As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[2012 Presidential Election] Fewer Horses, More Hugs

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    alexwinterryan.jpg

Whoa.

Put Medicare in the Iron Maiden!

Excellent!

Here are your vouchers.

Bogus.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    BigJoeM wrote: »
    jhffmn wrote: »
    oooohhh

A new poll has Romney winning the hispanic vote in FL

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2012/10/13/exclusive_poll_obama.html

I wonder if that means the hispanic vote is shifting everywhere. This is good news.
    Call me when that happens in Texas, Arizona, NY or anywhere where hispanic != Cuban.
    Yup. The Cuban exile community is completely fucking insane, and will vote solely based on which candidate takes a harder line on Castro.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Also when that happens in more than one poll.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    oooohhh

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2012/10/13/exclusive_poll_obama.html

I wonder if that means the hispanic vote is shifting everywhere. This is good news.
    Call me when that happens in Texas, Arizona, NY or anywhere where hispanic != Cuban.
    Yup. The Cuban exile community is completely fucking insane, and will vote solely based on which candidate takes a harder line on Castro.

Is Castro still alive? (I did have to actually look that up, looks like he's still kicking.) I really would like to see normalized relations with Cuba, they are zero threat to us, which has been the case for almost the entirety of my life. Is this something that could theoretically happen after he does finally die, or will the hatred for him transfer over to the people in charge?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    oooohhh

Is Castro still alive? (I did have to actually look that up, looks like he's still kicking.) I really would like to see normalized relations with Cuba, they are zero threat to us, which has been the case for almost the entirety of my life. Is this something that could theoretically happen after he does finally die, or will the hatred for him transfer over to the people in charge?
    Since "the people in charge" is likely to mean Castro's brother, it will probably transfer.

And yes, our Cuba policy is fucking crazy. There's pretty much zero justification for it. The only reason it's still around is the electoral college.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    oooohhh

Since "the people in charge" is likely to mean Castro's brother, it will probably transfer.

And yes, our Cuba policy is fucking crazy. There's pretty much zero justification for it. The only reason it's still around is the electoral college.

Well, that and the fact that you need an incident to occur in order to make major shifts in policy. I'm hoping that after Castro dies we start reforming things so that we at least end the embargo and increase tourism visas or something so that it can start to become more like our relationship with Russia at the absolute worst. Its rather sad that we won't do anything earlier than that due solely out of spite.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Had the Sheriff called on me while canvasing today.

The Deputy confirmed I wasn't soliciting, ran my ID and wished me a good day.

The guy that called them scared the crap out of me though. He came out like he was going to start swinging.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Since "more voters" is generally a good thing for the people I like I always make sure I dont have anything on me that could link me to a party either way.

My whole aura is "less threatening than a Mormon"

• Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular

The guy that called them scared the crap out of me though. He came out like he was going to start swinging.

Where are you canvassing?

PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grQTuIYnreg

Video about Romney's outsourcing.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Drakeon wrote: »

I had this happen once in Alabama. Hilarious.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Since "more voters" is generally a good thing for the people I like I always make sure I dont have anything on me that could link me to a party either way.

My whole aura is "less threatening than a Mormon"

I don't know,

I'm pretty worried about the threat posed by Romney.

gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I have a feeling our policy towards Cuba will change once Hispanics start exercising their influence in politics by voting. The whole hive mind thing is bullshit, but last I checked US policy towards Cuba isn't popular south of our border and I suspect some of that carries over to a fair chunk of our Hispanic population.

• Options
    Our policy towards Cuba will change when Florida loses about 20 electoral votes.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Its hated by the Hispanic population. They risk their lives to come to the US and its the minutemen and deportation for them. Cubans land and its "Welcome tired freedom fighters, here is citizenship without having to wait".

It gets even worse with the new law that says Cuban's have to set foot in the US to get citizenship. Lots of Cubans land in Mexico and take the land route to the US. Walking the same paths as Mexicans with vastly different results.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    The government in Cuba is largely based on Fidel and to a lesser extent his brother. Once both are dead, I'd expect regime change anyway and Fidel is 86

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Just saw SNL's take on the VP debate. Pretty entertaining.

"Do I look like Jim Lehrer?
    "No."
    "Then don't fuck me like I'm Jim Lehrer."

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    No, we really don't have to wait for Florida to lose a significant number of EC votes. I know them dems have been making noise about normalizing relations with Cuba, so the Cuban ex-pat community doesn't have nearly the sway that Israeli lobby group has. In fact, Cubans only make up about 4% of Florida's population according to the 2010 census. If we assume that not all of them are registered to vote (not a citizen, felon or underage) and that not all of them are die in the wool republicans (I'm pretty sure the family party alignment starts breaking down once grand kids and great grandkids enter the equation), it's really a matter of just waiting for demographic changes.

• Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    Drakeon wrote: »

I had this happen once in Alabama. Hilarious.

It happened to me in Massachusetts.

• Options
    centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular

The text that goes with that:
    Right now in Freeport, Illinois, some 170 workers at an auto sensor plant are sleeping in tents to protest Bain-owned Sensata Technology’s decision to ship their jobs to China.

The company recently made factory officials take down the American flag when they were forced to train their Chinese replacement workers, according to Tom Gaulrapp, with the United Steelworkers Union.

That's un-American, my friends.

This is taking place as Mitt Romney tries to convince people to believe that he doesn’t know about Bain's shipping American jobs overseas. He is trying to distance himself from Bain Capital, a pioneer of outsourcing where Romney made a fortune as CEO.

Another employee losing her job, Mary Jo Kerr, is a young mom of three. She's heartbroken because she can’t afford dance lessons for her daughter. Another is Dot Turner, so close to retirement, but will not receive it. Instead Dot will get just 26 weeks’ severance for 43 years of work in the plant.

Listen to their stories in the video above, and be sure to note the Chinese flag flying in front of the plant at about 1:10 into the video...in Illinois.

When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    That video is brutal to watch. Just sad.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited October 2012

Right now in Freeport, Illinois, some 170 workers at an auto sensor plant are sleeping in tents to protest Bain-owned Sensata Technology’s decision to ship their jobs to China.

The company recently made factory officials take down the American flag when they were forced to train their Chinese replacement workers, according to Tom Gaulrapp, with the United Steelworkers Union.

This is taking place as Mitt Romney tries to convince people to believe that he doesn’t know about Bain's shipping American jobs overseas. He is trying to distance himself from Bain Capital, a pioneer of outsourcing where Romney made a fortune as CEO.

Another employee losing her job, Mary Jo Kerr, is a young mom of three. She's heartbroken because she can’t afford dance lessons for her daughter. Another is Dot Turner, so close to retirement, but will not receive it. Instead Dot will get just 26 weeks’ severance for 43 years of work in the plant.

Listen to their stories in the video above, and be sure to note the Chinese flag flying in front of the plant at about 1:10 into the video...in Illinois.

As awful as that story is, I am compelled to play devil's advocate on this one: How can you pin this on Romney? Is there evidence he advised Bain to do this? I get the general point of showing how ruthlessly companies like Bain perform their economic triage, but on this occasion the Romney connection is tenuous to me.

Basically the Romney!Bain point is best made with companies acquired while he was actually there (or possibly there, regarding that confusing stuff).

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    At best this would be a good way to point out how Romney's business experience probably isn't good for the US, if his former company that pioneered outsourcing, under his watch, feels that that is the best avenue in these hard economic times. It's also a good place to highlight how businesses are more concerned about profits and less so about who they have to step on to make them, so we shouldn't elect a President who thinks they need less regulations and much lower taxes.

I have to agree with RMS Oceanic that this one is probably less damning for Romney than some of the other stuff he has done. I doubt this is really making it out to the low information voters, where the emotional appeal could get a few new votes, fire a few pro-Obama ones up and demotivate some of the pro-Romney ones.

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    oooohhh

Are you serious? Am I missing some kind of satire here?

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

As awful as that story is, I am compelled to play devil's advocate on this one: How can you pin this on Romney? Is there evidence he advised Bain to do this? I get the general point of showing how ruthlessly companies like Bain perform their economic triage, but on this occasion the Romney connection is tenuous to me.

Basically the Romney!Bain point is best made with companies acquired while he was actually there (or possibly there, regarding that confusing stuff).

Why?

I mean, from a practical standpoint it's still an effective attack and from a philosophical standpoint, it's pointing out what the industry he was famous for being a part of is all about.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Yup. One of the campaign points for this election is jobs.

Doesn't hurt to remind people what Romney's contribution to that was.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Yup. One of the campaign points for this election is jobs.

Doesn't hurt to remind people what Romney's contribution to that was.
    He created a 150k jobs!
    in Canada.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    YzhLD.jpg

Huff Puff, did someone say low information voter?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    LolkenLolken Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2012
    PantsB wrote: »
    The government in Cuba is largely based on Fidel and to a lesser extent his brother.

Not really.

Lolken on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Why?

I mean, from a practical standpoint it's still an effective attack and from a philosophical standpoint, it's pointing out what the industry he was famous for being a part of is all about.

Plus I believe Mitt Romney owns stock in Bain. This is literally class warfare profiteering.

• Options
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Why?

Plus I believe Mitt Romney owns stock in Bain. This is literally class warfare profiteering.

If so that would make the ad more damaging. The major problem is that I don't see many low information voters that might swayed by this ad ever coming in contact with it because it almost six and half minutes long. It isn't just a matter of getting out on a link they see, it's also getting them to sit down and watch it, which I'm a bit skeptical about.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I met someone this weekend who is planning on voting for Gary Johnson. Blew my mind.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    I met someone this weekend who is planning on voting for Gary Johnson. Blew my mind.

libertarianbadass.jpg

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Why?

I'm not sure if he still owns stock in Bain, but I would assume so. What is definitely true is that his retirement package gave him a percentage of Bain's annual profits, so he is still making money off the Sensata outsourcing. However, he almost certainly didn't have anything to do with the decision and I don't really hold it against him. Let's look at Bain and Bain Capital during Romney's tenure, not years after he retired.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I mean he did start the company and everything

even though he isn't personally responsible for its more recent nefarious deeds, when you're picking presidents, which guy is more likely to let Bain and its ilk just keep on truckin'?

Probably the guy that started and ran one of them.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    YzhLD.jpg

Oh look! Its my dipshit coworker!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    YzhLD.jpg

Oh look! Its my dipshit coworker!

Weed.

• Options
    PPP has Romney +1 in Florida. Because white people, basically.

• Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular

I know a few.

I'm trying to explain to them as peacefully and calmly as I can that this election is not the time to be grandstanding and making your big noble stand against the two-party system and maybe do it when there's less at stake.
    It's usually met with "Nope I'd rather just not vote then"
    Great thanks good to know you care more about being smug on facebook than actually fucking trying.

• Options

I know a few.

I'm trying to explain to them as peacefully and calmly as I can that this election is not the time to be grandstanding and making your big noble stand against the two-party system and maybe do it when there's less at stake.
    It's usually met with "Nope I'd rather just not vote then"
    Great thanks good to know you care more about being smug on facebook than actually fucking trying.

You just need to learn mockery.

"Gary Johnson is too mainstream, I'm voting for Lyndon LaRouche."

This discussion has been closed.