As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Wars Saga: Lost Hope IC

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Jado looked up at the Captain, defiance blazing in her eyes, but she quickly caught herself.

Taking a moment to regain her composure, she addressed the captain, keeping her tone serious and respectful: "Of course Captain. We are on your ship, and your word is law."

Looking at his expression, she added for good measure: "I give you my word that I will do my best to avoid this type of situation for the remainder of our trip, and please know that I appreciate the fact that I am being allowed to keep my freedom despite stowing away. I didn't mean any offense to you personally when I did it."

• Options
    KlivianKlivian Registered User regular
    Tendau slipped to the other side of Jado and cleared his throats as subtley as an Ithorian could, "Hydroponics is this way, Miss Jado. There's a problem on the number four 'vaporator and I had hoped you could assist me in the repair."

• Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    Arin had crossed her arms slowly and leaned back in her chair as what could only be described as a farce unfolded in the mess.

When the commotion had died down she simply looked at Jequin with a small, satisfied smirk. "I think if this is the kind of battlefield discipline the Alliance adheres to then Naboo falls every day by millimeters. That one," she said, gesturing vaguely toward the exit, "is a symbol, just as I am a symbol. We are weapons in our own right."

She set her helmet on the table facing him and it gleamed in the fluorescent light. "Different weapons are not equal in the skill required to utilize them, but they all require discipline."

The young Mandalorian stood up, tucked her helmet under an arm and strode to the exit.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Kandor stepped forward, his hands clasped within his robes before him in a way that he had always believed gave him a certain scholarly affectation. He smiled and bowed a little, not too low, but enough to show respect. Mon Calamari, especially those in the Alliance, tended to be honest, forthright, honourable and not a little direct. It was best not to play word games with them, they didn't really appreciate it.

"I am, thank you Admiral. Extended starship travel is not something I am used to but your crew have been most helpful in acclimatizing me to it. Also thank you for the meal you sent me, it was most enjoyable and your consideration is very welcome." He turned to the huge viewing screen beside them, gesturing at the magnificent stellar sights beyond it. "I must admit, however, if I had known this vista was here to see, I would have visited the bridge sooner!" The Admiral nodded. "It is indeed beautiful, Representative. But the bridge is a place of military command, there is little sight-seeing to be done here."

Kandor nodded his head, as if suitably chastised. "Of course, Admiral. This is first and foremost a military ship. I am simply here to provide a degree of diplomatic aid where it can be necessary." He didn't add that the Diplomatic Corps liked to have Representatives to make sure that Rebel fleets didn't do anything politically embarrassing. Few soldiers wanted to be reminded of Diplomatic overseeing from civilians. "Nevertheless. I assume you are a very busy woman, Admiral Nammo, and so I won't take up too much of your time. I believe a briefing was mentioned?"

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Jado walked in silence towards the hydroponics bay with Tendau in step. She battled waves of frustration and embarrassment with every step. She didn't want those people to treat her like some sort of celebrity, but she'd been sure that a quick word and a little flare would have made them happy, and that she could get in a bit of an educational message to stay strong in purpose as they fought against the Empire.

Obviously it hadn't been a great speech, but they'd seemed to like it, and it's not like she was doing any harm...

Breathing deeply, she centered herself. What had happened had happened, all that was left was to learn from her experience so that she could handle it better next time. The trouble is, she's not sure what action she could have taken that would have led to a better result.

"Tendau", she said quietly, "What do you think I should have done, when those people all surrounded me? Do you think my choice was a bad one?".

El Skid on
  • Options
    SakutianSakutian Registered User regular
    Kandor

Another Mon Calamari took the Admiral's seat and as she lead Kandor towards the nearby holoprojector. Tapping the controsl of the holoprojector she glanced at Kandor over her shoulder.

"Just before re-entering hyperspace we received a highly encrypted transmission, I think you should see it before we arrive in the Naboo system."

The holographic display flickered slightly and the life-size image of a silver haired man was suddenly standing on top of the table in front of them. The dark skin of his face was severely wrinkled around the eyes and the corners of his mouth. His ashen uniform bulged slightly around his round stomach, but he stood with the confidence of a man who was confident in himself and his abilities. Kandor recognized him from several of the datapads he'd been studying. The stone faced man was none other than Panaka, the highest ranking Imperial official on Naboo.

"Speaking with my full authority as the Moff of the Chommell sector I extend a request for formal negotiations between myself the Alliance of Free Planets to discuss my terms of surrender. If you accept my offer a representative who can speak for the alliance must come aboard my ship upon arriving in this system. Should you seek to liberate Naboo from Imperial control by force you will find that this world is not defenseless. I will await your answer."

The hologram faded and Nammo folded her arms across her chest. "What are your thoughts Representative?"

My Games

Dresden Files RPG- Dumb Luck

Playing Phillip Hess in Motor City Blues

GM of M&M "And Justice For All."
    GM of Dresden Files Low Life
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Into the Unknown
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Lost Hope- Concluded
    GM of Star Wars Sagas the Dark Times- Concluded.
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Jabba's Palace- Concluded due to injury.
    Bart Allen/ The Flash in M&M Metropolis- Concluded.
    Koyi Disturbances in the Force- Concluded.
    Jessup Owlbeard Forge of the Dawn Titan- Withdrawn due to injury.
    Sal Mander In the Shadow of Zeus- Concluded.
    Zevoto in Out in the Black- Withdrawn due to injury.
    GM of Wyvern Watch
    Berru Secune in Rise of the Jedi
  • Options
    Kandor smiled wryly at Nammo. Many thoughts whirled through his head, and he decided to share most of them with the Admiral. After all, he had no reason to keep anything from her yet. "I think that this is not unexpected, Admiral." Stepping towards the hologram, Kandor calmly observed Panaka's features from up close. Time had not been kind to the old man's physique, though he still maintained the straight backed arrogance that only an Imperial Fleet Officer could exude so thickly.

"The Emperor ruled through fear, not loyalty. Though some of his followers such as the late Lord Vader were indeed dedicated to his dream of an ordered galaxy, many amongst the Imperial hierarchy obeyed orders without question, knowing the price of disobedience." Turning back to the Admiral, he raised a hand towards the image. "The Emperor centralized his control, Admiral. And at Endor, that control was decapitated." Kandor punctuated his words with a swift and expansive sweep of the arm.

"Opportunities such as this will rise again, I think. Whenever they do, we must be careful to not treat them at face value, for the Empire is built on deception. But we must also not let the past actions of Imperial officials blind us to the opportunities of peace." The Imperial actions towards the Mon Calamari made for brutal reading. Kandor would not blame the Admiral for holding a degree of animosity towards the idea of peace, but considering the cost of war, that sentiment had to be gently dissuaded.

Nammo leant on her arm thoughtfully. "It is common knowledge in Alliance Strategic Command that Endor was a crippling blow towards the Imperial military structure. I was not aware that the political situation was much the same. If there is an opportunity here then we should almost certainly take it. I have my orders, representative, what do you intend to do?" That Kandor was here and able to operate at Nammo's discretion was unspoken and un-needed. They both knew how things were.

Looking over his shoulder at the outside view. Kandor shrugged. "I am here for this very purpose, Admiral. No military asset, simply a voice for the Alliance. I will speak for us all and, Force be willing, negotiate the peaceful and organized transition of control from Imperial to local hands. I'm sure if we give Naboo back to it's people they will be only to happy to join us, and though they may be a peaceful people the political capital they can bring to bear will aid us in the future."

All of which was true. Kandor hoped that Panaka would be co-operative. He'd had somewhat of a reputation when Kandor had worked in the Imperial Bureaucratic as a rather grim and militaristic fellow, even amongst Imperials. Not an easy man to bargain with, that much was true.

• Options
    Tendau's looked down at Jado and crinkled his brow in what passes for an Ithorian smile and clasped his hands behind his back.

"Young one, my father was a politician on the herdship where I grew up. Over his long career, he saw numerous young herdsmen come into a position of influence. At first, they overflowed with enthusiasm and passion ever striving to change things for the better. Slowly though, that passion and enthusiasm faded until the herdsman were as corrupt and jaded as the system they originally set out to change.

My father said that when a person has the spotlight of fame thrust upon them by the masses, one of two things happen. One, you become who they want you to be. Or two, you become who youwant to be."

He paused as they reached the large blast doors marking the entrance to the hydroponics bay and retrieved a code cylinder from a vest pocket. The blast doors slid open slowly with a pneumatic hiss when he inserted the code cylinder into the entry panel. A wave of hot and humid air washed over Tendau and Jado. The air was stifling compared to the rest of the ship and Jado found beads of perspiration already start to appear on her forehead.

Tendau stepped over the threshold and inhaled deeply. Hydroponics was his sanctuary, an oasis of soil and sun amidst the cold, sterile, and lifeless starship. Rows of planter frames stretched for hundreds of meters into the bay all connected by a dizzying array of pipes. Overhead, sunlamps beamed down casting a very yellow light in contrast to the pale blue of the typical ship lighting. Only a small number of the planter frames had plants growing however. A team of technicians moved busily among the empty frames repairing pipes and planting seeds in immersion racks.

Tendau turned back to Jado. "So the question is, was your little display and burst of patriotism what they wanted? Or what you wanted?"

• Options
    edited October 2012
    It was just then that the bridge door opened and a Mandalorian stepped in, helmet tucked under her left arm. "Moff Panaka took part in the battle for Theed before the onset of the Clone Wars a handful of decades ago," Arin said without preamble. "From his dossier he is by all indications an honorable man. He is also a formidable tactician and warrior besides. To take his message at face value is foolish."

She stepped up to the Admiral and Kandor, saluting the Mon Calamari and giving the diplomat a curt nod. "That said, he gains nothing of real value by taking one Alliance representative hostage. I see no reason to expect treachery."

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    Kandor smiled somewhat tiredly and tilted his head at the Mandalorian. What is she doing here?. "Your diplomatic concerns are... noted. However I place no value or reliance upon honour. To do so is to invite treachery open armed." Turning back to the Admiral, Kandor's face grew more serious. "I can assure you of nothing, Admiral. This man is powerful and dangerous, if he does have plans beyond what he has declared to us, as this delightful Mandalorian correctly suggests, his reputation will not protect us from incoming fire."

Then, with a small laugh, he spread his hands slightly. "That said, the worst may not come. If Panaka realizes that his situation is untenable then I believe he will capitulate but only should that be the case. He is an Imperial Officer. Arrogance is not a strong enough word to accurately describe the pride of such men."

• Options
    "Arrogance is assuming one's opponent falls into a neat classification such as 'prideful Imperial Officer'," Arin said simply.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    "I have dealt with many Imperial Officers in my time, Mandalorian. The very uniform they wear demands respect and fear from amongst the populations they rule. Arrogance is not something that comes about as a result of that position. Rather, it is trained directly into such men and women. They wear it as a shroud, and gladly so, for Lord Vader believed that to portray an aura of invincibility was to in fact be as such. One did not get far in the Imperial hierarchy without such boundless faith in one's own abilities."

Kandor paused, and bowed his head a little. "Of course, Endor proved that even the mighty Imperial fleet is not beyond the reach of the righteous. Perhaps when the Executor was destroyed, it cracked that Imperial pride a little. We can but hope, I am eager to see my assessment proved wrong. Believe me, it will make my mission here far easier to overcome."

Solar on
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    "Moff Panaka was Naboo's Chief of Security and protector of the Queen long before he was an Imperial Officer," she said simply, shaking her head. "You Alliance civilians are all the same. Mir'osik, never analyzing the facts. Too much reliance on ideals and dreams, so confident in yours and your enemy's symbols. Darth Vader is dead like any other man."

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Kandor laughed. "And who is making generalizations now? Men are nothing, symbols are what truly matter. Why do you think the Emperor spent so much time ensuring that his Imperials forces were swathed in grandeur and dark glory? Why were so many systems brought under his rule without the firing of a single shot? Leave the diplomacy to the diplomats, and I will freely leave the shooting to those who carry guns, my friend. It is an arrangement that has worked well in the past, let it reign here as well."

Aware that this little debate was probably not to the tastes of the Admiral, Kandor turned to her and bowed slightly. "But on such matters I do digress. The situation is clear, we cannot afford not to answer Panaka's request for parley. That said, caution is the word of the day. Nothing is ever certain. Let us not tarry, to do so is to invite suspicion where it is not needed. We will need a fast ship, unarmed, to carry the diplomatic party."

Solar on
  • Options
    Klivian wrote: »
    Klivian wrote: »
    Tendau's looked down at Jado and crinkled his brow in what passes for an Ithorian smile and clasped his hands behind his back.

"Young one, my father was a politician on the herdship where I grew up. Over his long career, he saw numerous young herdsmen come into a position of influence. At first, they overflowed with enthusiasm and passion ever striving to change things for the better. Slowly though, that passion and enthusiasm faded until the herdsman were as corrupt and jaded as the system they originally set out to change.

My father said that when a person has the spotlight of fame thrust upon them by the masses, one of two things happen. One, you become who they want you to be. Or two, you become who youwant to be."

He paused as they reached the large blast doors marking the entrance to the hydroponics bay and retrieved a code cylinder from a vest pocket. The blast doors slid open slowly with a pneumatic hiss when he inserted the code cylinder into the entry panel. A wave of hot and humid air washed over Tendau and Jado. The air was stifling compared to the rest of the ship and Jado found beads of perspiration already start to appear on her forehead.

Tendau stepped over the threshold and inhaled deeply. Hydroponics was his sanctuary, an oasis of soil and sun amidst the cold, sterile, and lifeless starship. Rows of planter frames stretched for hundreds of meters into the bay all connected by a dizzying array of pipes. Overhead, sunlamps beamed down casting a very yellow light in contrast to the pale blue of the typical ship lighting. Only a small number of the planter frames had plants growing however. A team of technicians moved busily among the empty frames repairing pipes and planting seeds in immersion racks.

Tendau turned back to Jado. "So the question is, was your little display and burst of patriotism what they wanted? Or what you wanted?"

Jado considered for a long moment. "Well, I wasn't really sure what they wanted, but I needed to do something to get them away from me, but without making them feel bad. And I did want for something good to come out of an uncomfortable situation." she scratched her head. "Does that mean I was trying to give everyone what they wanted? And is that bad?"

• Options
    edited October 2012
    "Indeed," Arin said and in a moment her subrepeating blaster was at Kandor's side, painfully shoved into one of his lower left ribs. He hadn't really noticed her inching closer to him in the short span of time they had been conversing.

The bridge tensed up visibly, several officers and troopers reaching for their own sidearms. "Just making a point. We're all men and we can all die. Just like if I hadn't dragged you out of your coffin on Coruscant."

She pulled the weapon from his side and placed it very deliberately in the holster. "I agree with his assessment for the most part, even if his reasoning is unsound and transparently grandiose."

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    Tendau shrugged his massive shoulders.

"Jado, I highly doubt historians will point to back your first tabletop speech as the beginning of your downfall. Everyone has their own idea of what a Jedi is... or was.... and they'll try to squeeze you into a box that fits their preconceptions." He tapped a fat finger to her forehead. "Be careful of the boxes you leap into, little one."

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Everyone on the bridge turned to the sound of a loud cough. Titus was standing near the doors, arms crossed. Kandor and Arin both sized him up immediately. The former had eyes that masked much...Titus could only see what Kandor allowed, but the Mandalorian held his appraising gaze with eyes of steel. After what seemed like an eternity, the jedi nodded almost imperceptibly, as if he approved of what he saw in the young woman's eyes.

"His reasoning is indeed unsound. If I were you Admiral, I'd leave the diplomat out of these talks. Panaka respects men..." he momentarily glanced back at Arin, "and women who have seen the battlefield. The Mandalorian is correct, he is by all accounts an honorable soldier and I do not anticipate treachery. I do advise caution though, as Panaka is the type of man who would test our mettle before relenting."

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Gently rubbing pinching the bridge of his nose, Kandor sighed. Would that there be a shortage of fools on this ship, and not food. "Ah yes, I was waiting to see when you would arrive, Titus. Forgive me if I do not trust the judgement of a man whose entire order was wiped out due to their inability to detect treachery in the heart of a certain Imperial Official." At the frosty look on the old Jedi's face, Titus raised his hands.

"And what do you expect? Glories to be showered upon you for your so very august presence? You-" he then span and pointed at the Mandalorian "-and you are soldiers. You expect honour. You demand it! I do not have the luxury of doing the same. Even if Panaka is as honourable a man you suggest, which is unlikely given that he is an Imperial Moff who has spent the last few decades enforcing autocratic law upon his sector, then there can no surety that there are not officers beneath him willing to betray us and him for their own success."

After a pause, Kandor forced a look of diplomatic contrition upon his face and turned to the Admiral. "Forgive me my outburst, Admiral. Prolonged starship travel is not something I have experienced since my youth, and never on such a vessel. It is not the best for my constitution. Nevertheless, my point still stands. Not that it makes any true difference, as our best option remains the same. We should accept Panaka's offer, and travel down to the surface. Let us get to it, rather than standing around and debating the finer points of your Imperial counterparts' moral standing."

Solar on
  • Options
    The Admiral nodded solemnly. "Very well, I will arrange for a shuttle to take you aboard the Diligence upon our arrival. However you will not be swimming into the Krakana's maw by yourself."

She stepped away from the holoprojector and moved back towards her command chair speaking over her shoulder. "Make whatever preparations you feel are necessary and then make your way to the hangar." The cruiser suddenly shuddered around them and several members of the bridge crew began shouting at one another in Mon Calamarian. Letting out a great Admiral Nammo pointed the Titus, Kandor, and Arin towards the door. "Now if the three of you will excuse me my ship becomes jealous whenever she doesn't have my full attention."

The sudden violent tantrum of the Mon Calamari cruiser was far more violent in the hydroponics bay than it had been on the bridge. A row of planter frames vanished into darkness as the halo lamps above them exploded in a shower of sparks and a section of piping started belching a great fountain of thick brown water across the floor. Several technicians were knocked off of the feet as the ship bucked around them.

Just as quickly as the tremor started it began to fade, in all it lasted only a matter of seconds. As the ship stopped trying to upturn everyone and everything in hydroponics the technicians started to pick themselves up off of the ground. A few were nursing scrapes and bruises but it seemed no one had been seriously injured.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Acrobatics check to stay on her feet during the tremor (1d20+11=12) I would have expected Jado to remain standing. Obviously she's been thinking too hard.

The normally sure-footed Jado was tossed to the ground by the violent tremor, and she banged her knee on a bulkhead on the way down. Despite the pain, she lept to her feet as soon as the last tremor subsided and looked around urgently. Grimacing, she sent a thought out to her master. Are we under attack?

• Options
    Slamming into the wall, Kandor imagined all the different ways that he would make Mon Mothma suffer for her transgressions. Ah well, he'd been in worse situations. Like that gala ball a few years back when he had been cornered by the Duchess of Sarkau. Cornered was no exaggeration either, Kandor had been surprised that the Duchess didn't have her own planetary satellites.

Getting to his feet, he dusted himself down and gave a little laugh. "Jealously is perhaps not the word I'd use, Admiral."

• Options
    Tendau caught himself on a nearby workbench as the ship shuddered beneath him. A tray of sprouts in glass incubators vibrates off the workbench and shatters on the floor. As the tremor passed, Tendau regained his footing and lets out a grunt of frustration as he surveyed the damage.

"And just when we were really starting to make real progress!"

Grumbling, he knelt down and began to sweep up the remnants of the sprouts.

• Options
    The tremors didn't phase Titus much anymore. He chuckled as he watched the diplomat sway around. I'll take some hyperspace turbulence over the jolts from turbolaser impacts any day he thought.

Leaving the bridge, the jedi traveled to one of the many barracks and found his temporary bunk. He donned his worn but well-maintained battle armor. It was snug, but wearing it always made Titus feel more at ease. He slung his trusty rifle on his back, and stored his long-dead master's lightsaber in his hold-out holster on his thigh. Now that the Empire was being pushed back, he probably could have kept it attached to his utility belt where it would be easier to reach and visible to others, but the Jedi felt the less some of his companions knew about him, the better. "Besides," he smiled, "let them think the girl is the only jedi here."

Giving his equipment one final check, Titus Antares left the barracks and made his way towards the hangar. He had no idea what awaited them on Naboo, but he was starting to feel a faint hope that maybe he'd actually make it through this blasted war.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Titus found the hangar humming with life as it had been ever since he'd come aboard. Before they’d set out for Naboo the Defiance had been outfitted with a full complement of fighters, but most of them had been in need of some repairs. In every direction Titus looked he could see droids and technicians crawling beneath X-Wings making adjustments, or stripping some of the excess hull plating from one of the older Y-Wings. An R4 agromech droid rolled past him beeping frantically as it missed his foot by sheer look.

Each of the fighters was impressive in their own way but none of them caught his eye as much as the bright red ship resting near the hangar entrance. The utter blackness of space behind it framed the cruiser perfectly and making its color even more eye catching. It was easily the largest ship in sight, ten times the length of one of the sleek X-Wings idling in its shadow. As a boy Titus had seen ships like nearly identical to this one soaring out of the temple carrying Jedi away to the far corners of the galaxy on dangerous missions. A few scars and dents marred the otherwise pristine frame Consular-class cruiser, but it still looked every bit as good as it had in the days before the fall of the Jedi.

"If you think she's something now you should have seen her before those butchers back on Endor decommissioned her weapons." Turning towards the source of the familiar voice Titus saw a bald man wearing loose fitting clothes standing a short distance away. Norl Larness smiled at Titus while he wiped his hands on tattered rag. "She's also the only thing on this ship older than the two of us."

A technician armed with a hand brush and a metal scoop knelt down near to Tendau and began sweeping up the broken glass. Sorting out the spilled bulbs he carefully placed each of them into a box of damp soil on the floor. He didn't look up as he worked but he spoke to the Ithorian in a casual, albeit polite manner. "Sir, I thought you should know that we got two more of the immersion racks running. I tried your com but it was inactive."

With the last of the bulbs collected the technician lifted the box of soil and looked up for the first time. He was clearly surprised to find Jado in the Ithorian's company but he seemed to notice her apprehension at once. "Don't worry; turbulence isn't uncommon while passing through hyperspace."

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Titus shook Norl's hand firmly and slapped him on the shoulder with his free hand, a wide grin across his face. "Now don't go insulting the girl that's going to get us down to the planet Norl." The two aged members of SpecForce chuckled as they looked upon the Consular cruiser. each of them lost in thought, reflecting on better (or worse) times. Norl was the first to break the silence. "How have things been friend? That girl ever get wise and find someone less addled to raise her?"

Though he didn't break his gaze from the ship, someone studying Titus's face would have noticed a slight change in his face. It seemed both a shadow, and a glimmer of pride went across his eyes. "Not yet, though if she doesn't learn some patience soon, the Admiral might jettison her in an escape pod. Besides, who else is going to take care of her? Definitely not you, you ancient dewback." He sighed, "She is a great kid though. I'm not sure how much longer she'll find use for an old man like myself."

Both men were silent for a while as they again went through their respective memories. This time it was Titus who spoke, looking over at Norl. "We've had some wild rides on ships much worse for wear than this old bird, haven't we Norl?"

The other man just smiled and nodded. "Yup."

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Kandor strode into the hanger in his full diplomatic finery. Many of his ilk chose to select large, heavy, ostentatious clothing on their missions, but Kandor had always found that to be rather gauche. He personally preferred a seemingly more humble robe in dark crimson edged with tastefully fine pale gold, a black cloak and hood for unfortunate weather, and wide sleeves that one could fold one's arms in easily. The cut was elegant in it's simplicity, suggesting the scholarly wisdom of an reserved advisor or monk.

Panaka was, of course, a soldier. He would respect soldiers. But Kandor knew to try and play as one was to invite the Moff's displeasure, worse than a politician was a politician who thought he was a warrior. "Play to your strengths," the ancient diplomatic mantra went. As a result, he was openly unarmed, but within the folds of the robe was a simple blaster, a multi-purpose dataslate and a selection of other minor items that might come in handy. A quick trip back to his cabin and a change of clothes had ensured Kandor had the equipment he needed.

Looking up at the Consular-class cruiser before him, Kandor sighed with appreciation. There was a certain brute appeal to a warship, of course, but it was this kind of vessel through which the life blood of civilizations flowed. If there was time later, he considered composing a few lines of verse regarding the young, ambitious Ambassador being faced by an old, grand, experienced cruiser, lit by the backdrop of space.

His thoughts was interrupted by the sound of a familiar voice nearby. Ah, yes, the old soldier, speaking with another elder man who was presumably the ship's master. For a few moments, Kandor had forgotten that he would be accompanied on this mission by a wide and varied selection of... comrades. Oh well, the life of a Diplomat was ever filled with challanges, this was but another one. Besides, they might be useful should things not go according to plan.

Solar on
  • Options
    Tendau retrieved his commlink from his vest pocket and thumbed it back on. The security scanner in the brig had apparently deactivated it, he surmised.

Tendau frowned at the technician and grumbled, "Only two racks? What happened to the other three we prepped?"

The technician shrugged nonchalantly as he walked back down the isle, "We're having trouble with the flow regulators on those racks. Ophal has been working on them all morning." He pointed toward a blue-skinned Mon Cal female on the next row. She was balanced precariously on top of a step ladder reaching for a line of dripping pipes overhead.

Tendau sighed. The majority of the technicians in hydroponics regarded the assignment as a punishment or at the very least, a rotation to be endured. Very, very few had any sort of passion for horticulture. After all, one joined the navy specifically to avoid dirt, mud and compost. Ophal was the one exception. She knew more than the rest of the technicians combined and would be a shoe-in for department head someday had she not suffered from a chronic lack of confidence. The other techs pawned off the menial jobs on her whenever Tendau wasn't around.

Tendau pointed at a large toolbag under the work bench, "Jado, grab those and I'll show you how to fix a flow regulator." He bent down and hefted a section of replacement pipe over his shoulder and headed to the row where Ophal worked.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Jado looked at the toolbag dubiously. She knew that she was very talented, mostly in the areas of the force and control over her own body. She even knew quite a bit about plants and lifeforms, mostly because she had been asked to study SOMETHING if she wanted to be a Jedi- something about learning how to learn, whatever that meant. Tools, and mechanics, and flow regulators... Well, hopefully she didn't break anything TOO expensive.

With a grunt, she lifted the heavy toolbox and followed Tendau. Guiltily, she wished they had been under attack instead of just getting bumped around by hyperspace. At least then she'd be doing something useful... This stuff had "builds character" written all over it, and she was pretty sure her character was built just fine...

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    "You're looking a bit worse for the wear yourself there old man." Norl pointed at Titus's face and waved at the cuts and bruises he'd acquired during his fight with Tendau. "What happened? You look nearly as bad as you did the last time you thought you were a match for me."

Ophal twisted the hyrdospanner in her webbed hands and the water dripping from the pipes above her trickled to stop within seconds. Beaming she climbed down from the stepladder and caught sight of Tendau and Jado approaching her. Her face fell and she began twisting the hydropsanner nervously. "Oh, you're back already, I'm sorry; I know you wanted to have all of the immersion racks repaired by now. Don't worry though, if I work through the next shift rotation I think I can get the last three operational."

The hyrdrospanner suddenly twisted out of Ophal's wet hands and the tool bounced off of Jado's foot with a heavy thud. Ophal’s hands flew up to cover her mouth as her face broke out in an expression of dismay. She knelt down in front of the padawan and began examining her foot. "I'm so sorry! I'm always dropping things like that, are you alright? Do you need a med kit?"

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Titus grunted contemptuously. "The Ithorian and I had another...disagreement over the girl. " Norl raised his eyebrows as if he was asking for further elaboration, but Titus provided none.

The two aged men watched as Kandor entered the ship. The diplomat called over at the two of them as he entered. "You there," he pointed in Norl's general direction. "check the inertial dampers again before we depart. The last counselor ship I was on nearly killed me when we entered the atmosphere. If I lose my lunch while speaking with Panaka, you'll hear about it!"

Norl rolled his eyes. "Get a load of that one. Another self-important, pompous noble who probably hasn't seen a day of honest work in his life. Good luck with him."

Titus just studied Kandor as he made a show of checking his shoes for grease before entering the ship. "I'm not so sure with this one Norl...I think there's more to him than he lets on."

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    “Maybe the inertial dampeners will malfunction once we’ve hit atmosphere, then we can see just how much more.” Norl laughed as he clambered aboard the cruiser. Before Titus could follow him he noticed several of the technicians working on a nearby X-Wing had halted. Turning in the direction they were staring he saw Arin moving towards the cruiser. Face hidden behind her helmet and with her blaster carbine belted across her shoulders the Mandalorian woman looked like she’d prepared for a war rather than a diplomatic mission.

Kandor stepped aboard the cruiser and moved through the entrance forum feeling as though the last three days of his life had been some terrible nightmare. Passing a flight of narrow steps that lead up towards what he assumed was the cockpit Kandor continued until he arrived in the salon pod at the front of the cruiser. Sixteen seats covered in shimmering black Corellian leather were arrayed around a circular topped by a hologram pad. The salon pod had clearly been designed to keep the diplomats it was intended to carry comfortable during their negotiations. However for someone who'd been raised in the opulent upper levels of Coruscant, and paid visits to the nobility of a dozen worlds the pod was hardly impressive. Settling himself into a seat Kandor shut his eyes trying to ignore the noise of the Arin stowed her gear.

Titus climbed up the steps the other had bypassed and watched as Norl and his copilot, a male blue skinned Twi’lek, began preparing for takeoff. When he glanced out into the hangar through the cockpit window he saw that the stars outside were no longer distorted by hyperspace, and a blue tinged planet hovered in the distance.

Norl tapped a button in front of him and began speaking in an official tone. “Defiance this is Corellian Prince, preflight check is complete and the passengers are aboard. Are we cleared for takeoff?”

“You are cleared for takeoff Corellian Prince, have a safe trip.”

Norl flipped a pair of switches on the control panel in front of him and shifted in his seat. “That’d be a first.”

The Corellian Prince’s engines roared to life and Titus swayed slightly as the cruiser lifted off of the hangar floor and passed through the force field into open space. As they approached the planet Titus began noticing swaths of green floating amidst the oceans and seas. It hardly seemed possible that such a beautiful world was the birthplace of the tyrannical dictator he’d been fighting for most of his life.

In minutes Theed rose up beneath them a mass of glittering white sandstone topped by mossy green tiled copulas. At the edge of city, perched atop a cliff the royal palace seemed to be rising out of the mist as a cascading waterfall spilled down onto the plane far below. Towers and rotundas surrounded the enormous drum-shape structure that stood at the heart of the palace. As they flew over the capital signs of the war being waged beneath them were present throughout the city. Some of the massive sandstone buildings had collapsed in upon themselves while many more bore the telltale scorches left by blaster fire. The streets looked empty except for squadrons of stormtroopers marching in tight formation.

Norl began guiding the ship lower and closer until he nearly scraped one of the tiled rooftops of the palace, as he passed over it. Turning Titus spotted an arched building on near the palace, two ornate statues stood to either side of the cavernous entrance that could have allowed a ship twice as large the cruiser inside. Four flashing beacons were arranged around the entryway and Norl steered through them without any sign of concern. The cruiser bucked as its landing gear hit the black tiled floor of the hangar with a dull thud. Sixteen bright yellow starfighters with elongated fins were sheltered in individual alcoves along either wall.

As the engines died Titus spotted a party of soldiers entering the hangar through a pair of very tall green doors. Moff Panaka was leading the stormtroopers, all of whom had their blasters held at the ready. Norl cursed as he watched the stormtroopers form a firing line behind the silver haired Moff.

After an hour of working in the hydroponics bay Jado found herself wishing that Ophal had dropped something heavier than a hydrospanner on her foot. She would have rather forced visited the medical bay than continue battling with the stubborn machine she’d been trying to repair. Even with Tendau and Ophal guiding her through the process, the process was still frustrating.

When the commlink in Tendau’s pocket started chirping the padawan’s eyes darted to it excitedly. The Ithorian fished it out with his slender fingers and answered halfheartedly. “Yes?”

“Tendau, something urgent has come up. Come to cargo bay five. Bring the Jedi girl too.” Lieutenant Dourlas sounded even more tired than he had the last time they’d spoken. The lighting inside the Mon Calamaria cruiser had prevented him from sleeping since they’d left Endor.

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Kandor closed his eyes and took a deep breath. This was never going to be easy, but he needed to relax and trust his instincts, let those around him act as they saw fit, he would remain unflappable. Whatever he showed on the outside, within there was calm and control. Moff Panaka had in all liklihood brought his stormtroopers as a show of force, and attempt to intimidate their party and gain an early advantage in the negotiations. With some, letting them thing their ploy had succeeded was the best choice, but the correct way to deal with Panaka, he thought, would be to show brazen fearlessness. Well, we're about to test that assessment, hopefully it will not be without merit.

Before he left the ship, Kandor turned and looked at his companions. Earlier arguments seemed less important in the face of their missions significance. He held the steely gaze of both the veteran warrior Titus and the calm, visored stare of the Mandalorian warrior. After a moment, he nodded at them and stepped from the room.

As he stepped down the ramp, hooded and robed, arms folded within his sleeves, the stormtroopers didn't seem to react. Their discipline, or fear of their superiors, was evident. Kandor did not break stride as he reached the hanger floor, and continued towards the straight-backed figure of Moff Panaka, stopping only a few meters before him, and bowing slightly, though he kept his eyes fixed on the Moff's own grey glare.

"Moff Panaka. I am Kandor Tarkas, the Alliance Representative here to negotiate the terms of your surrender." He smiled coolly, and raised on hand to gesture at the assorted troopers before him. "Thank you for welcoming us here with such... ceremony. But it is not necessary, we come under a flag of peace." Kandor nearly laughed at the idea of Arin and Titus coming down the ramp after he had said that. Those two didn't exactly exude pacifism. Ah well, best to back up a friendly smile with a strong arm, as his father had always said.
    Okay, I'm going to bust out a persuasion check for this one, just to make a good impression and also show no fear in the face of a show of force. Not that Kandor is afraid but it's best to make that clear.

Rolled an 11, so that's 21 in total. Sod it, I want this to be good since it's kind of my characters whole deal. Force point time. Rolled a 5.

26 overall then, and I'm down one force point (to 6, if I remember rightly). No regrets!

• Options
    Tendau thumbed off his commlink. In the years Tendau spent serving under him as a pathfinder for Rebel ground forces, Dourlas had only ever referred to something as "urgent" a half dozen times. Typically, it had involved explosives on a short timer.

Tendau turned to Jado who was already bounding for the door, "Cargo bay five in five minutes, Jado! Pack light but bring gear for least three days in the field!"

Tendau smiled to himself as he watched her wave an acknowledgement and disappear around the corner. Beside him, Ophal wiped sweat from her brow with a filthy rag. "I'm sorry to leave you with a job half-finished, Ophal." He clapped her on the back as he walked toward the bay exit. "Now try to take at least one shift off between now and when I get back!"

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Titus followed the diplomat down the ramp. For the time being, it was his show. However, the show of force by Panaka made him instinctively bristle, though he did his best to exude an outward appearance of calm. Compared to Kandor he worried that his caution was pretty obvious on his face.

As Kandor spoke, Titus's eyes darted around the hangar, trying to detect any possible sign of deceit. His nerves were getting the better of him though...making it hard to focus.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Though there were plenty of places in the hangar for additional troops to be hiding Titus didn't get the feeling that they were facing an ambush. Aside from the Moff and the soldiers there didn't seem to be anyone waiting to pounce on them. It no more than instinct, but his instincts had been honed by years of combat and he'd come to trust them.

Panaka kept glaring at Kandor until the smile had been wiped from his face. "Until these negotiations are at an end I still decide what is necessary on Naboo Representative Tarkas. I suggest that you save your honeyed words for the swooning nobility on Coruscant, I am from Naboo, your cleverness does not impress here." Panaka's eyes fell on Titus and he seemed to size the old soldier up in a matter of seconds.

"The diplomat talks of peace, and yet I see he brought a warrior. As a fellow soldier I can understand your reluctance to enter an enemy stronghold unarmed, but I'm sure you understand why I cannot allow you within these walls with a weapon in your hands. I will ask you disarm for the duration of your visit."

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Kandor inclined his head at Panaka's words. Excellent, he thought. Panaka likely underestimates me as a mere wordsmith, he does not appreciate my force of will. He has made a foolish mistake here today if he plans to cross me.

• Options
    Earlier...

Jado looked down at the pieces in disgust. This watchamacallit capacitor just didn't want to connect to the whoseama-pack, no matter how hard she tried to force them together. As she worked futilely, her mental connection with her master stretched and snapped. He was off on his own, and hadn't taken her with him even after she had stowed away on the ship to be close to him. I guess I should have known that would happen she thought sadly. Hopefully he would be okay... she performed some mental exercises to push her fears away... There was nothing she could do about it for now.

Now...

Jado tossed the tools in the toolbag with relish. Whatever was going on had to be better than breaking already broken machinery, which is all she had really accomplished so far, and any action would be good to take her mind of his worrying for Titus. Her legs working quickly to keep up with Tendau's long strides, she followed him to... adventure!

• Options
    When Tendau and Jado arrived in cargo bay five minutes later it looked as though a band of pirates had recently passed through. Supplies were scattered over the floor next to overturned cargo containers.

"Prompt as ever I see." Dourlas steped out from inside of a nearby cargo container, the dark brown hair covering his body a tangled mess. A long strip of white cloth had been wrapped across his face covering his eyes. He grinned exposing his sharp teeth and waved his clawed hand in front of his face. "Can't see you but I'd be able recognize those footsteps coming from a mile off."

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Tendau chuckled, "We're not all made of fuzz and shadows like you, El-Tee." Dourlas had a reputation among the Pathfinders for being silent and unseen at all times, much to the chagrin of his subordinates. You could never tell when Dourlas would appear out of a shadow just as you finished letting off some steam with a few friends at his expense.

He glanced around the cargo bay taking in the chaos as he covered the short distance to where Dourlas stood. Judging from Dourlas' bedraggled appearance, it was clear to Tendau that his friend hadn't summoned him on a whim. More as a last resort, apparently.

"What in the name of the Mother Jungle happened here?"