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Now maybe I can get a previous gen Ipad at a cheaper price. They are a pure media consumption device for me, so I just need a decent sized screen and not abysmal performance.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Not bad for an event that’s basically, “all the stuff we won’t have stage time for during WWDC.”

htm on
  • Options
    Not bad for an event that’s basically, “all the stuff we won’t have stage for during WWDC.”

Yeah, this was a solid (if largely predictable) set of upgrades. Basically every device they touched on is right at that line of price point, features, and Apple ecosystem convenience where I get sucked in.

• Options
    Also, you can get the new Siri remote separately and pair it with the previous gen Apple TV 4K.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I'll be getting the new Apple TV. It's not entirely clear whether or not the new remote is included with the new version. Worst case if it's not I'll grab one of those too.

Edit: the new remote is included with the updated Apple TV.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    The pricing on the Apple TV remains befuddling. $180 for a 4k box when you can get competing devices that tick the same boxes from Amazon, Roku, Google, etc for the price of just buying a new remote. And most of those options have at least an Apple TV app, and some of them even have access to airplay if you want that native experience. The only real thing that the Apple TV allows is native games, which I'm sure there's a market for, but I can't imagine it's a large one.

I usually think that Apple stuff is priced about 15% too expensive, but for a lot of people and products if they want to spend the money, I usually say go for it.

But I just do not get the pricing on the Apple TV.

Otherwise, solid upgrades all across the board for what they announced, though I do wish they'd update the iPad mini.

• Options
    The pricing on the Apple TV remains befuddling. $180 for a 4k box when you can get competing devices that tick the same boxes from Amazon, Roku, Google, etc for the price of just buying a new remote. And most of those options have at least an Apple TV app, and some of them even have access to airplay if you want that native experience. The only real thing that the Apple TV allows is native games, which I'm sure there's a market for, but I can't imagine it's a large one.

Privacy is a huge advantage: pretty much all smart TVs and a lot of streaming boxes spy on you. With an Apple TV, you can keep your smart TV offline so it can’t phone home.

It has a lot of little advantages as well: probably the best video and audio quality of all the streaming boxes, zippy user interface, it’s a HomeKit hub, it has no ads in the main interface, its iPhone integration is great for password entry, its Siri stuff works surprisingly well, it has a lot of apps that aren’t just TV channels, its screen savers are genuinely beautiful.

Also, the TV calibration feature on the new one looks pretty cool.

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Since I can't find a (decently priced) graphics card for my hypothetical new desktop, that iPad Pro seems like an enticing alternative. I assume there will be some hands on of the 12.9" version soon to see if that extra cash is worth it (my guess: probably not worth it).

a nu start on
    Number One Tricky
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    So… can anyone tell me why the new iMac doesn’t appear to include Face ID? I sort of get the lack of Centre Stage and the wide front camera; they’re placing it as a traditional static desktop device where neither you nor it are expected to move around much, but not including Face ID when they went out of their way to include touchID is kind of backwards to me?

I mean, imagine that with fast user switching? You just sit down and blink, and all your stuff is there…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    So… can anyone tell me why the new iMac doesn’t appear to include Face ID? I sort of get the lack of Centre Stage and the wide front camera; they’re placing it as a traditional static desktop device where neither you nor it are expected to move around much, but not including Face ID when they went out of their way to include touchID is kind of backwards to me?

I mean, imagine that with fast user switching? You just sit down and blink, and all your stuff is there…

I think the problem with putting Face ID on an iMac is exactly what you said: it's static. Face ID uses an IR projector sensor that needs to be pointed at your face. The user can't pick up an iMac and move it around until it's at the proper range and orientation to lock onto their face. There's not even a guarantee that the iMac will be pointed directly at the user's face: it might be connected to a another monitor with its own display set up as a secondary monitor off to the side.

The keyboard, however, will always be at hand.