As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Do We Have A Beer Thread? I Want to Talk About Beer Now

Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
My wife did me a kickass solid and picked me up some beer while she was in St. Cloud today

68444_10151326514599595_197609721_n.jpg

Both of those are Scotch Ale or Wee Heavy Ale. Same difference. Schell's Snowstorm I had last year and it was awesome. The Founders Dirty Bastard is a beer I've been wanting to try for a long time. Pretty high alcohol content and just smooth drinkability. Not sure about the lacing...I'm not a pretentious douche. THESE GUYS ARE THOUGH http://beeradvocate.com/

If you ignore the raging douchness it's a pretty good site to read about what beers are good beers. My favorite types of beer are as follows in order

1. Scotch/Wee Heavy Ale
2. Hefeweizen
3. Weizenbock
4. Schwarzbier
5. Happoshu

Let's see how many times we can bring up mouthfeel in this thread.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Screw you guys then! I'm going to bed. Nobody better post in this thread while I'm asleep!

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Give me a good porter or stout any day of the week.

Drinking (many) Left Hand nitro milk stout and it is wonderful.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    drinking some kraken tonight

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    I enjoy sours. And lambic.

Oh man, there's a pumpkin lambic out there that is the just goddamn

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Sours are hard for me

UNLESS

it is barrel aged. Then it is magic.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Also I volunteer every year at the GABF. It is like Willy Wonka's factory, only with beer.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    MagnumCTMagnumCT Registered User regular
    I enjoy porters and stouts as well. I like a beer I can't see through.

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1103/3407

This is what I have in the fridge right now. The guy who said some variation of "toasted" like 20 times in his review is right. It's easily the most prevalent note.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    I picked up a six of Alaskan's winter brew a couple weeks back.

Gone like that.

Shit is amazingly drinkable.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    This is the best time for beer. For I live very close to Troeg's brewery and get this readily:

PvuAS.jpg

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    a few months ago I was talking to my dad about beer

we were drinking a bottle of Pliny the Elder

(it was exquisite)

pops was telling me that I was pretty lucky

when he was in his mid-twenties, there was no such thing as micro-brew

he and his friends drank nothing but Rainier, or Vitamin R as he calls it

(which, for those of you not from Washington, is just a local shite lager (though when compared to other shite lagers it's pretty good))

anyway

I could go for a proper espresso stout right about now

• Options
    MagnumCT wrote: »
    I enjoy porters and stouts as well. I like a beer I can't see through.

same here, bud

occasionally I'll get an IPA since for whatever reason all the bars around here have at least three of them and nothing else exceptional on tap (@Tonkka )

• Options
    TallaclasseeTallaclassee you ever seen a lion limber up before it takes down a gazelleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    A good cold sour on a hot summer day is absolutely fantastic.

For cold weather, as I've aged I've moved on from heavily spiced 'winter' themed ales and would rather have a mild pale. Like magic hat #9.

Tallaclassee on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    I love beer, but beer often does not love me and makes me feel like canned ass

But I would kill a man to have a regular supply of Oberon (@Lost Salient Bells solidarity)

• Options
    MarthMarth Registered User regular
    I'm still finding my taste in beer, but I really like Shiner Blonde at the moment.

Lone Star always does it for me in a pinch (I'm in college so basically just Lone Star right now).

Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • Options
    R0land1188R0land1188 Registered User regular
    I have been drinking the Hangar 24 Orange Wheat. I have been trying to branch out a bit from the citrus wheat beers but haven't really liked much else.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I don't really like beer but I can take down a lambic or two

The Sam Adams one has to be drunk quickly though or it starts to taste like fish

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    50140876.jpg

Five of these sitting in my fridge.

Almost time.

Edit: that's better.

sarukun on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Marth wrote: »
    I'm still finding my taste in beer, but I really like Shiner Blonde at the moment.

Lone Star always does it for me in a pinch (I'm in college so basically just Lone Star right now).

Don't you fucking dare knock the National Beer of Texas.

Also, Lone Star Bock is pretty good.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    i like beer
    i don't drink too much of it, or of any alcohol

we're poor, so we drink shitty beer most of the time, such as Lion's Head, which is only a little more expensive than the same quanity of botled water
    a 30 pack of bottled water is like 8 bucks, and a case of lion's head, in bottles, is about 14 bucks

that case lasts several months

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    a few months ago I was talking to my dad about beer

we were drinking a bottle of Pliny the Elder

(it was exquisite)

pops was telling me that I was pretty lucky

when he was in his mid-twenties, there was no such thing as micro-brew

he and his friends drank nothing but Rainier, or Vitamin R as he calls it

(which, for those of you not from Washington, is just a local shite lager (though when compared to other shite lagers it's pretty good))

anyway

I could go for a proper espresso stout right about now

My Dad likes to tell the story of him and my Mom's wedding reception. They basically just had a party in their backyard. He mentioned once that they had a couple of kegs, so I asked him what was in them.

"Oh, I don't remember. Michelob and Coors probably."

He sees the look on my face and says, "look, it was 1982 that's just what we had back then."

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    i like beers

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    I love ales so much.

Lagers are gross though.

broken image link
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i love beer

all beer

i don't know enough about it, one of these days i want to properly learn my way around beers

also i want to come to America and try some of these American microbrews people keep telling me about. i had something called Brooklyn Lager the other day and it was extremely nice

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I intentionally avoid knowing too much about fancy beers, because I definitely can't afford that particular predilection. Miller Lite 4 lyfe.

Though I do like a nice hefe if I'm treating myself to a nice dinner.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Microbrews are the shit, but they can be kind of expensive. Luckily for me Michigan has good breweries, and loves to promote buying Michigan products so at some store I can usually find them on sale. Founders has some amazing beers, but I prefer Arcadia Ales in general.

I like to fit my beers to the season Fall and Winter more of the darker porters and stouts, and summer gets more IPAs.

At work we just changed out our beer selection so I can pick up some stuff at a reduced price which is nice. Tomorrow I should pick up a couple of Rogue 22oz bottles. A Dead Guy Ale and a coffee flavored beer.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    I enjoy sours. And lambic.

Oh man, there's a pumpkin lambic out there that is the just goddamn

What is this pumpkin lambic? Quickly, man!! I only have 1 more week in Chicago before heading back to Honolulu, which is basically the land that time forgot as far as most craft beer is concerned.

I love sour beers. They are rather hard to come by in Hawaii, so I'm going a bit overboard while visiting family in Chicago. Tonight I polished off my supply of Petrus Aged Pale. Tomorrow I should be able to revisit some old friends from Jolly Pumpkin.

I also love very hoppy IPAs, and good ones are also hard to come by in Honolulu. Dogfish Head IPAs have been like manna from heaven. I also hope to make a pilgrimage to the 3 Floyds brewery before flying back back to HI. If you don't live within the 3-4 midwestern states that 3 Floyds distributes to, and do enjoy hoppy beers, then do anything you can to obtain some of their brews. They are as good as it gets for hopheads.

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Irish pubs mostly have shitty American imports on tap. So I avoid those and go for whatever else they have. I was drinking some Galway hooker the other day and it was nice. It was an Irish pale ale. Smithwicks do a pale ale too along with their regular ale.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    I typically enjoy winter seasonal beers the most out of those typically offered during seasons. I enjoy winter warmers immensely. Drinking a nice rich winter warmer can be both an appetizer and an apertif rolled into one.

That said, my favorite beer might be belgian ales, or more specifically Trappist ales. I enjoy their tart flavors, high carbonation, and kick-your-face alcohol content.

rochefort10.jpg

Probably my favorite beer of all time.

For more drinkable beer, I do love me some German Marzen beers. Orange in hue, copper in taste, sweet and pliable. Refreshing.

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I also drink tuborg which is cheap but I enjoy it compared to the likes of miller/bud/carlsberg/Heineken.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular

Gone like that.

That is because it is delicious. Winter ale brewed with spruce tips? Sign me the fuck up. It tastes like winter.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    i always read lambic as Iambic

as in Pentameter

Crimson King on
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I typically enjoy winter seasonal beers the most out of those typically offered during seasons. I enjoy winter warmers immensely. Drinking a nice rich winter warmer can be both an appetizer and an apertif rolled into one.

That said, my favorite beer might be belgian ales, or more specifically Trappist ales. I enjoy their tart flavors, high carbonation, and kick-your-face alcohol content.

rochefort10.jpg

Probably my favorite beer of all time.

For more drinkable beer, I do love me some German Marzen beers. Orange in hue, copper in taste, sweet and pliable. Refreshing.

I'm typically not a fan of high-alcohol beers but with a color and head like that I'd definitely try it

Shorty on
  • Options
    B_RB_R Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I'm sorry Raijin, but Hefeweizen is for girls.
    Altbier is the best kind of beer.

B_R on
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    Will I be shamed for my unabashed love of Gansett tall boys? Will I be redeemed by proclaiming Anchor Porter as my second love?

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

Gone like that.

That is because it is delicious. Winter ale brewed with spruce tips? Sign me the fuck up. It tastes like winter.

Wait, what? Gonna pick me up some of that tomorrow then, I believe the one place in town that doesn't only carry Bud/Miller/Coors has a few of Alaskan's beers. I tried their amber and liked it awhile back so this sounds promising as hell.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Also, there's a new local brewery literally 20 minutes away and I must absolutely take a tour sometime and try their beers. Always glad to see and support more Texan brewers!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I'm quite happy because I recently found a bottle shop that sells an amazing beer that I found in germany called Schofferhofer. Annoyingly it's way out of the way, but it was still just as nice as I remember it.

Also, I finally tried VB, and it's surprisingly not shit. Definitely better than most other cheap beers you find in pubs.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I seriously need to try more US microbrews stuff. Who wants to ship me some?

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Also I'm really hoping that I can make it to melbourne for pax, because apparently there a really amazing micro breweries there.

This discussion has been closed.