Options

Gas attack in Syria

SolarSolar Registered User regular
edited December 2012 in Social Entropy++
Here is the Al-Jazeera news article

Considerably less deployment that a lot of people thought might happen in a nightmare scenario, but still significant. And with the recent testing of SCUDs by the regime's military forces this could potentially escalte.

I think this is relevant because, well, beyond because its a potential WMD deployment, but also because there has been some talk from the West that if Assad does use gas attacks then their is a good chance of intervention. Could just be bluffs and saber rattling but if gas attacks continue would we see an intervention from NATO?

Anyway, just thought people might want to know

Solar on
«13

Posts

  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    oooh shit

  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    i was literally just watching this shit on al-jazeera because i can't sleep and clicking around the internet is my only recourse on nights like this

    i really need to go to bed everything in the world is just starting to feel bleaker and bleaker

    Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Oh jeez, if this is confirmed then NATO intervention has to happen. It will be difficult though, because apparently there are Russians currently working with Assad's forces.

  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Hell of a thing to do on Christmas Eve. :?

    Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204


  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Hell of a thing to do on Christmas Eve. :?

    Syria is about 90% Muslim

    but yeah i agree :c

    Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    RazalgrimRazalgrim Registered User regular
    That's just really fucking filthy.

  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    if someone makes a fart joke i swear to god i am going to start snapping necks

    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Currently watching the local news discuss how difficult it is to find parking at a nearby mall

    Meanwhile, in Syria

  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    It's only been reported by Al Jazeera so far, and it is worth noting there have been false gas attack claims by the rebels before.

  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Oh

    Shit

  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    God dammit

    peace on earth and good will towards all men*


    *except these evil motherfuckers

  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    If this is confirmed

    Christ

  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    well so far i can't find mention of it anywhere except al-jazeera

    no BBC, no AP, no CNN, nothin'

  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    please God no

    sig.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I feel like questioning the validity of this is going to put ya on the wrong side of history

    Al-Jazeera doesn't tend to fuck around

  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    fuck

  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I feel like questioning the validity of this is going to put ya on the wrong side of history

    Al-Jazeera doesn't tend to fuck around

    Thats why I thought it might be worth posting

    even though it hasn't been confirmed Al-Jazeera tends to be very good at this kind of thing

  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    I feel like questioning the validity of this is going to put ya on the wrong side of history

    Al-Jazeera doesn't tend to fuck around

    I'm leaning towards it's true

    But it sure would be nice if it wasn't

  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    i was literally just watching this shit on al-jazeera because i can't sleep and clicking around the internet is my only recourse on nights like this

    i really need to go to bed everything in the world is just starting to feel bleaker and bleaker

    I have been here and you should probably force yourself to go to bed. Reading the news late at night usually turns me into a basketcase.

    This news is really awful.

    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    Well things just got mighty shitty

    Chances that they did it today because the west could be slower to react over the Christmas period? If its all legit, then things are about to get a lot worse over there before they get any better

  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Well this way the West has to wait a couple of days to plausibly use the "over by Christmas" line

  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    ugggghhhhhh

    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    hot chocolate high velocity????

    no but really this sucks

  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Shiiiiiiiiiiiit no. No no no no no.

  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    any updates? BBC news is still not saying anything also my dad had a go at me for reading al Jazeera

  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Jesus. Why is russia making it hard for us to do what we do best as a country when its actually needed? Where was russia all the times we fucked with a country because money? But oh yeah, atrocities are happening and they block us.

  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Goddammit

    e: that's odd, the only way I can get to the article in the OP is through that link--searching for it via keywords on Aljazeera or google news gets either no hits or hits from months ago

    Usagi on
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Jesus. Why is russia making it hard for us to do what we do best as a country when its actually needed? Where was russia all the times we fucked with a country because money? But oh yeah, atrocities are happening and they block us.

    The US should not invade Syria.

  • Options
    B_RB_R Registered User regular
    Yeah, looks like Al Jazeera deleted that article from their Syria live blog.

  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    B_R wrote: »
    Yeah, looks like Al Jazeera deleted that article from their Syria live blog.

    Yeah, really hoping the reports of gas attacks turn out to not be true. Last thing the area needs.

  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Jesus. Why is russia making it hard for us to do what we do best as a country when its actually needed? Where was russia all the times we fucked with a country because money? But oh yeah, atrocities are happening and they block us.

    The US should not invade Syria.

    I agree. I'm just grumpy because russia and china are being giant dicks about this whole thing.

  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Jesus. Why is russia making it hard for us to do what we do best as a country when its actually needed? Where was russia all the times we fucked with a country because money? But oh yeah, atrocities are happening and they block us.

    The US should not invade Syria.

    I agree. I'm just grumpy because russia and china are being giant dicks about this whole thing.

    yes, well

    Russia and China...

    Fire Truck on
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Syria is someplace that, in a vacuum, the US *should* invade. Its one place where we could unquestionably apply a moral high ground for the universal good of people who seemingly want to be "free".

    In reality, the UN needs to write another strongly worded letter or something...

  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    I do not want to get into another argument where I am that guy

    but no, you are wrong.

  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    didn't providing air support to the Libyan rebels work out okay?

    at least better than doing nothing at all, or invading

  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    libya was good because stuff got done and also we did not basically whip out our dicks and show up the UN and operated mostly as a part of a coherent unit

  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Suicide SlydeSuicide Slyde Haunts your dreams of mountains sunk below the seaRegistered User regular
    Maybe I'm dumb, strong possibility here, but isn't the use of chemical weapons basically verboten? Wouldn't the UN, and the US being a part of that collective, be forced to act?

    I get not wanting the US to act alone but as part of NATO or the UN I'm all for ending atrocities.*

    Anyway, I really hope this doesn't turn out to be true because I don't want to live in that world.


    *Can't think of a better word than this at the moment.

  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Where was russia all the times we fucked with a country because money?

    Screaming protests and tacitly or not-so-tacitly threatening nuclear war, mostly

    same thing we've always done to them

  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Maybe I'm dumb, strong possibility here, but isn't the use of chemical weapons basically verboten? Wouldn't the UN, and the US being a part of that collective, be forced to act?

    Chemical Weapons were used extensively in the 1980s Iran-Iraq War and nobody intervened. (except for some U.S. Naval actions to keep the Strait open)

    and, you know, Saddam gassing the Kurds - which was a factor in justifying Gulf 1, but the U.N. and NATO only intervened after Iraq invaded Kuwait
    Pony wrote: »
    didn't providing air support to the Libyan rebels work out okay?

    at least better than doing nothing at all, or invading

    Two potential problems compared to Libya:

    1. Even now, I'm pretty sure the Syrian Air Force is still more formidable than Libya's ever was, as are their ground-based air defenses. Gaddafi's military couldn't handle Chad, while Syria's spent half a century gearing up to fight the IDF (in vain, mostly, but still). It's not enough to stop a concerted air campaign by Israel, let alone NATO, but enough to complicate it.

    2. Assad might react to Western intervention by kicking around WMDs all over the place. NATO is more than capable of handling NBC warfare, but the rebels and civilians aren't. If the Turks or Israelis were to involve themselves directly, Syria might also target bordering population centers in an attempt to deter them.

    Dongs Galore on
Sign In or Register to comment.