As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cyberpunk 2077 - It Can't Get Darker Than Night City, Right?

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    I really, really hope we get a robust character customization past character creation.
    Large part of the Cyberpunk aesthetic is the (not sure of the word) fungibility of bodyparts.
    I want the ability to switch my look depending on where i am going or what i am thinking of doing there, from sleek all invisible cybernetics to chrome limbs that scream CYBORG to anyone within visual distance.
    Enhancements designed for social situations, stealh gigs or just blowing up a small army.

Also i hope they keep cybernetic enhancements and character skills/level separate.
    Sure make me better at using the enhancements through skills, but i should be able to get the best possible cybernetics the second i have the money (and rep/contacts) to get them.
    Gating them behind hard to impossible to low level characters is fine though (need to steal them from army base or megacorp, or do some difficult runs for suits that have chewed and spat out dozens of other runners).

• Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    So are there any Cyberpunk 2020 books? Not like tabletop books. Like reading books.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Kanden wrote: »
    So are there any Cyberpunk 2020 books? Not like tabletop books. Like reading books.

Wikipedia gives me 2
    The Ravengers (1995)
    Holo Men (1996)

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    if its in first person they NEED to let me lok down and see my feet

this is ESSENTIAL

Yeah, "feet". You're not fooling anyone, Surreality. We all saw the original reveal trailer.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    I really, really hope we get a robust character customization past character creation.
    Large part of the Cyberpunk aesthetic is the (not sure of the word) fungibility of bodyparts.
    I want the ability to switch my look depending on where i am going or what i am thinking of doing there, from sleek all invisible cybernetics to chrome limbs that scream CYBORG to anyone within visual distance.
    Enhancements designed for social situations, stealh gigs or just blowing up a small army.

Also i hope they keep cybernetic enhancements and character skills/level separate.
    Sure make me better at using the enhancements through skills, but i should be able to get the best possible cybernetics the second i have the money (and rep/contacts) to get them.
    Gating them behind hard to impossible to low level characters is fine though (need to steal them from army base or megacorp, or do some difficult runs for suits that have chewed and spat out dozens of other runners).
    The developers, AND mike pondsmith, reiterated this point repeatedly since the trailer was released

I think we might be good on this front

Edit:

See also these two images from the demo panel:
    LF7MRc4.jpg
    UMCUHlO.jpg

- many types of cyberware
    - extensive character and character background creator

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

this is ESSENTIAL

Yeah, "feet". You're not fooling anyone, Surreality. We all saw the original reveal trailer.

cyberfeet

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    The interview guy mentioned tattoos but what I want to make sure is that this game has more than stupid ass face tattoos that every god damn game puts in as the only option.

I feel like tattoos fit the aesthetic here a lot and being able to have tattoos on my characters body would be ideal.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    y'all are just parsing SC's post wrong, they don't mean feet the anatomical structure, they mean multiple feet of dick hanging down like an angry cyber-boa

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options

this is ESSENTIAL

cyberfeet

Your character is going to have very prominent cyberfeet.

• Options

this is ESSENTIAL

cyberfeet

The Dalegs are superior!!

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Is there pizza delivery in the demo?

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

this is ESSENTIAL

cyberfeet

thicc.. feet

also i hope there are lots of shiny surfaces and mirrors so i can spend time admiring myself

mm0puddznazn.png

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

this is ESSENTIAL

cyberfeet

thicc.. feet

also i hope there are lots of shiny surfaces and mirrors so i can spend time admiring myself

mm0puddznazn.png

smart mirrors too smart for their own good

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    The writing in that demo panel is horrendous and, I would hope, not representative of the game, right

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular

As someone who has never played the original PnP.... Why does everyone eventually mention pizza delivery in relation to this?

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

this is ESSENTIAL

cyberfeet

you know what they say about prominent cyberfeet

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »

As someone who has never played the original PnP.... Why does everyone eventually mention pizza delivery in relation to this?

It's a reference to the main character of the book Snow Crash being a pizza delivery driver (THE DELIVERATOR) in the beginning of the book. Good, weird book if you've never read it. Arguably one of the founding novels of cyberpunk.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    The writing in that demo panel is horrendous and, I would hope, not representative of the game, right

It mostly just read like a slightly better Google translated document from its (presumably) original Polish. Something done quickly, perhaps inappropriately so, but only because it is no way intended as a consumer-facing document by which people should judge the contents of the game itself.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I shouldn't be this hyped for a game that hasn't had a gameplay reveal, but here I am.

Maybe it's because I fkin loved Witcher 3's writing and universe and seeing a well-done cyberpunk AAA title where you can like, get down into the deeps of the world instead of just having it as a backdrop has me just vibrating.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

It's a reference to the main character of the book Snow Crash being a pizza delivery driver (THE DELIVERATOR) in the beginning of the book. Good, weird book if you've never read it. Arguably one of the founding novels of cyberpunk.

I would like to clarify something. Snow Crash was like ten years after cyberpunk was already fairly well established. It was almost an homage/parody of the genre up to that point. It's not in the original cast, though it's now held up as a seminal work in the evolution of the genre.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I would like to clarify something. Snow Crash was like ten years after cyberpunk was already fairly well established. It was almost an homage/parody of the genre up to that point. It's not in the original cast, though it's now held up as a seminal work in the evolution of the genre.

I read the sprawl trilogy. Thanks for the info!

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited June 2018

I wonder if Snow Crash was something of an inspiration for Demolition Man's setting. I mean, one of cyberpunk's themes is opposition to control via marketing/capitalism/crass materialism, but both Snow Crash and Demolition Man have a more tongue-in-cheek take on it. Real brands operating in over-the-top-ways.

EDIT: Then again, maybe these ideas aren't so weird - https://www.pavingforpizza.com/

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2018

It also popularized a number of conventions we take for granted today.

Avatar as a term for the digital self for one. Granted it wasn’t the first use in that manner, but from what I read in the subject most credit Snow Crash with popularizing the term as it is used today.

Either way a good read none the less.

edit- Oh yeah, Snow Crash was also an inspiration for Google Earth.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular

The book, 'Snow Crash' opens up with an over the top pizza delivery scene where the protagonist ('literally named Hiro Protagonist') is driving a pizza delivery car going 120mph in order to deliver a pizza within a time limit. If he misses the delivery window, the pizza mob will have to give the customer $1,000,000 and Hiro Protagonist will also have to pay with his life.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    And if anyone is still on the fence about reading Snow Crash, here is an excerpt (taken from TVtropes, 'cause no way I would be able to remember all this):
    Until a man is twenty-five, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world... Hiro used to feel this way, too, but then he ran into Raven. In a way, this was liberating. He no longer has to worry about being the baddest motherfucker in the world. The position is taken.

Axen on
  • Options
    started

HUD is upgrades! So seeing bullets, identifying enemies- that's all upgrades

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    City isn't huge for hugeness sake, everything is supposed to have a purpose

quests are VERY variable, you can "change your mind" multiple times during even the same quest, and street cred/xp can change the outcomes too

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »

this is ESSENTIAL

cyberfeet

Giant cybertits that obscure them. Wait, shit.

• Options
    Oh, and you can chose violence instead of talking in some parts- reminding me of renegade interrupts

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

this is ESSENTIAL

cyberfeet

Yes. They’re expensive and probably illegal.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »

this is ESSENTIAL

cyberfeet

Yes. They’re expensive and probably illegal.

Only because of those damn feet transplant lobbyists!

• Options
    Yeah I saw that earlier... I mean..what? That's literally the whole point of the genre. To show where absolutely unchecked greed leads to.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah I saw that earlier... I mean..what? That's literally the whole point of the genre. To show where absolutely unchecked greed leads to.

It reminds me of the ancient PA front page post making fun of the guy who basically wrote a review saying "it's great the xbox finally got a traditional JPRG but man it has all these traditional JRPG features that I don't like."

• Options
    edited June 2018
    If you subvert the Cyberpunk genre you get, like, Star Trek or something.

edit- Predictions of future tweets.

"As predicted RDR2 does nothing to subvert the genre. It is full of cowboys, horses, gun fights, and uses the wild west as a backdrop etc etc etc"

edit 2- @3clipse found it for ya!
    xDwcWsR.jpg

Axen on
  • Options
  • Options
    Getting Trespasser vibes.

• Options
    Also, a tweet chain with tons of questions and answers

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg