Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[HALO] is dead.

24567100

Posts

  • fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    FyreWulff wrote: »

    I read you entire post, and you made some good points, but really your argument seemed to just come down to the idea that people were manipulating the system, and you didn't like that. I understand that it's annoying, and that people will do lame things to get some rather meaningless number by their name. But at the end of the day, I found that they hardly affected my experience at all. So what if someone wants to buy a level 50 account and then never play on it, just so they can talk down to people in forums? That's sad, but I don't think the people who actually use the ranking as intended should be punished for their mistakes. I never reached level 50 in Halo 3. I made it to 47 in team slayer, and 43 in team objective, and I was proud as hell, because I started out so low and made my way up by getting better and learning things. It was very rewarding to watch myself improve.

    Now, playing reach, I have no idea if I'm improving or not. Every time I do really well in a match, I can never really know if it's because I played well and did things right, or if it's because I was simply matched up with lower ranked players. I hate always having to second guess my progress like that.

    Yes, all the negatives that come with a visible ranking suck, but they hardly destroy the experience. Your post seems far more concerned with how other people are manipulating the system and whatnot, and far less concerned with people like me who actually used it as it was intended, enjoyed it, and now no longer have it. I certainly don't have any numbers to back me up, but I bet people like me who use it as intended are in the vast majority, and I don't think we should be punished just because other people want to abuse it.

    Vyolyn
  • fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Limiting join in progress will do that.

    You've got it backwards. Join in progress was Infinity Wards solution to rage quitting, not the cause of it.

  • BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    Might wanna mention that everyone playing in the first couple of weeks is gonna unlock all those Specializations.


    my god you're right!

    "There are a total of 8 specializations, 2 of which will be available at launch (Pioneer & Wetwork), the rest being unlocked later. Those who purchase Halo 4 Limited Edition will have access to all 8 at launch.[2] However, an email sent on October 15, 2012 states that Standard Edition Halo 4 owners who play the game while connected to Xbox LIVE by November 20, 2012 (two weeks after release) will receive early access as well.[3]"


    Kinda makes my pre-order bonus from GAME/GAMESTATION less special, perhaps ill pre-order myself a copy at HMV and get that swanky helmet.

    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The LE is pretty much a waste of money at this point. Unless you like cards.

  • BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    i agree, i didn't go for the LE, i pre-ordered really only to get the specialization unlocks, but it looks like everybodies getting them anyway The Halo 4 multiplayer seems crazy deep. Also, looking at and watching all the gameplay videos of this game, the leap in visual quality from REACH is so impressive.

    BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard And that's why they call me Drilltooth! Registered User regular
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    The LE is pretty much a waste of money at this point. Unless you like cards.

    For me, it's the season pass + bitchin' case. I'm okay with it.

    YsR6QkX.jpg
  • LeoniusLeonius Registered User
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Halo is full of rage quitters.
    I'm still of the opinion that there should be some kind of significant penalty for dropped games. I don't care if it stings me a few times for power outages or whatever, I just can't stand when you go to play a match and folks give up just because theyre five or ten kills down out of the gate.

    steam_sig.png
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt DON'T call me annie... unless you're my friendRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    FyreWulff wrote: »

    I read you entire post, and you made some good points, but really your argument seemed to just come down to the idea that people were manipulating the system, and you didn't like that. I understand that it's annoying, and that people will do lame things to get some rather meaningless number by their name. But at the end of the day, I found that they hardly affected my experience at all. So what if someone wants to buy a level 50 account and then never play on it, just so they can talk down to people in forums? That's sad, but I don't think the people who actually use the ranking as intended should be punished for their mistakes. I never reached level 50 in Halo 3. I made it to 47 in team slayer, and 43 in team objective, and I was proud as hell, because I started out so low and made my way up by getting better and learning things. It was very rewarding to watch myself improve.

    Now, playing reach, I have no idea if I'm improving or not. Every time I do really well in a match, I can never really know if it's because I played well and did things right, or if it's because I was simply matched up with lower ranked players. I hate always having to second guess my progress like that.

    Yes, all the negatives that come with a visible ranking suck, but they hardly destroy the experience. Your post seems far more concerned with how other people are manipulating the system and whatnot, and far less concerned with people like me who actually used it as it was intended, enjoyed it, and now no longer have it. I certainly don't have any numbers to back me up, but I bet people like me who use it as intended are in the vast majority, and I don't think we should be punished just because other people want to abuse it.

    I don't really care that much about the ranking system, but I'm inclined to agree with this sentiment. Does it matter that much if someone buys a 50, or starts a new gamertag in an attempt to blow past their Trueskill barrier before it catches them? If Bungie/343 doesn't approve, then these people will be banned, but it's their money they're wasting. Some people really enjoyed the visible, incremental measure of rank/skill, and it wasn't a terrible system just because people attempted to exploit it for lame bragging rights. The fun of it was comparing it with your friends and such, and working on your own numbers.

    I originally was excited by the idea of arena and tried to like it, but it never really clicked for me. It just had a detached feel to it. I didn't like the "sort everyone out" afterward aspect; it wasn't nearly as fun as seeing your rank go up after a good ranked team game.

    Now that I think about it, that arena deficiency probably is as simple as "instant status update" versus " compiling data, check back after a while hey oh cool you did good or bad"

    Theodore Floosevelt on
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt DON'T call me annie... unless you're my friendRegistered User regular
    On the other hand, after typing all that out I remembered how much of a drag this conversations is so

    I'm looking forward to having my Spartan cosplay as an olde-timey deep sea diver!

    Leonius
  • LeoniusLeonius Registered User
    On an unrelated note, what would be some good (but economical) hardware to hook up in order to import/stream Halo 4 footage? I don't even really know where to look at present and I plan to.

    steam_sig.png
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Leonius wrote: »
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Halo is full of rage quitters.
    I'm still of the opinion that there should be some kind of significant penalty for dropped games. I don't care if it stings me a few times for power outages or whatever, I just can't stand when you go to play a match and folks give up just because theyre five or ten kills down out of the gate.

    There sort of was for Reach

    newSig.jpg
  • BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Time to lighten the mood, who wants some NSFW Cortana Cosplays? i know i do!
    4995956647_a0315dd321_b.jpg
    f8678c248982b545a1130387b9b781a3.jpg


    also, theres some very racy pictures out there if you google, i don't wanna get into trouble.

    BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    Leonius wrote: »
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Halo is full of rage quitters.
    I'm still of the opinion that there should be some kind of significant penalty for dropped games. I don't care if it stings me a few times for power outages or whatever, I just can't stand when you go to play a match and folks give up just because theyre five or ten kills down out of the gate.

    There sort of was for Reach

    Didn't help much

    Reach had a huge problem with quitters, my solution would be an immediate 10 or 15 deaths added to your service record. Because it seems to me the people that often quit do it in some sad attempt to keep their k/d ratio up

  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard And that's why they call me Drilltooth! Registered User regular
    HOLY GODDAMN that Spartan Ops trailer.

    I want this game NAO

    YsR6QkX.jpg
    KlatBlutig
  • LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    Here's a YouTube of the livestream from today:

    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Total Goober Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I'll also ask again since the old thread closed.

    Any word on coop in the Campaign, or is Spartan Ops the only choice?
    The OP mentions 4 player campaign co-op...

    *Looks at OP* Whoops..... *Walks out slowly in shame*

    JusticeforPluto on
  • heckelsheckels Registered User regular
    If you quit your spartan just runs around in circles and if you get killed it adds a death to your total deaths...then your teammates can punish you for quiting....

    heckels_zps9443e2b3.png
    Renegade Wolf
  • DragkoniasDragkonias Registered User regular
    As far as rage quitting goes the problem I had with it was that since Halo is a much more team-oriented game having those people missing for a minute or two could really have an impact on how matches went.

    Was very annoying.

    Vyolyn
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Quitting penalties are dumb. Here's why: no penalty is enough to keep people in when they REALLY want out. There's even games that don't allow quitting, so people just dashboard out. Now, once your 4 on 4 CTF is a 2 on 4 or even a 1 on 4, guess what: I want to quit. So I'm gonna take a harsh penalty for avoiding 12 minutes + of 15 year olds teabagging me and calling me a fag because "HA HA HA, YOU CAN'T OUTFIGHT FOUR PEOPLE WITH POWER WEAPONS BY YOURSELF!"? Yeah, fuck that. Also when you get dropped because the host's connection is shit (happened ALL THE TIME in Gears 2). Enjoy your -750 XP or whatever. That'll teach you to hit "find match" and trust that we would find you a playable match, NOOB!

    Now consecutive quitting penalties (which Reach had) are a good idea. Once you're quitting 4 out of every 5 games, you're a problem and should be punished.

  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Ugh. I have lived a blessed life. It sounds silly, but finding out no visible ranks in Halo 4 is one of the saddest moments of my life in a long time. Its been an awesome few years I suppose. But christ, I was really looking forward to this game, hoping to bring back some old awesome memories with some good friends, but sorta feels like thats been ripped away :(

    On the bright side, if this is the worst thing to happen to me in a while...yay for an awesome life :)

    Ill still play it. But...damn this sucks. Are they at least having Arena or SOMETHING that doesnt feel like "practice" or "dicking around"?

    616610-1.png
    fatalspoons
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    have you tried MLG forums? I'm sure you can arrange "fun" matches there

    XB1/360 - Local H Jay
    Watch me on TouYubes!
    And Tvvitch!
    jerichotwofour
  • YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    Anyone on tonight for some Halloween Halo? Seeing as how Reach is the effective end of my Halo career, I'm trying to give it a good sendoff. GT: YardGnome737, I'm bumming around watching stuff on Netflix so just send me an invite/message.

  • Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Quitting penalties are dumb. Here's why: no penalty is enough to keep people in when they REALLY want out. There's even games that don't allow quitting, so people just dashboard out. Now, once your 4 on 4 CTF is a 2 on 4 or even a 1 on 4, guess what: I want to quit. So I'm gonna take a harsh penalty for avoiding 12 minutes + of 15 year olds teabagging me and calling me a fag because "HA HA HA, YOU CAN'T OUTFIGHT FOUR PEOPLE WITH POWER WEAPONS BY YOURSELF!"? Yeah, fuck that. Also when you get dropped because the host's connection is shit (happened ALL THE TIME in Gears 2). Enjoy your -750 XP or whatever. That'll teach you to hit "find match" and trust that we would find you a playable match, NOOB!

    Now consecutive quitting penalties (which Reach had) are a good idea. Once you're quitting 4 out of every 5 games, you're a problem and should be punished.

    Yeah I'd still quit in that situation too but I still think penalties are a good idea

    A game like that would come around rarely enough that I'd be fine taking whatever quit penalty there is.

    And I'm not too worried about losing connection to the host, the host migration in Halo is usually good enough to keep the game going.

    Renegade Wolf on
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    No visible ranks + join in progress is going to be so great.

    Dragkoniasjerichotwofourshoeboxjeddy
  • SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Registered User regular
    YardGnome wrote: »
    Anyone on tonight for some Halloween Halo? Seeing as how Reach is the effective end of my Halo career, I'm trying to give it a good sendoff. GT: YardGnome737, I'm bumming around watching stuff on Netflix so just send me an invite/message.

    Not interested in 4?

  • YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    YardGnome wrote: »
    Anyone on tonight for some Halloween Halo? Seeing as how Reach is the effective end of my Halo career, I'm trying to give it a good sendoff. GT: YardGnome737, I'm bumming around watching stuff on Netflix so just send me an invite/message.

    Not interested in 4?
    I'm less than excited about most of the changes plus the mandatory 8 gig install isn't going to fly on my 20gig hard drive.

  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Eh, I could. I could also travel around and do tournies like I did in Halo 1. But Im a wee bit too busy for that now adays. Plus I have no way of knowing how "good" these people supposedly are. (k/d and other stats are WAAAY too paddable, plus a good matchamking system would leave everyone at around 1.0 in both k/d and w/l). I dont understand how they dont have ANYTHING.

    Really SC2 would have been the best model for a ranking system. Have it place you in leagues, have it based on your "team" similar to SC2. Woulda solved almost all the issues Halo 2 and 3 had, but kept a nice system alive for folks who play competitively. It literally just makes zero sense to me that theyd give nothing to play for. Like, thats the part that makes me sort of angry. I dont like when people act illogically and I really cant see the logic in this move at all. If I could wrap my head around it, and make it seem like a reasonable decision, I could accept it easier.

    But to me it seems insane, like actually insane, to not give something for competitive players. Maybe they still have something, just not a "rank." I guess a "league" system like SC2 wouldnt technically be rank, but...thats wishful thinking. Unless theres someway to match yourself up against the rest of the world, there isnt really a good way to have a competitive system. And any way of matching yourself would fall under the definition of a rank.

    I took my first week of vacation in like 3 years for this game, and now it sort of feels like a waste. Blah, just venting I suppose.

    Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    It literally just makes zero sense to me that theyd give nothing to play for.

    I feel like the gameplay is what they give you to play for

    AvalonGuardshoeboxjeddyArteenNitsua
  • fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    No visible ranks + join in progress is going to be so great.

    The day they add join-in-progress is the day I quit playing. Call of Duty is already a cesspool of rage quitters and people who just want to dick around trolling their allies. I imagine Halo would quickly follow suit if join in progress was added and eliminated ANY semblance of serious competitiveness and team identity to the game.

    Maybe I'd be okay with join-in-progress for big team battle. No one takes that game type seriously anyway. But that's pretty much the only game type I would tolerate adopting that play model.

  • Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    No visible ranks + join in progress is going to be so great.

    The day they add join-in-progress is the day I quit playing. Call of Duty is already a cesspool of rage quitters and people who just want to dick around trolling their allies. I imagine Halo would quickly follow suit if join in progress was added and eliminated ANY semblance of serious competitiveness and team identity to the game.

    Maybe I'd be okay with join-in-progress for big team battle. No one takes that game type seriously anyway. But that's pretty much the only game type I would tolerate adopting that play model.

    I got some bad news for you...

    Join in Progress is in Halo 4

  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    They HAVE join in progress.

    I think you at least have the option to NOT join games in progress, which is my main concern. The last thing I want is to join a game thats about to end with no control over winning and losing.

    I dunno. There was something about Halo where I actually cared in the team won or lost. In COD I literally just care about my k/d. With Reach this changed a bit towards that. I really doubt I'll care about wins and losses in Halo 4.
    I feel like the gameplay is what they give you to play for

    Games get old pretty quick. Competition keeps me coming back. Seeing visible improvement keeps me coming back. Some folks are just wired differently, I guess. I dunno why "competitive" players constantly have to defend their opinion. Ill play Halo 4, but I'll likely quit in a week or two. Theres a chance, if the PA guys are cool (which I assume you guys are) I'll stick around longer if there is a strong community to play with.

    But I highly doubt I'll spend much time just playing alone when I have some time to kill.

    616610-1.png
  • fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Wow. Well, I'm just sad then.
    Disrupter wrote: »
    There was something about Halo where I actually cared in the team won or lost. In COD I literally just care about my k/d. With Reach this changed a bit towards that. I really doubt I'll care about wins and losses in Halo 4.

    Yeah, that pretty much sums up the difference between call of duty and halo, and is exactly why I'm really bummed to hear the direction 343 industries has gone. I can already see that there is really going to be much less of an incentive to cooperate or play as a team. I can already guarantee there's going to be even more rage quitting. There's gonna be more goofing around. I mean, at least there's hope that you can turn off joining mid progress, so that'll help at least a little, but it's still going to much more of a casual, goofy clusterfuck, like call of duty, rather than the intense competitive game it was with halo 2 and halo 3. It's kinda sad this seems to be the trend with most games, not just Halo. The casual player calls the shots nowadays. Everyone is afraid of competition.

    "Here in kindergarten soccer, we don't keep score, and there are no winners or losers, because we don't want the kids to be sad." -Halo 4 Developers.

    fatalspoons on
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt DON'T call me annie... unless you're my friendRegistered User regular
    Wow. Well, I'm just sad then.
    Disrupter wrote: »
    There was something about Halo where I actually cared in the team won or lost. In COD I literally just care about my k/d. With Reach this changed a bit towards that. I really doubt I'll care about wins and losses in Halo 4.

    Yeah, that pretty much sums up the difference between call of duty and halo, and is exactly why I'm really bummed to hear the direction 343 industries has gone. I can already see that there is really going to be much less of an incentive to cooperate or play as a team. I can already guarantee there's going to be even more rage quitting. There's gonna be more goofing around. I mean, at least there's hope that you can turn off joining mid progress, so that'll help at least a little, but it's still going to much more of a casual, goofy clusterfuck, like call of duty, rather than the intense competitive game it was with halo 2 and halo 3. It's kinda sad this seems to be the trend with most games, not just Halo. The casual player calls the shots nowadays. Everyone is afraid of competition.

    "Here in kindergarten soccer, we don't keep score, and there are no winners or losers, because we don't want the kids to be sad." -Halo 4 Developers.

    I imagine if there is some sort of ranked/arena-style "for realsies" gametype, join in progress would be disabled for it.

  • jerichotwofourjerichotwofour The artist formally known as S043. Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    The join in progress system is not a big deal because: 1) We usually try and roll a full party anyway. 2) When we're not rolling a full party, we're in a private chat and don't care about the randoms on our teams. 3) We're pretty laid back when we play Halo anyway. We just wanna chat/make dick jokes and play Halo with bros. That's not to say we don't play to win, because we want all the experience we can get, but we tend to weed out people who bitch and moan if our "performance" is not up to snuff.

    *cough* Primus *cough*

    Same thing with the rank shit: the "military" ranking, playing it with buddies and unlocking new armor/weapons IS the prize. Why the hell is a number next to your name a big deal? Play MLG for that shit. Life is not all competition, and I pity people who ignore entire games because it doesn't cater to their "competitive lifestyle."

    jerichotwofour on
    PSN: ZeroFourThree (PS3, PS4) | XBL: JerichoTwoFour (360, XB1)
    shoeboxjeddy
  • fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    I recognize that there are two sides to this coin. I recognize that there is a need for consideration of casual players. If 343 industries announced tomorrow that all gametypes were going to be ranked, and all gameplay decisions were going to be made only with competitive players in mind, I'd be against it. I'd be passionately against it.

    A good game developer considers both casual and competitive gamers and gives both of them the tools they need to play the game the way they enjoy to play it. It's fairly clear that without any ranking system whatsoever, they've come up short on the competitive end. What I don't understand is why so many people in this thread are apologetic for it. Even if you don't particular enjoy serious competitive play, wouldn't you still want people who do to be able to play this game the way they've come to enjoy it? I certainly would if the shoe was on the other foot.

  • MorskittarMorskittar Registered User regular
    I absolutely love games where most of my team ragequits. I feel like every single win and kill is an epic, hard-fought battle.

    Maybe playing Horde on a WoW PVP server in the first year gave me a masochistic condition or something. But I feel like I learn the most and improve the most when the odds are impossible.

    snm_sig.jpg
    Nitsua
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    nobody has a problem with competition, it's this attachment to ranked that is completely psychological. ranking, as it exsisted in H2 and 3, was flawed. it's encouraged shitty behavior in multiplayer, and fosters lame things like de-ranking, account buying, and boosting. the tools for competitive play are there, as evidenced by MLG. nothing is really changing except for an arbitrary number next to your name, people need to realize that you can play halo the way you want without measuring e-penises. truly competitive play goes beyond a rank, and you'd do well to realize that.

    XB1/360 - Local H Jay
    Watch me on TouYubes!
    And Tvvitch!
    shoeboxjeddyAngel177
  • Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I recognize that there are two sides to this coin. I recognize that there is a need for consideration of casual players. If 343 industries announced tomorrow that all gametypes were going to be ranked, and all gameplay decisions were going to be made only with competitive players in mind, I'd be against it. I'd be passionately against it.

    A good game developer considers both casual and competitive gamers and gives both of them the tools they need to play the game the way they enjoy to play it. It's fairly clear that without any ranking system whatsoever, they've come up short on the competitive end. What I don't understand is why so many people in this thread are apologetic for it. Even if you don't particular enjoy serious competitive play, wouldn't you still want people who do to be able to play this game the way they've come to enjoy it? I certainly would if the shoe was on the other foot.

    Who said there was no ranking system at all?

    It doesn't have visible ranks but there is still a system in place

    Renegade Wolf on
    shoeboxjeddy
  • fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    nobody has a problem with competition, it's this attachment to ranked that is completely psychological. ranking, as it exsisted in H2 and 3, was flawed. it's encouraged shitty behavior in multiplayer, and fosters lame things like de-ranking, account buying, and boosting. the tools for competitive play are there, as evidenced by MLG. nothing is really changing except for an arbitrary number next to your name, people need to realize that you can play halo the way you want without measuring e-penises. truly competitive play goes beyond a rank, and you'd do well to realize that.

    You need to explain this MLG solution to me. Does MLG have a matchmaking system that keeps track of your progress and shows you how you compare with others who play the game, that matches you against similarly skilled opponents, and that is possible to play over x-box live? If they do, then sign me up. But I don't think they do. That's the whole point of the ranking system. To keep track of my progress and give me a bearing for where I'm at, which in turn gives me incentive to get better. You can have as much disdain for competitive players as you want, but it is literally the way every physical sport in the world works. People play to win, and want recognition for doing well.

    Again, if that's not your cup of tea, more power to ya. That's perfectly fine, and there are tools for you to enjoy this game without a rank. What I don't get is why you care so much that other people want to play this way, and actively root against them.

    fatalspoons on
  • fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    I recognize that there are two sides to this coin. I recognize that there is a need for consideration of casual players. If 343 industries announced tomorrow that all gametypes were going to be ranked, and all gameplay decisions were going to be made only with competitive players in mind, I'd be against it. I'd be passionately against it.

    A good game developer considers both casual and competitive gamers and gives both of them the tools they need to play the game the way they enjoy to play it. It's fairly clear that without any ranking system whatsoever, they've come up short on the competitive end. What I don't understand is why so many people in this thread are apologetic for it. Even if you don't particular enjoy serious competitive play, wouldn't you still want people who do to be able to play this game the way they've come to enjoy it? I certainly would if the shoe was on the other foot.

    Who said there was no ranking system at all?

    It doesn't have visible ranks but there is still a system in place

    From here on forward can we all just establish that I'm talking about visible rankings. An invisible ranking does not help me track my progress and understand if I'm getting better or worse at the game compared to other players. It also doesn't solve the incentive issues. It is not an good answer for competitive gamers.

This discussion has been closed.