As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Got a weird popup while surfing old topics...

JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster KittehRegistered User regular
I can't remember which page I was on when it happened, but I was rummaging through the old topics in G&T looking for a few old topics when I got a crazy popup asking for a username and password for a website called monkeyparty.com. I scanned my computer with MalwareBytes and MSE and didn't turn up anything, so I'm wondering if it might be an old avatar from an old user or something. I remember it was over in the low 500s of the old topics, and it literally scared me out of my chair when it came up. Any ideas as to why this happened?

steam_sig.png
I can has cheezburger, yes?

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    It's possible that it was caused by someone's signature or avatar.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the way I see it, that must have either been caused by someone's avatar/sig combo or a picture someone posted. I think it's unlikely that you got attacked in any way... I know I've seen that popup when I try to access sites that used to be, but are no longer, publicly accessible. No harm done. So you're probably okay! But yeah, it is kinda freaky to see.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Can I piggyback a question to the admins in this thread, on user avatars causing this behavior? (that wasn't the question, no genie situations)

Is there a means to script the forum to clear the avatars of forum accounts that go unused for a period of time? I'm assuming that the avatars causing these things are on accounts that are no longer used, and that the original hosts are being hijacked or... something.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Accounts that haven't been used in a long time aren't posting in recent threads. It's not an issue of inactivity.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    JaysonFour mentioned skimming through old threads specifically, it's why I made the assumption.