As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I think my monitor is broken, please advise

BucketmanBucketman Call meSkraggRegistered User regular
Hello tech folks,

I have been looking for a solution for this online for awhile now, but I can't find any pictures or descriptions that match my issue, and my friends that are more tech savvy then me have no idea.
For awhile now I have had these sort of light streaks vertically on my monitor. They appear in the DVI, HDMI, and VGA inputs so its not an issue with my video card. I've messed with the contrast and brightness, but that doesn't seem to affect it much at all. I took a picture, its not the best but you can see what I'm talking about
1105122003a.jpg

any advice on what the issue is, and if I can even fix it would be appricated. Thanks in advance.

• BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Your monitor works by lamps shining light through a grid which controls what is displayed by filtering that light. It looks to me that holds the light and/or keeps it from reflecting where it should not is not sitting perfectly where it should (if the light was more defined and essentially lines being displayed it would likely be some sort of electrical/electronic issue).

It may be you can fix the issue by taking your monitor completely apart and carefully putting it back together, but it may also be you're monitor internals are glued together so that is not possible. Also taking it apart and putting it back together could mean making it worse, so if you give it a try be careful and also remember to unplug the monitor from everything before starting to take it apart.

This should give you a good idea of what to expect when taking you monitor apart.

Bones heal, glory is forever.