As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

3/19 Q&A with Gabe

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Any possibility of seeing some the concept art that you've done for the game or would that be too spoiler-rich?

Weaver on
  • Options
    MenaceMenace regular
    edited March 2007
    I can't really think of any villains in the PA universe. Will there even be a main villain featured in this game?

(Please say it is Jack Thompson.)

Menace on
  • Options
    GabrielGabriel Registered User, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff
    edited March 2007
    Zauriel wrote: »
    Will there be anything like unlockable minigames? I'd die for a Twisp and Catsby minigame, or even just some random PA interludes from other worlds. Although, that would probably kill the mood of the game. Also, will you guys be including cheat codes? No offense, but I really think those tend to ruin games, but of course that's your prerogative to include or not include them. Hrm, although a radioactive scorpion cheat wouldn't totally suck....

Finally, will we see other members of the PA staff? I've only caught glimpses of them from the ping-pong tourney and I have no idea who they are or what they do. Just wondering.

Oh right, one last thing, will there by any sort of online gameplay? Or maybe just trading high scores or characters?

No comment on the mini games.

not sure about the codes.

the rest of the staff here at PA isn't really a part of this continuity.

this is a single player game.

Gabriel on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    ooh, it's probably another you can't say for certain, but will Twisp and Catsby make a cameo appearance?

I hope so, I really like them.

Gabriel on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Weaver wrote: »
    Any possibility of seeing some the concept art that you've done for the game or would that be too spoiler-rich?

hmmm let me look through what I have here.

Gabriel on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Menace wrote: »
    I can't really think of any villains in the PA universe. Will there even be a main villain featured in this game?

yes there is a major villian and yes he has appeared in the comic and no it is not Jack.

Gabriel on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Which character is more useful in the game, Gabe or Tycho?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    NVanderEndeNVanderEnde Registered User new member
    edited March 2007
    It looks like the 3D graphics are at least partly inspired by games like Grim Fandango, which I think is fantastic.

I have two question. One, is the game driven by dialog? By which I mean, will the choices you make in interactions with characters in the game push the story foreward, possibly branch it out? Or, is it a more linear exploratory sort of game?

Secondly, what can you tell us about music in the game?

NVanderEnde on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    oh, if you do sell some kind of special edition on store shelves, a pair of stick-on sideburns would be a great inclusion.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    agoaj wrote: »
    Which character is more useful in the game, Gabe or Tycho?

HAHA, uh...Gabe!

Gabriel on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2007
    Gabriel wrote: »

yes there is a major villian and yes he has appeared in the comic and no it is not Jack.

Other than the FruitFucker?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What made you two decide to make a game (out of curiosity)? I have to say, that when I saw the 2d intro I haven't wanted a game so much in I don't know how long.

edit: and thanks for answering some questions =)

Xaquin on
  • Options
    SpaceGhostSpaceGhost Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If you had unlimited resources, is there anything missing or seemingly impossible from this game that you would like to incorporate or include?

SpaceGhost on
    AverageYeo.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    It looks like the 3D graphics are at least partly inspired by games like Grim Fandango, which I think is fantastic.

I have two question. One, is the game driven by dialog? By which I mean, will the choices you make in interactions with characters in the game push the story foreward, possibly branch it out? Or, is it a more linear exploratory sort of game?

Secondly, what can you tell us about music in the game?

It might be good to think about the story as a comic. We're telling a story and we're doing it with a lot of dialogue and you do get to interact with a lot of characters. This isn't KOTOR though, you will not be altering the outcome of the story based on your actions.

Gabriel on
  • Options
    StephenB.2006StephenB.2006 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Probably another unanswerable but will the game feature an inventory with equippable items? If so, do you suspect there will be some manner of weapon that resembles a thick paper cylinder, perhaps?

I'd also like to throw in a vote for Twisp & Catsby. But no Merch. The Merch does not deserve cameos.

StephenB.2006 on
    An object at rest cannot be stopped!
  • Options
    edited March 2007

yes

Gabriel on
  • Options
    KnastyKnasty Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Will there be any gamepad functionality? I've got an xbox 360 controller for XP and this game screams kick-back casual super fun-time.

Knasty on
    BAM
  • Options
    LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    How much pressure are you guys putting on yourselves with this project?
    Do you see this as a test of what you can do and try to keep your expectations low(in terms of sales and accessability of the finished product) or do you expect to create something truly awesome that will write video game history? ;)

Librarian on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

i hope they get referred to as 'those fruit-molesting bastards' at some point.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Xaquin44 wrote: »
    What made you two decide to make a game (out of curiosity)? I have to say, that when I saw the 2d intro I haven't wanted a game so much in I don't know how long.

edit: and thanks for answering some questions =)

The game is just another way for us to tell a story and in our opinion it makes more sense than an animated series. Our readers (you guys) are gamers. hopefully you'll enjoy participating in this story more than you would enjoy just watching it. Also we thought it would be fun.

Gabriel on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Knasty wrote: »
    Will there be any gamepad functionality? I've got an xbox 360 controller for XP and this game screams kick-back casual super fun-time.

I second this question (although I'm running off a PS2 controller and an adapter).

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    SpaceGhost wrote: »
    If you had unlimited resources, is there anything missing or seemingly impossible from this game that you would like to incorporate or include?

If I had unlimited rescources I would move to Hawaii and divide my time between reading star wars books on the beach and playing video games in my underwater castle.

Gabriel on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Probably another unanswerable but will the game feature an inventory with equippable items? If so, do you suspect there will be some manner of weapon that resembles a thick paper cylinder, perhaps?

I'd also like to throw in a vote for Twisp & Catsby. But no Merch. The Merch does not deserve cameos.

no comment sorry

Gabriel on
  • Options
    UlognepUlognep Registered User new member
    edited March 2007
    I've got a question surrounding Hothead's choice of game engine. Would Hothead be open to considering a different engine if it makes their lives easer? From what I understand, Torque was chosen as the engine. This is presumably because it supports both PC and Mac executables. However, there might be a better choice for cross-platform development. I mention this because Gabe stated that cel-shading had not been implemented yet, and the 3D work was very early.

This is a screenshot from one of my own projects which uses cel-shading:
    neko_celshading.jpg

I used a game engine called Unity, which makes deployment to both PC and Mac extremely easy. Adding the toonshading to my project was trivial as well. I simply had to select the toon shader from the shader library. Unity handled all the rendering for me, and even included built-in fallbacks for 3D cards that do not support cel-shading. Torque has minimal and crappy support for Mac development. It also has other deployment options, such as web players, and even the Nintendo Wii.

Simply from the perspective of easing development problems, I would recommend that Hothead at least investigate Unity. The Unity website is http://unity3d.com

You can also see the full version of my pictured project, the "Neko Factory" at http://www.nekofactory.com. It will require you to download the Unity plug-in, which is just like the Flash plug-in. Any other aspiring game developers out there may want to take a look as well!

Edit: I should also add that this was my first solo 3D project. I learned how to do the modeling, texturing, and scripting as I went. I did everything (including the music) in 3 months. I had some minor help with textures from an artist, but 99% of what you see was all created by me. So this should stand as evidence that a team of professionals should be able to get the most out of this tool

Ulognep on
  • Options
    DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Will guy be featured in any way?
    Please?

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    How accurate are the Lovecraft references? I mean, is it just Cthulhu or are you tossing in some Starspawn and Dagon/Deep Ones/Mother Hydra, or is a lot of it going to be "non-canon"? Not asking for names here, but just want a clue.

And I know I must have missed it somewhere, but... what platform(s) is this coming to? PC obviously, right?

Squashua on
  • Options
    Yue FairchildYue Fairchild The Ace of Hz Philadelpha, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hey Gabe. Thanks for taking our comments and for this game in general.

I have a MacBook, and most Mac versions of games don't work for me because of the graphics card being 64MB of shared VRAM. Can you give us any kind of word on system requirements?

Yue Fairchild on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Librarian wrote: »
    How much pressure are you guys putting on yourselves with this project?
    Do you see this as a test of what you can do and try to keep your expectations low(in terms of sales and accessability of the finished product) or do you expect to create something truly awesome that will write video game history? ;)

That's a good question. I will say that the production of this game is really pushing Tycho and I to the limits of what we're able to produce. I've been creating a ton of artwork and Tycho is writing pages every day. I am not going to say that we're making something that will go down in history. We're trying to make the best thing we can and we hope you like it. That's all we've ever done with any project, including the comic itself.

Gabriel on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm just rolling with everybody else's question but I wanted to say Thanks Gabe for doing this QA, it's pretty awesome so far :)

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    supermonkeycoolsupermonkeycool Registered User new member
    edited March 2007
    It looks really nice so far-

Do you have plans for any of the other PA universe to make appearances? I saw FF, but what about CTS, Annarchy, Div, Tails, Catsby&Twisp, etc.

Am I going to have to run this my stupid PC, or can I play on my MacBook Pro?

What's the target price range?

After having a baby, I've zero budget for games, but I'll make an exception for PA.

supermonkeycool on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

Clearly it's Guy.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    1. Is this series of Penny Arcade Adventures games all called the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness or is that the title of the first episode?

2. Will future PAA games explore some of the other universes that you and Tycho have created such as Sand or the John Woo-inspiried action serial that were featured in the comic collections?

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Squashua wrote: »
    How accurate are the Lovecraft references? I mean, is it just Cthulhu or are you tossing in some Starspawn and Dagon/Deep Ones/Mother Hydra, or is a lot of it going to be "non-canon"? Not asking for names here, but just want a clue.

And I know I must have missed it somewhere, but... what platform(s) is this coming to? PC obviously, right?

Well the Lovecraft references relate to the horror aspect of the game. Dark Gods, magic, devils from the deep. You may not see all these things in the first episode but they are a part of the story.

Gabriel on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    First off my hat's off to you sir for taking the time and energy to answer these questions from your fanbase.

Second off, a minor question. Will the player character have dialog or will he/she(I assume female is an option) be a silent protagonist ala Link and Crono?

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Hey Gabe. Thanks for taking our comments and for this game in general.

I have a MacBook, and most Mac versions of games don't work for me because of the graphics card being 64MB of shared VRAM. Can you give us any kind of word on system requirements?

Sorry I don't have that info yet.

Gabriel on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    I'm just rolling with everybody else's question but I wanted to say Thanks Gabe for doing this QA, it's pretty awesome so far :)

Not a problem, I am super happy to do it.

Gabriel on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What delivery method are you going for in respect of getting the game? I'd guess steam.

Multiplayer a big deal for this title?

Who's voicing the characters?

Meiz on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Will there ever be any guest characters in your party that you will have no control over ala Final Fantasy Tactics or similar?

Xaquin on
  • Options
    EpsilonEpsilon Registered User new member
    edited March 2007
    GarageGames will soon release Torque X, which is an interface for the XNA framework, to develop for Windows and the XBOX360 (via the Creator's Club). Any chance of a port in the future ?

Epsilon on
    I make indie games for Xbox360/iPhone, under the nickname Epsicode
  • Options
    OfficeBuddyOfficeBuddy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Any news on what the PC required spec will be?

Some of us have crappy machines, but still want to play this!

OfficeBuddy on
This discussion has been closed.