As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Friday, December 7, 2012 - The Vault Of Winter, Part One

2»

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I think he's been retconned into a human? Maybe?

I know they were several episodes in before Tycho noticed his guy is a half elf. He quite possibly is still but they've kept the way he looks the same as the comics from the podcasts.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Tycho always knew he was a half-elf, but Gabe and Scott didn't realize it until he started belting out the Elven at one point (it may have been when Aofel first joined). Basically Tycho never did anything "half-elfy" so it never came up.

• Options
    CybitCybit Merch Underling RedmondRegistered User regular
    I think he spent...5000 or 6000 on the ring? I can't remember.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    JAEF wrote: »
    Is it just me or does the lady look exactly like Mike if he were a lady?

G6xUc.jpg

Maybe he accidentally drew himself as a lady. It happens.

• Options
    If they have a situation with Al and tons of acid, I will be overjoyed.

• Options
    chuckleberryfinnchuckleberryfinn Ireland Registered User regular
    Oh f*ck yes!

Acquisitions Incorporated comic!
    And the best part?
    Don't have to listen to Wheaton. He seems like a nice guy and big into his RP, but he overacts far too much.[/quote]

No Protoss players were underpowered during this post.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I like Wheaton for just that. He and Gabe are polar opposites in playing style which just made Acquisitions even funnier to me.

• Options
    Yeah but there are parts of the podcasts which I can't listen to because of him. Rudy the undead hound song, the big death speeches he gave etc make me cringe. Just sort of seemed like he was trying to audition or something every time he was on the podcasts. Drove me frigging crazy at first; I don't hate him as much as I used to though. :)

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Yes. He does have the tendency to be a ham. He kind of hogged that last PAX session. Still, I would think it would be somewhat quiet if he was not there. Really, they need to bring on Straub as a regular.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    The PAX outing where he was playing the zombie stinky was fucking awful.

Yeah, see I completely agree. Straub would be a much better fit and he probably wouldn't piss off Scott so much.

• Options
    Not to go on a rant, but I put the podcasts on at work when I'm bored and I've heard them quite a bit. Wheaton always tries to top everyone and at one point he actually said "control z"; I've been working with computers for a decade and I've never said that. It'd be great if they made more D&D podcasts (they're what got me into the game), but, christ, I wish they'd drop him.

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Nope. He needs to stay.

We need him for more sick burns like, "It's OK, we only lost a redshirt."

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I just finished listening to the first season just now, and it was pretty fun. (Except oh my god they had bad rolls, holy crap.)

Tried starting season two and... yeah, I just can't listen to it. Wheaton is fine, his roleplay is good and it's obvious they all enjoy it, but listening to that sort of super serious roleplay has always made me uncomfortable for some reason. It's the same the few times i've tried D&D myself.

Having these in comic form is fantastic.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    the live PAX D&D sessions are amazing. i like Wil Wheaton, but i can see how his playstyle can grate on nerves. having them play on a live stage seems to negate most of the negatives :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dmTINEnGwnc

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    I just finished listening to the first season just now, and it was pretty fun. (Except oh my god they had bad rolls, holy crap.)

Tried starting season two and... yeah, I just can't listen to it. Wheaton is fine, his roleplay is good and it's obvious they all enjoy it, but listening to that sort of super serious roleplay has always made me uncomfortable for some reason. It's the same the few times i've tried D&D myself.

Having these in comic form is fantastic.

Ah, they're not too serious. They make a lot of jokes. It's worth listening to them.

• Options
    Blackie62Blackie62 Registered User regular
    I think we're all ignoring an elephant in the room. Purple eyes, fantasy or not purple eyes are the headlights of the speeding hatchback of danger headed toward our adventurers on a dark stretch of road. With the driver of this economic pseudo-station wagon intoxicated at the wheel there is no conclusion that will not perilously for our heroes. Though there is hope, heed the purple eyes and Acquisitions incorporated can save itself from a mission that can only end in their doom. Dive out head lights and escape the hatchback.

• Options
    yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    To be fair to Wil, we've only ever seen him roleplay in venues that are specifically intended for an audience. He puts on a show because they're putting on a show.

yurnamehere on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Hawt violet-eyed lady with black hair? Yeah, that's pretty much Onyxia.
    WAVE OFF!

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Yes. He does have the tendency to be a ham. He kind of hogged that last PAX session. Still, I would think it would be somewhat quiet if he was not there. Really, they need to bring on Straub as a regular.

Agreed, the Dark Sun campaign is my favorite. I just find Kris's voice hilarious (usually in the Blams), but the actual jokes are great too. I wish they'd do another episode, I was really getting into the setting and the story Jerry had going.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Really, I think having Straub and Wheaton would be interesting.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    After listening/watching the 2012 Acq Inc. game, yeah, I get the feel that Will Wheaton is trying too hard to be funny.

Contrast with the usually more deadpan delivery of Jerry and especially Mike, I am beginning to feel that yeah, Will, please shut up. The "super serious" roleplay or his ham isn't what bothers me about him. He just needs to dial-back the referential humor and the tendency to "me too" into the jokes.

To be fair, he's the odd man out in the group of longtime friends. It's difficult to be a part of that sort of unspoken alloy formed by Mike and Jerry.

EDIT: Woops, fixed the year. Had it down as "1012."

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Pretty much - it isn't like Wil doesn't have good organic jokes as well. But there are quite a few that fail because they're forced, or they fall a bit flat (which happens to everyone else too) and he tries to resuscitate them by pushing them over the top - going too loud/long/Family Guy-style reference.

• Options
    geekoidgeekoid Registered User regular
    Is this plot a nod to Terry Pratchett's Hogfather? If so, I look forward to the appearance of Mr. Teatime.

Now I will break machinery with my head!