Options

[Baldur's Gate] BG3 from Larian is on its way!

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    I'm thinking of waiting a month or two anyway for mandatory post-release bugfix patch

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Amazing news.

Time to start a new countdown !

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I'm really glad I got back into EA Act I recently to learn, I'm really loving my current githyanki barbarian detective, but my next goal is to learn the magic system by rolling a mage before the new release date so probably going to stop the barb save and reroll (I also don't want to spoil too much ahead of time, I haven't beat Act I yet)

I'm thinking of going with githyanki barbarian detective for my first full release playthrough though just cause of how much I enjoyed it!

• Options
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    Amazing news.

Time to start a new countdown !

5 weeks today !

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Do we know if I start a new save now and play through Act 1, will I be able to pick up and play Act 2 with that save or no?

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Do we know if I start a new save now and play through Act 1, will I be able to pick up and play Act 2 with that save or no?

I would be incredibly shocked to discover EA saves working on the full release. Not impossible for sure, but probably not something they are going to recommend if you decide to not start over.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    SniperGuy wrote: »

From the past patches, no. It won't carry old save information over.
    I'd guess their going to rebalance itemization since my latest game is halfway through Act 1 and I've got a ton of magic gear that pretty much makes it a cakewalk at this point.
    But, magic gear still needed to be tested so it got into the Act 1 EA.

see317 on
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Great news today

Have they confirmed or denied multiclassing for launch?

Not into super hardcore multiclassing, but played a lore bard with a warlock dip in pen and paper, so interested if that will be possible before I commit to bard

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I went ahead and bought the game on gog. I will demo out Act I.

Yeah. It is annoying you can't just carry the save over to the full version. They should be pretty much done with Act I by now.

We got a little over a month to go.

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I went ahead and bought the game on gog. I will demo out Act I.

Yeah. It is annoying you can't just carry the save over to the full version. They should be pretty much done with Act I by now.

We got a little over a month to go.

5 weeks today.

It's really great news.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Edit: omg that's PC only I'm now dead inside.

I mean probably figuring the Playstationers won't have Starfield to bother then anyway, right? And as of now this game still isn't launching on xbox.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I mean probably figuring the Playstationers won't have Starfield to bother then anyway, right? And as of now this game still isn't launching on xbox.

I mean thats not a reason to hold it back.

Its just because that version is taking them longer. I just saw it's because they want it to be able to hit 60fps on console and they aren't there yet which makes me sad. Just gimme the 30FPS version and add in performance mode later haha.

Hoping that doesn't mean they are just putting out the 60fps mode and just that they are working hard on a performance mode.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Do we have a full companion list yet? I feel like we only know the folk around in Act 1.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular

Its just because that version is taking them longer. I just saw it's because they want it to be able to hit 60fps on console and they aren't there yet which makes me sad. Just gimme the 30FPS version and add in performance mode later haha.

Hoping that doesn't mean they are just putting out the 60fps mode and just that they are working hard on a performance mode.

Complete disagree. If they can do 60 FPS I want them to do so, instead of half-arsing the game like Redfall or similar. I didn't buy an expensive next gen console for poor performance.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

Complete disagree. If they can do 60 FPS I want them to do so, instead of half-arsing the game like Redfall or similar. I didn't buy an expensive next gen console for poor performance.

The coming slate of AAA games largely scream 30 FPS to me, but that's not super relevant to this case. BG3 devs already said its specifically the Series S that is holding them up, a console that has already skipped performance modes from the X in some games. Its likely not a normal framrate issue, but instead managing the reduced RAM in the S while doing splitscreen and not stuttering constantly. The X having same-console multiplayer while the S lacks breaks the kind of feature parity microsoft appears to be enforcing between the two consoles, and it seems Larian would rather not ship at all than ship a Series X version without couch co-op.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/3657534571513526776

We got necro monks, we got necromancy wizards, we got half orcs, WE GOT DRAGONBORN.

Lets goooooooo.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    what are the major differences between Wizards and Sorcerers? Is one better than the other for a new player trying to learn the magic system?

• Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

We got necro monks, we got necromancy wizards, we got half orcs, WE GOT DRAGONBORN.

Lets goooooooo.

Dear lord That update is basically promising us every cool feature they can think of isn't it?

More companions more spells more classes throw in some dragon born that's all cool

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Dragonborn looks perfect. I'm so happy. ;_;

Finally, I can create a barbarian with some actual beef on his bones that isn't a dwarf.

Half Orc looks like its going to be super skinny like the other humans though. Game really needs more body types.
    Zavian wrote: »
    what are the major differences between Wizards and Sorcerers? Is one better than the other for a new player trying to learn the magic system?
    Never played one in 5e but in Pathfinder, wizards can learn new spells from scrolls and have to prepare their selection at the start of the day.

Sorcs just get to run wild and use whatever they want as long as they know it. They know less spells per level than wizards though.

If its still prepared vs spontaneous in 5e, pick sorc. That way you won't have to think too hard about you're going to need that day and can just what you need on the fly when you need it. Much easier beginner mage.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    And since I've been reading The Cradle Series I really want to make a dragon born monk

GiantGeek2020 on
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Apparently a body type selector has been spotted in a screenshot.

....if I can be a fat dragon, this will immediately become my game of the year.

Effortlessly.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    good recap video:
    https://youtu.be/5CIxmXhlXe4

Lets goooooooo.

Dear lord That update is basically promising us every cool feature they can think of isn't it?

More companions more spells more classes throw in some dragon born that's all cool

and classes that aren't in the core handbook which is great because I love the Sword Bard.
    Man so much great stuff, and I hope you can re-spec your companions because re-playing this with the exact same character would kind of suck.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Happy to see Spore Druids in the release list. One of my favorite subclasses.

Still probably going to play a tiefling storm sorcerer first, though.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited June 2023

So… the system kind of got reversed from 3.5 to 5e. In 3.5 wizards were complicated casters and sorcerers were simple casters. In 4e wizards were controllers and sorcerers were strikers, neither more or less complicated but doing different things. Now* Wizards are “easier” and sorcerers are “harder” and wizards are more utility focused and sorcerers are blasters/strikers.

*5.5 not withstanding we are only up to the BG3 point.

The specific differences are

Wizards get access to more spell choices and can change their spells known each day. They can cast any spell they know with a slot they have available.

Sorcerers get access to metamagic but are have a hard limit to the number of spells they know and can only change spells when they level up. In exchange they get metamagic, which is very powerful if you know how to use it. Edit2: but can be weak if you do not.

Each has the exact same number of spell slots. Wizards can regen some once/short rest. Sorcerers can regen the with spell points (which are also used for metamagic and so outside of very early should not be used for this purpose)

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Alright, now that I got dragoborn and half orcs, I'm going to shift to spending the next six months angrily demanding goblins.

I will never be happy.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Holy shit. This is the greatest news I've heard (in gaming) in a long time. I legit thought there was a typo in the date (I did think it was odd that it was bolded for attention with such a glaring typo) and then they confirmed it was moving up for PC.

Like, I get it. Someone needed to blink and "do the right thing." I'm glad it was classy LARIAN honestly, because the blog post announcing the new release date is absurd with what is coming at launch (and describing what is there already). I am SO god damn glad I had the willpower to not touch this game meaningfully and haven't even launched the game in two years (I remember getting to the Druid camp and a cool castle encounter, but don't remember anything about the plot).

. . .now also might be time to retry my hand at BG2 with this so close to release (kind of a lull in gaming). But honestly, what total champs LARIAN are for saving a lot of people gaming grief this September (I'm sure I'll still be playing BG3, but I COULD conceivably finish the more narrative heavy game before the "You really didn't come here because you care who are what THE INSTITUTE is. . .you just want to kill supermutants while dressed as a 1960's Mom" guys release their game.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Aegeri wrote: »

The coming slate of AAA games largely scream 30 FPS to me, but that's not super relevant to this case. BG3 devs already said its specifically the Series S that is holding them up, a console that has already skipped performance modes from the X in some games. Its likely not a normal framrate issue, but instead managing the reduced RAM in the S while doing splitscreen and not stuttering constantly. The X having same-console multiplayer while the S lacks breaks the kind of feature parity microsoft appears to be enforcing between the two consoles, and it seems Larian would rather not ship at all than ship a Series X version without couch co-op.

This has nothing to do with the Xbox, the PS5 version was delayed by one week and that's due to needing to hit 60 FPS on console - which if they can do it I wholeheartedly support them doing so I'm perfectly fine with the delay. We don't even know when the Xbox version is supposed to arrive, if it ever will.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Dragonborn looks perfect. I'm so happy. ;_;

Finally, I can create a barbarian with some actual beef on his bones that isn't a dwarf.

Half Orc looks like its going to be super skinny like the other humans though. Game really needs more body types.
    Never played one in 5e but in Pathfinder, wizards can learn new spells from scrolls and have to prepare their selection at the start of the day.

Sorcs just get to run wild and use whatever they want as long as they know it. They know less spells per level than wizards though.

If its still prepared vs spontaneous in 5e, pick sorc. That way you won't have to think too hard about you're going to need that day and can just what you need on the fly when you need it. Much easier beginner mage.

Not quite in 5e

Wizards prepare spells and learn new spells both at level up and from obtaining written form spells (scrolls or spellbooks of other wizards that... Ahem.. don't need them anymore) and transcribing them into their own spellbook. A wizard can in theory be able to cast every spell in the game eventually, but they can only prepare a certain amount for a day.

Sorcerers only learn spells from leveling up but they also get a pool of metamagic points they can spend from to alter spells as they cast them. For example can make a spell not require verbal component so your can cast in silence, subtle so the target doesn't know you cast a spell at them, twinned which makes a single target spell cast into 2 targets, etc... They also don't prep spells daily, they know what they know.

Both are limited in quantity spells cast by spell slots.

Wizards spell hit and save DC is based on int. Sorcerer is based on cha.

Subclasses are flavored for wizard based on school of magic. Sorcerer are based on "what weird thing had sex with your ancestors such that you now have magic in your bloodline".

Hope that helps.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Sorcerers, and Warlocks, also use charisma (The best stat) for their spell modifiers while wizards use intelligence (Nerds).

• Options
    Warlocks learn spells only in levelups also and get way fewer spellslots but their spellslots come on short (1hr) rests rather than the long rests (8hr) that wizards/sorcerers require to get theirs back. The warlock spellslots are also always whatever they're maximum one is. A bit hard to explain. Essentially they are always upcasting to their highest spellslot and they only have their highest spellslots. Once they can carry 2nd level spells all there spellslots convert up to 2nd level, and so on.

Their subclass flavor is "which outwordly devil/demon/angel/greatfairy/Cthulhu did i make a deal with for all this magical power?".

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    As much as I want to roll a black dragon necromancer for edgelord points, my heart is telling me to go with red dragonborn barbarian meat head.

I want a massive castle with scales with like three int that picks up and throws anything he doesn't maul with his great axe.

• Options
    So, for origins, we have: a barbarian (Karlach), a fighter (Lae’zel), a rogue (Astarion), a warlock (Wyll), a cleric (Shadowheart), and a wizard (Gale).

There is, apparently, one more coming? Feels like we'll be getting a bard or a monk as the last one. Curious who though.

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Wait so the non-custom characters origins are just "play as one of the default NPCs?"

For some reason I didn't know that and thought it would have a custom character with custom background origins.

• Options
    Wait so the non-custom characters origins are just "play as one of the default NPCs?"

For some reason I didn't know that and thought it would have a custom character with custom background origins.
    You can play one of the Origin characters (Karlach, Lae’zel, Astarion, Wyll, Shadowheart, Gale, and one other), or create your own custom character.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »

You can play one of the Origin characters (Karlach, Lae’zel, Astarion, Wyll, Shadowheart, Gale, and one other), or create your own custom character.

Yeah but just like in Divinity, the custom character gets no story separate from main story while if you do an origin character you do.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I’m so annoyed that the series s thing is causing this not to come to Xbox at all. I wish they’d just done no multiplayer for either version if Microsoft required parity between the two. Like I get they don’t want to release a game without a feature, but if the solution is not to release the game at all on the platform it seems like a good way to please nobody

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Ordinarily I would play it pretty loose with romance and just keep hooking up with everybody until it backfires in this sort of game but no more.

Karlach is going to turn my barbarian into an honest man steady in his affections. Holy shit she looks cool.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Ordinarily I would play it pretty loose with romance and just keep hooking up with everybody until it backfires in this sort of game but no more.

Karlach is going to turn my barbarian into an honest man steady in his affections. Holy shit she looks cool.

z495kpwl1iru.jpg

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    I just started a new game.
    I like how you end up in hell. I assume that is Avernus.

• Options
    People crack me up complaining like this is not D&D. It is D&D.

This discussion has been closed.