As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dead Space 3] - EA shuts down Visceral Games... Add another EA victim to the list.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    So now we know the protagonist for DS 4!
    I wouldn't get your hopes up for DS4.
    EA have said that they won't be making more unless DS3 gets 5 million sales.
    Considering DS2 got less then 3 million, I think we're looking a the last game here...

What is with companies in the past year making completely unrealistic goals for games?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    the measure of success is clearly based upon the most successful games

if you can't beat call of duty, how can you justify your existence, etc.

there is no middle ground anymore :\

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Considering DS2 got less then 3 million, I think we're looking a the last game here...

What is with companies in the past year making completely unrealistic goals for games?

Call of Duty sells tons.

Therefore, every game needs to sell tons in order to be considered successful. Also, publishers are a bunch of dumbs. Is DS3 going to have competitive MP like DS2? Or did EA pull a Volition and realize no one played it, so they just focused on co op?

Edit: Also AR + Line Gun is excellent. Sweep the legs with the line gun, and then pop the head with the AR. Two shots, dead necro.

Also also, the part with the drill was awesome.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I too would like to know if there's a competitive mode. Because I hope they removed it.

• Options
    DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    I liked DS2's MP :( I would like it to catch on.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    i will make a javelin gun combined with a ripper

it will be the only gun i need, ever

Welcome brother of the Church of the Holy Ripper.

I have been apostate for many years, but I have returned and confessed my sin of convorting with the Order of the Force Gun.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular

This alone is enough reason to justify my hatred of COD.

Fortunately I have plenty more reasons.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

What's weird is that the original DS wasn't that big of a seller, and then EA took a chance and DS2 was a major hit, and now they are setting unrealistic goals. Thanks EA.

Oh well if the DS team was smart they finished Clarke's arc (ha) in this one and so if there isn't another DS we aren't on the hook waiting for it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

Well... it's probably that way because the costs to develop, market, etc AAA titles are of a similar range? Not saying that it's okay... just that's how it is.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Hmm...I didn't think about the possibility that they could kill off Issac in this one.

Or if not kill him off they could do a Resident Evil thing where they switch off protagionists.

• Options
    Honestly, it was getting kind of hard for me to see how Isaac wouldn't end up dead. And since his journey is a huge part of Dead Space to me, I would be happy to stop at 3 regardless (provided they do indeed finish his story).

• Options
    Ceno wrote: »

Your hatred is probably misplaced. You probably want to be mad at Activision. The CoD games themselves are actually pretty decent, for the most part, despite the yearly mandate.

Anyway, Playing the demo last night single player, I'm not sure if it was just odd transitions for the demo or what, but I feel like I might be onto something with my "Carver isn't real" theory*.

*More of a guess, really. That would be so cool though if you get to the end of the game in co op, and it turns out Carver wasn't with you at all.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Your hatred is probably misplaced. You probably want to be mad at Activision. The CoD games themselves are actually pretty decent, for the most part, despite the yearly mandate.

Anyway, Playing the demo last night single player, I'm not sure if it was just odd transitions for the demo or what, but I feel like I might be onto something with my "Carver isn't real" theory*.

*More of a guess, really. That would be so cool though if you get to the end of the game in co op, and it turns out Carver wasn't with you at all.

It'd be like the end of Halo 1 when you play with another player. :P

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    guys DS2's multiplayer was FANTASTIC and i was sorry to see it go in DS3 :(

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    My brother actually played DS2's MP a lot. Never touched it myself but it looked decent.

• Options
    Finished DS1 last night, on to DS2 again, and I'm once again reminded how much smoother combat and controling is in DS2. Issac is just more responsive and TK is way more useful and faster to use.

Also while DS was not an ugly game, but DS2 just has a lot more subtle details that make it gorgeous when you aren't being chased by shit spewing acid on you.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular

I never played it but it sounded similar to Natural Selection 2, minus the commander and the base building but with added objectives instead.

Unless they screwed up the balance/matchmaking or something else that sounds like huge fun!

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options

I never played it but it sounded similar to Natural Selection 2, minus the commander and the base building but with added objectives instead.

Unless they screwed up the balance/matchmaking or something else that sounds like huge fun!

the balance was great, and it encouraged teamwork like nothing else. 'OH MY GOD HE'S ON THE BUTTON SOMEONE GRAB HIM FOR FUCK'S SAKE AAAAAAAAAAAAAA'

setting up ambushes with lurkers, spitter sniping, trolling the other team by rolling all puker all the time....i always wanted it to catch on in the PA community.

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Everyone, I am going to say something very useful that will improve your posting in this thread.
    His name is Isaac.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Oh god I read the PA report about the DS3 micro's and the comments under it. WHY DO I DO THIS TO MYSELF?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    If Youtube has taught me anything, its never read the comments for anything ever.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    If Youtube has taught me anything, its never read the comments for anything ever.

Imagine some sort of Anime/DBZ type yelling/powerup sequence. Then when I click the agree button, a beam of energy plows through the planet and into space for forever.

That's how hard I just clicked "agree".

People always make the biggest deal out of the optional premium stuff in games, that wont have any effect on your experience if you choose to ignore it, and I don't know why... Other than they are dumb people, I guess.

• Options
    I can't help it sometimes on articles you want to see what people are saying. Unfortunately I don't think I've ever read the comments on a pa report article that were worth reading. They also display weird, like in reverse order and that fucks with me.

Personally the micro transaction hullaballoo seems silly as shit, then again I spent money in SW:ToR just to get silly pets, I spend money on vidja games dumbly.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular

This alone is enough reason to justify my hatred of EA.
    Ftfy. That "5 gazillions" ultimatum is just icing on the company policy turd.
    Dalantia wrote: »
    I liked DS2's MP :( I would like it to catch on.
    Same as most here: Played it very little, for like half an hour, but my impression was quite good and I had a good time. Never put down more time because I was the only one with DS2 of my friends.
    Finished DS1 last night, on to DS2 again, and I'm once again reminded how much smoother combat and controling is in DS2. Issac is just more responsive and TK is way more useful and faster to use.
    Indeed they are. Although the atmosphere and story took a sore beating DS2 was quite the polished action game compared to DS1.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »

If I ever end up with a medical condition that results in dangerously low blood pressure, I'll just make Youtube my home page.

• Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    Arrgh, why is the fifth so far away! :(

Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I can't help it sometimes on articles you want to see what people are saying. Unfortunately I don't think I've ever read the comments on a pa report article that were worth reading. They also display weird, like in reverse order and that fucks with me.

Personally the micro transaction hullaballoo seems silly as shit, then again I spent money in SW:ToR just to get silly pets, I spend money on vidja games dumbly.

Bleh, I kind of fell off reading PA Report... even forgot about it! :O

I know in the past I avoided the comments there because it's tied into your full on forum account. Makes me paranoid. idk.

Not losing too much sleep over the micros myself. Scarcity is a valid part of the genre. Artificially removing said scarcity by putting money into it kind of takes away from that (like he pointed out) but I can't say that I want to spend several hours farming to get a rare mineral or whatever to make a weapon because most crafting systems do that kind of stuff anyway and even games without micros for mats do this. I still don't know if it's random drops or not... are the drops random?

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Indeed they are. Although the atmosphere and story took a sore beating DS2 was quite the polished action game compared to DS1.

Nah, son. Nah.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah I felt the opposite atmosphere and story were a lot more enjoyable in 2 than 1, especially since Isaac was more of a character and interacted with the actors instead of just Gordon Freemaning it. Plus you had more world building in 2 even if it wasn't obvious they were doing it.

Like there is an ad early on in the hosptial section that mentions proudly earth gov will keep titan station stocked up, what kind of fucked up future is Dead Space that that warrants an ad?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Yeah I felt the opposite atmosphere and story were a lot more enjoyable in 2 than 1, especially since Isaac was more of a character and interacted with the actors instead of just Gordon Freemaning it. Plus you had more world building in 2 even if it wasn't obvious they were doing it.

Like there is an ad early on in the hosptial section that mentions proudly earth gov will keep titan station stocked up, what kind of fucked up future is Dead Space that that warrants an ad?

You ask what kind of fucked up future is Dead Space? The answer is completely and totally fucked, without even taking into account necromorphs.

They aren't cracking planets for fun. They're cracking planets because Earth's resources are completely depleted and they're desperately trying to not all die off.

Dead Space: Martyr (I bring it up a lot, don't I) goes into how bad things were before the shock point drive was invented.

• Options
    Go through the school section and tell me the atmosphere took a beating.

Or the
    fucking Ishimura

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    I thought 2 was much better in atmosphere and story, I just want more and more Unitology stuff. It's so fucking creepy.

That church level in 2... only one other area was as remotely terrifying.

• Options

Or the
    fucking Ishimura

I agree that the school was incredibly creepy.

But I wouldn't count your spoilered portion as a positive for Dead Space 2. If anything
    it's terrifying because Dead Space 1 was terrifying.

• Options
    Today's PA strip gave me a right good chuckle, it did.

Once the dudes turn necro, they attack other previously friendly dudes, don't they?

• Options
    gjaustin wrote: »

Or the
    fucking Ishimura

I agree that the school was incredibly creepy.

But I wouldn't count your spoilered portion as a positive for Dead Space 2. If anything
    it's terrifying because Dead Space 1 was terrifying.

Yes and No.

The Ishimura is freaking in 2 because of how they are cleaning it up, and how you just know something is wrong with the fucking ship, but all the atmosphere in 2 on the ishimura is because of how they've changed the ship, rarely do any of the scares rely on DS1 to be scary. I mean in DS 1 there wren't like weird ghost like effects on the ship and freaky glow paint white sections.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I'm playing through dead space 1 on easy to stock up on ammo and upgrades for an epic engineer tier 3 play-through. I have stocked up more than 1400 rounds of plasma cutter ammo. That should be enough, right?

I also feel that dead space one was scarier than 2. One did several instances of showing enemies shadows only to never see them appear, or vents blowing off like there's a necromorph in there only for nothing to show. I cannot count how many times I have heard sounds and could not tell if they were scripted noise or a necro sneaking up on me.

But then again, one isn't as scary a second time through. I think the first time it scared me because I did not know what to expect and did not understand the ai for the necros.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited January 2013

Or the
    fucking Ishimura
    I didn't say there was a total lack of atmosphere in ds2, there's some pieces amongst the running and gunning. But to me many of the features in this department were nowhere as well executed as they were in ds1. I think ds2 is a good game but it went for a direction I don't agree with. And this direction seems the one they've chosen with the third installment: I'm hoping ds3 isn't a total turkey but I also feel I'm being optimistic.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    Fists of DissentFists of Dissent Registered User regular
    Dead Space 2 is still fun when it's not scary. It's one of the most tense and atmospheric shooters out there, and it still gets very creepy and disturbing in areas like the church and the school, or the solar station (loved that part, the hallways were nerve-wracking) without it being a very scary game.

It's also pretty funny at times , like...
    "You should be fine as long as you avoid medical.
    -train halts-
    ״Unexpected malfunction. Welcome to medical."

T3NT0NH4MM3R.jpg
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I had some unnerved moments. For some reason demonic or evil children get me for some reason. So pretty much the majority of Titan Elementary was pure nightmare fuel for me. And thats before I found this evil goose And oh god..the eye scream moment. Seriously. One of the reasons I wont attempt Hardcore unless I made it there with a save to spare.

Far as Lullaby for DS3?
    Brahms' Lullaby
    All Through the Night
    Are you sleeping

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    yes. everyone saves a save on hardcore for the eye machine bit.

RxI0N.png
This discussion has been closed.