Options

The thread for things with more/less than two legs (NSF ento/arachno/ophidiophobes)

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    I would really love to find a hickory horned devil someday

I have found the caterpillar of a polyphemus moth, which is in the same family

unfortunately it was dead when I found it

but now I know that they're around and I can look for more

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    I saw my first butterflies of the season today!

A cabbage white and a painted lady

I was worried about the bugs, since the winter was so bitter, but they find a way

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Life, uh... finds a way.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I went on a bike ride yesterday and saw loads of butterflies. Mostly Peacocks:

_MG_8505_peacock_butterfly_inachis_io.jpg

I kept having to swerve to avoid running them over because they were sat on the cycle track, sunbathing I guess.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I also saw one of these, a Pied Shield Bug, which I've never seen before so that was cool. I've only ever seen green ones in the past.

Pied_Shield_Bug_-_Sehirus_bicolor.jpg

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I need to go to Cooper Creek Park and take a picture of the masses of Daddy Long Legs on the wooden fences.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Bugboy, do you know what this is? Tumblr could not tell me more.

tumblr_mumctpnzpO1qafxgdo1_500.jpg

• Options
    Some kind of phasmid? Looks beautiful whatever it is.

• Options
    Maybe some sort of mantis? From what I can see of the forelegs, they look pretty mantis like

the forewings aren't leathery though, which would be weird for a mantis

also the antennae and hindwings aren't quite what I'd expect

whatever it is, it looks tropical

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    It seems to be some kind of Devil's Flower Mantis?

Mantis eyes are a little disturbing when you see enough of them staring out at you in Google Image search results....

• Options
    I had a nice day for bugs yesterday. Was gardening and saw several tiny centipedes in various colours, what I think was a red mite only it was bigger than any mite I've seen, and the highlight which was a little baby wolf spider. It was so small it was still see-through but it stalked around on my hand like a miniature badass. I told it that it would be a fearsome thing one day and then it jumped off my fingers and disappeared.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    listen, I'm a biologist

and I'm pretty sure that's a faerie dragon

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    BEES THAT LIVE IN TINY SNAIL SHELLS
    http://youtu.be/V0uuTiov-w4

*wordless screams forever*

(Via Wired: http://www.wired.com/2014/04/adorable-bees-that-live-inside-snail-shells/)

• Options
    edited April 2014
    hey, at least it's living inside the remains of something that used to be alive instead of something that is currently alive

bees are quite nice compared to their wasp cousins

BugBoy on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    The wordless screams are due to overwhelming cuteness

• Options
    oh

that is extremely refreshing!

I just always assume its the other way around

• Options
    MomoriMomori Registered User regular
    I have an irrational fear of spiders and I clicked this thread because I think Bugboy is neat.

I made a huge mistake.

• Options
    I'm glad that you think this stuff is neat!

I myself was afraid of large spiders for quite some time

Recently I got to hold a tarantula and it turned out to be delightful, though!

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    I thought of BugBoy a week ago when I had to relocate a black widow because I was tearing down her home. I'm pretty sure she had just had babies and I tried to move as many of them as I could by moving her whole web but I felt really bad about the timing of the situation.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    You did the best thing you could've done. You should feel good about trying to help her out!

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    BugBoy wrote: »
    I'm glad that you think this stuff is neat!

I myself was afraid of large spiders for quite some time

Recently I got to hold a tarantula and it turned out to be delightful, though!

You held a tarantula and didn't tell me?

I feel a little hurt, bro

• Options
    I didn't tell you?

sorry bro

l'll make sure to keep you updated with bug things from now on

• Options
    Ladies and gentlemen, I am pleased to report that Operation: Wasp Rescue was a complete success

The target was scooped up and released back into an outside environment without harm

She was a real beauty too, biggest yellowjacket I've ever seen.

Godspeed, lady

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Look. Yellowjackets declared war on me. I never did anything to them. They get what's coming to them.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    CimmeriiCimmerii SpaceOperaGhost Registered User regular
    Reading through this thread reminded me of one of the very few things I like about Arizona, and inspired me to find out what sort of beetle I encountered.

When I lived in the mountains in central AZ I occasionally found specimens of this gorgeous bright green beetle with silver or gold markings. I usually found them near roadsides, as they were very bright, like little jewels scrabbling about in the dust. Apparently they live and feed on the juniper trees in the region.

These little gems are called Glorious Beetles or Glorious Scarabs, Chrysina gloriosa, and they have very pokey little legs, good for hanging out on trees I suppose. I relocated them to foresty bits when I found them, as roads are not safe for bugs.

*Internally Screaming*
  • Options
    It's finally getting warm, so it's bug time

I'm hoping to some tiger swallowtails this year, since I haven't seen one in ages

I should also go sawfly larvae hunting again. I love those guys, and I found some cool looking ones last year.

• Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    @BugBoy if you're saving wasps, you're one of the bad guys. I'm sorry you had to find out from me, but you've clearly gone over to the dark side.

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    a bumblebee was hovering around my head the other day

it was kind of nerve-wracking!

also i hope the bugs that are out and about currently are gonna be ok, we're supposed to get like ten fucking inches of snow tomorrow and tomorrow night :|

• Options
    @BugBoy if you're saving wasps, you're one of the bad guys. I'm sorry you had to find out from me, but you've clearly gone over to the dark side.

That's just not true

That implies there was a period of time where he wasn't on the dark side

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    The dark side has cookies

But also wasps

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Turambar wrote: »
    The dark side has cookies

But also wasps

Cookies filled with wasps?

That's just not true

That implies there was a period of time where he wasn't on the dark side

I wasn't sure which was the evil twin.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I am the thorax

I speak for the bees

• Options
    oh my god

bro, you know you are incredibly important to me

and you know I will support you through almost anything

but I don't think I can support you making puns like that

• Options
    I did warn you

I specifically looked at you and said "I am unduly proud of this terrible pun I made in the entomology thread"

so, your fault
    <3

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I found a bold jumping spider on my mailbox this morning

I couldn't coax him into actually jumping, though

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    SedraxisSedraxis Kooloo LimpahRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    This thread reminded me to look up what is commonly known as the house centipede (which is odd because it has way less than 100 legs).

Reminder that these critters are beautiful and mostly harmless (but I still want them to keep their distance).
    I decided I needed to learn more about them when I found one floating in the puppy's water bowl. It was unresponsive at first, so I assumed it was dead, but shortly after picking the bowl up it scurried away. I of course put the bowl down because I don't want that touching me again to help ease its escape.
    Then thorough scrubbing with soap bla bla bla.

Here, have a large picture of them: http://http://media.jsonline.com/images/155990805_HouseCentipede.jpg

Sedraxis on
    Mirrodinlandscape.jpg
    3DS: 0232-8293-7683
  • Options
    I killed one of those the other day. I first attempted to get one of the cats to go after it, but she ran away when it started moving. Then I crushed it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SedraxisSedraxis Kooloo LimpahRegistered User regular
    Yes but this is the thread where we like oh wait these are insectivores and by killing it you saved many other insects.
    Good call, then.

Mirrodinlandscape.jpg
    3DS: 0232-8293-7683
  • Options
    See? My murder is a good thing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    sedosedo Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I just moved to southern California about two months ago and am looking to pick up a good field guide for western NA insects/arachnids/creepy crawlies. What do you use, bug thread?

PS here a stinging slug caterpillar that does not have an official scientific name. We call it the gummy bear.

sedo on