As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Baldur's Gate] BG3 from Larian is on its way!

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »
    ...of course the G3 forums go down the exact same day I decide to mod up my BG/2 installs for Tutu.

That sucks, they were up earlier today. Were there any mods in particular you were looking for? If so, and I have them, I can toss them on Dropbox for a while.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Appreciate the offer, but I wouldn't have had the chance to start playing tonight anyway. Hopefully they'll be back up by the time I wake up, but if not...well, maybe I'll have to take you up on that anyway.

I am rather surprised there aren't more hosts for these mods given their popularity. I checked ModDB and it was annoyingly sparse.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The G3 site itself is up right now, but the forums are still down.

Just FYI.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Huh, I don't think I knew dwarf/gnome/halflings got massive saving throw bonuses from CON.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Picked up BGEE because I never played BG1 and I don't really want to mess around with Tutu and mods and whatnot. Hope it doesn't let me down. The good news -- holy shit, color-coded destination markers for your party are a revelation!

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    They just released another patch that erased the last of the bugs I've personally run into.

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    hmm, I wonder if there's a battlemage kit for BG2

Fighter/Mage

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    okay, now I'm getting slightly annoyed by the G3 forums downtime. If anyone has the following available and wouldn't mind making them available somewhere, you'll earn my nomination for "best person of the weekend" award.

http://www.gibberlings3.net/widescreen/
    http://www.gibberlings3.net/bg2fixpack/
    http://www.gibberlings3.net/spell_rev/
    http://www.gibberlings3.net/bg1npc/

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    okay, now I'm getting slightly annoyed by the G3 forums downtime. If anyone has the following available and wouldn't mind making them available somewhere, you'll earn my nomination for "best person of the weekend" award.

Dropboxing them now.

Widescreen
    Fixpack
    Spell Revisions
    Spell Revisions hotfixes: extract this into your BG folder, overwrite any files, and reinstall SR to get the fixes
    BG1 NPC Project
    BG1 NPC Project music

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    korodullin wrote: »

Dropboxing them now.

Widescreen
    Fixpack
    Spell Revisions
    Spell Revisions hotfixes: extract this into your BG folder, overwrite any files, and reinstall SR to get the fixes
    BG1 NPC Project
    BG1 NPC Project music

If only the awesome button gave gold stars. Thanks a bunch!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    For what it's worth, the G3 forums should be up by tomorrow.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I can't believe my BG thread went the distance

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    mcSTLTxS

Poor, poor Garrick.

Also dem typos, egads.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Has anyone figured out the way to show the in-game clock on the iPad version?

• Options
    edited December 2012
    So has anyone messed around with W_GUI before? It's quite pretty and a nice change of pace.

Npilq13G

snWmFkxK

ZjhdGVPq

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I've used it before. I think I'm too used to the default look though.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    yeah i used a older version which didnt have the load menus done yet. i do like the look of the inventory and the main menu screens for bgt but i dont like that character sheet, it is nice for a fresh coat of paint if you are too used to bg2's scheme. i know im sick of the original bg1 hence why i havent bothered installing the tutu_gui this time for bg1 play.

surprised there isnt more hud mods, i remember seeing a port of the iwd hud somewhere.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Apparently GUI mods (or at least GUI mods that don't look like amateur-hour hackjobs) are a huge pain in the ass to make, which is why there aren't more. From what I'm hearing it's a lot easier to do it for BGEE, though, so that should see some more.

Edit: Welp, 17 reputation and, despite the Happy Patch, Shar-Teel up and quit my group. Looks like I have to either sink some cash into a Lake Poet to get my rep down or pick Minsc up.

Edit2:
    WVUxF14k

Dammit Ajantis, stop being reasonable.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    going through the bgee forums and there already are a few gui mods, different colours and looks too.

also discovered that they have released v11 of bg2 tweakpack, which fixes a ton of bad shit that v10 had, namely 100% miscasting of spells in heavy armour and nwn style rolls picking the lower numbers. goddamnit.

time to go back in my install order slowly and install v11. grrrr.

if anyone is looking for g3 mods while the site is down, everything is up to date here: http://www.camagna.net/g3mirror/g3_emergency_mirror.html

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Oh geez, I didn't even know there was a v10 of the fixpack. I may just abandon this Avenger playthrough (it's not going as well as I'd hoped) and simply do a reinstall.

Edit: Oh wait, that's the tweak pack, not the fixpack

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    yeah i kept getting them mixed up, was confused too when i looked and saw v9 of fixpack installed and thought whaaaaat.

• Options
    Chomp-ChompChomp-Chomp Shonen Princess Registered User regular
    OK. This is my first time to the rodeo, and I need some help.

I get this mage called Xzar who's crazy as a bedbug. Ho-hum. About 10 seconds later he takes 99 magic missiles to the face from an assassin mage. Having only 4 HP, he dies most horrifically.

Now, I guess I could rez him... but I don't care about him.

Are there any penalties for not bringing him back? I understand I won't be able to talk to him (which I can certainly live without), but does it close off any quests, or mess with my alignment, or anything else I might not be aware of? I'm pretty sure there are other wizards out there; is this nut some god-tier NPC I should keep around?

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Early on it's nice to save him if you can but well, yeah, he's traditionally left for dead in a ditch somewhere

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    If you don't bring a dead NPC back and you remove them from the party, they're gone forever. It doesn't muck with alignment or reputation, and the only (very) small thing you miss with Xzar being gone is
    a confrontation between him and Montaron versus Khalid and Jaheira that leads to an actual fight to the death.

As far as his utility goes, Xzar's not terrible. He's got good INT, terrible CON (like damn near every other NPC in the game), and his prohibited spell school sees rather limited use in BG1 (though it's a huge loss in BG2).

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    He's no Edwin though

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    And no Edwina either.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I haven't played this since release (so my memory is reallllly foggy), but I just picked it up through Beamdog. Any suggestions on starting class or multi-classing? I love exploring everything (opening every door and lock) so I was thinking a thief of some sort. Is it better to multi or dual?

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Oh, and if I want to import some new character portraits from packs put online, where do they go? I'm using the enhanced edition. I don't seem to see any folders for portraits.

• Options
    Esh wrote: »
    Oh, and if I want to import some new character portraits from packs put online, where do they go? I'm using the enhanced edition. I don't seem to see any folders for portraits.

Go to My Documents and then the BGEE folder. If there's not a Portraits folder (the capital P is important), make one. Dump 'em in there.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    What exactly is the gender-swap belt good for? Laughs? Used it once on someone and nobody said anything so do the characters even notice?

• Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    What exactly is the gender-swap belt good for? Laughs? Used it once on someone and nobody said anything so do the characters even notice?
    I think its a quest item, if you encounter it in Act 1. A Oger stole it from one guy @ Friendly Arm Inn. And it is cursed. Edit: oh, if it is cursed then it doesn't make sense. Well I found at least two belts from that Oger near the Friendly Arm Inn.

I also started a new game - BG1 Enhanced edition (iPad version). Who are the best persons to bring along my journey?

Currently the party consists of:
    Me - Fighter - Wizard slayer - Strg 18, Const 17 - 1h and Shield - Neutral Good - Tank and damage soaker
    Neera the Wild Mage (Enhanced edition downloadable content I think)
    Imonen
    Khalid
    Jaheira

All of them now carry at least a range weapon, to save potions and healing. Secondly, I reached Nashkel. Can I now dick around in other areas or are the characters still pressing on to investigate the mines? (Xzar and companion were worst in this regard, so i left them in Bergost)

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular

It's for lols. It's cursed so if you put it on without identifying it first you get screwed over.

And I did used to just equip stuff unidentified to find out what it did.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Never played these games before but I kind of want to. I'll probably get them from gog. Is now a good time, or should I wait a bit in hopes of a Christmas sale?

I know how these games tend to work and I read a little of some guides. I'd like to know a couple things:

- Is there a mod that lets me just get max HP all the time, because let's face it, I'm going to be saving and loading until I get max anyway. I hear this is in the second game, and maybe the engine merger takes care of this?

- Is there a mod that lets me pick whatever stats I want at character creation, because let's face it, I'm going to be rerolling until I get what I want anyway.

- Is there a mod that lets me customize characters when they first join up so they haven't been pre-gimped by the computer into bad weapon specializations with unoptimized HP?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Dratatoo wrote: »
    I think its a quest item, if you encounter it in Act 1. A Oger stole it from one guy @ Friendly Arm Inn. And it is cursed. Edit: oh, if it is cursed then it doesn't make sense. Well I found at least two belts from that Oger near the Friendly Arm Inn.

The cursed belt isn't used for anything. The other girdle that actually boosts an AC type is what the person at the Friendly Arm wants. It's there to teach you to not just blithely slap on any un-ID'd item you have.

Also as long as you get to Nashkel and talk to the mayor guy, Jaheira/Khalid and Xzar/Monty are satisfied. You can proceed to fuck off and do whatever else.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I don't know if there's a mod for the first one, but there is a command console cheat to do that. Also, spawn chickens everywhere to screw up the enemy pathfinding

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Never played these games before but I kind of want to. I'll probably get them from gog. Is now a good time, or should I wait a bit in hopes of a Christmas sale?

I know how these games tend to work and I read a little of some guides. I'd like to know a couple things:

- Is there a mod that lets me just get max HP all the time, because let's face it, I'm going to be saving and loading until I get max anyway. I hear this is in the second game, and maybe the engine merger takes care of this?
    Yes, the BG2 Tweak Pack gives you two options for that: max HP rolls, or "NWN style" HP rolls, which are still random, but err on the high side.

- Is there a mod that lets me pick whatever stats I want at character creation, because let's face it, I'm going to be rerolling until I get what I want anyway.
    You can do that with just the base game itself. Enable cheats and hit ctrl-8 at chargen and it'll set all stats to 18. Lower your stats to whatever you want. The typical highest stat point totals you'll usually get with legit rolls are about 89 or so.

- Is there a mod that lets me customize characters when they first join up so they haven't been pre-gimped by the computer into bad weapon specializations with unoptimized HP?
    The Level 1 NPCs mod lets you customize any and all NPCs in the game as long as you do it before you meet them as well as making it so they don't auto-level and you can choose their stuff as you get them.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    You can do that with just the base game itself. Enable cheats and hit ctrl-8 at chargen and it'll set all stats to 18. Lower your stats to whatever you want. The typical highest stat point totals you'll usually get with legit rolls are about 89 or so.

heh, I remember when I first got this game back in the day rolling for hours until I got like a 95 for my first character, a wizard. Then before the first ambush happens even, I attacked a guard to see what would happen...

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I've gotten 95s a fair amount, but I usually settle for 89 points or thereabouts.

I'm tempted to Level 1 NPCs some of the BG1 NPCs so that fully half of them don't have such abysmal CON. 11 of the 25 original NPCs get no CON bonuses at all, and none of the three BGEE NPCs do either.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Thanks for the reply, I'll look into that.

I think I want to play as unmodded as possible first, but I'd like to remove randomness from level-ups and I'll want bugfixes and widescreen.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    2nd edition's CON bonuses were so fucking dumb. I really wish we could get a new BG-esque D&D game using fucking modern rules. As much as I love BG(EE) and will enjoy revisiting BG2, 2nd edition just makes me want to murder people nowadays.

This discussion has been closed.