As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Die, monster! You don't belong in this [Dungeon World]! [IC/OOC PbP]

• Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Lojainne, you've got about four wolves on you. You can either take their bites (multiple enemies deal only the highest damage die among them, for reference) or drop your defensive stance to outrun them.

Glazius on
  • Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Valor endures! I'll take them bites.

Edit: and halve the damage if I can?

Grog on
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    You can still spend hold. You're still the front line, after all. Deal with the Wolf pack bites: 4d6k1 = 6 damage as you see fit. (Apply armor before you spend hold.)

There isn't much room in the pass for the wolves to get around Lojainne, but they're certainly trying. Who's going to help hold the line, and who's going to spike or bar the door?

Glazius on
  • Options
    The paladin's shield lashes out in rebuttal, leaving them open to a counter-attack.

--
    Spend 1 hold to give an ally +1 forward to attack one of the wolves. Now at 22/25 hp.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    "I didn't pry you from the jaws of death to let you become dogfood, girl." Severik steps forward to help hold the line, lashing out with Bloodletter.
    Spoilered and left unnarrated if it's not Sev's turn to act.

Hack and slash at a wolf: 2d6+2 9
    Hack and slash at a wolf (damage): 1d10+1 6

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Severik, with the opening from Lojainne you cut one of the wolves in half. Just bam, out of nowhere. There's still that howl coming from the forest, but the wolves in the pass are looking less and less sure of themselves. You've bought yourself a little time, at least.

Glazius on
  • Options
    Severik did something dramatic, but the setup hasn't changed much. The wolves may have paused in their advance, but they still need to be held back until everyone gets through the door and it gets held shut, somehow. What's everyone doing?

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Its a question of getting someone strong enough to hold it closed.

Quarol will hurriedly snag the bar down the stairs.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    You're going to need someone to help you get the bar into position, Quarol. At least if you want to keep holding the torch. Volunteers?

• Options
    As Bloodletter takes a life, a new stain sinks into the axe's blade. "Astrafel, you OK back there? I think you've another stanza in the making." Severik swings his shield forward, Bloodletter ready to lash out at any so foolish as to charge.
    Hold back the wolves (Defend the pass): 2d6+1 12

• Options
    wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    Blennid stands ready to help with the bar and closing the door.

--

Is there enough room in the passageway for him to turn into a bear?

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Just so I understand, we're all inside, and Severik is holding back the wolves until we can close the door? No one is getting left outside, right?

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Yeah, everybody's free to head inside. Lojainne and Severik are keeping the wolves back until you can get the door bar into position.

Blennid, bears aren't particularly known for their manual dexterity, but if you want to use the bulk of a bear to bar the way until everybody can get the bar into place, or some door spikes, go ahead and transform.

If you pull that off I'll ask for one last Defy Danger from Lojainne and Severik to get through the door and not get wolved, and you'll be inside the cave in what, as far as you know, is safety.

Glazius on
  • Options
    wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    Blennid fades a bit, seeming to sink into the rock around him, before surging up, drawing on the mountain's energy, growing much larger than his usual size. His form quickly stabilizes into that of a bear, which lets out a rumbling growl, staying ready at the door.

--

Change your shape, 2d6+2: 9 - Hold 2

• Options
    "Look out, a bear!" Lojainne is momentarily confused when she breaks off to make for the door.
    -
    Defy Danger: 2d6+2 6 ruh roh.

• Options
    What's the deal with the Angel rule? How can I best help out Annie here? Should I Defend her, or is that already covered by my current move?

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Seeing the chaos near the door, Astrafel begins an old elven battle chant, used long ago in the Autumn War. The melodic syllables ring out and reach Lojainne's ears, giving her sudden clarity.

--
    I'll weave my performance into a spell to aid Lojainne: roll+Cha: 2d6+3 10
    edit: oops, typo. That should be a 9.

Denada on
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Astrafel, bardic music just improves the Aid move. I'm taking that as a regular Aid at +bond, which is enough to take Lojainne above failing.

Severik, just give me a Defy Danger and you're in the clear.

Lojainne, you've got to tear yourself away from the wolves and fit through a closing door in a bit of a hurry. Pick any one item (or one use for an item that comes in multiple uses) for the wolves to rip away from you.

The Angel Rule is a general catch-all. If someone needs to be bumped up a point, anyone can use the Aid move (roll +bond) after the fact to do it. If someone needs to be bumped up two points (if Lojainne had rolled a 5, for instance), Astrafel can make an Arcane Art attempt to empower someone else's Aid. If someone needs to be bumped up three points, well, tough. Aid moves don't stack with each other.

Glazius on
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    "The horns! It's the halfling! Bears don't have horns, you git - now, run!"

Using his shield to push back the wolves and give himself a momentary advantage, Severik turns and follows Lujainne towards the door.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Severik, same deal. One item, or one use of an item, for the wolves to rip away. And then you're inside, and Blennid holds the door shut while you bring the bar back into place.

There's some battering and clawing as the wolves attempt to get through the door, but it quickly dies down. Seems like they've given up.

The stair itself makes about two and a half slow revolutions around the wall of a massive cave. After the first turn you can see the floor below is rough and white. After the second turn you can see that it's... covered in bones.

Old, crumbling bones. None of them seem particularly animate at the moment.

A bit offset from the center of this massive cavern is a stone dais, with no bones on it. A closer examination might reveal more details. Among the many rough shadows on the wall is one that looks to be deeper and darker, a passage leading away to... somewhere.

What are you all doing? Everybody who wants their own torch is free to dip into adventuring gear for it. One use gets you a bundle of 6, each lasting one hour. (Or a lantern and a pint of oil, if you'd rather. Same 6 hours.)

Glazius on
  • Options
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I'll take the bite. Defend action doesn't apply, but does armor?

Well, if what you pick to lose is "a succulent portion of yourself", like another finger, or perhaps a toe, I could let you get away with Wolf bite: 1d6 = 4 damage through armor. Earlier offer still stands though.

Glazius on
  • Options
    A chance to make Severik even more maimed? I'll take it!

His bad knee buckled, sending Severik sprawling into the gravel. One of the damned wolves was on him in a flash, teeth going for the back of his neck, skittering off the leather gorget Severik wore for just such an occasion. He shook the beast off himself, pushing up with arms and legs, but the thing's teeth tangled in his hair. It jumped free, taking with it a souvenir: a sizable hank of hair and good portion of Severik's scalp.

Inside, the elf took a moment to address the injury. He lit a torch, and held his dagger over it until the blade glowed from the heat.

"Astrafel. Care to serve as barber as well as bard?" Severik offered him the dagger.
    Look updated: Wild Hair, long on one side, partially shorn on the other. Large, irregular bald spot covered in scar tissue.

HP 21/25

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Quarol shudders a bit at Severik's casual reaction to his injury, then turns to the stone dais.

He holds a hand up to the others as he looks around the room.
    Surveying a dangerous area (roll+dex): 2d6+2 7 spending my hold 1 to ask what else is hidden here?

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Quarol, you see something a little odd in the dais: four notches, roughly equidistant, in the rim, that look like they were carved there or perhaps broken off after the dais was constructed. That gets you looking for patterns in the bones that might denote some kind of whole-room trap.

Not that you spot one. But what you do spot is a modest disturbance in the fairly uniform carpet of bones; going over to it, you actually find a completely clear stretch of cave floor, and a wrought-iron ring, as thick as three fingers and big enough to put your hand through, with four smaller protrusions on it, covered with fairly intricate-looking metalwork. It doesn't look to be attached to anything, just discarded there, and time doesn't seem to have affected it at all.

Glazius on
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    "Hah!" Astrafel laughs, for the moment forgetting their macabre surroundings. "After what happened last time I'm surprised you would trust me near your hair again. But fear not! For I shape words, and also locks!" Astrafel takes the dagger and works quickly, letting his voice ring out through the chamber as he sings a song of healing. His barding is better than his barbering, but then there's a reason he's one and not the other.

--
    Okay, now I'll weave my performance into a spell. This time I'll do so to heal Severik. roll+Cha: 2d6+2 7 to heal: 1d8 7 damage.

Denada on
  • Options
    "Please be careful about what you touch in here. All these bones are giving me a bad feeling about this"

He will move towards the clear area for a closer look at the ring. First checking the floor around it, then using a dagger to see if its connected to anything below it.

• Options
    Astrafel, the acoustics in this cave are pretty good. ...a little too good. Your song echoes far more clearly than you probably mean it to, and from down the darkened passageway, after your song has died away, you hear a single, plaintive moan. But not much else.

Quarol, a cursory examination with your dagger reveals no obvious catches on the ring and nothing that will prevent you from picking it up.

• Options
    Lojainne stifles a curse when she finds her pack of rations almost torn in half, though after counting them she gives thanks that more weren't lost.

At the sound of the moan she takes up position at the passageway. Her eye, however, is on the iron ring Quarol is inspecting "Lumnos spare us these foul traps."

--

Will lose 1 use of my dungeon rations (4/5 left) and I'll ask "What here is evil?"

• Options
    Astrafel looks toward the passage and frowns. "Usually I like it when someone joins in, but that didn't sound like singing." He stands up and begins looking around the room, hand resting on his rapier. Something about this place sparked his memory...

--
    I'll use my elf move to ask for one fact from the history of this location. If I have to be specific, "Who built this place?"

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Lojainne, despite the giant piles of bones and the creepy moaning, nothing here is evil. You even take out your mark of Lumnos and its tiny bit of frozen moonlight to make sure. Something about that ring seems familiar, all the same. How are you at comparative religions?

Astrafel, you don't have to be specific. You remember one of your teachers - what was their name? - telling you about the real story behind that ballad, "The Stone Beneath The Stair": long in the past, before the memories of man but not the memories of elves, a brave hero and a forgotten religious order gave up everything combatting an army of undead. What they could destroy, they did; what they could not, they sealed.

Glazius on
  • Options
    Lojainne's theological teachings were mainly concerned with Evil cults (know thine enemy), and all the joyful praise of the other Good churches always seemed so... impractical. She may know a little of other Lawful religions through contact with others in the field, but nothing academic.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Well, I won't push Lojainne specifically, but anybody's free to try to Spout Lore about the ring or Discern Realities about the chamber.

Glazius on
  • Options
    sure. spout lore roll + int: 2d6+1 13

Quarol lets out a rather audible "hmmmmm"

• Options
    Okay, Quarol, you're going to have to tell me how you came to learn this, because I'm curious.

The iron ring is the holy symbol of an ancient and now-vanished celestial religion - Lumnos the moon god is the last member of its pantheon that is actively worshipped. Further, this particular symbol has been weaponized - through some sort of cunning artifice, probably dwarven, it contains lengths of fine chain that slide out whenever it's spun just so, turning it into a scourge.

• Options
    Quarol is quite the reader. More than once he's pulled a heist where the victim's library was missing a few books.

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    I'll have something up soon. sorry been having rl problems

let me get caught up

• Options
    Can we assume party knowledge? Like if you've given Quarol a bit of information like that do we assume he's gone ahead and told the rest of us without him having to explicitly say so?

• Options
    Yes, you can assume party knowledge. Basically somebody making one of these rolls is working it out for everybody, and only doesn't share if they say so.

• Options
    "Is that what killed these people?" The paladin adjusts her helmet in lieu of scratching her head. Riddles and puzzles were not her strong suit.

--
    Discern realities: 2d6 6