Options

Mitchell & [Chat] & Webb

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Tamriel needs Mongolians.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Man, the next episode of Adventure Time is gonna be OFF THE CHAIN

• Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Winky wrote: »
    "We're vikings but we don't like boats."
    Did you know: Viking is more of a job description, not a nationality or race!

There were Danes who weren't Vikings, and there were Vikings who weren't Danes. There were even Vikings who weren't Vikings, most of the time. And people who were mostly Vikings who sometimes weren't!

It's complicated. But not really.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Tamriel just makes no fucking sense.

It is a really poorly thought out and slap-shod setting, yes.

Though I don't really know how much you can expect of a setting derived from some dudes' DnD campaigns that includes a province called "Elsewhere".

• Options
    Tamriel is portrayed really well though so I love it.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Essayist Joan Didion is a representative critic of Kinkade's style:
    A Kinkade painting was typically rendered in slightly surreal pastels. It typically featured a cottage or a house of such insistent coziness as to seem actually sinister, suggestive of a trap designed to attract Hansel and Gretel. Every window was lit, to lurid effect, as if the interior of the structure might be on fire.

Yes, this.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Ahahaha

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Chanus wrote: »
    If it makes you feel better, Thomas Kinkade sold a shitload of paintings even though he sucked.

The people like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis. You can't trust the people.

But Hans, people LIKE nuts and lager!
    (greatest show)

Deebaser on
  • Options
    Sarksus wrote: »

I'm just saying: imagine if the Elder Scrolls games were set in Middle Earth instead, with the entire breadth of Tolkien's world-building to draw from.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    David Braben is kickstarting an Elite remake.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    The thing is that Nords without ship-building and sea navigating skills are eschewing the vast majority of their source material.

the swedes weren't very boaty

or, well, they were, but like in the baltic, and down the rivers of eastern europe into asia

which, come to think of it, is a better direction to go looking for trade and/or pillaging than just like... into the horizon and guess there is something behind it.

Wasn't a lot of their boat trade handled by Germans for a while?

after the viking age.

But yeah, the Hanseatic League was huge for the city I'm in right now, Bergen. But like, norway is long

and dotted with countless villages with fisher-farmers along most of it. Basically people fished and dried the fish up north, brought it either down here to the Hansa kontor or further south. I think most further distribution was by the hansa merchants. Which was one of the most important basii of their wealth.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    lu tze wrote: »
    Did you know: Viking is more of a job description, not a nationality or race!

There were Danes who weren't Vikings, and there were Vikings who weren't Danes. There were even Vikings who weren't Vikings, most of the time. And people who were mostly Vikings who sometimes weren't!

It's complicated. But not really.

yeah. To go "in viking" was to go on a raid/trading tour.

Norse, describing the people.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    David Braben is kickstarting an Elite remake.

Cool. At this rate, maybe I'll eventually get that Alien Legacy remake I've been wanting for 18 years.

• Options

Though I don't really know how much you can expect of a setting derived from some dudes' DnD campaigns that includes a province called "Elsewhere".

I like "Elsewhere" better than [hackneyed fantasy name #5]

has character

but the map is like, a parody of the fantasy way of making maps.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Dug out my copy of Battlefield 2142 after talking about it today, put the serial in Origin thinking I'd be able to download it, like with Steam.

How foolish of me. Of course I can't.

On the upside, 4 years ago when we moved I put a ziploc bag in the case with a $20 and $10 bill from 1950 in it, and a silver certificate from 1957, that I'd been looking for for four years.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    KOKNp.jpg

• Options

I'm just saying: imagine if the Elder Scrolls games were set in Middle Earth instead, with the entire breadth of Tolkien's world-building to draw from.

Hmmm, if they created the entire Middle Earth in the same detail as Skyrim I might pee my pants a little.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    OMG IT'S ELSWEYR

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

Then you'd have the world in LOTRO. Which is pretty good, but also really, really shows up how much they had to scale down to make it a computer game. Just as an example, a distance from Stock to the Bridge which in the book is 7 miles (IIRC) is in the game about 20 feet.

Even Daggerfall, with it's gargantuan endless plains of pseudorandomly placed trees, wouldn't have been up to a 1:1 scale middle earth.

And the portion of middle earth from the books covers a fairly narrow range of climates and backdrops. It would be much more subtle. Tamriel has a lot going for it in the really different environments all crammed together in an unrealistic but fun way.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Pretend nerd rage.

• Options

Hmmm, if they created the entire Middle Earth in the same detail as Skyrim I might pee my pants a little.

I remember someone was doing this for oblivion

the project ended because the engine just couldn't handle the size of the map. By like, orders of magnitude.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

I am unreasonably excited.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options

has character

I agree, I think in general I am sick of everyone making up their own dumb fantasy world that is the same as everyone else's.

I want to see more, like, historical fantasy and shit.

Like I would not be sad if no one ever made another thing with an elf in it.

• Options
    I've tried playing morrowind and no I the gameplay was annoying

but maaaan that setting

that is the kind of fantasy setting I love!

it's strange and unique

which is what you should go for if you aren't tolkien

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    More dragon riding. Skyrim must have this.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options

has character

I agree, I think in general I am sick of everyone making up their own dumb fantasy world that is the same as everyone else's.

this is so silly

if people actually made Tolkienesqe elves (instead of D&D elves) that would be pretty fresh and different. Or look at Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel or Terry Pratchett evles.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

I am unreasonably excited.

It's kind of remarkable how something that was superficially a kid's show about butts and adventure is actually a show about the fall of civilization. It's really story driven.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Dug out my copy of Battlefield 2142 after talking about it today, put the serial in Origin thinking I'd be able to download it, like with Steam.

How foolish of me. Of course I can't.

On the upside, 4 years ago when we moved I put a ziploc bag in the case with a $20 and $10 bill from 1950 in it, and a silver certificate from 1957, that I'd been looking for for four years.
    Origin should be prosecuted by the Hague.

• Options

has character

I promise you this: if I make a game-thing at some point, and it has elves in it, it will either be a straight norse mythology story

or they will be the fair folk, de underjordiske, sidhe. That kind of thing.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Is this belt man
    thumb160x_picture_5_02.jpg

I mean the belt is pretty obviously a phallic symbol there

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Is this belt man
    thumb160x_picture_5_02.jpg

I mean the belt is pretty obviously a phallic symbol there

it is "belt man" because that is 99% of what is in the picture

a man

and a belt

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

has character

this is so silly

if people actually made Tolkienesqe elves (instead of D&D elves) that would be pretty fresh and different. Or look at Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel or Terry Pratchett evles.

how the hell would it be fresh and different if someone aped after tolkien

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Which is the best Pratchett book for the elves, because I haven't met them yet, and apparently they are cray

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    You're right, that's more belt boy

Belt boy who needs more allowance

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options

has character

this is so silly

how the hell would it be fresh and different if someone aped after tolkien

because almost no one actually has in time since his stuff was published

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Which is the best Pratchett book for the elves, because I haven't met them yet, and apparently they are cray
    He only did one AFAIK, Lords and Ladies.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
  • Options

has character

this is so silly

This does not change the fact that elves, in any sense, are overdone in the extreme. There have to be new taps to draw from for inspiration. Like we have the entirety of every culture's history and mythology but yet for the vast majority of attempts at fantasy worlds we are stuck on elves.

I am sick of elves, any variation of elves.

Do something else!

• Options

The Wee Free Men
    Lords and Ladies (which is one of the Witches books)

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
This discussion has been closed.