As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dead Space 3] - EA shuts down Visceral Games... Add another EA victim to the list.

SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne.Registered User regular
edited October 2017 in Games and Technology
deadspacelimitededition_barrettbiggers1.jpg

Dead Space is a horror franchise created by the good folks at EA and Visceral Games. So far, there have been five games released in the series: Dead Space for the 360/PS3/PC (released October 2008), Dead Space: Extraction for the Wii (released late September 2009), the download-only Dead Space: Ignition, released on XBLA and PSN (also as a preorder bonus for DS2), Dead Space for the iPhone / iPod touch, and finally Dead Space 2 for 360/PS3/PC (both released January 2011). Beyond the games, other works in the franchise include: the animated films, Dead Space: Downfall and Dead Space: Aftermath; the novel detailing humanity's first interaction with a Marker, Dead Space: Martyr; and the graphic novel depicting the final fate of the Ishimura after Isaacs's escape, Dead Space: Salvage.

dead-space-logo.jpg

Dead Space 3 is currently in development by Visceral Games and will be published by Electronic Arts on February 5, 2013 in the United States and February 8 (some places have it listed as the 7th, Denmark for example), 2013 in Europe and will be available for PC, Playstation 3 and Xbox360.

142px-DS3-PC_cover.jpg174px-DS3-PS3_cover.jpg141px-DS3-XBOX_cover.jpg

Dead Space 3

Dead Space 3 takes place after the events of Dead Space 2 and is set primarily on the cold, snowy Tau Volantis, with a significant portion focused over the planet's atmosphere.

The game continues Isaac's struggle to end the Necromorph infestation.

In Dead Space 3, Isaac and newcomer Sgt. John Carver can roll and take cover to avoid attacks. This new ability was described by a Visceral Games developer as essential, as it "felt dumb/terrible not to have it" and that they have been "making Isaac more responsive," as they "want the horror to come from the terrible things that happen in the game; not from the horror that something is moving slowly towards you and you can't shoot it because the game controls like a piece of crap. The cover system is also described as "organic" in nature; for example, the player does not need to "walk up to certain tagged things and press the cover button; Isaac or Carver just does the action that is appropriate for the given situation."

altmanlives.jpg

Early Demo Access

A playable demo will be released on January 22, 2013 on on Xbox Live and the PlayStation Network. Xbox 360 owners who sign up on the official Dead Space website (Origin account required) will be able to access the demo one week early.

Get it here - https://demo.deadspace.com/

Weapons Bench

The Bench weapon upgrade system from Dead Space and Dead Space 2 has been redesigned as a new upgrading system called the Weapons Bench. Here, players are able to construct new weapons from parts that Isaac collects throughout the game. The Bench provides two main frames to start with—a light one-hand frame and a heavy two-hand frame—and players can build new weapons and even put two weapons together (for example, a Plasma Cutter and a Flamethrower). The number of weapon variations are endless; examples of weapon functions include an electric rivet gun and an incendiary buzzsaw launcher. If a player doesn't want to build a weapon from scratch, they can instead choose from ready-made Blueprints, some including classic Dead Space and Dead Space 2 weapons. Built weapons can also be shared in Co-op mode.

Create your very own weapon here deadspace.com/weapons

Drop-In/Drop-Out Co-op

Dead Space 3 has a drop-in/drop-out co-op mode for its campaign, which was announced at EA's E3 2012 press conference, stating that it will unlock "additional story details and gameplay mechanics only found when playing as the co-op character, EarthGov Sergeant John Carver." In a recent DS3 co-op demo, each player will have alternate experiences as a result of their characters' dementia. For example, the player controlling John Carver will find toy soldiers in a biology facility, while the player controlling Isaac will not see them. Co-op also puts the players in separated situations: for example, when Carver tries to open a door, he suddenly becomes trapped in his own mind (echoing a similar situation in Dead Space 2), forcing Isaac to protect him from a sudden surge of Necromorphs until Carver can free himself.

Limited Edition Information

The Limited Edition will come with two bonus suits (Witness and First Contact) and weapons (Evangelizer and Negotiator) for protagonist Isaac, which can be downloaded and used on the release date.

Also if you own Mass Effect 3, you'll get your very own Mass Effect N7 Suit in Dead Space 3! (Or rather, have a Mass Effect 3 save file)

dead-space-3-N7-suit.jpg

If you have a Dead Space 2 save file, you'll get the Planet Cracker Plasma Cutter

PC_PLASMA.jpg

Screenshots
640px-DS3_ResearchFacility_07.jpg640px-DS3_Horror_0.jpg640px-DS3_screenshot_co-op.jpg640px-DS3_screenshot_02.jpg640px-WatchYourBack.jpg640px-DS3_screenshot_01.jpg

Videos

Old Thread - http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/136841/dead-space-2-still-creepy/p1

1168712738_2pmNu-L.jpg

i-82HpGWR-950x10000.jpg

deadspace3_coop.jpg

Do you want to play Co-op but cant find a bad enough dude/dudette to play with? Penny Arcade is here for you! Just message me with your platform of choice and I'll add you to the list here, you could also mention what your usual playtimes are.

Playstation 3 players.
thesuboptimalguy

XBOX360 players - Send a friend request to the XBOX Live Metatag "DeadSpaceCoop"
Preacher - PST 6pm to 10pm pst m,t,t,f (not a jew)
Skull2185 - normal gaming time for me is Mon-Thu after 7:30 pm est to ~ 11 or 12 - Friday after 7:30 pm to whenever. Saturday anytime and Sunday anytime until 11pm or midnight. (possible jew)
Moridin889 - any night after 11 central or anytime weekends (jew like tendencies)
JohnnyChopsocky - My usual gaming hours are Noon-5pm CST on Sat-Wed and Noon-late pm CST on Thurs and Fri.
Aegeri - From Australia, eats Slashers from the barbie
anorak attack - 9 pm ET or later mon through friday--- basically, whenever the offspring is safely tucked in bed.
Jakorian
T3NT0NH4MM3R - Plays whenever (totally a jew)
Sirialis - No known jew affiliations.

PC players.
genesiusprime
Duchess_Archer
curlyhairedboy
Span_Wolf
Meluist
Vikings_Fury
Hugsaw
milath 6p-2a EST
PCHorror
Jager26 Typically going to be available from 7pm EST onward.

Dead-Space-3-Awakened-1.jpg

Sirialis on

• ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    "want the horror to come from the terrible things that happen in the game; not from the horror that something is moving slowly towards you and you can't shoot it because the game controls like a piece of crap"

I understand their thoughts on this subject, but at the same time, Isaac was an engineer in a clunky space suit. It made sense that he wasn't running and rolling around

JKKaAGp.png
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, it made perfect sense in the first Dead Space where he also seemed to have a bit of a beer gut, I vastly prefer the Dead Space 2 controls though.

I messed around with the weapon creator thing, made this weapon that sounds pretty badass.

Chain Lightning Gun with a Rocket Launcher alternate fire, with acid ammo and ammo sweeper (collects nearby ammo)

deadspace3schematic2.png

I really love the Force Gun so this will probably be my mainstay weapon on the harder difficulties (Hard to the Core, I'm looking at you!)
    I will of course experiment with various combinations and see how they compare later.

Force Gun with electric ammo and ammo sweeper (collects nearby ammo)

deadspace3schematic.png

Sirialis on
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    I am going to take a lightning gun and attach a flamethrower to it.

I will name it "civilization".

Also I do not expect this game to be scary at all (though I'd love to be proven wrong), but I am over it. STOMP. Five bucks!

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Even DS1 wasn't very scary since you still had enough hardware to take down a small planet. It was tense, in the same way as RE4 is, but not really 'scary'. Of course, that doesn't matter all that much cause it's a ton of fun.

• curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    woo new thread? new thread!

cannot wait to trick out a new javelin gun.

also, regarding the scary bits. hardcore. that'll make things scary.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Tense is a kind of scary though (or I should say 'can be', lots of good war movies have tense moments that aren't really scary). There were parts in 1, and a couple in 2 even, where I moved a few steps then did a visual sweep, then moved a few more before scanning again. Then I'd have one of those fuckers with the stinger tail jump from some corner of the ceiling down on me anyways. Great arsenal or not those things could kill you quick if you couldn't get a bead on them as they started thrashing around.

I think my strategy in both games was to haul around the rifle and a truckload of ammo for it, just firing a shot or two down the corridor into things/corpses so as not to be suprised by hiding enemies. And when they did show up, spray n' pray. In two it was actually a great strategy, because you could get some SERIOUS damage output out of the rifle (now with grenades!). No, it wasn't the speargun, but then I didn't have to aim half the time either, it cut off necrolimbs just swinging it around.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I have to say I honestly dreaded the first 10 minutes on the Ishimura in DS2.

And I don't even think anything happened.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Can't wait for this game as it sounds so good. Even looking forward to the coop, which I normally dread as something that routinely destroys horror games tension (eg Resident Evil). Their implementation of making the game change depending on if you are alone or playing with someone is an interesting idea. Keen to see how that works out.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

P T Fuckin' S D

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    I want to be excited for this, I really do, but since Resident Evil 6 my default position towards any established horror franchise is that they are shit until proven otherwise.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Is it bad I'm looking at two copies so I can buddy up with a friend? I so want to go PC for this one too but alas it'll have to be PS3.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Is it bad I'm looking at two copies so I can buddy up with a friend? I so want to go PC for this one too but alas it'll have to be PS3.

If he doesn't buy it himself I was actually going to get it for my brother so we could play together.

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Can I make the Contact Beam with that weapon builder? Because that is the only gun.

forumsig.png
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I want to be excited for this, I really do, but since Resident Evil 6 my default position towards any established horror franchise is that they are shit until proven otherwise.

RE6 sucked because Capcom continues to have no idea why RE4 was so well liked. DS3 (as well as DS2) seems to key in on the enjoyable aspects of the previous game(s) and go from there. I think it'll be pretty decent.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Weapon customization is easily my most anticipated feature. I'm gonna make all sorts o' guns.

Makin' all of the guns.

edited January 2013
    darleysam wrote: »
    Can I make the Contact Beam with that weapon builder? Because that is the only gun.

Sure you can, I took the liberty of making it, so you can see which parts it consists off. (I'm pretty sure I read that Dead Space 3 has Blueprints ingame for the weapons from Dead Space 1 and 2)

ds3a.png

Also, its seemingly possible to make a double barrelled Contact Beam (you cant use the alternate fire then, though)

Sirialis on
    edited January 2013
    This is a gameplay video showing the first 15 minutes of the game, although they seem to hide some of the things happening in the beginning, just like they did with the Dead Space 2 early footage.

Achievement list, Story related achievements are shown as hidden/secret on the list, so no real spoilers for now.

xbox360achievements.org/game/dead-space-3/achievements/

There are more difficulty achievements this time around.

mrf.png

Hardcore makes a return, I'll both look forward to it and dread doing it.

Epic Tier 4 Engineer is probably for beating it on the highest difficulty, like Epic Tier 3 Engineer was in Dead Space 1

I still dont know what Pure Survival difficulty is, my guess is that you might not find anything else than little money and will have to craft/buy everything?

Sirialis on
    Sirialis wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »

Sure you can, I took the liberty of making it, so you can see which parts it consists off. (I'm pretty sure I read that Dead Space 3 has Blueprints ingame for the weapons from Dead Space 1 and 2)

ds3a.png

Also, its seemingly possible to make a double barrelled Contact Beam (you cant use the alternate fire then, though)

I now need to dick around with this and see if I can't come up with something even better than the Beam. Because it is the greatest gun.

forumsig.png
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Nope, absolutely nothing happened. That was what made it so great.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • DredZedDredZed Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Nope, absolutely nothing happened. That was what made it so great.

I think that's actually my favorite part of either game. Just so damn tense going through there, remembering each terrible thing that had happened to me before there, waiting for something to jump out at me... and nothing does for quite a while into it.

Just perfect buildup of tension there.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    and then the tram hallway with the cake
    and a brute inside that cake

RxI0N.png
    edited January 2013
    Steve Papoutsis on Dead Space 3's Kinect option.

"You dont need to fumble with the controls" ... I more or less stopped listening when I heard that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UnnhCBWegWY#!

Seems that most, if not all of these spoken commands can be replaced with a single button press.

Also Gunner Wright (Isaac's VA) talks about Dead Space 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9TwTvss-DU

No doubt that Isaac's appearance is based on him too.

Sirialis on
    glad i'm getting the PC version. i actually have extra keys that i can use for all that stuff.

plus, in co-op, i might want to actually talk to my partner directly!

RxI0N.png
    edited January 2013
    I've started playing Dead Space 2 again on a new profile since I got all the achievements already (Yes, I love the "clink" sound you get when you unlock an achievement)
    Just got to the School, that place just oozes athmosphere, the childrens drawings and all the stuff in there is just top notch, everything died to my Force Gun though.

Seems there are some new Dead Space books coming out soon.

2745749.jpg.size-285_maxheight-285_square-true.jpg41VkEkaJUWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg1781165513.jpg

Anyone here read Dead Space Martyr and Catalyst? Are they worth it?

ItemImage.aspx?ItemID=17941861&Width=180&Style=shadow

Wouldnt mind reading this artbook here. (The Art of Dead Space)

Sirialis on
    Dead Space: Salvage actually came out before DS2. I just read it for the first time myself, it was pretty good, but a bit short.

Martyr and Catalyst are both really good. Martyr deals with the true story of Michael Altman and the discovery of the black marker. It's a little clumsy in places, but an interesting story. Catalyst I actually prefer, but it's a bit odd, in that the actual traditional Dead Space elements, like the markers and necromorphs, don't actually show up until well into the book.

If you're really into Dead Space and interested in experiencing more stories set in that universe, you'd most likely enjoy both novels, and probably Salvage as well.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    So I assume this is going to be origin only on the pc.

Anyone heard anything to the contrary?

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    No doubt that Isaac's appearance is based on him too.
    [/quote]

It was done on purpose for DS2.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited January 2013

I am so pissed about EA waiting until the last entry in their trilogies before switching them to Origin. My OCD demands that I own all three games for a single platform (Steam)!

Drunk_caterpillar on
    edited January 2013
    I saw some pictures of a few cosplayers doing Ellie and Isaac from Dead Space on Destructiod, looks pretty nice, I for one wouldnt mind having a RIG like the one on the pictures.

http://www.destructoid.com/dead-space-cosplay-brings-isaac-and-ellie-to-life-242100.phtml

http://tarrer.deviantart.com/

http://madeinheaven1979.deviantart.com/

isaac_is_back__by_tarrer-d50kmpi.jpg

isaac_by_tarrer-d51qg5s.jpg

rig_details_by_tarrer-d51ku1p.jpg

cut_off_their_limbs_by_easychevreuille_by_tarrer-d51vzzm.jpg

ellie_langford_by_madeinheaven1979-d5k9dsk.jpg

Sirialis on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    i only mildly wanted that until i read the med kit is a water bottle.

fuck that's awesome.

I really, really want that, but just don't have 100 bucks to spare right now. Can barely scrape up enough to cover the game itself. Damn.

So tempted to just add that onto my growing pile of credit card debt, but I think the wife would kill me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I saw some pictures of a few cosplayers doing Ellie and Isaac from Dead Space on Destructiod, looks pretty nice, I for one wouldnt mind having a RIG like the one on the pictures.

http://www.destructoid.com/dead-space-cosplay-brings-isaac-and-ellie-to-life-242100.phtml

http://tarrer.deviantart.com/

http://madeinheaven1979.deviantart.com/

isaac_is_back__by_tarrer-d50kmpi.jpg

Damn I thought that first image was a screenshot.

I am so pissed about EA waiting until the last entry in their trilogies before switching them to Origin. My OCD demands that I own all three games for a single platform (Steam)!

Well I know you can import Dead Space 2 to Origin from Steam, maybe you can do the same the first?

I just like Steam better, Origin really doesn't add anything the experience, but at least it doesn't seem actively bad like GFWL.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    i only mildly wanted that until i read the med kit is a water bottle.

fuck that's awesome.

I was thinking "well that's the kind of thing I'd love to have, but we're trying to save money and not fill up our place with more stuff, so Becky won't agree to it." Sent her a text about it, and all of 3 minutes later received a very stern command to buy it and not wait around, in case they sell out. So, there we go.

forumsig.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Wasn't too interested in the limited edition, did see the new figure they have of Issac coming in june of this year, going to preorder that sumbitch.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    So there's an early access demo for this on the 360 right now. Any news on when us non-early access dudes get a shot, because I'm curious about the co-op.

Edit: nevermind, found it: Jan 22

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    So who all is going into the early access? I received an email telling me I'm .. in it.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I registered on the Dead Space site, so maybe I will, maybe I won't.

I'll definitely be down for buddy-buddy necromorph slaughter whenever I wind up getting it.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Ok this weapon creation room is pretty goddamn rad.

*edit* All I did was switch the rotation device on the default plasma cutter and now I have a handheld flamethrower. I also made a weapon that fires rivets that detonate on secondary fire.

This is all kinds of cool.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
    edited January 2013
    I signed up for the early access long ago, but havent received anything.

Pretty damn obnoxious to ask people to fill out their shit to get a demo a week early, instead of just handing it out to everyone a week early? (and not even deliver on that so far?) if you ask me, but with Dead Space 3 I made an exception.

EDIT: And just as I typed that I got an email with my Dead Space 3 demo code, speaking of the devil huh.

Sirialis on
This discussion has been closed.