As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SYSTEMS ADMINS & IT MONKEYS] ...maybe they should have hired a professional

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Djeet wrote: »
    Browser won't do anything. Usually orgs have a 302 permanent redirect on the site/server hosting "domain.com" to "www.domain.com" so when an Internet browser goes to http://domain.com it gets immediately redirected to http://www.domain.com

I do it the other way around on my site because fuck the www prefix :rotate:

• Options
    TomatoTomato Registered User regular
    Guys, I'm having some DNS issues as well!

I just recently sprung for a VPS as I'll be hosting a few small-ish websites soon and I'm aiming to expand, so it seemed like a good idea to get this set up now.

I've got to the point where I've made a new account via cPanel, given it the domain I've registered, and have the DNS propagated. The problem is that nothing seems to recognise the hostname -- loading www.mydomain.com in Safari just leads to a blank page, SSH and ping want nothing to do with it. If I try to access the IP directly everything's fine (and Safari shows the default Apache page.)

Is there some super-obvious step I'm missing, here? I feel like I'm in way over my head setting this up, but I'm hoping once I get this working it'll be easier to get the rest of the sites up-and-running.

Are you sure the DNS is properly propagated? What does nslookup return? Are the records pointing to the VPS server?

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Anyone have any good recommendations for monitoring CPU/memory (and possibly) I/O usage on ubuntu server from the web? Local intranet only.

phpsysinfo is fine, but I'd like something a bit more in depth, kind of like htop.

nagios?

Also found this article which may be helpful.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Anyone have any good recommendations for monitoring CPU/memory (and possibly) I/O usage on ubuntu server from the web? Local intranet only.

phpsysinfo is fine, but I'd like something a bit more in depth, kind of like htop.

nagios?

Also found this article which may be helpful.

Way too much. Basically I'm just looking for a web based top tbh. I may just have to bite the bullet and write it myself.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Anyone know of a way to append keypress to a command line app in Linux?

Let's say I want to start a program myprogram and send a keypress of '4' after it launches, can I do that easily?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    We just bumped my site to 20x20 fiber today. From 5x1. Woot

That must be like night and fucking day.

It's pretty dang nice. Too bad I don't download crap of a pirated nature at night, hate to see all that wasted for roughly 16 hours a day. Oh well.

Most importantly, maybe having a video conference going on won't cripple the rest of the office.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular

Let's say I want to start a program myprogram and send a keypress of '4' after it launches, can I do that easily?

You can try this:

http://linux.die.net/man/1/expect

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Entaru wrote: »

You can try this:

http://linux.die.net/man/1/expect

Shouldn't myprog < "4" also work?

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    you mean echo -n 4 | program?

although I guess you could have a file that contains a 4

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    For stardard input redirection, in bash/ksh/sh, you can use the <<EOF syntax, like:
    $ myprogram <<EOF
    EOF

Only the "4" with a newline is sent. Note that "EOF" can be anything, so you could use "FUBAR" instead.

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Bigity wrote: »
    Too bad I don't download crap of a pirated nature at night, hate to see all that wasted for roughly 16 hours a day.
    I'd recommend moving in and gaming on it. Tell them it's an extended burn test to see if it can handle that type of stress

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    Hmm none of those work, I assume it's looking for an actual keypress event or something.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Hmm none of those work, I assume it's looking for an actual keypress event or something.

Find out the hex code for the keypress and use Echo to send it, maybe?

http://linux.die.net/man/1/xxd
    http://linux.die.net/man/1/echo

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular

it might be reading directly from the tty

is it curses based? or some type of password input?

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    I think it's curses based, yeah.

• Options
    Basically I'm trying to get top to give me a CPU % load based on the , which requires you to press '1' to do it (there's no command switch for it).

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Today on "what the hell is happening on this god damn network?" -

I was doing some configuration on a new instance of SQL server on a new server, and then all of a sudden SSMS kicks me out and says "You can't connect from an untrusted domain" when I'm connection to a local DB with a local admin account.

Much hair pulling later; Someone / something had changed the server I was working on's name. While I was using it. Somehow. wut. There isn't even anything in the event viewer logs. Just one second my server is called one thing, and then the next second its called something else.

I'm puzzled.

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    Basically I'm trying to get top to give me a CPU % load based on the , which requires you to press '1' to do it (there's no command switch for it).

mpstat -P ALL should give you the cpu idle of all cores, maybe that is easier than what top is doing? Would have to do a polling loop though if you want continuous output.

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    So ok, some business in office building wants a vpn, they have their own independent internet service.

Get there router is already in place and internet works.

Find out router has different external IP than what the ISP says its supposed to be. Also find out wan port isn't connected directly to any modem like it is supposed to be, but seems to be plugged into another tenants network. wat.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Draygo wrote: »
    Tomato wrote: »
    Testing the zip trick, it seems it only works when the password is set using the Review Menu-> Protect Workbook/Protect Sheet. If you go File -> Protect Workbook - Encrypt with Password, then you can't open the archive after changing the extension.

-edit-

I'm currently building a home test lab and I'm looking for feedback. Everything is virtualized.

Server 2008 with DC, DNS and DHCP roles.
    WDS and MDT for capturing and deploying images.
    PDQ deploy for deploying application to clients.
    WSUS for managing Microsoft updates.
    Another VM is going to be running Exchange, Lync and Office 365.
    I might set up a Sharepoint server but it seems like a mess to configure and install so I might wait before everything else is complete.

Routing and firewall and handled by a Pfsense machine.

Any other key programs/utilities I might be missing. The goal is to replicate an enterprise environment and try to configure everything so that it's fully functional.

DFS (or third party similar), and your enterprise antivirus solution.

I prefer GlobalSCAPE WAFS to DFS. But yes!

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

Cacti?

• Options
    TomatoTomato Registered User regular
    I've set up an Observium box as a test and it seems to work well enough. It's SNMP based and presents everything through your browser, but it's rather heavy if you only want CPU/Memory and I/O usage.

• Options
    So, we have some sort of partner action packed type hing with Microsoft. They rotate old versions of stuff out of what you can download, but I need the SQL 2008 key they used to have. It's now replaced with the 2012 key, instead. Anyone know if there's any way to get what once was?

• Options

mpstat -P ALL should give you the cpu idle of all cores, maybe that is easier than what top is doing? Would have to do a polling loop though if you want continuous output.

You're a swell dude.

• Options
    Does anyone know of any good work-arounds or registry hacks to help combat the issues caused by multiple instances of Excel opened at one time?

There are a few heavy Excel power users who are growing quite irate since I gave them their new computers (XP-x86 to 7-x64). One has executive authority and the other has the uncanny ability to bitch and bitch and make your life miserable until she gets what she wants or told to shut up, and the person with the authority to tell her to shut up is the former. That being said, I've promised to take another look into possible solutions.

• Options
    What's the issue?

We have someone here on win7x64 using excel 2010 with 0 issues. Knowing her, she's easily a power user of excel.

• Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    So, we have some sort of partner action packed type hing with Microsoft. They rotate old versions of stuff out of what you can download, but I need the SQL 2008 key they used to have. It's now replaced with the 2012 key, instead. Anyone know if there's any way to get what once was?
    From my understanding, the keys must be shown as the latest version, but they are backwards compatible... up to a point. My assumption is that 2008 isn't old enough where that should present a problem.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    What's the issue?

We have someone here on win7x64 using excel 2010 with 0 issues. Knowing her, she's easily a power user of excel.
    The problem is when they have multiple instances open; not files, but instances. By default, when you open an Excel file, it opens in the same instance, if already open. To open another instance, you have to manually open Excel again.

Typically, the problems are just simple copy/paste issues involving multiple cell ranges between the two instances. We've instructed users that this is a known issue and to avoid multiple instances of Excel if possible. However, she's been complaining that it crashes on her 4-5 times a day. I don't have much more than that, as I still need to go over logs and such.

This was never an issue before people started getting dual monitors, which is what prompted them to start opening multiple instances so they could view an Excel file on each screen. I've been trying to get them to just expand the Excel window across both monitors and have the files moved around within that single instance, but old habits die hard

Also, we're using Excel 2007, if that makes any difference. And it's fully patched.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    "Tough shit, deal with single instance program with tabs."

• Options
    edited August 2013
    This is actually where windows 7 integration wins. Hover over excel/right click (on the task bar), switch to the worksheet by selecting it on the hover menu. Tell them if they keep it up, you'll move them to windows 8.

bowen on
  • Options
    "Tough shit, deal with single instance program with tabs."
    That was basically my response, but put in a more tactful manner that won't get me fired. After its poor reception, I came back and said that I would take another look, but can't promise anything.

I wonder if an Office upgrade to the newest version would take care of said issues... Yay! More things we didn't budget for!!!

• Options
    I doubt it, Office 2010 works pretty well though. Previously mentioned coworker had no trouble adapting to the new windows 7 way.

If you're on 2007, though, that might be the issue.

Fuck it, give them libre office and call it a day.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Give 'em one of these:
    old_account_ledger.jpg

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Make sure to give them a new nameplate on their desk that says "Ebenezer"

• Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    Accounting department at a billion dollar venture firm expands Excel to cover both screens.

I think they can deal it with it.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    What's the issue?

The problem is when they have multiple instances open; not files, but instances. By default, when you open an Excel file, it opens in the same instance, if already open. To open another instance, you have to manually open Excel again.

Typically, the problems are just simple copy/paste issues involving multiple cell ranges between the two instances. We've instructed users that this is a known issue and to avoid multiple instances of Excel if possible. However, she's been complaining that it crashes on her 4-5 times a day. I don't have much more than that, as I still need to go over logs and such.

This was never an issue before people started getting dual monitors, which is what prompted them to start opening multiple instances so they could view an Excel file on each screen. I've been trying to get them to just expand the Excel window across both monitors and have the files moved around within that single instance, but old habits die hard

Also, we're using Excel 2007, if that makes any difference. And it's fully patched.
    As far as I know there's no way for it to not be generally sucky. I know in 2007 and older versions there was a menu option you had to check to even allow it to happen. I would just find a polite way to tell them to suck it up.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being crazy, how crazy am I for putting our network based surge protector accessible to the interwebs?

Still needs username/password to access.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being crazy, how crazy am I for putting our network based surge protector accessible to the interwebs?.
    I would put it behind your VPN. That way, you could explain it away to higher ups, without it sounding like a security risk.
    Yeah, that can be a chicken and egg issue, but that's still the safer way to go, politically speaking.

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    The whole point is to be able to power cycle our router and various servers in the event of a lockup. The router specifically has been having issues with this.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    I would just find a polite way to tell them to suck it up.
    I'm thinking that's pretty much my only option, although I may try out Office 2010. If they complain after 2010, then they're just going to complain.
    On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being crazy, how crazy am I for putting our network based surge protector accessible to the interwebs?

Still needs username/password to access.
    I think the idea is pretty great, but the security nazi in me screams NOOOOO!!! If someone were to gain access and shut it down, could you still access it to bring the units back up without physically needing to be there?

And maybe it's just my lack of knowledge with such units, but doesn't the network-based surge protector have to pull an IP from the router? If that's the case, how would you connect to the surge protector if the router is down? Again, I'm totally willing to claim ignorance on this one.

Le_Goat on
This discussion has been closed.